IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

6 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

We just need to convince him to stay this season, and that we won’t stand in his way next Summer should we not get promoted. Offer him a new contract now which would make him and Kalas our top earners, which I think they would deserve to be anyway after last season. 

I mentioned about giving him a new contract a few weeks ago, but actually the more I think about it, the more I think he has already had improved terms on last season.

Bear with me.

We paid Ipswich a fair fee, but very heavily weighed with clauses - probably play so many games, promotion, sell on etc largely due to his previous injury issues. The potential was there already, many Ipswich fans said that, but the offer was too good to turn down for a player with so much history with injuries.

It is also very likely that we've said to Webster, these are the terms we are offering you. If we go up your wage increases. If you play so many games, your wage increases. If you stay relatively injury free, your wage increases.

The way we do business now is so much more shrewd than in years gone by. If we are buying players in deals with so many clauses, then what's to say we're not doing the same when it comes to offering contracts?

I could of course be completely wrong, I have no inside information/source, and never claim to be in the know. It wouldn't surprise me though if this was the case.

What would be nice, is for Webster to come out with Johnson after negotiating new terms, or saying, the club has put a lot of trust in me, I like the direction we are heading in, and I don't intend on going anywhere. Wishful thinking maybe?

2 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Dear Aston Villa, thank you for you kind offer, however as there are other interested parties we are rejecting it. You are of course welcome to make further offers as the transfer window is still open.

We all like to laugh at the "DNA" line that the club throws out when signing players (I've certainly done it) but this is an example of where it really matters. Of course every player wants to play in the PL but not every player will throw their toys out of the pram, refuse to play and have their agent force through a move. Webster is one of the good ones (as all of the players we sign now should be with the "DNA" checks in place) and I think will continue to perform as he ever has for City in training and on a match day until this saga is concluded, whatever the result of it might be.

13 minutes ago, Bristol_South_End said:

We all like to laugh at the "DNA" line that the club throws out when signing players (I've certainly done it) but this is an example of where it really matters. Of course every player wants to play in the PL but not every player will throw their toys out of the pram, refuse to play and have their agent force through a move. Webster is one of the good ones (as all of the players we sign now should be with the "DNA" checks in place) and I think will continue to perform as he ever has for City in training and on a match day until this saga is concluded, whatever the result of it might be.

Really good and pertinent point and I agree (and of course hope you're right). And we have two very recent examples to compare and contrast: Kodjia and Flint.

Kodjia, whose head was turned after one good season, heard about interest from other clubs., and refused to play in our league cup game at Scunthorpe. 

Flint, whose head was turned by interest and a derisory bid from Birmingham, but who never refused to play. Contrary to what some of us thought at the time. And Lee Johnson confirmed this to be the case. Flint was the consummate professional in his final season. I don't think I ever saw his work rate drop or effort wane. And once we started chanting his name again, he seemed delighted and probably relieved. 

Hold out for 30 million if any of these teams really want him they will pay that. There’s not many decent English centre halfs out there. 

If we invest that 30 million and some of the Kelly money back into the side we could easily buy 4-6 top championship players with that. 

48 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

Really good and pertinent point and I agree (and of course hope you're right). And we have two very recent examples to compare and contrast: Kodjia and Flint.

Kodjia, whose head was turned after one good season, heard about interest from other clubs., and refused to play in our league cup game at Scunthorpe. 

Flint, whose head was turned by interest and a derisory bid from Birmingham, but who never refused to play. Contrary to what some of us thought at the time. And Lee Johnson confirmed this to be the case. Flint was the consummate professional in his final season. I don't think I ever saw his work rate drop or effort wane. And once we started chanting his name again, he seemed delighted and probably relieved. 

Was a masterstroke by LJ when he got dropped in August- out the firing line, time to clear his head.

Made the perfect return post window closing, international break at Reading- ending their long unbeaten home run!

2 hours ago, awbb said:

Completely agree. Ashton will get the money he wants or Webster will be here for the season. Obviously things might change if Webster's head is turned but as of now, that is the way I see it.

Having said that, I still will have to rub my eyes in disbelief if we reject £20m, but can totally, totally see it happening.

It's still odd for me to see City operate in such a ruthless and, well, magnificent way in the transfer market. We're a long way from the days of having either none or one player that other sides from higher divisions covet. 

We barely had any players We coveted! 

Archived