IGNORED

Getting your own back on the Bristol evening post

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Who remembers Shoot! magazine? Getting the cardboard league tables one week and then collecting the little cardboard tabs for each team, then updating the positions of all of the teams each week, was a big part of my childhoood.

Yep....1978/79 - Bristol City.....Top flight!E3B850B7-D5E9-4208-B5A4-CF45B03D7674.jpeg.34bb355a890c699fffde2fd72bb5e500.jpeg

4 hours ago, 42nite said:

Wooten with his Bobby Charlton comb over.

At one stage I did the lot, evening round, morning round, Sunday round, and collecting Friday night and Saturday morning.  ?

Couldn't do that now!   

Didn't really associate him with Bobby Charlton as they both probably had more hair all them years ago and BC was not so high profile then.

5 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

Yep....1978/79 - Bristol City.....Top flight!E3B850B7-D5E9-4208-B5A4-CF45B03D7674.jpeg.34bb355a890c699fffde2fd72bb5e500.jpeg

Yeah Shoot and Goal great Football Mags back in the day. Seem to remember there was a TV advert. Goal the Worlds greatest Soccer Weekly.

Think you could order Football kits from the mags. (big teams only) Fans at the games back then just wore a red and white scarf.

As for the Green Un,so remember getting it in Melvin Square. My Nan lived in Kerry Road. Can so recall getting it and reading about Galley scoring a hattrick at Carlisle.? on his debut. Think we drew the next game at home 1/1 and Galley scored. Slart will correct.

As for magazines anyone remember the Charles Buchan football album? Great gift at Christmas even tho it was in black and white!!!!

18 hours ago, redysteadygo said:

Yes, quite right Drew. Was trying to remember if my pay went to 12/6d or 15/- and got the two mixed up. 

As my school reports alluded to back 60 odd years " must try harder".

Don't worry about it mate.

All these young whippersnappers will get a shock when we do Brexit and Boris gets us back on pounds, shillings and pence!

Think I've still got a few tanners hanging about somewhere.... result!    ?

3 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Don't worry about it mate.

All these young whippersnappers will get a shock when we do Brexit and Boris gets us back on pounds, shillings and pence!

Think I've still got a few tanners hanging about somewhere.... result!    ?

Boris won’t make us want to use pounds, shillings and pence - LSD though: most certainly. 

On 15/06/2019 at 22:16, stephenkibby. said:

Yeah Shoot and Goal great Football Mags back in the day. Seem to remember there was a TV advert. Goal the Worlds greatest Soccer Weekly.

Think you could order Football kits from the mags. (big teams only) Fans at the games back then just wore a red and white scarf.

As for the Green Un,so remember getting it in Melvin Square. My Nan lived in Kerry Road. Can so recall getting it and reading about Galley scoring a hattrick at Carlisle.? on his debut. Think we drew the next game at home 1/1 and Galley scored. Slart will correct.

As for magazines anyone remember the Charles Buchan football album? Great gift at Christmas even tho it was in black and white!!!!

Galley debut hat trick was at Huddersfield.....and yeah the Football Annual was a must Xmas present!

On 15/06/2019 at 18:58, Taz said:

So....has anybody worked out how we get our own back on the EP then?

:laugh:

Buy the paper but not read it - that would fox 'em! 

Bit like getting your own back on the railways by buying a return ticket but not coming back.

After a match in late 70s  I got off the 42 bus in Stoke Bishop and popped into the newsagents to get a Green Un.

As I was paying for it,  a lad  came in behind me and the newsagent starting congratulating him. As I turned round I realised he was Kevin Mabbutt who had just got back from the game (complete with black eye) in which he'd  scored a goal (1-1 v Aston Villa maybe?).

I suppose I should have congratulated him as well but I was a bit surprised and said nothing. 

• Admin
On 15/06/2019 at 18:58, Taz said:

So....has anybody worked out how we get our own back on the EP then?

:laugh:

I was reading this thread and wondering the same thing @Taz

For those that used to read the Green un etc, the West Country Independent on a Sunday is a decent read and covers lots of local sport from all levels

Archived