IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

3 hours ago, Begley said:

And if there is any Villa fans reading this forum, there are other clubs interested who are established in the Premier League so either pay up or shut up!

I am a Villa fan but unfortunately it is not up to me which players we try and purchase or how much we are prepared to pay. Personally, I like Webster and I would like to see Villa buy Webster but that will be down to negotiations between the two clubs. So many fans get caught up in parochial nonsense when it comes to transfers. Outside of maybe 4 or 5 clubs in the world every player has a price and every player is for sale. If a CL club tried to buy any Vill player (not that we have CL quality players, maybe possibly one) then there is nothing Villa can do about it other than try to get the best price for him. This is just how things work. Like it or not, Villa is a more attractive proposition than Bristol as we are in the PL and have the associate PL earnings so can pay higher wages. This is not meant as a negative to Bristol City, it is just a simple fact. For the last 3 years Villa were in the Championship and every PL club had the upper hand on Villa. Look at Bryan, he basically ran out of Villa Park when he was just about to sign for us 12 months ago because a PL team came calling. 

It makes sound business sense for Bristol City to quote a higher price than they would accept and also for Villa to offer a lower price than they are prepared to pay and usually somewhere in the middle becomes the actual sale price. As it is not just Villa interested in Webster, there are a number of other PL clubs I do think it will be virtually impossible to hold on to him. Villa would probably offer him 30k+ a week and with the opportunity to play in the PL it will be very hard for Webster not to have his head turned and force a move through.

Anyway, with the cash from Kelly and probably the cash from Webster that is a lot of money to invest in a team looking for Championship promotion. Spent wisely and I expect you guys will be pushing for the PL next season.

Good luck next year, I hope u manage to get promoted, I think you were unlucky to lose out on the top 6 to Derby, things just rolled their way towards the end and not so much your way. Fulham and Leeds next year are my thoughts for top 2 but Leeds just manage to shoot themselves in the foot every year and bottle it. I can't see Derby making playoffs, Boro a big risk with JW as manager so the opportunity is there for the taking but in my opinion you need a clinical striker, you are just too weak up front. Tammy saved us last year and was worth whatever loan fee and wages we paid but you guys already know the value of Tammy. If u get a 25+ striker u are a good bet for the PL next year (I would stay away from Hogan!). Hopefully we will not be passing you next May on our return to the Championship.

I don’t think anyone here would dispute Villa would be a great opportunity for AW. Where we get funny is when (some) Villa fans think we should be just salivating at 12m. 

Villa have done business with us before with a player with a long contract in Kodjia. We will drive a hard bargain and will only accept a fee we feel we can’t turn down. I don’t think it is 30m but I get why we said 30. To make sure teams know they aren’t going to consider silly bids. I have broke down top fees from transfers from champ to PL. looking at those it will most likely take in the 20m range to get us talking seriously. Hate it or love it that is our right and I think fair enough. Gamble for Villa but it is high risk high reward for Villa. Whereas selling him is high risk and having to take chances on something not as proven. 

Good thoughtful and even post. FWIW, if Villa were to sign Webster I think he’d be a hit in the prem. Think if you guys can be relatively safe by March and he is part of that then he may get an England call up for a friendly or something. Tall and atheltic. Mixes it up with bigger strikers. Can read movement of smaller strikers. Can place 30-40 yard passes to feet with either foot. Good at dribbling out from the back. He needs that platform but with Smith as manager think he gets it. 

The most likely outcome is nobody will meet our asking price and we'll hang onto Webster for another year.  It's unlikely he will throw his toys out of the pram about staying one more year given he's only one year into his current contract especially when he's offered a new much bigger contract and an agreement to let him move at the end of the season, likely to a more established club than Villa.

16 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Where we get funny is when (some) Villa fans think we should be just salivating at 12m. 

I agree but some fans are stupid and just look for something to say to try make out their club is bigger. It more dick swinging than anything. I am not sure Villa will go to 20m, maybe they will but I think it is a little out of our budget for a CB that is not PL proven but prices are gone stupid these days and anything is possible. There is a real imbalance in football in that there appears to be a ceiling for how high a Championship player can command in a transfer. If Webster has a good season in the PL it is not unreasonable to think he would be sold for 40m+ in 12 months time. Wan Bissaka was an unknown 12 months ago and now 50m. Webster would be a gamble but personally I think it is one worth taking. He does look like someone who can take it to the next level. A good buy for Bristol City for only 3.5m. Someone on your scouting network knows what they are doing as you guys have a bit of a habit of finding and developing good players. If you can manage to get up this season the potential with PL money and good scouts and coaches is exciting. 

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

I had thought of something to say.

It was either fantastically witty or a genuinely good point, but when I opened the thread I had forgotten it.

Just thought you all ought to know.

Thanks for sharing. What does the rest of the group think?

40 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don’t think anyone here would dispute Villa would be a great opportunity for AW. Where we get funny is when (some) Villa fans think we should be just salivating at 12m. 

Villa have done business with us before with a player with a long contract in Kodjia. We will drive a hard bargain and will only accept a fee we feel we can’t turn down. I don’t think it is 30m but I get why we said 30. To make sure teams know they aren’t going to consider silly bids. I have broke down top fees from transfers from champ to PL. looking at those it will most likely take in the 20m range to get us talking seriously. Hate it or love it that is our right and I think fair enough. Gamble for Villa but it is high risk high reward for Villa. Whereas selling him is high risk and having to take chances on something not as proven. 

Good thoughtful and even post. FWIW, if Villa were to sign Webster I think he’d be a hit in the prem. Think if you guys can be relatively safe by March and he is part of that then he may get an England call up for a friendly or something. Tall and atheltic. Mixes it up with bigger strikers. Can read movement of smaller strikers. Can place 30-40 yard passes to feet with either foot. Good at dribbling out from the back. He needs that platform but with Smith as manager think he gets it. 

What gets me is the fact that Villa fans seem to think we have no money, they clearly aren’t aware of our multi billionaire owner, who has very strong links to the city, not some Chinese / Americans who know nothing about our club.

Villa fans seem to think we are run by some corner shop owner or something, they are clueless as to what they are dealing with & yes I get that we haven’t thrown £15m+ at signings but that is because we have been more prudent with our money, massively unlike Villa who risked it all on getting promotion!!

I’m really glad that I don’t support a super power like Villa if that’s the way they run a club that I love!!

7 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

What gets me is the fact that Villa fans seem to think we have no money, they clearly aren’t aware of our multi billionaire owner, who has very strong links to the city, not some Chinese / Americans who know nothing about our club.

Villa fans seem to think we are run by some corner shop owner or something, they are clueless as to what they are dealing with & yes I get that we haven’t thrown £15m+ at signings but that is because we have been more prudent with our money, massively unlike Villa who risked it all on getting promotion!!

I’m really glad that I don’t support a super power like Villa if that’s the way they run a club that I love!!

You will always get fans who post shyte about other clubs without knowing the facts. I have said earlier I am a Villa fan and I don't believe that you have no money nor are a badly run club. Just because a few gobshytes on Twitter say something doesn't mean it is a fact. Villa's current owners didn't risk everything on promotion, they inherited the risk of blowing 100m in the Championship looking to get to the PL. The current owners invested in some expensive loan signings (Tammy, Mings and Tuanzebe) and fired the dinosaur manager and got someone in that understands football. The fact that it worked in their first season in charge suggests it was a risk worth taking. 

It doesn't really matter how rich yours or any club's owners are, its about how much money they can spend and still be P&S compliant. Selling Webster would give BC a lot of flexibility with future purchases this summer and may facilitate the purchasing of a couple of strikers that can the goals you need for a return to the PL. It doesn't matter how good your defence is, if you don't have a goals up front you will not get promoted. 

If your reading all this Mr Webster, stay another season in which we have a good chance of getting promoted or certainly into the playoffs. If we fail, move on next season. What you don’t want to do is what happened to Reid and Bryan which was to get relegated after one season. Should be an exciting season.

20 minutes ago, Begley said:

You will always get fans who post shyte about other clubs without knowing the facts. I have said earlier I am a Villa fan and I don't believe that you have no money nor are a badly run club. Just because a few gobshytes on Twitter say something doesn't mean it is a fact. Villa's current owners didn't risk everything on promotion, they inherited the risk of blowing 100m in the Championship looking to get to the PL. The current owners invested in some expensive loan signings (Tammy, Mings and Tuanzebe) and fired the dinosaur manager and got someone in that understands football. The fact that it worked in their first season in charge suggests it was a risk worth taking. 

It doesn't really matter how rich yours or any club's owners are, its about how much money they can spend and still be P&S compliant. Selling Webster would give BC a lot of flexibility with future purchases this summer and may facilitate the purchasing of a couple of strikers that can the goals you need for a return to the PL. It doesn't matter how good your defence is, if you don't have a goals up front you will not get promoted. 

I totally get what you’re saying & agree with what you’re saying. I’ve even said myself that if we got £30m for AW (unlikely I know) but it could fund 5 or 6 new players coming in at around our record fee paid out. Now if we spent £5-£6m each on 5 or 6, going off our recent purchases, it should help improve our team hugely.

As for our finances, the recent stadium redevelopment has meant we are making more money than ever before & last years sells of Flint, Bryan & Reid appeased any potential issues with FFP & the further sells of Kelly & Eisa has only strengthened our bargaining position even further. Compare our position to the likes of Derby, Stoke & Swansea (to name just 3), we don’t have to accept what we don’t see as our valuation for any player unless we want to get the player off our wage bill but AW has only been here for one season, was our player of the year & we don’t want to sell him, so if someone wants one of our prized assets, they will probably have to pay over the odds because there is no reason for us to sell below our valuation.

You did similar last season with Grealish, your valuation was over what anyone valued him at because you didn’t want to sell him, it seems that the more vocal Villa supporters are very blinkered when it comes to the goings on at other clubs! Yes we aren’t a BIG club in championship terms but we are no longer a small club either & we are heading in the right direction in every way, both on & off the pitch!

I agree, you are in a great position to really maximise the money you get for Webster. I feel that once a PL club comes along and offers life changing money and a chance to play in the PL it will be hard to keep him but you will get a good price if you do sell. I don't think 30m but 17m/18m cash and maybe another 5m to 7m in future add ons would be a decent enough deal for BC I think. I think you should cash in on him and buy Che Adams quickly while Blues are in meltdown, he is there for the taking and will give u 25 goals next season. IMO, getting promoted from the Championship is more about scoring goals than it is defending well. If you have a 25+ striker and a half decent team you will be in the playoffs and pushing for top 2. And in fairness Bristol have better than a half decent team so should be pushing for top 2. It is easy enough to get a CB to replace Webster that would do a good job in the Championship. The downside of all this is that you would not have Webster for the PL but hey, isn't it more important to get there first and worry about the consequences later. As a Villa fan this summer's transfer window is exciting as we need a huge amount of player and have money to spend. It will be really tough to stay up next season but i will enjoy the ride. 

Hope u guys are in the same boat this time next year

12 minutes ago, Begley said:

I agree, you are in a great position to really maximise the money you get for Webster. I feel that once a PL club comes along and offers life changing money and a chance to play in the PL it will be hard to keep him but you will get a good price if you do sell. I don't think 30m but 17m/18m cash and maybe another 5m to 7m in future add ons would be a decent enough deal for BC I think. I think you should cash in on him and buy Che Adams quickly while Blues are in meltdown, he is there for the taking and will give u 25 goals next season. IMO, getting promoted from the Championship is more about scoring goals than it is defending well. If you have a 25+ striker and a half decent team you will be in the playoffs and pushing for top 2. And in fairness Bristol have better than a half decent team so should be pushing for top 2. It is easy enough to get a CB to replace Webster that would do a good job in the Championship. The downside of all this is that you would not have Webster for the PL but hey, isn't it more important to get there first and worry about the consequences later. As a Villa fan this summer's transfer window is exciting as we need a huge amount of player and have money to spend. It will be really tough to stay up next season but i will enjoy the ride. 

Hope u guys are in the same boat this time next year

all sensible words from BEGLEY.  However perhaps WEBSTER is actually enjoying life in  Bristol and the chance and challenge of getting to the premier with City, and enjoying his football here (as he has said)  and a partnership again with KALAS (was there a better one last season in the Championship) means something.  That said every player in the world has a price, and if its right for all then it will happen, if not then it will not.  Webster was very much a footballing centre back, not too many about to be honest !! 

I would also add Villa fought off offers from Spurs for Grealish, and he wanted to go, but never did. 

They really don't seem to grasp the concept we don't need to sell and don't want to sell, why is selling at £15m a good deal for us, either we want a fantastic amount or we're happy to keep him to help us go up, surely that isn't that much to comprehend?

Not including Begley in this as they come across as decent but perhaps this (2nd pic) is a reason why its a good thing the transfer forum isn't accessible to non members, imagine the Villa fans reactions at large reactions to the thread..... having said that, could be a good laugh :yawn:

Screenshot 2019-06-27 21.19.16.png

Screenshot 2019-06-27 21.20.32.png

1 hour ago, Begley said:

You will always get fans who post shyte about other clubs without knowing the facts.

We've got fans who post shyte about their own club without knowing  the facts!

13 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

all sensible words from BEGLEY.  However perhaps WEBSTER is actually enjoying life in  Bristol and the chance and challenge of getting to the premier with City, and enjoying his football here (as he has said)  and a partnership again with KALAS (was there a better one last season in the Championship) means something.  That said every player in the world has a price, and if its right for all then it will happen, if not then it will not.  Webster was very much a footballing centre back, not too many about to be honest !! 

Thanks, 

I don't know what Webster is earning at Bristol, maybe 10k / 15k a week? but if a club offers 30k / 40k a week and a 4 year contract I think most people would find it difficult to stay at the club they are happy at. Webster could get a career threatening injury and being offered enough cash to set u up for life would be hard for anyone to refuse. If other PL clubs come in for him I think he would probably favour them over Villa as we are probably one of the favourites to come straight back down. I think Grealish was different for a couple of reasons, obviously Grealish is a life long Villa fan but also the potential transfer came in very late in the window and after Villa were sold by Xia to the Americans. I would be very sceptical as to Levy offering 25m for Grealish, I suspect it was a lot lower and Villa gave Grealish a 4 year contract on a reported 45k a week, so Villa gave hime the life changing money. If BC were to offer Webster 45k a week I would be confident he would stay

hodge

Funny quotes from my fellow Villa fans. it is only 12 months ago that Villa hadn't a pot to p1ss in and couldn't afford to pay a poxy 5m tax bill. Now we have a sugar Daddy and are spending a few quid and all that is too easily forgotten. If you put lipstick and rouge on a sow and stick a flower behind its ear it is still a sow ??? 

9 minutes ago, Begley said:

Thanks, 

I don't know what Webster is earning at Bristol, maybe 10k / 15k a week? but if a club offers 30k / 40k a week and a 4 year contract I think most people would find it difficult to stay at the club they are happy at. Webster could get a career threatening injury and being offered enough cash to set u up for life would be hard for anyone to refuse. If other PL clubs come in for him I think he would probably favour them over Villa as we are probably one of the favourites to come straight back down. I think Grealish was different for a couple of reasons, obviously Grealish is a life long Villa fan but also the potential transfer came in very late in the window and after Villa were sold by Xia to the Americans. I would be very sceptical as to Levy offering 25m for Grealish, I suspect it was a lot lower and Villa gave Grealish a 4 year contract on a reported 45k a week, so Villa gave hime the life changing money. If BC were to offer Webster 45k a week I would be confident he would stay

I think we be having a word with him about staying to try and help us go up this year (presumably a bit of a wage bump to around what we're supposedly paying Kalas) and if we don't he'll have our blessing to be sold for X amount next summer, which if he performs like last season he'll have a wide range of prem clubs after him so will be one he picks rather than one who comes in for him.

1 hour ago, hodge said:

They really don't seem to grasp the concept we don't need to sell and don't want to sell, why is selling at £15m a good deal for us, either we want a fantastic amount or we're happy to keep him to help us go up, surely that isn't that much to comprehend?

Not including Begley in this as they come across as decent but perhaps this (2nd pic) is a reason why its a good thing the transfer forum isn't accessible to non members, imagine the Villa fans reactions at large reactions to the thread..... having said that, could be a good laugh :yawn:

Screenshot 2019-06-27 21.19.16.png

Screenshot 2019-06-27 21.20.32.png

Kenji isn’t the sharpest tool in the box is he 

1 hour ago, Begley said:

Thanks, 

It's NOT Bristol.........It's Bristol City.    Go away and support Aston.  ?

I thought there was only One Team In Bristol (OTIB)? ?

I have referred to your club as Bristol City and BC a number of times in my posts. For non Bristol City supporters, calling you guys Bristol is akin to calling Brighton and Hove Albion just Brighton, its fairly obvious that people when people refer to you as Bristol we mean Bristol City. You should take it as a complement, it is indirectly inferring that the other Bristol team is irrelevant. 

14 minutes ago, Begley said:

I thought there was only One Team In Bristol (OTIB)? ?

I have referred to your club as Bristol City and BC a number of times in my posts. For non Bristol City supporters, calling you guys Bristol is akin to calling Brighton and Hove Albion just Brighton, its fairly obvious that people when people refer to you as Bristol we mean Bristol City. You should take it as a complement, it is indirectly inferring that the other Bristol team is irrelevant. 

Bloody hell I actually agree with a villa fan for once. 

I haven’t read any of your posts (chat ) with fans on here but here’s my take on it. 

We have a billionaire Bristolian owner so not desperate for money. Sold over £30m worth of players over the last year to reinvest and comfortably stay within ffp. 

We paid £3.5m rising to £8m (May be wrong on final total) for  Webster and Ipswich have a large sell on of any profit. 

Hence why £12m is pitiful as there’s no profit for us. Add the fact he’s important to us if we can manage a promotion push .

Thats why £30m has been put on his transfer value . It has to be in our best interest to let him go and it isn’t. Plus he has 3 years left on his deal . 

Also , if it was up to me I wouldn’t sell the steam off my piss to your club. Most of your fans come across as the most arrogant and moronic bellends I’ve ever come across . 

Oh , welcome to the forum ? 

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Bloody hell I actually agree with a villa fan for once. 

I haven’t read any of your posts (chat ) with fans on here but here’s my take on it. 

We have a billionaire Bristolian owner so not desperate for money. Sold over £30m worth of players over the last year to reinvest and comfortably stay within ffp. 

We paid £3.5m rising to £8m (May be wrong on final total) for  Webster and Ipswich have a large sell on of any profit. 

Hence why £12m is pitiful as there’s no profit for us. Add the fact he’s important to us if we can manage a promotion push .

Thats why £30m has been put on his transfer value . It has to be in our best interest to let him go and it isn’t. Plus he has 3 years left on his deal . 

Also , if it was up to me I wouldn’t sell the steam off my piss to your club. Most of your fans come across as the most arrogant and moronic bellends I’ve ever come across . 

Oh , welcome to the forum ? 

Nail on the head, sums it up perfectly - not sure if any visiting Aston fans will understand it though (present company excepted of course).

Ohhh, ive been a plonker and posted this on a rival site...

Look. We do not need to sell Webster. We are backed by huge financial resources, due to the owner being the Lansdown family.
We do not want to sell. He was voted as the best player of the year at BCFC.
He is integral in the development of our young side.
Ipswich would take a huge chunk of profit made on Webster, which would mean replacing him, would become too expensive for what we would get from a sale.
He is a big hit with the fans and there is absolutely no BCFC supporter that want him to leave.
A huge/absurd offer would need to arrive at the BCFC office, before a sale is even considered.

10 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I get that you guys have money and I also believe you are in the driving seat with determining a fee for Webster if you were to decide to sell him. I think that once a player's head is turned toward the riches of the PL it is hard to keep them but more so  I believe you would be wise to sell him.

I think you have a good team but you are weak up front, you simply don't have the goal scorers. You should have been a couple up against us in the league and you didn't take your chances. When we got our chances, and yes the ref helped, we took them. That is the main reason we finished top 6 and you didn't. For Bristol City to get promoted I believe you need to strengthen up front at the expense of your defence. If you sell Webster for say 20m cash + add ons then you could spend this cash on a striker that will get you the goals and get you promoted e.g. Maupay or Adams. Your midfield and defence is strong enough to be able to work with a cheaper CB, you don't need Webster's quality to get promoted and the objective of next season is surely to go up?

As for not even wanting to sell us the steam off your piss I suspect if other PL teams come in for Webster they will choose them over us as we are probably a strong favourite to get relegated next May so you are probably safe. Personally, I don't care what club we buy or sell players to as long as it is the right thing for Villa. That said I would not like to sell our best players to the Blues. 

Gents,

It was nice chatting with some rival fans this evening and thanks for the lack of abuse, other club's fans could learn a lot from you. I went on to a Baggies forum once, I was polite and respectful to everyone on the site and I got dogs abuse just because I support Villa. Best of luck next season, hopefully you will get promoted. I think yourselves and Brentford deserve a top 6 finish for the football you play,  I do try to make my opinion on clubs by what they do on the pitch rather than rivalry and the standard moronic fans that take to Twitter.

Archived