IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

I guess it would up to whether Webster will want to jump ship to a Prem team to how much we can ask for.

If he wants to go, I'd say £15m would get him, if he doesn't get unhappy with trying to negotiate, then £20-£25m we can try for.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Firstly, Webster was (according to comments at the time) £3.5m rising to £8.0m. We understand a lot of the add-on was appearance related because of his previous injury record. Ipswich will undoubtedly have a sell-on too, usually 20%.  Ipswich probably have a sell-on with Portsmouth too, but that’s their problem!

What we don’t know is whether Webster achieved any of those add-ons yet. Guess that is immaterial to some extent. 

Assuming there is interest out there, and why wouldn’t there be, this will not be a shock to club and player (and agent).

We need to ask ourselves what kind of conversation LJ had with AW in their end of season appraisal. And surely some of that discussion will have centred around not just last season’s performances, but future and in particular, what will happen if a Prem club comes in with a big enough offer.

i might be a million miles out here, but I very much doubt we would’ve accepted the offer for Kelly had Webster not given us some commitment to the 19/20 season.  We certainly don’t have to sell him for financial reasons, and I very much doubt LJ signs a new deal without backing of SL to reject any bids for players like Webster  

You would also like to think that there might have also been discussion with Webster about who his partner might be, e.g. Tomas is coming back too.

I can’t imagine that the thoroughness of LJ and MA would allow our back line to be ripped apart.  Pisano, Kalas, Webster, Kelly and Dasilva all gone?  Just can’t see it personally  

@Robbored papertalk? Exactly.  

Good points Davefevs, however, there are as ever so many variables involved. Ultimately IMO if the right offer comes in, which suits both BCFC and AW, then we will sell and wish him well.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Easy journalism - look at the better defenders in the Champ, look at the teams in the Prem who might buy from the Champ who might need a defender.  Start a story.

And of course, all 4 teams will be discussing their targets openly won’t they (not)....nor have we heard any mischievous stuff from player or agent.

If a big 6 Prem club came in, I think it would be a different matter, but they won’t be looking at Webster.... Yet.

Fixed.

10 hours ago, Pezo said:

We shouldn't stand in his way (bare with me here), it's not what we do and we don't want a reputation for not selling to the prem - it is short sighted in that it will put doubt in the minds of anyone looking to sign and use us as a stepping stone, I think £17m is a reasonable fee for an experienced relativly young defender at this level. 

Would we be happy to sell Webster if it meant we got Kalas and a Prem level striker?

I was happy to sell Kelly if it meant getting Kalas and a striker. Kelly and Webster - no chance.

We've already got a great reputation as a place for players to develop and potentially move on their careers. What we need to be wary of is going too far and becoming known as a soft touch, who'll sell anyone once a good offer comes in.

As good as LJ's interview was on Sound of the City the other month, the one little thing that did concern me a bit was how readily he said when a PL club comes calling we won't stand in anyone's way.

We've got to stand firm and say no sometimes, else we'll put ourselves in a terrible negotiating position with both other clubs and our own players in contract talks - not to mention the need to demonstrate to fans and everyone else that when we say we mean business, it's not just hot air.

This feels to me like one of those times.

Edit: Of course this rumour is probably just a load of b*llocks in any case

39 minutes ago, bcfctim said:

I was happy to sell Kelly if it meant getting Kalas and a striker. Kelly and Webster - no chance.

We've already got a great reputation as a place for players to develop and potentially move on their careers. What we need to be wary of is going too far and becoming known as a soft touch, who'll sell anyone once a good offer comes in.

As good as LJ's interview was on Sound of the City the other month, the one little thing that did concern me a bit was how readily he said when a PL club comes calling we won't stand in anyone's way.

We've got to stand firm and say no sometimes, else we'll put ourselves in a terrible negotiating position with both other clubs and our own players in contract talks - not to mention the need to demonstrate to fans and everyone else that when we say we mean business, it's not just hot air.

This feels to me like one of those times.

Edit: Of course this rumour is probably just a load of b*llocks in any case

Totally agree. You only have to look at Southampton as a prime example who have sold so many talented players and struggled ever since.

3 minutes ago, Sarumred said:

Totally agree. You only have to look at Southampton as a prime example who have sold so many talented players and struggled ever since.

Southampton went from playing their own style to a "survival at all costs" mentality. That's where things went wrong for them.

5 hours ago, grifty said:

I guess it would up to whether Webster will want to jump ship to a Prem team to how much we can ask for.

If he wants to go, I'd say £15m would get him, if he doesn't get unhappy with trying to negotiate, then £20-£25m we can try for.

I don't agree that we should sell for 5-10 million less if he's unhappy. Should not really come into it should it?

I would have to add that if we sold Webster,  could that have a negative view on Kalas joining as if we didn't get an adequate replacement he Kalas might think why join a club with little or no ambition to go up.

57 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

If the club sell him it shows we have no ambition at all to get to the Prem

Outstanding talent that is a must stay   

How exactly? Pay him more than a Prem club would offer him? You need to back up your indignation with some realism.

51 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

I’m sure we’d all love to see Webdini sign a new contract but should he move on then so what? Many thought the same this time last season at the thought of Flint and Bryan moving on and what ended up happening? 

There are enough very decent CBs around, several probably unknown to most of us but I have faith in the scouting system and faith in LJ to have covered 100% all the various transfer possibilities.

49 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Outstanding talents will be in demand from higher up so they won't stay.

SL has stated all players are available at (what City consider) the right price and that none of us - including him - should get too attached to individual players.

We are very much a selling club and most certainly when it comes to accepting very big bids from PL clubs.

We just need to get used to to that. If that acceptable bid comes in, there's little doubt the player will want to go, and the club's philosophy is to not stand in his way, but to let him go and invest in the next up and coming talent.

It is public knowledge that is the way the club operates now,  not only throughout the football world, but indeed it's well understood by new players when they agree to sign for us in the first place.

I'd hate to see Webster go, but there's a high chance that 'acceptable' bid will come in this Summer imo.

Where that leaves our ambition to get to the PL is very much open to debate, but if we sell the likes of Webster it's probably fair to say we're in no great hurry to get there.

44 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

When have you seen him? And he was in the Scotland U21s up until last year - so have three Scotland managers really overlooked him? 

Seen him on TV.  The Scotland national team are awful so I would doubt managers would be wilfully ruling out players they deem good enough.  

18 hours ago, citywest30 said:

I remember being surprised at how much he was when we signed him. Am sure it was suggested the 3.5/4m was the upfront fee but that it could rise to around 6 or 7m with add ons.

Up to 8m according to Wikipedia.

7 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Outstanding talents will be in demand from higher up so they won't stay.

SL has stated all players are available at (what City consider) the right price and that none of us - including him - should get too attached to individual players.

We are very much a selling club and most certainly when it comes to accepting very big bids from PL clubs.

We just need to get used to to that. If that acceptable bid comes in, there's little doubt the player will want to go, and the club's philosophy is to not stand in his way, but to let him go and invest in the next up and coming talent.

It is public knowledge that is the way the club operates now,  not only throughout the football world, but indeed it's well understood by new players when they agree to sign for us in the first place.

I'd hate to see Webster go, but there's a high chance that 'acceptable' bid will come in this Summer imo.

Where that leaves our ambition to get to the PL is very much open to debate, but if we sell the likes of Webster it's probably fair to say we're in no great hurry to get there.

I think it is virtually impossible to keep a player if he wants to go to play for another club offering much more money and more prestige .

We just need to show the players that they are better off progressing their careers with regular first team opportunities than they would most likely get at another club .

The grass isn’t always greener and could result in their career stalling.

The other aspect to consider is the upheaval of the player’s family if he goes after one good season.

Webster has just transferred from a Suffolk club , have his family moved here ?

9 hours ago, stevep38 said:

I would have to add that if we sold Webster,  could that have a negative view on Kalas joining as if we didn't get an adequate replacement he Kalas might think why join a club with little or no ambition to go up.

It wouldn’t surprise me any potential deal with Kalas is probably based on us keeping Webster. They were superb last season together, if we sell Webster I’d be surprised if Kalas joined 

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’m sure we’d all love to see Webdini sign a new contract but should he move on then so what? Many thought the same this time last season at the thought of Flint and Bryan moving on and what ended up happening? 

There are enough very decent CBs around, several probably unknown to most of us but I have faith in the scouting system and faith in LJ to have covered 100% all the various transfer possibilities.

So what? 

I get we will have targets lined up in all scenarios but there are no guarantees. At some point we need to keep most of our best players to compete. We can’t lose Kelly, Webster and Brownhill and expect to be top half because we recruited well last summer. There are some players you just have to accept will be a major loss. Webster is one of them no matter the faith placed in the staff to get the replacement right

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I think it is virtually impossible to keep a player if he wants to go to play for another club offering much more money and more prestige .

We just need to show the players that they are better off progressing their careers with regular first team opportunities than they would most likely get at another club .

The grass isn’t always greener and could result in their career stalling.

The other aspect to consider is the upheaval of the player’s family if he goes after one good season.

Webster has just transferred from a Suffolk club , have his family moved here ?

Just ask Reid, Bryan and Flinty .

38 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

So what? 

I get we will have targets lined up in all scenarios but there are no guarantees. At some point we need to keep most of our best players to compete. We can’t lose Kelly, Webster and Brownhill and expect to be top half because we recruited well last summer. There are some players you just have to accept will be a major loss. Webster is one of them no matter the faith placed in the staff to get the replacement right

My point is that LJ has a very decent first team recruitment record......and that Webdini and Kalas were largely unknown to most of us fans this time last year but developed into a stronger CB pairing than Flint/Baker/Wright......Absolutely no reason why if Webdini and or Kalas aren’t at AG come August that LJ will have recruited other CBs that most of us wouldn’t be aware of.

Its not luck or coincidence that Kalas/Webdini performances were so impressive - that’s down to LJ bringing in the right type of players - the much maligned ‘DNA’ if you like.

Like most City fans I’d be a little disappointed if Webdini moves on but it wouldn’t be the end of the world........:cool2:.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

My point is that LJ has a very decent first team recruitment record......and that Webdini and Kalas were largely unknown to most of us fans this time last year but developed into a stronger CB pairing than Flint/Baker/Wright......Absolutely no reason why if Webdini and or Kalas aren’t at AG come August that LJ will have recruited other CBs that most of us wouldn’t be aware of.

Its not luck or coincidence that Kalas/Webdini performances were so impressive - that’s down to LJ bringing in the right type of players - the much maligned ‘DNA’ if you like.

Like most City fans I’d be a little disappointed if Webdini moves on but it wouldn’t be the end of the world........:cool2:.

At least if he does move on I won’t have to see anyone referring to Webster as ‘Webdini’ anymore...

Archived