IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Webster to go, Flint to return.

You heard it here first.

(Just made that up)

Not sure if many would agree but if we sold Webster, I wouldn't even want Flint, even if he was real cheap.

Webster and Kalas have shown me what type of defenders we need to be bringing in from now on.

Complete players that are comfortable in one on ones, comfortable with ball at feet, comfortable when defending in wide areas. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Not sure if many would agree but if we sold Webster, I wouldn't even want Flint, even if he was real cheap.

Webster and Kalas have shown me what type of defenders we need to be bringing in from now on.

Complete players that are comfortable in one on ones, comfortable with ball at feet, comfortable when defending in wide areas. 

Webster's replacement will need to be comfortable playing on the LHS of defence. Kalas and Flint would both want to play on the right! When Bailey Wright was played on the left, it didn't work. We've got to play someone who is naturally left sided.

Here's a thought, apparently Bournemouth have a young, left footed guy who can play in the centre of defence ...

2 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Webster's replacement will need to be comfortable playing on the LHS of defence. Kalas and Flint would both want to play on the right! When Bailey Wright was played on the left, it didn't work. We've got to play someone who is naturally left sided.

Here's a thought, apparently Bournemouth have a young, left footed guy who can play in the centre of defence ...

Yeah, he was the ideal replacement. I think City will have someone lined up though if they sell Webster. Ajayi the obvious one. 

I really hope they don't trust in Baker. Had enough of his injuries and mistakes.

10 hours ago, chinapig said:

Fortunately, Ashton seems to be the Daniel Levy of the Championship and won't cave in as some fans would appear to want to.

Great comment, I was gonna post the same thing but then saw you’d done it already - Levy is a legendary negotiator, he has only got Spurs’ interests at heart and he won’t back down until he gets what he believes is right and appropriate for his club. That’s all he cares about - and their fans love him for that ...

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Great comment, I was gonna post the same thing but then saw you’d done it already - Levy is a legendary negotiator, he has only got Spurs’ interests at heart and he won’t back down until he gets what he believes is right and appropriate for his club. That’s all he cares about - and their fans love him for that ...

My favourite one though was when he got Out-Levyed.

Made 4 bids or something on deadline day a few years ago- and Jeremy Peace rejected each and every one!

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Who was he bidding for on that day?! He is relentless but good to see some will stand up to him ...

Berahino- your point about Levy made me google it and possibly the only time he's been outdone.

As for Ashton, he is great- he pretty often, perhaps more often than not seems to maximise the value of our players.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Berahino- your point about Levy made me google it and possibly the only time he's been outdone.

As for Ashton, he is great- he pretty often, perhaps more often than not seems to maximise the value of our players.

Berahino - I bet he’s now glad he missed out on that one!

I will be extremely disappointed if he goes this summer, after just one season with us? Really disappointed.

If we have to sell, not to those pricks. ******* hate Villa fans, try to set off a bidding war at least and sell him to the other team. Just not those assholes. 

I think he’ll be gone if we get bids of over £20 Million with add ons.                                             He’s a good player and I’ll be sorry to see him go, the prem is the promised land though and he’ll most probably treble his wages. 

4 minutes ago, YorksRed said:

Rumour today that Man U are after John McGinn for £50m.

If true then Villa will have a lot of money in their hands. Bad for more likely losing Webster but good for extracting the best possible price.

Blimey, I know he's good but United certainly gambling a lot of money on young players that might not be good enough for the level they want to be at. I guess buying experienced proven players didn't work though.

Well if Villa ever bid the asking price of 30 then I won't be as bothered as some on here, as that is crazy money to re-invest and make us stronger elsewhere. And there might well be a perfect replacement lined up for when that happens anyway.

We can still improve even if we sell him.

2 minutes ago, YorksRed said:

If true then Villa will have a lot of money in their hands. Bad for more likely losing Webster but good for extracting the best possible price.

Yeah someone's been out in the sun too long: https://www.skysports.com/football/transfer-paper-talk

'Manchester United are set to launch a sensational £50m bid for Aston Villa's John McGinn that would smash the transfer record for a Scot.'

What's that? A £2.5 million signing, their player of the season, who's never even played in the Prem supposedly has a price tag of £50 million? Surely not.

I'm pretty sure that if Villa fans bite they'll be stating categorically that they should fleece Utd for as close to that amount as they can whilst at the same time failing to see the irony of their reaction to our valuation of Webster. 

I can't wait (well, I can) for Utd fans to swarm Twitter saying Villa should be on their knees and thankful that the mighty Man U are even interested in one of their players and how dare they put that sort of price tag on him. Don't Villa know who they are?

Caveat: I don't believe that there is any truth in the amount as it's from the 'Scottish Sun' ? and is just crazy talk to fill column inches. Is Gregor MacGregor moonlighting up there?

Talking of GMacG I see the Post is saying that Villa are still in talks to sign AW for 20m to 25m. Looks like he's gone. If, big if, there was any truth in the McGinn figure I'd hope we're aware of it and push for closer to the 30m.

34 minutes ago, YorksRed said:

And villa fans will say he’s worth every penny. But villa fans think we should sell them Webster cheaply. I detest them 

3 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Alan Nixon over on Twitter saying that Villa definitely will go back in for Webster

The higher the bid the more chance him going I guess

I suspect it is now probable that we will sell. In which case best to get it done so we get the replacement I'm sure is lined up ahead of the trip to the States.

4 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

The higher the bid the more chance him going I guess

Yep.....every player has his price.

SL has put a £30m price tag on Webdini so if Villa or any other club are willing to cough up that kind of dough then so long Webdini.

Having watched Webdini all of last season I reckon he’s the most talented CB I’ve ever seen in a City shirt. He’s a real class act and LJ has said that he’d like to build the team around him and that City are no pressure to sell........so you never know he could well still be at AG next season,

12 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

And villa fans will say he’s worth every penny. But villa fans think we should sell them Webster cheaply. I detest them 

The moronic majority of Villa fans might want to bear this from Gregor in mind and show a bit of respect:

The respective boards of City and Villa get on extremely well, a relationship fostered by the sale of Jonthan Kodjia's move in 2016, Callum Robinson's loan and the arrival of Nathan Baker to the West Country.

With Villa undergoing financial difficulties in the summer of 2017, City agreed to alter the financial commitments of the Baker transfer, paying more money immediately to the club as opposed to staggering over a series of installments.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Yep.....every player has his price.

SL has put a £30m price tag on Webdini so if Villa or any other club are willing to cough up that kind of dough then so long Webdini.

Having watched Webdini all of last season I reckon he’s the most talented CB I’ve ever seen in a City shirt. He’s a real class act and LJ has said that he’d like to build the team around him and that City are no pressure to sell........so you never know he could well still be at AG next season,

LJ knows the realities of the situation. He will be disappointed to lose Webster of course but will deal with it: provided he gets the replacement he wants.

9 minutes ago, chinapig said:

LJ knows the realities of the situation. He will be disappointed to lose Webster of course but will deal with it: provided he gets the replacement he wants.

LJs record of recruiting  first team players is excellent based on last seasons evidence. Very few of us had heard of Dasilva, Kalas or Webdini for that matter. 

To think that a year ago some posters were panicking at the loss of Bryan, Flint and Reid..............:cool2:

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJs record of recruiting  first team players is excellent based on last seasons evidence. Very few of us had heard of Dasilva, Kalas or Webdini for that matter. 

To think that a year ago some posters were panicking at the loss of Bryan, Flint and Reid..............:cool2:

Surely most fans had at least heard of Kalas and Webster. Both regular championship players before joining us

How anyone anymore can doubt the progress we are making - the strides we are taking - on and off the pitch, beggars belief. Whereas once we bought and sold over-the-hill sh1te and mediocrity for no obvious gain, then we progressed to selling players to clubs looking to gain promotion to the Prem (Heaton to Burnley; Baldock to Brighton; Flint to Middlesbrough etc) now we find ourselves selling our finest to clubs probably going to struggle and/or be relegated from the Prem (Reid to Cardiff; Bryan to Fulham; Webster to Villa).

We have even, now, moved into a new dawn for us and begun to flog talent to proper, established Prem clubs not going to be struggling at the bottom of the Prem like plucky Villa (Kelly to Bournemouth).

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Surely most fans had at least heard of Kalas and Webster. Both regular championship players before joining us

Well I know only one City fan that was aware of both Kalas and Webdini before they joined City. He is a bit of a nerd btw.......

42 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Tomori would be a great replacement. One I could certainly see happen at the quoted 10m Chelsea want for him if Webster goes for silly money. 

We have such a great relationship with Chelsea that this wouldn't surprise me, we might need the money for strikers though.

Ampadu on loan could be a good shout too. Villa were after him but if they get Webster we may be next in line. Let's be honest it would be surprising if a Chelsea player DIDN'T join on loan given recent seasons. 

Chelsea love us and I don't think that'll change with Lampard there given he knows LJ and JMc. 

Archived