IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Chillax James........there’s no need to shout.

Sorry Alan, low tolerance for idiocy right now.

It's also why I've completely ignored the majority of your recent postings despite them being in an area of the forum you only ever go in "accidentally".

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

If we lose Webster, and it’s a big if, I’m certain it will be for significantly more than the £12M quoted. I’m not aware of any release clause in his contract so, unless we’ve promised him something, you don’t sell him for less than Kelly. As a young player Lloyd might have the potential to make the grade in the Premiership but Webster is good to go now. Any fee has to be close to, possibly exceeding £20M. I’m not sure about the Villa interest but if true City should ensure they get all the money upfront this time. 

I would be surprised if Webster was thinking “I need a release clause” when he signed that season. 

Villa just signed Hause, want Mings, have Chester, want Tuanzebe too. This is paper speculation picking up on the weekend headline. 

2 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

I know they just extended his contract by a year, due to a contract clause, but I think we could get him. At 26 he's a good age, and comfortable playing out from the back. 

Harlee Dean could be an option too, or Liam Moore who I've always rated. 

Both Brum and Reading are in financial difficulties. Reading under soft embargo, expect Brum will be too. 

Both very good, mobile defenders who would fit nicely alongside Kalas if Webster was to go.  I don’t think Webster will go...and I think Kalas will sign too!

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

My fear is it took until mid November or so for us to really start clicking. Even if our recruitment is stellar it will take time. Then what? We go on a run maybe make playoffs? Maybe fall short again? Same position as now where people want our players and we are willing to sell. The money does not guarantee anything but players are a bit safer than the money imo. 

At present I believe we have a bottom half side. Lose Webster and we are relegation candidates. Obviously that can change with recruitment but I just do not see the point in running it that close this season. 

It took until mid November for Villa to click last year , that didn’t turn out too badly.

3 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

I know they just extended his contract by a year, due to a contract clause, but I think we could get him. At 26 he's a good age, and comfortable playing out from the back. 

Harlee Dean could be an option too, or Liam Moore who I've always rated. 

A great range- not saying it's going to happen, but a great range of CBs could be this.

Keep Webster, sign Kalas and either loan out with wages covered and a loan fee or sell Baker.

Keep Wright- he's more than adequate as cover and relatively cheap too and then add one of Van Der Hoorn- my first choice at this stage or if he doesn't want to be cover, Dean or Moore maybe more realistic and a bit cheaper too.

A set of CBs of Webster-Kalas-Van Der Hoorn/Dean/Moore-Wright- that would be very good IMO. Wright is fitter and cheaper than Baker too so in the right circs, I'd have no reservations about keeping him on. Would be impressive depth- plus of course Vyner can always come inside to help cover in extremis.

A key thing though is we do not sell Webster. Selling him given the big Kelly revenue, the relative restraint- it's unnecessary for one IMO- when they were talking summer plans did they know Kelly would go for £13m e.g., not sure? Fans certainly did not! In a way that or a chunk of that is like bonus income, as it was unexpected- some of it is a bonus for the wage and fee pot. Selling Webster would send a terrible signal IMO, at least in summer 2019. Summer 2020 a different matter though I'd rather not sell him at all!

The thing with AW that drives the acceptable fee here is the add ons due to Ipswich.

When we signed him, what was it, £3.5m possibly rising to £8m dependant on appearances/promotions etc. Be really unusual if there wasn’t a sell on as well in that structure, probably as much as 25% (I’m hypothesising), but conversely would also be unusual if there was a release clause in view of the likely sell on and doubts over fitness.

So, where does that get me on logic without knowing the contract ins and outs.

- We paid £3.5m. Let’s say we may have paid more due to appearances by now, so maybe £4m?

- Ipswich have a sell on, with a likely ceiling. Let’s say 25%, but the total fee can’t exceed the maximum it could have raised to with add ons

- In this (hypothetical, but realistic) scenario, a £12m fee realises (outside of wages) a £6m profit. Maybe just funds Kalas, but unlikely

- Current market - we need to clear £10m profit to replace properly. We sell for £18m, that just about does that 

So, I reckon £18m maybe. But as there is unlikely to be a release clause, and considering the players importance, I’d hold firm

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The thing with AW that drives the acceptable fee here is the add ons due to Ipswich.

When we signed him, what was it, £3.5m possibly rising to £8m dependant on appearances/promotions etc. Be really unusual if there wasn’t a sell on as well in that structure, probably as much as 25% (I’m hypothesising), but conversely would also be unusual if there was a release clause in view of the likely sell on and doubts over fitness.

- We paid £3.5m. Let’s say we may have paid more due to appearances by now, so maybe £4m?

- Ipswich have a sell on, with a likely ceiling. Let’s say 25%, but the total fee can’t exceed the maximum it could have raised to with add ons

- In this (hypothetical, but realistic) scenario, a £12m fee realises (outside of wages) a £6m profit. Maybe just funds Kalas, but unlikely

- Current market - we need to clear £10m profit to replace properly. We sell for £18m, that just about does that 

So, I reckon £18m maybe. But as there is unlikely to be a release clause, and considering the players importance, I’d hold firm

A reasonable and thought out post.

You're bold doing one of those.

3 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

We've lost 2 players from our first team, DaSilva and Kalas

That doesn't take you from the cusp of the playoffs down to being a bottom half side at best.

Then factor in that most of the players will have improved as they get more experienced, factor in those past their peak declining.

That squad would absolutely be weaker than last season, but let's avoid the hysteria please.

Even without Webster we would be a solid midtable side. You're also assuming absolutely no incomings either which is equally laughable. 

You're normally fairly sensible so I assumed you were having a laugh with such a nonsensical post.

Guessing something messed up there as you've quoted me saying something I didn't say!

I for one totally agree with Joe Aman.

At the moment with a lack of any recruitment other than a Bath City defender, we'd probably struggle from day one.

10 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

At the moment with a lack of any recruitment other than a Bath City defender, we'd probably struggle from day one.

Hypothetical, unless you believe that we won't recruit anybody at all.

3 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

If we sell Webster, we have to go all in for Kalas and Swansea's van der Hoorn. 

Those two will probably set us back 15 million. 

I agree with the sentiment, but if we sell Webster, just after selling Kelly, Kalas might not want to come. He might feel that City will be, at best, a mid table team lacking in ambition. It depends in part on what other offers he gets 

18 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Yeah, our midfield, forwards and goalkeeper who have all proven themselves to be top half Championship quality will all suddenly turn into donkeys who are no better than a relegation scrap...

10 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I agree with the sentiment, but if we sell Webster, just after selling Kelly, Kalas might not want to come. He might feel that City will be, at best, a mid table team lacking in ambition. It depends in part on what other offers he gets 

I honestly don’t think that comes into it. Were  Kalas to sign and then we received a stupidly large bid for  Webster, what then? Should we refuse to sell him lest we upset Kalas? We’d be on a slippery slope were we to take that approach! 

4 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

No I get that and if Webster left for 20m or near it I agree nothing we can do. 

I would be surprised if we did sell unless it's a very big fee 20m + . I dare say the club have covered off all eventualities but having to plug gaps with new players is going to be the biggest challenge for LJ and the coaching team. Bringing in one or two experienced players may not be a bad idea rather than players who have potential but there needs to be a blend and balance to compensate if we end up with that scenario

I still see no reason why the 3 Chelsea players wont join us and be the mainstay of our team for a few seasons and perhaps build a team around them?

48 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I honestly don’t think that comes into it. Were  Kalas to sign and then we received a stupidly large bid for  Webster, what then? Should we refuse to sell him lest we upset Kalas? We’d be on a slippery slope were we to take that approach! 

That’s not the point I was making. It was a hypothetical situation of Webster leaving before Kalas has made his decision on whom to sign for. Throw in another hypothetical situation of Dasilva going elsewhere and what is the incentive for Kalas to sign for City?  He could get the same, or better, salary elsewhere so he might want to go to a club that he thought had a better chance of promotion / winning something. 

I admit there are a lot of hypotheticals / ifs in this opinion 

5 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Sorry Alan, low tolerance for idiocy right now.

It's also why I've completely ignored the majority of your recent postings despite them being in an area of the forum you only ever go in "accidentally".

This is a forum for City fans to discuss matters relating to the club.

You are entitled to your views as others are entitled to theirs. Because some of us do not agree with your views, does not make us idiots!. 

20 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

This is a forum for City fans to discuss matters relating to the club.

You are entitled to your views as others are entitled to theirs. Because some of us do not agree with your views, does not make us idiots!. 

I didn't call anyone an idiot.

And yes, views are entitled to be shared, that doesn't mean an idiotic comment cannot be called out for what it is- and the calling out of an idiotic comment is not equal to naming the person who wrote it as an idiot.

Eff me! ?

Chester, Hause, already, now 3 more CBs.

In all seriousness, are Villa really gonna sign Hause, then sign Mings, Webster and Tuanzebe, and tell them all, they’re not all first choice.  5 doesn’t go into 2.  Okay Chester might leave, but 4 doesn’t go into 2 either.

If they were to sign all of them, one or two of them are gonna be pissed off that they may have signed under false pretentious.  You wouldn’t want to be a £15-20m signing and sat on the bench.

Of course Villa might be using a scattergun approach, and they see who they get over the line first.  In which case, we’ve no idea how genuine these stories are.  

Bottom line is - If Webster wants to go then he will.

He has been great - and that form really does translate to Prem quality.

He is near his prime with 8-9 earning years ahead of him barring a career ending injury.

Why would he stay here because we "might" get promoted - and at this stage Kelly,Kalas JDS and Palmer don't play for us - plus we lost Mo......  ?

When he could go to the Prem's worse team, earn 4x as much and if he keeps up this form will be signed by a better Prem team the following year?

If a Prem team comes in - he's gone. No if's or but's - he's gone.

The guy has one shot at a great career - and after last season, when he was real quality - this is his shot.

And no, I can't see Kalas or JDS coming back either - better  clubs will come in - probably European for Kalas, and Lower Prem for JDS.

There is some serious delusion on here. ?

Yes, we have a nice ground that makes the BUSINESS attractive, and the City itself is one of the better parts of the UK.

BUT....

BCFC have never been in the Prem and we shot ourselves in the foot in the last 2 yrs by blowing the Jan window  -  I suspect the owners aren't as ambitious as the fans tbh.?

There can be no other reason for the unbelievably bad transfer decisions made. ?

That's why the better players went last year, and that's why this lot won't come back next season.

Kelly went, Webster will follow, and don't be surprised to see Fammy, Brownhill and Pack out the door as well. Imagine - no Kelly, Webster, Kalas, JDS, Palmer, Fammy, Josh or Packy.......?

"WE GO AGAIN"

Really, unless the club amaze the crap out of me by signing all 3 Chelsea Players and spend £20,000,000 on a striker+ midfielder - we will be the Peterborough of the Championship.

Buy cheap,sell high, stay where we are.

Enjoy the Easter Eggs, Spice Girls and 'ones for the future' for the tenure of the Lansdowns if the club do not go all out this window.

Because it will 100% clarify their vision - to be a  business, selling houses, doing weddings and conferences to make profit, whilst Bristol Sport is just fun for SL, Junior and the Missus.

Oh, and if the above happens - LJ will be off as well - and I can't say I blame him. He'd easily get a job in another Top Champ side - maybe even fancy a European gig.

It really is shit or bust in the next couple of weeks.

Hope for the best but expect the usual mediocrity....

"

55 minutes ago, SX227 said:

He is near his prime with 8-9 earning years ahead of him barring a career ending injury.

Why would he stay here because we "might" get promoted - and at this stage Kelly,Kalas JDS and Palmer don't play for us - plus we lost Mo......  ?

When he could go to the Prem's worse team, earn 4x as much and if he keeps up this form will be signed by a better Prem team the following year?

The guy has one shot at a great career - and after last season, when he was real quality - this is his shot.

And no, I can't see Kalas or JDS coming back either - better  clubs will come in - probably European for Kalas, and Lower Prem for JDS.

Yes, we have a nice ground that makes the BUSINESS attractive, and the City itself is one of the better parts of the UK.

BUT....

BCFC have never been in the Prem and we shot ourselves in the foot in the last 2 yrs by blowing the Jan window  -  I suspect the owners aren't as ambitious as the fans tbh.?

There can be no other reason for the unbelievably bad transfer decisions made. ?

That's why the better players went last year, and that's why this lot won't come back next season.

Kelly went, Webster will follow, and don't be surprised to see Fammy, Brownhill and Pack out the door as well. Imagine - no Kelly, Webster, Kalas, JDS, Palmer, Fammy, Josh or Packy.......?

"WE GO AGAIN"

Really, unless the club amaze the crap out of me by signing all 3 Chelsea Players and spend £20,000,000 on a striker+ midfielder - we will be the Peterborough of the Championship.

Enjoy the Easter Eggs, Spice Girls and 'ones for the future' for the tenure of the Lansdowns if the club do not go all out this window.

Because it will 100% clarify their vision - to be a  business, selling houses, doing weddings and conferences to make profit, whilst Bristol Sport is just fun for SL, Junior and the Missus.

Oh, and if the above happens - LJ will be off as well - and I can't say I blame him. He'd easily get a job in another Top Champ side - maybe even fancy a European gig.

"

Well that has to be one of the most negative things I’ve ever read ?. You're the part of this fan base that I hate tbh, can’t ever see a positive.  Always looking to hate on the club, literally any excuse to have a go you get a thrill from. Honestly it’s strange ffs we’re in a great position, we’re improving year on year. Have great young manager who loves the club and just signed a new long term deal. We’re a club on the up for sure, it’s bloody 19th June ffs it’s no where near panic stations. transfer business wise just because we haven’t announced players yet (who most of them our on there holidays/int breaks etc), most business gets done after players return from holidays and just before pre-season etc. All in all I’m excited for next season a very open league and with additions on last seasons team we can drive for something. Last point would you rather support the other Bcfc ??‍♂️

4 hours ago, SX227 said:

BUT....

"WE GO AGAIN"

"

Blimey, I’m off to slit my wrists and before doing so get a refund on my ST for 2019/20.

3 hours ago, BcfcJayden said:

Well that has to be one of the most negative things I’ve ever read ?. You're the part of this fan base that I hate tbh, can’t ever see a positive.  Always looking to hate on the club, literally any excuse to have a go you get a thrill from. Honestly it’s strange ffs we’re in a great position, we’re improving year on year. Have great young manager who loves the club and just signed a new long term deal. We’re a club on the up for sure, it’s bloody 19th June ffs it’s no where near panic stations. transfer business wise just because we haven’t announced players yet (who most of them our on there holidays/int breaks etc), most business gets done after players return from holidays and just before pre-season etc. All in all I’m excited for next season a very open league and with additions on last seasons team we can drive for something. Last point would you rather support the other Bcfc ??‍♂️

No-one is panicking young man.

I suggest you re-read it when the Horlicks has worn off.

Are you honestly trying to say  nobody will be in for Webster?

And all the Chelsea players are going to sign at some point?

I'm merely pointing out that:

1) There are no guarantees any loanee wants to sign

2) There is a good chance Webster and maybe others will be off if a Prem club comes in

3) The last 2 Jan windows were very poor.

4) LJ has said he expects to be backed - if he only gets a small budget - do YOU think he will stay?

5) Where (NOT WHEN) will the replacements come from if LJ doesn't get a budget to buy his targets?

Nothing negative Son, just realistic - Bristol Sport is a business, and is now being run accordingly - and turning a profit.

So if the owners want a profit - talent is sold, and low fees paid for replacements. How many seasons can this last, and why would any player seeking to better his career (unless a developing player) want to come to BCFC if he has another offer on the table.

In other words, just so you understand them - why would players such as Webster,Kalas,JDS and Palmer want to stay at a club that MAY go up if they get an offer from the Prem or a top league in Europe.

That's being realistic, not negative.

Show me in my post where I'm 'panicking' Jayden - because the points I've made are quite reasonable

I've followed this club for 40+ years inc wet Tuesdays at bloody Wrexham, Carlise and other dumps around the leagues. So grow the **** up Jayden, read the post and reply appropriately

11 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m pretty sure that Ashton will not let any other club sign Webster with a fee that doesn’t suit the club.

We can’t keep players who have the chance to go to a Prem club and we shouldn’t block their careers but as the club have repeatedly said it has to be the right deal for Bristol City .

16 minutes ago, SX227 said:

No-one is panicking young man.

I suggest you re-read it when the Horlicks has worn off.

Are you honestly trying to say  nobody will be in for Webster?

And all the Chelsea players are going to sign at some point?

I'm merely pointing out that:

1) There are no guarantees any loanee wants to sign

2) There is a good chance Webster and maybe others will be off if a Prem club comes in

3) The last 2 Jan windows were very poor.

4) LJ has said he expects to be backed - if he only gets a small budget - do YOU think he will stay?

5) Where (NOT WHEN) will the replacements come from if LJ doesn't get a budget to buy his targets?

Nothing negative Son, just realistic - Bristol Sport is a business, and is now being run accordingly - and turning a profit.

So if the owners want a profit - talent is sold, and low fees paid for replacements. How many seasons can this last, and why would any player seeking to better his career (unless a developing player) want to come to BCFC if he has another offer on the table.

In other words, just so you understand them - why would players such as Webster,Kalas,JDS and Palmer want to stay at a club that MAY go up if they get an offer from the Prem or a top league in Europe.

That's being realistic, not negative.

Show me in my post where I'm 'panicking' Jayden - because the points I've made are quite reasonable

I've followed this club for 40+ years inc wet Tuesdays at bloody Wrexham, Carlise and other dumps around the leagues. So grow the **** up Jayden, read the post and reply appropriately

Some valid points here, however it is nonsense to suggest Bristol City / Bristol Sport makes a profit. The club is spending more on salaries alone than generates in turnover, so given FFP the only way the club can invest in new players is to sell when appropriate and get the right fee. 

If Webster wants go then in the end he will, the financial gulf to the bottom of the prem is so big then money will talk. The positive is that City could demand a massive fee given his contract situation, given the Kelly fee I would suggest at least £15m plus would be a starting point

Basically trying to buy our way up is way too risky, Derby, Sheffield Wed, Birmingham and Villa have all spent £100’s of millions over the last few years and only one has done it, whilst probably breaching FFP and getting away with it. 

The current strategy to me seems the most likely to work, no guarantees it will but is the best chance. Last summer do you think Norwich fans were happy selling Maddison for £25m? But it worked out for them, might work for us, just means we need to always be identifying the next Adam Webster or players like Pukki, Maupauy and bringing players through the academy.

Yes he will probably will want to go to the prem, but I am sure we when we tell players that we won’t stand in their way, it’s with the caveat that it has to be at our price.

If I was in Ashton's position I would be saying to him, "we have just sold Lloyd for £13m based on his potential, you have out performed him, played more games than him in your proper position,and have fulfilled some of you potential already. That's why we are asking for twice as much for you"

Archived