IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So you said you know he’s bought a house in Bristol because ‘someone said on here’ - but now you say you ‘do know’ - which is it?

So, again, how do you know he’s bought a house in Bristol? It’s a reasonable question to be asked on a Transfer Forum ...

Someone told me

17 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So you said you know he’s bought a house in Bristol because ‘someone said on here’ - but now you say you ‘do know’ - which is it?

So, again, how do you know he’s bought a house in Bristol? It’s a reasonable question to be asked on a Transfer Forum ...

It’s been mentioned on here quite a lot and on OSIB

21 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Someone told me

Life is too short to be a wind up merchant .... happy Saturday... you obviously know nothing yet pretend you do - the scourge of social media ....

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Taken from Daily Mirror football. This would be a kick in the nuts 

Premier League clubs eyeing Bristol City's Webster

Adam Webster will be at the centre of a transfer tug-of-war this summer.

Bristol City’s defender has only been at Ashton Gate for one season following a £3.5m move from Ipswich Town.

But a number of clubs who themselves have suitors eyeing their own stoppers will turn to 24-year-old Webster if they are caught short.

Wolves have been linked with James Tarkowski, leaving a space to fill at Turf Moor and Burnley are showing a keen interest.

But they are not alone. Newcastle, Southampton and Watford are also monitoring the situation.

The Robins have already banked £13m from the sale of Lloyd Kelly to Bournemouth this season and appear to have a fight on their hands to keep hold of another one of Lee Johnson’s main men.

Did Webster cost £3.5 million, thought we got him for a fraction of that or am I mixing him up with someone else?

5 minutes ago, pillred said:

Did Webster cost £3.5 million, thought we got him for a fraction of that or am I mixing him up with someone else?

You're mixing him up, Webster was highly thought of by Ipswich and cost us closer to 4 million than 3.

2 hours ago, stevep38 said:

Cant keep getting  rid of your best players each year, understand the ££££ wages ect of a prem move but that's down to LJ and the board to attract better players so our good players can hopefully realise there prem dream with us.  What was it lj said, we will be bold with recruitment,  prem ready players ect.  

Going to get a lot of flack for this but I didn't renew my season ticket this year for the first time for 28 years for precisely  the reasons you stated, had a feeling we would lose a number of players again this season, last time we recruited fairly well, this time I have my doubts, sincerely hope I'm wrong and I'm eating humble pie and getting a half season ticket in December.

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I'm adamant that Webster won't go unless we are receiving a fee of £20m+.

However if he were departing I'd hope our scouts have been looking at John Souttar of Hearts.

Souttar is an odd one. Always felt he's had far more potential than he's actually displayed in his performances.

RE Webdini £25m starting point. 

We shouldn't stand in his way (bare with me here), it's not what we do and we don't want a reputation for not selling to the prem - it is short sighted in that it will put doubt in the minds of anyone looking to sign and use us as a stepping stone, I think £17m is a reasonable fee for an experienced relativly young defender at this level. 

Would we be happy to sell Webster if it meant we got Kalas and a Prem level striker?

13 minutes ago, Pezo said:

We shouldn't stand in his way (bare with me here), it's not what we do and we don't want a reputation for not selling to the prem - it is short sighted in that it will put doubt in the minds of anyone looking to sign and use us as a stepping stone, I think £17m is a reasonable fee for an experienced relativly young defender at this level. 

Would we be happy to sell Webster if it meant we got Kalas and a Prem level striker?

I think every player has a price, and 17 is too cheap. We will likely get 17 for Kelly after extras. Webster has to be 20 minimum. I think city might even ask for more than that and won't sell this summer because teams won't spend it.

Next summer after hopefully another great season, or maybe even better season, his price only goes up. And teams might be more willing to spend real crazy money.

If the message to these young players is you have to likely be with us 2 years before getting a big move to prem, then that's still a great message. Not many would expect to make such an instant impact as Webster.

Appreciate that everyone has their price but selling Webster would be a disaster - we’d be in a position (as it stands) to nearly totally have to rebuild a successful defence, we’d have to replace Kelly, Dasilva , Kalas, Pisano and Webster - imagine that would cost a fair whack itself 

6 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

You're mixing him up, Webster was highly thought of by Ipswich and cost us closer to 4 million than 3.

I remember being surprised at how much he was when we signed him. Am sure it was suggested the 3.5/4m was the upfront fee but that it could rise to around 6 or 7m with add ons.

I'd try asking him to stay for 1 more season to see if we can go up with an agreement if we don't then he can leave if we get offered x amount next summer IF he signs a 1 year extension to keep his value up, probably a bit of a wage increase to persuade him to want to stick around.

7 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I'm adamant that Webster won't go unless we are receiving a fee of £20m+.

However if he were departing I'd hope our scouts have been looking at John Souttar of Hearts.

Why Souttar? Not impressed me when I’ve seen him and Steve Clarke is the third Scottish manager to have McKenna and Mulgrew ahead of him 

9 hours ago, RedDave said:

Apparently he bought an apartment in the new The General near the centre.  

The question surely is not just whether this is true, but even if it is, whether it can be taken to mean anything.

Highly paid footballers have a lot of disposable income, which their agents will advise them to invest, and the majority will, if they’re sensible, do precisely that. Property is now the preferred investment of many thousands of people who want to save for the long term future, as pension provision or whatever, with cash still only offering very low interest rates and the stock market subject to the usual uncertainties. The BBC was reporting yesterday that second home or buy-to-let ownership levels are now at an all-time high, and still rising rapidly.

As TK was playing and living in the city at the time this attractive development was being marketed, it would be perfectly natural for someone in his position to take an interest. True or false, it’s a non-story and tells us nothing much about the likelihood of him signing permanently for City. This should be filed along with the Alan Curbishley/Avon Gorge Hotel material from a few years back.

Firstly, Webster was (according to comments at the time) £3.5m rising to £8.0m. We understand a lot of the add-on was appearance related because of his previous injury record. Ipswich will undoubtedly have a sell-on too, usually 20%.  Ipswich probably have a sell-on with Portsmouth too, but that’s their problem!

What we don’t know is whether Webster achieved any of those add-ons yet. Guess that is immaterial to some extent. 

Assuming there is interest out there, and why wouldn’t there be, this will not be a shock to club and player (and agent).

We need to ask ourselves what kind of conversation LJ had with AW in their end of season appraisal. And surely some of that discussion will have centred around not just last season’s performances, but future and in particular, what will happen if a Prem club comes in with a big enough offer.

i might be a million miles out here, but I very much doubt we would’ve accepted the offer for Kelly had Webster not given us some commitment to the 19/20 season.  We certainly don’t have to sell him for financial reasons, and I very much doubt LJ signs a new deal without backing of SL to reject any bids for players like Webster  

You would also like to think that there might have also been discussion with Webster about who his partner might be, e.g. Tomas is coming back too.

I can’t imagine that the thoroughness of LJ and MA would allow our back line to be ripped apart.  Pisano, Kalas, Webster, Kelly and Dasilva all gone?  Just can’t see it personally  

@Robbored papertalk? Exactly.  

8 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Souttar is an odd one. Always felt he's had far more potential than he's actually displayed in his performances.

RE Webdini £25m starting point. 

4 hours ago, RedDave said:

Why Souttar? Not impressed me when I’ve seen him and Steve Clarke is the third Scottish manager to have McKenna and Mulgrew ahead of him 

The lad has tonnes of potential and is younger than Webster.

Down to the lad himself but Souttar could go very far.

Soon as i heard that Webster might be going this summer, this sent me into a complete and utter melt down. I'm shaking at the kness about this possible news. With no kalas or dasilva on board, a potential full nervous breakdown on fathers day is on the cards. I'm going down the pub to drown my tears :(

4 minutes ago, Arkateee said:

Soon as i heard that Webster might be going this summer, this sent me into a complete and utter melt down. I'm shaking at the kness about this possible news. With no kalas or dasilva on board, a potential full nervous breakdown on fathers day is on the cards. I'm going down the pub to drown my tears :(

Calm down ffs. We've still got Jack Hunt. ;)

8 minutes ago, Arkateee said:

Surely this a joke?

30 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

If a Prem club  comes in he will be gone, and form a great fee I am sure. Too many clubs linked for there not to be something there. Busy summer ahead 

Easy journalism - look at the better defenders in the Champ, look at the teams in the Prem who might buy from the Champ who might need a defender.  Start a story.

And of course, all 4 teams will be discussing their targets openly won’t they (not)....nor have we heard any mischievous stuff from player or agent.

If a big 6 Prem club came in, I think it would be a different matter, but they won’t be looking at Webster.

Archived