IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

26 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Flint finished above us with Boro and Bryan played in the Premier League

Good individuals but we have improved on them which was the main point. Think most at the time accepted we could improve the back 4. Whereas now it would be hard to improve on last seasons defence

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Good individuals but we have improved on them which was the main point. Think most at the time accepted we could improve the back 4. Whereas now it would be hard to improve on last seasons defence

But when they left last season and we replaced them with dasilva (aleague one player at best at the time)

and webster (a injury prone liability from a poor Ipswich team at the time)

people were posting the same shit we are seeing now,

there is no point in being concerned until the transfer window shuts and 5 or so games have been played

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

£12m would be appalling value for money- or lack of.

How much is the sell-on for Ipswich too? £20m as a starting point- if clubs don't wish to pay it, he stays- even £20m as a starting point not even the middle, let alone end point probably not enough.

Which is why I can't see Webster leaving this summer.

We've sold one promising centre back and the club doesn't have to sell another.  Webster is under contract for another 2 or 3 years and it all adds up to a price too rich for any club in terms of his worth to us and his worth to another club.

I agree with 20m and tell 'em to put up or shut up (or in the case of Villa put up or **** off).

Teamtalk have done the club and player no favours in publishing their own 12m valuation - lots of vultures circling at that price unsettling everyone.

10 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

But when they left last season and we replaced them with dasilva (aleague one player at best at the time)

there is no point in being concerned until the transfer window shuts and 5 or so games have been played

Think you’re being slightly disingenuous there. I remember people being gutted and worried that we sold Flint (I was one of them) and JB (I wasn’t one of them) but I also recall a lot of people praising the signings of Webster and Da Silva and don’t recall them being slagged as signings as a whole.  People’s concerns were around AWs injury record as opposed to his actual ability and from memory people were excited about JDS although tempered that with the fact that he was unproven at this level. 

19 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I agree with that and personally not concerned but would prefer the club to add to what is already here as is proven. I support the decisions made whatever they are but am expressing what I’d do if it were up to me which is I assume how most opinions are formed

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Posters said pretty much the same when Flint and Bryan left last summer........No doubt at all that LJ will have every possible factor covered.

Have faith...........

Did you have faith that we would strengthen our attack in January? I know that's a tough window to work in, but as much as I appreciate LJ, he's not a miracle worker.

20 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Teamtalk have done the club and player no favours in publishing their own 12m valuation - lots of vultures circling at that price unsettling everyone.

I don’t expect professional football clubs to take much if any notice of team talk. 

44 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

if we sold Webster today  then the back for would be 

hunt. wright. baker pring.

worrying 

If you are worried about that then I suggest you need to get out more.

Better still, forget about football for a few weeks and come back at the end of July to properly assess our transfer dealings. 

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t expect professional football clubs to take much if any notice of team talk. 

Agreed, but all the media hype went north when that rubbish was published as an exclusive.

Its academic anyway, 12m aint enough.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

If you are worried about that then I suggest you need to get out more.

Better still, forget about football for a few weeks and come back at the end of July to properly assess our transfer dealings. 

Absolutely right, but I think a legitimate worry is whether we manage to pull together a back four that is as effective as the one we had. 

20 minutes ago, mozo said:

Absolutely right, but I think a legitimate worry is whether we manage to pull together a back four that is as effective as the one we had. 

It was a decent defence. The key is recruiting Kalas and retaining Webster. We knew that at the season's end and nothing has changed in that regard. DaSilva would be a big bonus. Kelly was inconsistent for me and isn't a huge loss. Money from that sale will clearly be made available to replace him. We could end up with a better player than him i.e. DaSilva, who will cost considerably less than £13m.

It's also worth remembering though that the main area we need to strengthen in is upfront. We need a goal scorer or two before the start of the season. 

We've money in the bank and time on our side, so why anyone is worrying is beyond me. 

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It was a decent defence. The key is recruiting Kalas and retaining Webster. We knew that at the season's end and nothing has changed in that regard. DaSilva would be a big bonus. Kelly was inconsistent for me and isn't a huge loss. Money from that sale will clearly be made available to replace him. We could end up with a better player than him i.e. DaSilva, who will cost considerably less than £13m.

It's also worth remembering though that the main area we need to strengthen in is upfront. We need a goal scorer or two before the start of the season. 

We've money in the bank and time on our side, so why anyone is worrying is beyond me. 

Absolutely spot on ?

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We have to do something in the close season.

?

15 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep totally agree, but youve explained the reason for worry yourself there... You point out that Webster and Kalas are key. Current status is that Kalas is a Chelsea player and wanted by other clubs, and Villa rumoured to want Webster, which is a very plausable transfer. 

48 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Thursday 8th August 2019 5pm- permanent and loan signings alike. About 7 weeks basically or just a shade over.

That hourglass is starting to tick a little, though of course summer tournaments, holidays, complex deals with multiple suitors and in some cases clubs trying to hold off buying or selling before a certain accounting period begins or ends all are factors.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thursday 8th August 2019 5pm- permanent and loan signings alike. About 7 weeks basically or just a shade over.

That hourglass is starting to tick a little, though of course summer tournaments, holidays, complex deals with multiple suitors and in some cases clubs trying to hold off buying or selling before a certain accounting period begins or ends all are factors.

Yeah, and ideally you want new signings to have a pre-season in which to learn our fabled 'patterns'.

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

City fans have a right to be confused and concerned about the achievements of our club.

Yes, indeed. So much ambiguity - are we doing blinking rather well, for us? Are we going round in circles, while "the likes of" Bournemouth and Huddersfield just grab their opportunity? - so many ways to interpret how we are doing. 

If you are prone to pessimism, and seeing what's wrong, or missing - a bit of a "bed-wetter" - you can find an interpretation to fit with that mindset. 

If you are generally a cheerful, see the good in most things, what's-the-opportunity-here - a bit of a "happy-clapper" - you can find an interpretation to fit that mindset.

Put the two mindsets together on here in a football vacuum with the transfer market yet to get going, and you have a lively football forum! With both mindsets convinced of their own rationality, their ability to "know the game," "see things as they are," "tell it like it is," their being right about things, whilst also being very certain about the "delusion" of the posters of the opposite mindset.

We really could do with getting promoted to the bloody Prem, soon, so that we can all, finally, be happy, positive, and of one mind; together, united - and enjoy watching and following this club we love and, er, support; bringing the soft balm of positive energy and encouragement, and raucous vocal backing, to this team and every player within it. To put to bed, for once, and for all, any remaining ambiguity about the intentions and ambitions of this club's owner and board, and the efficacy of the players assembled by the chief executive and his recruitment staff, and the coaching experience and ability of the head coach and his trusted mates, sorry, assistants....

35 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Yes, indeed. So much ambiguity - are we doing blinking rather well, for us? Are we going round in circles, while "the likes of" Bournemouth and Huddersfield just grab their opportunity? - so many ways to interpret how we are doing. 

If you are prone to pessimism, and seeing what's wrong, or missing - a bit of a "bed-wetter" - you can find an interpretation to fit with that mindset. 

If you are generally a cheerful, see the good in most things, what's-the-opportunity-here - a bit of a "happy-clapper" - you can find an interpretation to fit that mindset.

Put the two mindsets together on here in a football vacuum with the transfer market yet to get going, and you have a lively football forum! With both mindsets convinced of their own rationality, their ability to "know the game," "see things as they are," "tell it like it is," their being right about things, whilst also being very certain about the "delusion" of the posters of the opposite mindset.

We really could do with getting promoted to the bloody Prem, soon, so that we can all, finally, be happy, positive, and of one mind; together, united - and enjoy watching and following this club we love and, er, support; bringing the soft balm of positive energy and encouragement, and raucous vocal backing, to this team and every player within it. To put to bed, for once, and for all, any remaining ambiguity about the intentions and ambitions of this club's owner and board, and the efficacy of the players assembled by the chief executive and his recruitment staff, and the coaching experience and ability of the head coach and his trusted mates, sorry, assistants....

Getting to the prem great, then our ambitions will be lower mid-table for the next however many years also know as Crystal Palace 

18 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Getting to the prem great, then our ambitions will be lower mid-table for the next however many years also know as Crystal Palace 

If we got promoted we’d be happy for about half an hour before we started worrying about coming straight back down.

The way we have handled outgoing transfer business over the course of the last few seasons suggests to me that if we were to sell Webster, we would be doing everything in our power to maximize the fee in every way possible.

I have no worries about Webster leaving for £12m - because it simply will not happen. Mark Ashton and whoever else deals with such negotiations will know that sum is derisory and, in my opinion, will be asking for double that. Even in the scenario where if someone does offer that kind of money for him, we STILL do not have to sell and i don't think we would.

1 minute ago, JasonM88 said:

Villa have bid for Kongolo from Huddersfield, another CB.

Chester, Hause, Tuanzebe, Mings, Webster, now Kongolo. 

The more names mentioned the more I smell BS re Webster, and I’ve just walked through what I thought was a muddy field!

Basically social media is scatter gunning names with little substance. 

3 hours ago, mozo said:

Did you have faith that we would strengthen our attack in January? I know that's a tough window to work in, but as much as I appreciate LJ, he's not a miracle worker.

No one is claiming that LJ is a miracle worker Mozo but he certainly knows his stuff. The reason City didn’t strengthen in January was due to  The winter window is not the preferred time to sign players as pretty much every available player is overpriced, particularly strikers.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No one is claiming that LJ is a miracle worker Mozo but he certainly knows his stuff. The reason City didn’t strengthen in January was due to  The winter windowis not the preferred time to sign players as pretty much every available player is overpriced, particularly strikers.

Especially Assombolonga at £3.5m for 20 week loan!!!

Anyway, back to Webenbauer.

I've been interviewing in the Midlands today for a new engineer. During the practical assessment, I like to have a chat where you find out about the bloke applying as they're generally relaxed when we get the tool kit out.

ME: Football man? (always an easy ice breaker)

Candidate: Yeah mate, big Villa fan. Who do you support?

ME: Bristol City.

Candidate: Your Manager hates us.

ME: Our Manager hates everybody apart from us.

Candidate: We're signing a bloke from you called Webster.

ME: I doubt it, the figure quoted is about half of his worth.

Candidate: We'll get him for £12M, you can't stop him joining a properly big club!

ME: :angry:

Fair to say, said Villain didn't get the job! ? ?

15 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Anyway, back to Webenbauer.

I've been interviewing in the Midlands today for a new engineer. During the practical assessment, I like to have a chat where you find out about the bloke applying as they're generally relaxed when we get the tool kit out.

ME: Football man? (always an easy ice breaker)

Candidate: Yeah mate, big Villa fan. Who do you support?

ME: Bristol City.

Candidate: Your Manager hates us.

ME: Our Manager hates everybody apart from us.

Candidate: We're signing a bloke from you called Webster.

ME: I doubt it, the figure quoted is about half of his worth.

Candidate: We'll get him for £12M, you can't stop him joining a properly big club!

ME: :angry:

Fair to say, said Villan didn't get the job! ? ?

I just hope for your sake that the Villain was not black, female, gay, vertically challenged, blind and deaf. Cos if he/she is, you'll probably be sued for doing something wrong according to employment law!

PS, sorry to disintegrate this thread even more than it has been.

Archived