IGNORED

Diego Maradona

2 minutes ago, yardy said:

Cant wait to see this, the other documentaries they have made have been brilliant.....and what a life Maradona had......the cheating so and so

Incredible character and career, no one else has come close in all this time since her first hit Like A Virgin all those years ago..

2 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Incredible character and career, no one else has come close in all this time since her first hit Like A Virgin all those years ago..

Ahahaha i was just about to pull you up for praising him then :laugh:

38 minutes ago, 77 punk said:

tim you are right the handball takes away how magnificent he was me and terry loved the film

Magnificent footballer,  if Gary Lineker had done what Maradona did at the other end ( re the handball) every Englishman would class him as a national hero. So who can blame Argentinians for feeling that re Maradona!

His second goal in the 86 game was unbelievable, but to an extent still gets overshadowed by the first, but only in this country. 

I didn’t know about this film, look forward to watching it. 

3 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

His second goal in the 86 game was unbelievable, but to an extent still gets overshadowed by the first, but only in this country. 

To be fair, all he did in his second goal was out pace Peter Reid, mug off Terry Fenwick, and stick a toe out quicker than Terry butcher.

For me the remarkable goal was out jumping Peter Shilton at 5'2".

It's a great film though.

17 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Blokes a **** simple as 

Forget the handball for a moment... 

He states a very good case for being the best player that’s ever lived. He’s certainly in the top few, ever. 

However, off the pitch, he’s a vile human being and has pissed the rest of his life down the drain. 

I will watch the documentary with interest at some stage, but I won’t shed any tears when his body eventually packs up on him. 

For me the hand of god stuff is so over the top

He put the ball in the net with his hand So he cheated

There were thousands of dives before he ever did that All cheating

Been thousands of dives, hand balls and players getting others sent off since ALL CHEATING

His hand ball is no better or worse than any other form of cheating

The guy who put the documentary together was interviewed on Radio 4 this week. Interesting stuff. He had a bit of trouble arranging his interviews with Maradona, who sometimes cancelled at the last minute or was not in the mood to say much. At other times he was apparently very open and talkative. 

Great footballer, flawed person. 

I love that picture of him (presumably the 1986 World Cup) with the ball and a row of about 5 Belgium defenders looking absolutely terrified. 

My other abiding memory is his demented bulging-eyed goal celebration (1994?) shortly before he was tested positive for drugs. 

2 hours ago, Offside said:

The guy who put the documentary together was interviewed on Radio 4 this week. Interesting stuff. He had a bit of trouble arranging his interviews with Maradona, who sometimes cancelled at the last minute or was not in the mood to say much. At other times he was apparently very open and talkative. 

Great footballer, flawed person. 

I love that picture of him (presumably the 1986 World Cup) with the ball and a row of about 5 Belgium defenders looking absolutely terrified

My other abiding memory is his demented bulging-eyed goal celebration (1994?) shortly before he was tested positive for drugs. 

It is a great pic, if slightly misleading. 

Gary lineker told a story once that about half an hour before an England Argentina game Maradonna goes onto the pitch stands on the centre spot kicks a football straight up about 30 feet, dosent move from centre spot and volleys the ball straight back up repeating this about 6 times in his warm up until he was bored.

The England team were in ore of this and tried it the next day, the whole team not managing to do one volley! Try it sometime it's virtually impossible

Just watched the film... loved it.  OK, aside from the hand of god stuff... the story of his rag to riches to self destruction is essential viewing for football fans...  

Think it needs to be watched on the big screen though as it may lose its impact? (I think when it gets eventually released on mainstream TV, the picture could look grainy and the sound of tackles not as forceful). 

What I was also amazed at was the price of the cinema ticket at vue at cribbs - £5.50 each .. don't know if they dropped ticket prices or if its just for this film...?

3 hours ago, SouthStand Sandwich said:

Just watched the film... loved it.  OK, aside from the hand of god stuff... the story of his rag to riches to self destruction is essential viewing for football fans...  

Think it needs to be watched on the big screen though as it may lose its impact? (I think when it gets eventually released on mainstream TV, the picture could look grainy and the sound of tackles not as forceful). 

What I was also amazed at was the price of the cinema ticket at vue at cribbs - £5.50 each .. don't know if they dropped ticket prices or if its just for this film...?

Think that's normal for Vue cinemas now, thankfully. Sadly, it ain't the same for other cinemas though, as they're still massively overpriced. 

9 hours ago, norwichrobin said:

Gary lineker told a story once that about half an hour before an England Argentina game Maradonna goes onto the pitch stands on the centre spot kicks a football straight up about 30 feet, dosent move from centre spot and volleys the ball straight back up repeating this about 6 times in his warm up until he was bored.

The England team were in ore of this and tried it the next day, the whole team not managing to do one volley! Try it sometime it's virtually impossible

Had not heard the volley story before. But there is a similar story from Zidane on a different training routine:

8 hours ago, Akira said:

Think that's normal for Vue cinemas now, thankfully. Sadly, it ain't the same for other cinemas though, as they're still massively overpriced. 

Taunton Odeon - overpriced, has eight screens but rarely shows anything but mainstream teen blockbuster crap.

Maradona remains the only man to have won a World Cup single-handedly (excuse the pun) for his country. That Argentina team of 1986 was nothing special apart from him. Valdano and Burrachaga were good players but nothing special. 

In 2014 an exhausted Messi just about dragged Argentina to the final but could not get them over the line. 

Archived