IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

3 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

If we sell him for anywhere around £30m, it might just be the most insane transfer ever. For comparison Benjamin Pavard, World Cup winning defender (and goal of the tournament scorer) is off to Bayern for £31.5m. Football makes no sense I swear to Christ. 

Ok but did he ever play for City? I rest my case m’lud. 

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@Kid in the Riot thanks for ruining my night ?

In all seriousness, Villa are using a significant chunk of budget for a CB when they need to replace several loanees too. 

Lets hope they really stuff up their return and have to sell their ground. Shit, they’ve done that already.  

Don’t rules basically allow prem clubs to spend what they want first season up? Fulham spent a fair amount last summer and they will find other bargains I am sure. 

Package reaching 20 is probably getting there. I originally said 18m plus add ons but think it’ll be a bit more now if he goes. 20-22m plus add ons to say 25m plus sell on. Is probably too much for us to turn down which will be a shame for sure

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@Kid in the Riot thanks for ruining my night ?

In all seriousness, Villa are using a significant chunk of budget for a CB when they need to replace several loanees too. 

Lets hope they really stuff up their return and have to sell their ground. Shit, they’ve done that already.  

What budget, Dave? This is Villa we are talking about!

15 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Don’t rules basically allow prem clubs to spend what they want first season up? Fulham spent a fair amount last summer and they will find other bargains I am sure. 

Package reaching 20 is probably getting there. I originally said 18m plus add ons but think it’ll be a bit more now if he goes. 20-22m plus add ons to say 25m plus sell on. Is probably too much for us to turn down which will be a shame for sure

Do you know how much Ipswich get? I have seen 20% but someone said 40%. The second figure seems a bit high

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Do you know how much Ipswich get? I have seen 20% but someone said 40%. The second figure seems a bit high

Not sure but can’t see us paying up to 8m and adding 40% sell on when that was agreed. 20% sounds reasonable also think they said 20 in a BP article

9 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Right, an update on Webster.

Villa are seriously interested and have come back in with a bid much higher than the previous £12m.

The bid is for a total package of around £20m which I understand has been turned down.

They are not a million miles away from our valuation though and having previously thought Webster would stay this summer (especially with Kalas joining) I now think there's a high chance our valuation will eventually be met and there's little chance of him turning down the opportunity to increase his salary three/four-fold and play Prem football. 

Sorry to break this to you @Davefevs ?

I thought I’d be gutted if he left this summer but if the bids get up to 22-25 than I think that’s fair enough, just need to unearth another gem to replace him. 

Mad that we might sell two centre backs for 35-40 million.

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

They still have FFP to contend with. And if they do a Fulham and come straight back down, they only get 2 years parachute money. 

Im sure several players will be on increased wages as a result of promotion clauses too. 

1 hour ago, Padlad said:

The money in the championship is now going mad. 25m for a centre back. 10mil for Reid seemed good last year. Love him to stay but that's nuts.

When we signed Webster for , what was it £3.5m, if anyone had said we could sell him within a year and make a profit, let's be honest we'd have been pretty happy to double our money, bearing in mind what we got for Flint.

To be talking of a fee around £20m is, as you say, just nuts.

May be mad but I genuinely wouldn’t sell for £40 mill, if we’re going for it this year as it seems we need him and his attributes. I can’t think of another CB that brings what Webster brings that will come to us.

It'll be a bang back down to earth if he leaves.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Next door neighbour is an Ipswich supporter and told me it was 20.

11 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Next door neighbour is an Ipswich supporter and told me it was 20.

Well that's good to know. So if we get 30m, I know unlikely but that's what we are asking. We would get 24.7 I think.

More realistic figure maybe 25m would be 20.7 to us. If we have a quality replacement lined up like Ajayi then I'd be surprised if he isn't sold.

Not sure if I have got those figures right!

17 minutes ago, downendcity said:

When we signed Webster for , what was it £3.5m, if anyone had said we could sell him within a year and make a profit, let's be honest we'd have been pretty happy to double our money, bearing in mind what we got for Flint.

To be talking of a fee around £20m is, as you say, just nuts.

It’s nuts to all sane people, but this is football where insanity rules. Yesterday Manure paid Palace £50M for the England u21 right back, who’s apparently worth 25 times the amount of the England u21 left back. Mind you they have a habit of paying Palace over the odds given their ill-fated signing of Zaha some years back. However, on that basis Webster is worth all of the £30 million discussed and Kalas is probably worth £60M. 

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

It’s nuts to all sane people, but this is football where insanity rules. Yesterday Manure paid Palace £50M for the England u21 right back, who’s apparently worth 25 times the amount of the England u21 left back. Mind you they have a habit of paying Palace over the odds given their ill-fated signing of Zaha some years back. However, on that basis Webster is worth all of the £30 million discussed and Kalas is probably worth £60M. 

It does seem crazy. But the key difference is that I am not sure teams look at Dasilva and see a top prem, champions league, international future left back. With Wan-Bissaka they must do to be paying that sort of money.

With Kalas he will probably never be more than a top championship, lower prem centre back. Webster potential to be top prem maybe, or that's what Villa and other teams must see in him.

A couple of things to consider w.r.t. the price - we don't know what we paid, it was rumoured to be £3.5m conditionally up to £8m, and there's likely a large sell on.  So - if we've hit some of the conditions and the price is looking like £5-6m and then there's a 40% sell on all of a sudden it doesn't look quite so rosy.  I imagine this (and not wanting to sell of course) are why SL's £30m number was mentioned at all.

28 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Well that's good to know. So if we get 30m, I know unlikely but that's what we are asking. We would get 24.7 I think.

More realistic figure maybe 25m would be 20.7 to us. If we have a quality replacement lined up like Ajayi then I'd be surprised if he isn't sold.

Not sure if I have got those figures right!

The Maths Police are on their way round to you right now John. Run or hide now.

20% of 30m is 24

20% of 25m is 20

Unless the .7 is for something else in which case please advise so that I can run and hide!

1 minute ago, Norn Iron said:

The Maths Police are on their way round to you right now John. Run or hide now.

20% of 30m is 24

20% of 25m is 20

Unless the .7 is for something else in which case please advise so that I can run and hide!

Of profit. So 30 or 25 - 3.5 / 100 X 20 (I think!)

4 minutes ago, One Team said:

£10m+ is decent money for a Championship defender.

£20m+ is stupid money.

Talk of £30m or even £40m is madness and not only can we not turn that down we shouldn’t turn it down. 

Yes he is a brilliant player but that sort of money is amazing. 

I tend to agree.

IF the club could get 30m plus the 13m+ for Kelly and maybe 5m+ for O'Dowda, we should be able to get a decent striker or two which we desperately need (assuming Semenyo isn't quite ready).

I'd rather there was no talk about 30m though - and we keep Webster.

34 minutes ago, RedDave said:

If we sell for £25m then we have made circa £21m profit. Give Ipswich 20% of that, £4.2m.  So from £25m we would receive £21.8m

25 minus 4.2 = 21.8? 

Archived