IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

My point is that LJ has a very decent first team recruitment record......and that Webdini and Kalas were largely unknown to most of us fans this time last year but developed into a stronger CB pairing than Flint/Baker/Wright......Absolutely no reason why if Webdini and or Kalas aren’t at AG come August that LJ will have recruited other CBs that most of us wouldn’t be aware of.

Its not luck or coincidence that Kalas/Webdini performances were so impressive - that’s down to LJ bringing in the right type of players - the much maligned ‘DNA’ if you like.

Like most City fans I’d be a little disappointed if Webdini moves on but it wouldn’t be the end of the world........:cool2:.

No I get it with recruitment in mind but surely you have seen the affect of selling too many of your best players. Brentford was a playoff side the year before we were promoted and have finished lower and lower each season and their recruitment is seen as successful. Southampton as well. Were pushing Europa League spots but always willing to sell for profit. Now barely avoiding relegation. 

I know we need to sell to survive better than most but if we have already sold for a good sum(Kelly) then we should have a harder stance? There is still a goal of steady progression that we need to maintain. If that is the case then we need to keep our core best players mostly intact

The more I think of this, the more I think Webster will be gone. A prem club would have to pay silly money, but it's not like they haven't got it. Any club who need a centre back, he's the one to go for.

Obvious thing for us to do is to only sell for something like 25 million, maybe realistically after add ons, 18-20 up front. Buy Ajayi 3-5 million. I'm hoping we have already bought Kalas. Re-invest Webster money in other areas along with Kelly money and any other money we have made or will make from further sales.

If all this was to happen, then at least we would have a very similar player in Ajayi replacing Webster. He really is superb on the ball, as well as being quick, strong and dominant in the air. It's not what I ideally want, but every player has a price.

The problem now is that Clubs have very little power. If a good player wants a move, he will move. If we play hard ball - in terms of not playing them due to a drop off in their performance or us ‘punishing them’ for not signing a longer contract  - then ultimately it likely to cost in terms of diminishing transfer fee  (contract length/ not showcasing). 

See that Webster, on a Twitter posting today, is top of the Championship charts of progressive centre backs. As much as I’d love him to stay, he’ll have a price and I would be disappointed if less than £25 million. 

Clearly, we and many others are selling Clubs. Critical, if you are playing the selling game you have the very best of scouting networks. That should be a top priority and funded accordingly. Academy 1 status may also be necessary. Even those actions though won’t necessarily ensure progression, but it gives you the best chance. 

My concern is that we are very hit and miss on the scouting front. We ain’t going to get everyone right but, Lummydaze, we’ve bought in some right donkeys. The Academy is improving, but when players at the ages 19/20 go out to other Clubs they’ve got to be competing in League 1, top of League 2, playing consistently and at least 50% of them being regular star performers.  I don’t see that with our Club at present. We had, what, three players who met the standard of football requirement of which only one had star quality. To be a sustainable strategy, the production line - after 30 years of development - should be delivering better than that imo. 

19 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

The more I think of this, the more I think Webster will be gone. A prem club would have to pay silly money, but it's not like they haven't got it. Any club who need a centre back, he's the one to go for.

Obvious thing for us to do is to only sell for something like 25 million, maybe realistically after add ons, 18-20 up front. Buy Ajayi 3-5 million. I'm hoping we have already bought Kalas. Re-invest Webster money in other areas along with Kelly money and any other money we have made or will make from further sales.

If all this was to happen, then at least we would have a very similar player in Ajayi replacing Webster. He really is superb on the ball, as well as being quick, strong and dominant in the air. It's not what I ideally want, but every player has a price.

The more I think about it, the more I think Webster (Webdini, Webenbauer,) will be here this season coming.  As I said yesterday, I can’t believe LJ and MA haven’t sat down and discussed plans with AW about what will happen if offers come in.  If AW said he’d like to entertain any offers, then you can be sure AW and his agent would know the kind of offer likely to perk our interest.  Couple that with Kelly going, Webster is gonna know that City don’t need to sell him....and that price on his head is gonna be massive....got to be £20m+ with several add-ons and sell-on percentage. ⬇️

7 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Will Premier League clubs pay £18m+ for a centre back who has never played top flight football? I can’t see a precedent, even considering that fees have gone up in the last few years.

And as such, I agree that no Prem club outside the traditional big 5/6 would be looking at English CBs at this price level.

i do think this is papers putting 2+2 together.  Those middling / bottom clubs are more likely to risk £4-6m on Clarke at Portsmouth.

I really do expect Kalas and Webster to be our CB pairing.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The more I think about it, the more I think Webster (Webdini, Webenbauer,) will be here this season coming.  As I said yesterday, I can’t believe LJ and MA haven’t sat down and discussed plans with AW about what will happen if offers come in.  If AW said he’d like to entertain any offers, then you can be sure AW and his agent would know the kind of offer likely to perk our interest.  Couple that with Kelly going, Webster is gonna know that City don’t need to sell him....and that price on his head is gonna be massive....got to be £20m+ with several add-ons and sell-on percentage. ⬇️

And as such, I agree that no Prem club outside the traditional big 5/6 would be looking at English CBs at this price level.

i do think this is papers putting 2+2 together.  Those middling / bottom clubs are more likely to risk £4-6m on Clarke at Portsmouth.

I really do expect Kalas and Webster to be our CB pairing.

I agree unless we accept a bid we shouldn’t (less than £18m).

We aren’t talking about 20 teams thinking he would improve them and is worth £18m.  We are talking probably Villa, Wolves, Southampton and Watford.

Leicester are signing Dunk, Newcastle don’t spend that type of money, West Ham tend to buy foreign, and others like Brighton and Burnley don’t spend that money either.

So I think we are talking 3-4 clubs and all it takes is for them to think Webster isn’t worth it or find one alternative and it isn’t happening. 

On 16/06/2019 at 09:52, Davefevs said:

You would also like to think that there might have also been discussion with Webster about who his partner might be, e.g. Tomas is coming back too.

I can’t imagine that the thoroughness of LJ and MA would allow our back line to be ripped apart.  Pisano, Kalas, Webster, Kelly and Dasilva all gone?  Just can’t see it personally  

@Robbored papertalk? Exactly.  

I’ve no idea about Ipswich, but if one of the factors of their relegation was because they didn’t replace him then I think we should think hard about any offers. Yes every player has their price, and yes if a Prem club comes sniffing almost all hope is lost, but as you say you can remove some players out of a team but you got to have some stability and backbone or the whole lot will just crumble and collapse. I think as it stands we have lost too many from our back line as it is, assuming the loans won’t return, to lose Webster would be a huge blow, probably more than any other player right now.

4 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

So what? 

I get we will have targets lined up in all scenarios but there are no guarantees. At some point we need to keep most of our best players to compete. We can’t lose Kelly, Webster and Brownhill and expect to be top half because we recruited well last summer. There are some players you just have to accept will be a major loss. Webster is one of them no matter the faith placed in the staff to get the replacement right

Like flint Reid and Bryan?

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Like flint Reid and Bryan?

It goes back to the main point though. Keep selling your best players and it almost always catches up to you. 

Flint I didn’t rate as one of the divisions best. 

Bryan had his ups and downs and we never saw him play next to Kalas and Webster. 

Reid I don’t think you will find many that say we didn’t miss his production and work rate. 

Kelly is a what if that we maxed out financially. 

Now since Kalas is not our player and if Webster were to go would you be confident we will be pushing top 6? Then there is the future. Sell Webster this season. Next season it is losing Brownhill and Diedhiou. When does it stop? 

We can’t count on bringing in better than what we lose because we did it one summer imo. 

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Now since Kalas is not our player and if Webster were to go would you be confident we will be pushing top 6? Then there is the future. Sell Webster this season. Next season it is losing Brownhill and Diedhiou. When does it stop? 

We can’t count on bringing in better than what we lose because we did it one summer imo. 

When we get promoted to the Prem. Until then, as long as we are at the right end of the Championship, we will have to sell some of our best players if we fail to win promotion. 

19 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

When we get promoted to the Prem. Until then, as long as we are at the right end of the Championship, we will have to sell some of our best players if we fail to win promotion. 

Do you mean from a financial standpoint or from a players view? Financially it would seem we do not need to sell this season after the sale of Kelly. 

How do we get promoted selling our best players? 

1 minute ago, billywedlock said:

Which is why talk of long term plans for promotion are nonsense. Over 20 years the vast majority of sides have got to the Prem, and it is almost all , with an 18 month to 2 years  plan with a new coach. We will be constantly treading water or worse, if a summer transfer goes wrong because we sold out too mania relegation battle. It is very hard to build a side in the Championship, as there are so many richer and wealthier teams around who will pick off your best. We cannot even grow our own, they all left too. I can see how our model makes us sustainable, but it will still rely on quality signings and borrowing quality from Prem sides, but I cannot see how it will build a promotion side. At some stage it will require a big push , as losing the loan players a couple of your best players each season is not going to get you anywhere fast. Not his biggest. fan, but for LJ this makes his task very very hard if a genuine promotion is the plan. 

My main concern worded better than I can explain. The club puts ideas of promotion into the fans heads. SL openly said last season he’d be frustrated not being top 6. Now almost expecting top 6 next season from how the club word things. 

4 hours ago, DaveF said:

I don’t think the genius of that nickname was lost on anyone.

It was Dave............How could anyone who has seen AW play should have noticed the class he has and how similar he plays to the great Paulo Maldini but when I call him Webdini they don't get it............:disapointed2se:

3 hours ago, Shtanley said:

I feel like we'd be able to convince him to stick around for another 12 months.

Same as Brownhill. That'll help convince Kalas to join. Then if we don't go up we sell both and go again.

It’s going to be very telling for our forthcoming season what happens with Webster.

If he stays, that might well be indicative of SL loosening the reigns and going for it. 

If he goes, then it’ll be the same again. Big gamble on bringing in cheap players who can get us to the Premiership. Can’t see the Academy or the ‘ones for the future’ being good enough yet (ever?) to deliver that goal - although, given most of last Summer’s ‘ones for the future’ disappeared entirely off the radar screen, you never know. 

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

He reminds me of a poor mans Paulo Maldini..........maybe that was lost on you and WH?

The Bristol Post even had an article on the name and I think LJ has even called him Webdini in interviews.  LJ doesn't always get it right with centre half comparison nicknames,  when Taylor Moore first came to the Club he made half-serious asides such as 'more like Bobby Moore'.  Still time of course but I reckon that was a bit of an optimistic one.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/how-bristol-citys-adam-webster-2718231

4 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

The Bristol Post even had an article on the name and I think LJ has even called him Webdini in interviews.  LJ doesn't always get it right with centre half comparison nicknames,  when Taylor Moore first came to the Club he made half-serious asides such as 'more like Bobby Moore'.  Still time of course but I reckon that was a bit of an optimistic one.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/how-bristol-citys-adam-webster-2718231

Hmmm.......I always suspected that the Post got their ideas from otib.............

5 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

When asked in the mixed zone at the Riverside if he should be called "Webdini", the centre-back grinned from ear to ear, chuckled to himself, and then replied: "Some would say, yeah."

Looks like an anonymous individual in 'the mixed zone' asked Webster a really childish and irritating question.

The reaction was either going to be to chuckle (and get away from the irksome person asap) or unbridled fury I imagine. 

The edges of Webster's lips being stretched to each earlobe indicates a Rottweiller baring of teeth type response, and you'd think the questioner quickly took to his heels to take refuge in the nearest indoor bowling hall.

Archived