IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

10 hours ago, Vil1 said:

So yet again villa going after our players. They always seem to be in for our players. Do your own research and sign your own players you scummy gits. Everyone we're intrested in they seem to jump on too. 

If you can find a Barnsley forum you'll probably find someone saying the same about us.

59 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Some valid points here, however it is nonsense to suggest Bristol City / Bristol Sport makes a profit.

I'm sorry - I should have been clearer.

The Bristol Sports in conjunction with off-field activities are turning a profit. 100 Flats sold, new hotel, offices, concerts, conventions, weddings etc

Player sales are finally showing a profit - but yes, based on Sports Clubs alone - certainly City, Bears and Flyers aren't making money based on Match day income and salaries. It's when you add off-field stuff, the figures are much better.

Thanks for pointing that out.

2 minutes ago, SX227 said:

The Bristol Sports in conjunction with off-field activities are turning a profit. 100 Flats sold, new hotel, offices, concerts, conventions, weddings etc

Player sales are finally showing a profit - but yes, based on Sports Clubs alone - certainly City, Bears and Flyers aren't making money based on Match day income and salaries. It's when you add off-field stuff, the figures are much better.

Last time i checked, none of the companies in the group made a profit 

43 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes he will probably will want to go to the prem, but I am sure we when we tell players that we won’t stand in their way, it’s with the caveat that it has to be at our price.

If I was in Ashton's position I would be saying to him, "we have just sold Lloyd for £13m based on his potential, you have out performed him, played more games than him in your proper position,and have fulfilled some of you potential already. That's why we are asking for twice as much for you"

If you were Ashton what do you think you would be quoting for Webster ?

£26 million is a lot (as per your post) - I dunno, but if I was Adam Webster and a Prem Club offered £15,000,000 and the club refused to release him, I'd be pretty miffed.

Perhaps the better option might be £15m + 30% rather than have an unhappy player - thoughts?

11 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Last time i checked, none of the companies in the group made a profit 

Do they include the money from the Flats, offices and concerts recently held?

And non-City events. The bar profits alone from England v Wales was £24,000.

I'd be pretty confident that the sale of 100 flats, a massive increase in off-field income, higher attendances and concerts would show a different story.

@Mr Popodopolous is usually the go to guy for this!

11 minutes ago, SX227 said:

£26 million is a lot (as per your post) - I dunno, but if I was Adam Webster and a Prem Club offered £15,000,000 and the club refused to release him, I'd be pretty miffed.

Perhaps the better option might be £15m + 30% rather than have an unhappy player - thoughts?

Ashton knows what he’s doing particularly  when it comes to negotiating deals. He’s handsomely paid to get the best possible deal for incoming and outgoing players and that’s exactly what he’ll do.

The bottom line is that all players are worth what the purchasing club are willing to pay. Remember how we all laughed when Villa paid £15m for Kodjia.............:rofl2br:

57 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes he will probably will want to go to the prem, but I am sure we when we tell players that we won’t stand in their way, it’s with the caveat that it has to be at our price.

If I was in Ashton's position I would be saying to him, "we have just sold Lloyd for £13m based on his potential, you have out performed him, played more games than him in your proper position,and have fulfilled some of you potential already. That's why we are asking for twice as much for you"

19 minutes ago, SX227 said:

I fully expect Webster, his agent and LJ / MA sat down at the end of the summer and talked sensibly about the upcoming window as well as next season.  They will have likely discussed what fee they’d accept too.  Who knows he might even be talking through a better contract to reward him for his first season, where he played a lot of games for a guy who had injury concerns.

It is likely there will be interest in him, but we won’t let him go on the cheap. He will know that.  

Just because a Prem club comes in doesn’t mean he will go either. It’s quite possible granted. Villa fans (yes fans) are quoting he’d be back up to Mings and Tuanzebe. Do you think Webster would go under those circumstances. 

One thing I’ve learned about City is that they don’t play out recruitment in the public domain. 

Kelly to Bournemouth was not in the media. They were all wrong, saying Liverpool. 

By all means discuss things, this is a forum, but it comes across as you stating being “realistic” as it’s fact. 

City fans have a right to be confused and concerned about the achievements of our club.

On the one hand, we are apparently doing very well. Attendance's are the best for many decades, we're seeing some real quality players in the red and purple shirts, players we have reared are being sold for amounts that are very large and to many older fans, incredibly big. Finishing position in the league has improved in each of the last four season's.

Yet on the other side, we have sat on our hands in the last two January windows, allowing others to grab the annual honeypot.

I want us to achieve, but our history nags away at me, saying that we would like to win things whereas those like Bournemouth, Sheff U, Norwich, Burnley and all those who've done it instead of us, saying WE WILL get there.

In other words, I cannot believe that we will change as a club from the decades of under achievement. That's why I'm so cynical about where we are going.

48 minutes ago, SX227 said:

Do they include the money from the Flats, offices and concerts recently held?

And non-City events. The bar profits alone from England v Wales was £24,000.

I'd be pretty confident that the sale of 100 flats, a massive increase in off-field income, higher attendances and concerts would show a different story.

@Mr Popodopolous is usually the go to guy for this!

We'll have to wait for the accounts to be published next year!

58 minutes ago, SX227 said:

I don't think £20m is unrealistic in this current ridiculous market, but we ask for more as a negotiating position surely? 

24 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

City fans have a right to be confused and concerned about the achievements of our club.

On the one hand, we are apparently doing very well. Attendance's are the best for many decades, we're seeing some real quality players in the red and purple shirts, players we have reared are being sold for amounts that are very large and to many older fans, incredibly big. Finishing position in the league has improved in each of the last four season's.

Yet on the other side, we have sat on our hands in the last two January windows, allowing others to grab the annual honeypot.

I want us to achieve, but our history nags away at me, saying that we would like to win things whereas those like Bournemouth, Sheff U, Norwich, Burnley and all those who've done it instead of us, saying WE WILL get there.

In other words, I cannot believe that we will change as a club from the decades of under achievement. That's why I'm so cynical about where we are going.

I understand completely where you’re coming from and I’ve shared that same cynicism as you do.......but.......over the last couple of years that cynicism has considerably faded largely due to the huge developments we’ve seen both on and off the pitch.

Very successful businessman SL has come up with a long term strategy for our club and employed people to implement said strategy in LJ and MA and both have done a very decent job all the while working within the ‘stability and sustainability’ restrictions of SLs strategy.

I posted previously that in all the years I’ve been supporting City the current state of the entire club is the best Ive ever known it.

Ive been very tempted to put a few quid on City to get promoted next season but my record  of betting on City over the years is very poor........so I won’t bother just in case I jinx it!

17 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Care to elaborate? 

Maenpaa

Hunt Wright Webster Pring

Eliasson Pack Brownhill COD

Paterson

Diedhiou

O’Leary, Weimann, Baker, Vyner, Semenyo, Adelakun and Walsh

Maybe I missed someone but that would be our strongest matchday squad at present. Look top half to you? Then take out our player of the season

Or you could have a team of 

Maenpaa

Wright Webster Baker

Hunt Smith Pack Brownhill O’Dowda

Weimann Diedhiou

O’Leary Vyner Moore Walsh Adelukan  Eliasson Semenyo

That doesn’t look like a relegation favourites XI to me...

7 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Maenpaa

Wright Webster Baker

Weimann Diedhiou

I said midtable with Webster. Relegation contenders without him as it stands. 

Obviously we will sign players but my main point is we need to build on the squad not sell our best player. I know we haven’t sold him and it would be silly money if we do but I value players over money and potential targets. 

29 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Maenpaa

Wright Webster Baker

Weimann Diedhiou

We might struggle to get 18 players on the pitch even Championship refs might notice .

Considering our defence was a key strength last year I don't know how anyone could not be worried by the possibility of losing Kalas, Webster, Kelly and DaSilva. 

Replacing those four is a huge challenge that could easily go wrong.

10 minutes ago, mozo said:

Considering our defence was a key strength last year I don't know how anyone could not be worried by the possibility of losing Kalas, Webster, Kelly and DaSilva. 

All I have been trying to say but you did it better. Of course we will recruit well and could even do better but that is a sure thing top 8 defence. 

11 minutes ago, mozo said:

Posters said pretty much the same when Flint and Bryan left last summer........No doubt at all that LJ will have every possible factor covered.

Have faith...........

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Posters said pretty much the same when Flint and Bryan left last summer........No doubt at all that LJ will have every possible factor covered.

Have faith...........

I think we have faith but it can still be a concern. Also there was a lot of silver lining around Flint and Bryan leaving even if many were gutted to see them go. They were never close to part of a top 10 champ defence. I am sure city have plans for everything and that provides some comfort but think anyone would prefer the proven route

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think we have faith but it can still be a concern. Also there was a lot of silver lining around Flint and Bryan leaving even if many were gutted to see them go. They were never close to part of a top 10 champ defence. I am sure city have plans for everything and that provides some comfort but think anyone would prefer the proven route

Flint finished above us with Boro and Bryan played in the Premier League

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Have faith...........

What you’re saying is all very well and good, but if our model is going to be a rebuild every close season, if we get it wrong just once, things could go horribly wrong.

It would be nice to have one season start with a strong group of players from the previous season starting strongly, rather than a new group of players having to ‘gel’.  Of course, that could still happen this seaon, but the longer it goes without us securing our Chelsea targets, the more I feel we’ll be looking at the latter option again.

Here’s hoping !

I think we knew both would go too so we were focussed on replacements and emergence of Kelly.

This summer most probably expected Webster to be here for 19/20 and hoped it would be alongside Kalas. The social media stuff has changed the view and it’s become a bit panicky on here. From maybe not getting Kalas, it’s not having Webster too.

I’m still waiting for some more reputable rumours.  Maybe that’s denial on my part?

But LJ/MA will have plans.  If Webster did go and we raided Swansea for Van de Horn or Brum for Harlee Dean with £s left to burn the window changes context.

One thing - you can’t necessarily buy and sell in your order of priority.  Selling Kelly early has given us a better chance though.

2 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

if we sold Webster today  then the back for would be 

hunt. wright. baker pring.

worrying 

I bet you that wouldn’t be out back four at the start of the season even if we sold Webster which unless a 20 million plus bid came in won’t happen

we aren’t going to do a spurs and not sign anyone 

£12m would be appalling value for money- or lack of.

How much is the sell-on for Ipswich too? £20m as a starting point- if clubs don't wish to pay it, he stays- even £20m as a starting point not even the middle, let alone end point probably not enough.

We should be looking at keeping him and building on our core though- given the big sales and January restraint- not selling Webster. Throw Brownhill in for that too.

3 hours ago, SX227 said:

No they aren’t showing a profit, the club hasn’t made a profit since about 1997 

3 hours ago, SX227 said:

Bristol Sport have sold and made a profit on a hotel, some offices and 100 flats? When did that happen? Have I done a Rip van Winkle and missed a decade?

Archived