IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

13 minutes ago, Begley said:

If you sell Webster for say 20m cash + add ons then you could spend this cash on a striker that will get you the goals and get you promoted

Talking about general fees isn't great when talking about finances but heck. We sold £25m worth of players last summer and paid £11m ish for our permanent transfers and whatever loan fees for the 3 chelsea guys. We've now sold Kelly for £13m and potentially paid a max upfront for Dasilva/Kalas of £10m (more likely about £7m upfront). So in terms of ffp and allowed losses we'd have a decent gap which would allow us to sign a striker already, however going for a Maupay/Adams isn't our style. If we're likely to sell another player it will be O'Dowda which could give us another £6m to £10m to play with which would then take us past our current record transfer in available funds/allowance for ffp without pushing boundaries.

6 minutes ago, Begley said:

Gents,

It was nice chatting with some rival fans this evening and thanks for the lack of abuse, other club's fans could learn a lot from you. I went on to a Baggies forum once, I was polite and respectful to everyone on the site and I got dogs abuse just because I support Villa. Best of luck next season, hopefully you will get promoted. I think yourselves and Brentford deserve a top 6 finish for the football you play,  I do try to make my opinion on clubs by what they do on the pitch rather than rivalry and the standard moronic fans that take to Twitter.

Reasonable fans always welcome ?

7 minutes ago, LocoPal said:

Always good to have a nice villain available for the chat... good luck next season!

Cheer! We need all the luck we can get. Contrary to many Villa fans belief we are going to find next season really tough and we will lose a lot of games. Scraping 17th in the PL would be a huge result for us. 

5 hours ago, Begley said:

Gents,

It was nice chatting with some rival fans this evening and thanks for the lack of abuse, other club's fans could learn a lot from you. I went on to a Baggies forum once, I was polite and respectful to everyone on the site and I got dogs abuse just because I support Villa. Best of luck next season, hopefully you will get promoted. I think yourselves and Brentford deserve a top 6 finish for the football you play,  I do try to make my opinion on clubs by what they do on the pitch rather than rivalry and the standard moronic fans that take to Twitter.

Most of us enjoy the visits of opposition fans and it’s interesting to have an outsider’s opinion on our club and theirs.

Thank you for your contribution on our forum and hope to play you soon.

10 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

What gets me is the fact that Villa fans seem to think we have no money, they clearly aren’t aware of our multi billionaire owner, who has very strong links to the city, not some Chinese / Americans who know nothing about our club.

Villa fans seem to think we are run by some corner shop owner or something, they are clueless as to what they are dealing with & yes I get that we haven’t thrown £15m+ at signings but that is because we have been more prudent with our money, massively unlike Villa who risked it all on getting promotion!!

I’m really glad that I don’t support a super power like Villa if that’s the way they run a club that I love!!

Prudence and Championship football to show for it. 

Interesting social media post. I don't think we'd be putting this out if we thought Villa were close to our valuation/the two sides could strike a deal. This seems a signal of intent to me (they will know the fans below the line are commenting #unsellable etc.)

ps I'm not saying he won't go if we get a huge offer

23 minutes ago, underhanded said:

Interesting social media post. I don't think we'd be putting this out if we thought Villa were close to our valuation/the two sides could strike a deal. This seems a signal of intent to me (they will know the fans below the line are commenting #unsellable etc.)

ps I'm not saying he won't go if we get a huge offer

#kerching

9 hours ago, Begley said:

I get that you guys have money and I also believe you are in the driving seat with determining a fee for Webster if you were to decide to sell him. I think that once a player's head is turned toward the riches of the PL it is hard to keep them but more so  I believe you would be wise to sell him.

I think you have a good team but you are weak up front, you simply don't have the goal scorers. You should have been a couple up against us in the league and you didn't take your chances. When we got our chances, and yes the ref helped, we took them. That is the main reason we finished top 6 and you didn't. For Bristol City to get promoted I believe you need to strengthen up front at the expense of your defence. If you sell Webster for say 20m cash + add ons then you could spend this cash on a striker that will get you the goals and get you promoted e.g. Maupay or Adams. Your midfield and defence is strong enough to be able to work with a cheaper CB, you don't need Webster's quality to get promoted and the objective of next season is surely to go up?

As for not even wanting to sell us the steam off your piss I suspect if other PL teams come in for Webster they will choose them over us as we are probably a strong favourite to get relegated next May so you are probably safe. Personally, I don't care what club we buy or sell players to as long as it is the right thing for Villa. That said I would not like to sell our best players to the Blues. 

Its not the fact that the club has money, more to do with the value of Webster to the club.

It is said that Ipswich have a large sell on of up to 40% and add-ons of up to 5m.

So with that in mind and the value he has to the club in trying to get into the playoffs or beyond, 12m is nowhere near tenable - the profit doesn't equate to the value he has to the team and we wouldn't be able to replace him with the profit 12m would generate.

20m may be a different matter.

Seems Villa are going to offer £25m for Kalvin Phillips, kinda sets the standard for players in the league who are the best in their positions, think it nudges our 'realistic' value for Webster past the £20m mark.

21 hours ago, Begley said:

You will always get fans who post shyte about other clubs without knowing the facts. I have said earlier I am a Villa fan and I don't believe that you have no money nor are a badly run club. Just because a few gobshytes on Twitter say something doesn't mean it is a fact. Villa's current owners didn't risk everything on promotion, they inherited the risk of blowing 100m in the Championship looking to get to the PL. The current owners invested in some expensive loan signings (Tammy, Mings and Tuanzebe) and fired the dinosaur manager and got someone in that understands football. The fact that it worked in their first season in charge suggests it was a risk worth taking. 

It doesn't really matter how rich yours or any club's owners are, its about how much money they can spend and still be P&S compliant. Selling Webster would give BC a lot of flexibility with future purchases this summer and may facilitate the purchasing of a couple of strikers that can the goals you need for a return to the PL. It doesn't matter how good your defence is, if you don't have a goals up front you will not get promoted. 

What a sensible post!

Totally agree with what has been articulated, it makes a pleasant change to some of the drivel Villa fans have posted on twitterTwitter

6 hours ago, hodge said:

Seems Villa are going to offer £25m for Kalvin Phillips, kinda sets the standard for players in the league who are the best in their positions, think it nudges our 'realistic' value for Webster past the £20m mark.

And Leeds value him at, you guessed it, £30m.

Right, an update on Webster.

Villa are seriously interested and have come back in with a bid much higher than the previous £12m.

The bid is for a total package of around £20m which I understand has been turned down.

They are not a million miles away from our valuation though and having previously thought Webster would stay this summer (especially with Kalas joining) I now think there's a high chance our valuation will eventually be met and there's little chance of him turning down the opportunity to increase his salary three/four-fold and play Prem football. 

Sorry to break this to you @Davefevs ?

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Villa are seriously interested and have come back in with a bid much higher than the previous £12m.

The bid is for a total package of around £20m which I understand has been turned down.

They are not a million miles away from our valuation though and having previously thought Webster would stay this summer (especially with Kalas joining) I now think there's a high chance our valuation will eventually be met and there's little chance of him turning down the opportunity to increase his salary three/four-fold and play Prem football. 

Great to have turned down a package of £20m.

Agree with you that our valuation will likely be met if we’re at those sorts of bids already; it’s not even July yet.

Shame to lose him, but I’d trust in the club to replace effectively - Jordan Willis seems to have been on the radar a long time.

23 hours ago, RedEyez said:

Kenji isn’t the sharpest tool in the box is he 

Perhaps if we all shouted loudly, and all together " ITS OVER HERE!"

15 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Nice thing is we are not buckling early. If we get offers over £20 million it is crazy money to turn down really. Would be great to keep him for another season and if we don't go up then let him go, but I just cannot see it if the bids are near 20 now.

8 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

If they are around 20M then the player will start to create. for 12 months and such an increase in value , it will be impossible to justify to him a block. It is still part of negotiations, and if they are already at that level it is almost certain he will leave. Good for him, good for us. £20M is an exceptional deal, and I still think it will include `Hogan 

I really don't know what to make of Hogan. Can't they give us McGinn....

As much as I want Webby to stay another season if we get to the point of being offered £25m with a big majority of it upfront and the rest in very likely clauses then its a fantastic deal for everyone involved as I'd back us to find a very good replacement for a fraction of the cost. £25m would be the 3rd highest fee ever for a player sold in the division (Pickford and Sissoko) and the biggest ever for a player who wasn't relegated from the prem that season £2.5m more than Maddison last summer.

2 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

£30m or **** off. 

Honestly I’ll be gutted if Webster goes, will kill the feel good feeling I have at the moment. 

Have to do everything we can to keep him for at least one more year. 

Every player has their price and a £25m package would exceed my wildest dreams. I’m sure we quoted £30m to put teams off but so that we could settle a little lower. Wiggle room.  We’d have to take it. Buy again. Build again. 

3 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Every player has their price and a £25m package would exceed my wildest dreams. I’m sure we quoted £30m to put teams off but so that we could settle a little lower. Wiggle room.  We’d have to take it. Buy again. Build again. 

Palace initially quoted £70m for Wan Bissaka and have just quoted £80m for Zaha, depends if our balls are bigger than their for holding out for quoted price.

15 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Totally agree with all that but any other club than ******* bell-end ******* Villa.

Archived