IGNORED

Best City related newspaper front page headlines?

WhistleHappy

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 08:38, pongo88 said:

“Bristol had enough chances in the second half to have won but failed to take advantage of them”. Nothing has changed in over 100 years 

It feels that way, doesn't it!  But for a bit of context regarding that quote, allow me to point out that:

1) We were missing our top scorer in the Cup Final.

Willis Rippon was injured, having scored 5 goals in 9 FA Cup ties in our run to the Final (including an equalising penalty with the last kick of the game in the Semi-final against Derby County, played at Frank Lampard's Stamford Bridge) .    

2) Manure's Sandy Turnbull, 4 goals in 6 FA Cup ties, was also injured before the Cup Final but, unlike our man, was passed fit to play on the day.

He scored the only goal of the game.

An "interesting" character Turnbull. Turncoat Turnbull. He was, is, a Man City legend but jumped ship to join Manure in season 1906-07. The previous season, 1905-06, both City and Manure had been promoted to the First Division, City as Champions and Manure mere runners-up. Then in 1906-07, despite Turnbull's best efforts, Manure finished precisely nowhere whilst the mighty City finished 2nd to Newcastle, just 3 points shy of being the Champion team of all England. Since then, we've mostly gone in one direction and them in the other, but for a while back then City and Manure were tete-a-tete, mano-e-mano,  Anyway, back to Turnbull... the scorer of the goal that beat us in the FA Cup Final was subsequently convicted of match fixing in 1915 and banned for life after betting on, and arranging the result of, a Manure v Liverpool fixture. The ban was rescinded in 1919, which may have had something or nothing to do with the fact that he was killed at the Battle of Arras in 1917. His body was never recovered and his name is commemorated at the Arras Memorial.     

Anyway, I should really let it lie but that 1909 Cup Final...

On 16/06/2019 at 11:18, Rudolf Hucker said:

Yeah, still calling us 'Bristol'.

It happens all of the time up here. In work today (Bradford) , I was telling the northern folk,, ( A mixture of Bradford City, Leeds, Huddersfield, Halifax, Man City, Liverpool & even a Chelski fan )  about our badge change. As always the comments were ..... That Bristol club...     My northern friends only know `City` as Manchester City

Its now getting boring trying to re-educate folk, that we ARE NOT Bristol Rugby !!!

On 16/06/2019 at 11:55, harrys said:

I thought we were given that headline after having three sent off in a midweek night game at Palace back in the late ‘70’s/early ‘80’s

The Hibernian chairman referred to us as butchers when we played them at Easter Road in the Anglo-Scottish cup. In the return leg many city supporters wore white  coats like butchers used to. 

Archived