IGNORED

Diego Maradona

16 hours ago, glen humphries said:

Do you think terry Henry’s a *** as well done exactly the same to the Irish, yet I hat seems to be forgotten, because it wasn’t against England I suppose 

Snowflake?

On 15/06/2019 at 18:47, Bar BS3 said:

Forget the handball for a moment... 

He states a very good case for being the best player that’s ever lived. He’s certainly in the top few, ever. 

However, off the pitch, he’s a vile human being and has pissed the rest of his life down the drain. 

I will watch the documentary with interest at some stage, but I won’t shed any tears when his body eventually packs up on him. 

It's a hard one for Englishmen. Maradona cheated us out of what could have been. Also his time away from the game has done his public image zero good.

But still undeniably one of the greatest players and a fascinating story.

On 15/06/2019 at 22:38, norwichrobin said:

Gary lineker told a story once that about half an hour before an England Argentina game Maradonna goes onto the pitch stands on the centre spot kicks a football straight up about 30 feet, dosent move from centre spot and volleys the ball straight back up repeating this about 6 times in his warm up until he was bored.

The England team were in ore of this and tried it the next day, the whole team not managing to do one volley! Try it sometime it's virtually impossible

Im pretty sure ive heard hoddle tell the same story,, and theres not much glen hoddle couldnt do with a ball!

funny enough i popped down to the shop at ashton gate with my boy who would have been 8, last year. He always has a ball with him wherever he goes and proceeds to start juggling it in the carpark, when outside the pizzeria he actually started kicking it higher and higher, probably getting up to about 15 feet, and doing the same sort of thing, volleying it straight back up, using the outside of his foot to slice it and put spin in it! He did it 3 or 4 times then got bored and did something else with it. I think i commented about crazy tekkers, and shame no one was walking past from the club to see that. He recently attended a trials day with the club but evidently nothings come of it ?

ps, re maradona, completely nuts, but the most naturally gifted footballer to ever play the game. I always like to watch the life is live video of him warming up.

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 17:25, glen humphries said:

Do you think terry Henry’s a *** as well done exactly the same to the Irish, yet I hat seems to be forgotten, because it wasn’t against England I suppose

Maradona is a *** because he did it against England. Henry isn't because he did it against Ireland. Vice versa for Ireland fans, no doubt. Which is fair enough.

8 hours ago, Red7 said:

Maradona is a *** because he did it against England. Henry isn't because he did it against Ireland. Vice versa for Ireland fans, no doubt. Which is fair enough.

Plus Henry doesn’t gloat about it, pass it off as the “hand of god” or try to justify it as vengeance from a war..! 

Henry also isn’t a drug induced, alcoholic, violent criminal. 

Henry messed up, big time - but otherwise was a pretty decent role model who maximised his potential. 

Maradona was/is a manual manipulator who didn’t make the most of his talent. Having said that, it’s actually incredible to think how good he could have been, if he had applied himself properly..!  

18 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Plus Henry doesn’t gloat about it, pass it off as the “hand of god” or try to justify it as vengeance from a war..! 

Henry also isn’t a drug induced, alcoholic, violent criminal. 

Henry messed up, big time - but otherwise was a pretty decent role model who maximised his potential. 

Maradona was/is a manual manipulator who didn’t make the most of his talent. Having said that, it’s actually incredible to think how good he could have been, if he had applied himself properly..!  

To be fair, he won a World Cup and got to the final of another. You make him sound like Jay Emmanuel Thomas

Watched it last night. The archive they have found is remarkable, quite apart from his life they have amazing footage of player and fan celebrations, some of the best of which was shot by the leader of the Napoli Ultras. You get clear sense of what he meant to people in Naples and why Napoli was the perfect club for him.

But apart from everything everyone else has said in this thread about the insights into what a great player and complex person he was this is also a film which captures just how wildly exciting football can be - which sets up the release of the fixtures later today rather nicely!

On 19/06/2019 at 00:17, Bar BS3 said:

who didn’t make the most of his talent. Having said that, it’s actually incredible to think how good he could have been, if he had applied himself properly..! 

I think, on balance, he did totally make the most of his talent. If he had been clean, we could say he could/should have achieved more. However, given the fact, at the apex of his career, he used to party Sunday night till Wednesday then train that out of his system in the gym and on the training ground till Sunday morning - considering that, winning the WC by himself (and that's not an exaggeration) and lo scudetto twice with a provincial club who were up against the might/bribery of the northern Italian clubs, he performed and conquered pretty extraordinarily in a short space of time (85-91). He was always going to have addiction problems: his background, upbringing, character and choice of club made this inevitable. If you accept that, he applied himself fairly rigourously. A lot of this depends on whether you view him as "an Argie" or simply a magnificent footballer. Cada uno a lo suyo/ognuno al suo/each to his own.

On 19/06/2019 at 00:37, AshtonGreat said:

To be fair, he won a World Cup and got to the final of another. You make him sound like Jay Emmanuel Thomas

I think the thing is if he did apply himself like Messi/Ronaldo there wouldn't be any debate of who was the greatest player of all time imo (behind JET obviously if he also did the same).

2 hours ago, wood_red said:

I think the thing is if he did apply himself like Messi/Ronaldo there wouldn't be any debate of who was the greatest player of all time imo (behind JET obviously if he also did the same).

We'll never know. The point is, he didn't whereas Messi especially and also Ronaldo have been magnificent for over a decade. A phenomenal achievement that far exceeds one World Cup win, where you only have to play well for like seven games. 

3 hours ago, wood_red said:

That made me laugh out load, it really did.... not good in an open plan office (that I meant to be in charge of), when I was just sneaking onto OTIB to get my daily fix of city....

Top marks Sir!

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

We'll never know. The point is, he didn't whereas Messi especially and also Ronaldo have been magnificent for over a decade. A phenomenal achievement that far exceeds one World Cup win, where you only have to play well for like seven games. 

No we won't ever know and people will always have a different opinion. But my point is plenty will still say he was the best ever for the overall little he did in what you describe, then surely if he did apply himself like Messi and Ronaldo there wouldn't be much contest (even taking in how good they are). Still we will never know as it is just opinions and guesswork!!

Archived