IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

But we don't want to sell so I don't see the point in accepting a fair price. I expect Johnson has said to Webster that he will be sold after say 2 seasons or even 1 and a half if we look out of the race for the playoffs in January, and for more of a fair price that teams will pay. But at the moment we don't want to sell, so I don't think Ashton should go too much lower than what he has asked for. Or even go at all lower if they are desperate to keep him.

I agree with this and I don't see what the problem is.

He's got 3 years left on his contract hasn't he ? If they want him then they pay what we want for him however ridiculous they think that price is.

As far as Webster is concerned, he's only been here 1 season so surely can't be pushing for a move. We tell Webster to give it one more season (like we did with Flint) and if we've not been promoted then we give him a move at the end of next season. 

In all fairness £12m is a very decent starting bid...and as much as the club say no less than £30m would they really turn down anything between 15-18m? As surely this is just the start.

a combined 30m for kelly and Webster is one hell of a pot to replace 2 centre backs a left back plus the striker we need?alongside the money that would have already been set aside for lee to strengthen regardless of any departures.

we are where we are we cannot match the wages..we hold the cards in respect to a decent amount of his contract left and no need to sell but it’s if his head is turned then our hands may be forced...I think 15-18m and he may go.

please not to villa tho

3 minutes ago, CHAZ MICHAELS said:

I agree with this and I don't see what the problem is.

He's got 3 years left on his contract hasn't he ? If they want him then they pay what we want for him however ridiculous they think that price is.

As far as Webster is concerned, he's only been here 1 season so surely can't be pushing for a move. We tell Webster to give it one more season (like we did with Flint) and if we've not been promoted then we give him a move at the end of next season. 

Yep. I think people go a bit over the top about player power. Yes he could refuse to play, but that hardly looks good when the clubs that are interested could well be trying to keep him in a couple of years when a United come in for him. How can a player be trusted who does something like that. Not that I think Webster would ever do such a thing.

If he is still here for a maximum of one more season then he will have an opportunity to really push his game on to another level (if that is possible) and maybe even get interest from bigger prem clubs than Villa. 

5 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

If we are saying he's worth 30 million then we are going to have to stump up the wages to reciprocate that. How much realistically are we willing to pay to keep him?

Very good point - if it comes to it. But no way we will match Prem money I wouldn’t have thought so even if we offer him a new improved deal it’s still likely to be a lot less than he could get in the top division. 

7 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

If we are saying he's worth 30 million then we are going to have to stump up the wages to reciprocate that. How much realistically are we willing to pay to keep him?

No we don't. There won't be anything in his contract saying we have to give him higher wages if we turn down 12 million or value him at 30

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Ipswich get up to 40% of anything over 3.5. The valuation is what I expected. Now who is going to get close 

vile supporters getting all peculiar like its a slight on them is sooo strange. Seven interested clubs of which they are one providing we sell cheap. *****!

Do you know this figure RO, or are you guessing? What does 'up to' mean?

Are you saying if Webster goes for, say 17.5m - easier for my maths - your information is we may have to give Ipswich 5.6m? 

23 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Maguire you could compare to our situation though. Both clubs do not need to sell. Both clubs will be negotiating with higher clubs in the food chain. Both players probably won’t kick up too much fuss at not moving if a certain valuation is not met.

Us and Leicester are saying we won’t let the player go unless a record fee is put down. Anything over 15.5m is a record for a defender from the champ. Anything over 75m is a record for a defender. If anything Leicester asking 80m is more realistic than City asking for 30m. 

We will always be at a disadvantage as a championship club because champ clubs do not operate at a profit. Leicester can hold out because of the tv money. We just can’t hold out for as long. 

But of course previous sales have relevance. It helps guide clubs to whether they think they are getting a good deal or not. Example is Bournemouth. They had just bought Mepham for 12m in a sellers market in January. That let them and us know the going rate for young central defenders. Go through the Kelly threads and you can see where I had mentioned Brentford and their asking price for him. Then place a valuation based on that and our financial situation. In those same threads you have others saying 5-6m. There is a pattern to sales and sometimes they jump because someone panics in the market but they do relatively fall in line if you look deeper. Maybe we can benefit from a panic buy but imo there are enough defenders out there where teams will look at alternatives. 

We should agree to disagree perhaps. You make a persuasive case and I may be misunderstanding but it still seems to boil down to player A cost £x therefore a similar player B must be sold for a similar sum.

10 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

If anyone offers 18 - 20 million he’ll be gone, it’s how our clubs set up now , buy low sell on for big profits and try to replace the player at a fraction of the cost.

Exactly, I expect the club will have a player lined up already (ball playing CB not Kalas) as after last season they would have known about other clubs interested in him. It is a bit worrying though that we may have to look a replacing 3 of our regular back 4 if the Chelsea boys don't sign but we'd have more than enough money to do so as long as the signings slot in like last summer 

15 minutes ago, chinapig said:

We should agree to disagree perhaps. You make a persuasive case and I may be misunderstanding but it still seems to boil down to player A cost £x therefore a similar player B must be sold for a similar sum.

Yea I never wanted to get into it either ?

Mind you it doesn’t have to be the case. I just find that outside the top clubs you can find a similar player for a similar fee. Though recently we have set the market for champ players. Kodjia 15m for one season to a rival. Flint 7m 29 year old CB. Kelly 13m for a rotation player with good potential. These are all higher than other champ transfers of similar players. Possible if we do sell Webster it is more than I predict. 

Anyway don’t want him to go at all. Love the guy and if Kalas is back that is, imo, a premier league partnership. I want to see that and the club push for promotion. 

28 minutes ago, Swede said:

I see some thick villa **** on Twitter has said only clubs that won trophys in the 80's can demand £30M.

Hey thick yaowi head

THAT WAS 39 YEARS AGO ffs

Stop press

YOU'RE NOT FAMOUS ANYMORE.

We won the freight rover trophy in 86 (best day ever)

We can demand want we want!!

#### villa and their arrogant fans.

They failed to take the east end I seen to recall as young lad in a fa cup tie many yrs ago.

And they will fail to take webbini from the mighty reds

ctid!!

We’d be nuts to sell unless we can guarantee a replacement who’s as good or ideally better, even if his head has been turned, regardless of the money. Flint was only allowed to leave once Webster was in the pipeline. But none of us knows Webster’s views. I’m sure he’s ambitious and wants to play in the Premiership but that doesn’t mean he fancies a move to Villa or wants to go now. The transfer system, for all its faults, does allow a player a say in his destiny. It is not some bloody stupid draft system which sees a player shipped off to the worst team in the league because they get first pick. We’re jyst going to have to suck it up and see what happens. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

No we don't. There won't be anything in his contract saying we have to give him higher wages if we turn down 12 million or value him at 30

That's surely going to wind him and his agent up? They will argue that his hard work and ability has potentially earned us a 20 Mil profit and will want to be rewarded as such. 

Anyone here thinking webster would be second guessing on a move to aston villa, or anyone else offering him 40-50000 a week is out of their  mind. We might not like villa, but that contract would set him up for life, and theres no way he can turn it down, and we shouldnt stand in his way of that move either.

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

We’d be nuts to sell unless we can guarantee a replacement who’s as good or ideally better, even if his head has been turned, regardless of the money. Flint was only allowed to leave once Webster was in the pipeline. But none of us knows Webster’s views. I’m sure he’s ambitious and wants to play in the Premiership but that doesn’t mean he fancies a move to Villa or wants to go now. The transfer system, for all its faults, does allow a player a say in his destiny. It is not some bloody stupid draft system which sees a player shipped off to the worst team in the league because they get first pick. We’re jyst going to have to suck it up and see what happens. 

If he stayed and had another good season whether we go up or not then that £30m price tag would not deter Premier league teams summer 2020

2 hours ago, Swede said:

I see some thick villa **** on Twitter has said only clubs that won trophys in the 80's can demand £30M.

Hey thick yaowi head

Stop press

I believe Birmingham City have won a major trophy more recently than Villa. Obviously a bigger club then.

This is a massive swerveball in our transfer window for two reasons

1. If we lose him finding a replacement will suddenly become a top priority

2. The unexpected windfall will surely mean we hold back on pushing the button on current targets as we would be able to suddenly afford better players.

If its going to happen I hope it happens quickly so we can crack on with the rest of our business

3 hours ago, stevep38 said:

I really  have to question  the  bold in transfers piece that li said after the Hull game  last season,  if this does go through.  Perhaps they meant bold as in outgoings?  And top 6/ promotion side is a far off bet. Havnt even got any incoming to soften the blow, would  Kalas or da Silva even want to come being we seem to sell our top players. 

Think I'm about to eat a huge slice of humble pie, that'll teach me to gob off before waiting. ??????

2 hours ago, Swede said:

Hey thick yaowi head

Stop press

I kinda love how fans of team's like Villa seem to think they just have some divine right to have the players they want for the price they want and other teams should fall at their feet, accept it and say thank you for undervalueing their players. 

22 minutes ago, INCRED said:

If he stayed and had another good season whether we go up or not then that £30m price tag would not deter Premier league teams summer 2020

Problem for Webster - and us - is his injury record. Being frank, he’s had an injury free year and that’s encouraging, if he doesn’t next then he’s going to start looking like a sick note. 

As good as he undoubtedly is, there is a part of me thinking to keep we are gambling as his stock and value is so damn high. 

What us lot don’t know is how much we are gambling. How much of a fee is our profit and what goes back to Ipswich. In that regard v a £12m bid, say that even goes to £18m, we don’t know how much is Bristol City’s funds. 

I must admit, as soon as we get to £8m profit or so, I’d be tempted to say could be time to go. 

If he has an injury hit season, we could have lost it - look how Maynard’s career went; if he doesn’t, well we rely on the sell on clause and hope he gets coveted like a Maguire. 

1 hour ago, simon uk said:

Anyone here thinking webster would be second guessing on a move to aston villa, or anyone else offering him 40-50000 a week is out of their  mind. We might not like villa, but that contract would set him up for life, and theres no way he can turn it down, and we shouldnt stand in his way of that move either.

Think he'd have to look at the fact Villa supposedly want to sign Tuanzabe and Mings as well, would he be guaranteed enough games or sat on bench a fair bit.

1 hour ago, simon uk said:

We absolutely should stand in his way! He signed a 4 year deal 12 months ago for god sake!

Archived