IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Well I know only one City fan that was aware of both Kalas and Webdini before they joined City. He is a bit of a nerd btw.......

I imagine a lot of other fans had seen Webster and Kalas play before they joined us. Anyone that watches a bit of championship football, or actually sees who plays for the opposition at our games would have known who they are. I'd only seen Dasilva for England under 21s.

I’m becoming resigned to losing AW now , money talks and silly money shouts ‘ take me ‘ from the rooftops.

We can surely replace the lad , no matter how good he is , with similar for less.

The clubs quoted as being after him are going down the lazy expensive way of recruiting.

I would be happy if he was replaced by some relatively unknown ball playing centreback from Germany or Holland , for example. ( Would have to run any signing by Villa before we committed of course. They will need to know what they’ll be buying next season) 

Bye bye Adam and thank you .

:sad26:

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Well I know only one City fan that was aware of both Kalas and Webdini before they joined City. He is a bit of a nerd btw.......

Don't judge others by your own standards. We are not all as insular when it comes to football.

Only yesterday you asserted that Szmodics was similar to Bannan when a little research would have told you they are very different players. Now you seriously claim most of us had never heard of Kalas and Webster?

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJs record of recruiting  first team players is excellent based on last seasons evidence. Very few of us had heard of Dasilva, Kalas or Webdini for that matter. 

To think that a year ago some posters were panicking at the loss of Bryan, Flint and Reid..............:cool2:

I hadn't heard of Webdini until about two minutes ago.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Don't judge others by your own standards. We are not all as insular when it comes to football.

Only yesterday you asserted that Szmodics was similar to Bannan when a little research would have told you they are very different players. Now you seriously claim most of us had never heard of Kalas and Webster?

I’ve heard of both of them. 

:yes:

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I would be happy if he was replaced by some relatively unknown ball playing centreback from Germany or Holland , for example. 

Is Jens Hegeler available?

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Share your view and disappointment though. Players like Webster come to us so raraely and are just a joy to watch.

14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We have such a great relationship with Chelsea that this wouldn't surprise me, we might need the money for strikers though.

Ampadu on loan could be a good shout too. Villa were after him but if they get Webster we may be next in line. Let's be honest it would be surprising if a Chelsea player DIDN'T join on loan given recent seasons. 

Chelsea love us and I don't think that'll change with Lampard there given he knows LJ and JMc. 

We might need the money for strikers indeed. The question for me is what was our budget before we sold Kelly and where will it stand when we sell Webster?

I'm sure SL will want to come out of this with a profit but that could still give us plenty of scope, especially if at least one signing is a loan.

It would have to be a very talented Prem youngster on loan to fill the void left by AW if he does go.

I would be looking at £20m plus a player or two dependent on the club and players available as part of any deal 

If it’s Villa then I would take Hourihane as part of a deal

Everton I would take Robinson & Williams 

Southampton - Gallagher and Afolabi

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

We might need the money for strikers indeed. The question for me is what was our budget before we sold Kelly and where will it stand when we sell Webster?

I'm sure SL will want to come out of this with a profit but that could still give us plenty of scope, especially if at least one signing is a loan.

I can't imagine us spending loads up top. I think we'll probably get Moore for 3m. If so and if Fam stays then one of Fam or Moore will probably start each game, as otherwise I don't see the point in having 2 of the same type if neither start.

We then have Szmodics who I imagine will be the Reid type forward. I can't see us spending loads on another when we also have Taylor, Weimann and Semenyo.

Key thing is whether Fam rumour is true. If it is then that is even more money, and plus we have to then replace our main striker. Only then could I see us potentially spending quite big on a forward. But then LJ might find a clever bargain. How much would Nketiah loan cost. Probably not loads.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I can't imagine us spending loads up top. I think we'll probably get Moore for 3m. If so and if Fam stays then one of Fam or Moore will probably start each game, as otherwise I don't see the point in having 2 of the same type if neither start.

We then have Szmodics who I imagine will be the Reid type forward. I can't see us spending loads on another when we also have Taylor, Weimann and Semenyo.

Key thing is whether Fam rumour is true. If it is then that is even more money, and plus we have to then replace our main striker. Only then could I see us potentially spending quite big on a forward. But then LJ might find a clever bargain. How much would Nketiah loan cost. Probably not loads.

I'm convinced Nketiah is the one we want most, though any loan is likely to happen later in the window I would assume. We may yet sign another striker as well though.

2 minutes ago, Westcountry Robins said:

Hoping Moore and Vyner step up and that we haven’t signed the Southend deal yet. If we hit the jackpot with Webster we need to spend on top upcoming strikers like Watkins or Bowen.

Can’t see moore being anywhere near our first team, think he’ll be shipped out.

55 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I’m becoming resigned to losing AW now , money talks and silly money shouts ‘ take me ‘ from the rooftops.

We can surely replace the lad , no matter how good he is , with similar for less.

The clubs quoted as being after him are going down the lazy expensive way of recruiting.

I would be happy if he was replaced by some relatively unknown ball playing centreback from Germany or Holland , for example. ( Would have to run any signing by Villa before we committed of course. They will need to know what they’ll be buying next season) 

Bristol City FC Aston Villa Academy :no:

Can’t fault City for selling Webster for the prices being quoted if he goes and I don’t think we should stand in his way.

However from a fan’s perspective it will be a real shame losing him so quickly - especially after he formed one of the best centre back partnerships City have had for many years and I was excited to see him and Kalas build on it this year.

Signing Dasilva, Kalas and Bentley is excellent defensively but just a shame we probably won’t see another year of Webster effortlessly bringing the ball out of defence like a younger less composed Richard Dryden. 

58 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I’m very insular when it comes to City.i take very little in other Championship players unless they have an outstanding game against us.

Szmodics and Bannan - both ball winning and creative midfielders, both have goals in them. I’ve seen Bannan several times but not seen Szmodics on account of the later playing in lower leagues but based on what I’ve read he’s a talented midfielder as is Bannan.

Apart from the level they played at, in what way are they not similar? 

the difference?

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We have such a great relationship with Chelsea that this wouldn't surprise me, we might need the money for strikers though.

Ampadu on loan could be a good shout too. Villa were after him but if they get Webster we may be next in line. Let's be honest it would be surprising if a Chelsea player DIDN'T join on loan given recent seasons. 

Chelsea love us and I don't think that'll change with Lampard there given he knows LJ and JMc. 

Should still have quite a chunk left over for a striker if Tomori only costs 10m though. 

Yesterday you mentioned they’re near our valuation of Webster, is the clubs valuation the same as the £30m Johnson said do you know? 

59 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Once Villa opened their bidding at £12m I thought the writing was on the wall as with Ashton's hard ball negotiating it was/is inevitable that it will end up at  the "silly end" of the transfer fee spectrum. At that level it would almost be crazy for the club and player to turn down the offer, no matter how badly we would want Webster to stay as an important part of the team.

As @Moments of Pleasure says this transfer window is really showing how far we've come, when during this window we could sell 2 defenders to premier league clubs for combined fees in excess of £30m - one from our own academy and one regarded as a risky purchase for £.5m only 1 year ago. 

While  our transfer activity is still probably being made with one eye on our ffp situation, the big difference these days is that when selling our better layers we can look to replace with far batter quality than would have been the case only 2/3 seasons ago.  Until we have developed much bigger income streams player sales will be an essential part of the clubs development and evolution, even though many fans don't like it but when we can bring in the England U21 full back for a fraction of the fee Man U paid for his England full back partner then we are certainly heading in the right direction. 

31 minutes ago, Westcountry Robins said:

Hoping Moore and Vyner step up and that we haven’t signed the Southend deal yet. If we hit the jackpot with Webster we need to spend on top upcoming strikers like Watkins or Bowen.

Ayy? We need to replace Webster with either a big money signing or quality loan. I’d be absolutely gutted if we sold Webster for 20M+ and spent the money on strikers. 

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Great comment, I was gonna post the same thing but then saw you’d done it already - Levy is a legendary negotiator, he has only got Spurs’ interests at heart and he won’t back down until he gets what he believes is right and appropriate for his club. That’s all he cares about - and their fans love him for that ...

I've been a huge fan of Ashton since he arrived, he does what he does way better than anyone else at this level.

19 minutes ago, 77 punk said:

moore and vyner are nowhere near good enough for a promotion push in the championship we will sell webster it is inevitable we will have to get another quality centre half (tomori on loan  ? )

I don't see why Vyner cant play now. Had brilliant end to the season with Rotherham at right back. 

Moore brilliant season at Southend by all accounts. They're both improving every season.

I don't think Moore will be a regular starter, but I'd like us to get rid of Baker if we can and have him and Wright as back up. 

Moore is the Webster type, Wright the Kalas type. Worse versions of them of course, but they'd be ideal replacements if injured.

As for Baker, I don't know why anyone would want to keep him. Mistake after mistake. Terrible on the ball, slow. Really hope we sell him.

To be fair, I would be gutted to lose Webster but I was also gutted when Flint left and look what LJ brought in to replace him.

IF Webster goes we’ll have someone equally as good lined up to replace him at the very least , no doubt about that.

8 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Should still have quite a chunk left over for a striker if Tomori only costs 10m though. 

Yesterday you mentioned they’re near our valuation of Webster, is the clubs valuation the same as the £30m Johnson said do you know? 

£30m is a bargaining position imo. We'll settle for less but obviously a fair bit more than the £20m package currently on offer. 

Be a real shame not to see him in a City shirt again.

Hope Ashton plays hardball but realistically I'd take £20m upfront with clauses for Prem survival, appearances and an England call up pushing it towards £30m. Something like that.

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’m very insular when it comes to City.i take very little in other Championship players unless they have an outstanding game against us.

Szmodics and Bannan - both ball winning and creative midfielders, both have goals in them. I’ve seen Bannan several times but not seen Szmodics on account of the later playing in lower leagues but based on what I’ve read he’s a talented midfielder as is Bannan.

Apart from the level they played at, in what way are they not similar? 

the difference?

So you don't take an interest but claim to know what kind of player Szmodics is? That seems to be a contradiction.

There's quite a good piece on the BP site about Szmodics if you want to know more.

For a simplistic comparison you would be familar with, think Bobby Reid, though Szmodics has also played as a lone striker and on the flank. None of which really compares with Bannan.

Archived