IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

17 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

Ayy? We need to replace Webster with either a big money signing or quality loan. I’d be absolutely gutted if we sold Webster for 20M+ and spent the money on strikers. 

Don’t think we should spend big money on centre back if we have Kalas coming, Baker and Wright already here and proven champ quality, as is Vyner with headroom to improve, Moore might shine in pre season. Better off spending up top and also upgrading at right back. 

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

So you don't take an interest but claim to know what kind of player Szmodics is? That seems to be a contradiction.

There's quite a good piece on the BP site about Szmodics if you want to know more.

For a simplistic comparison you would be familar with, think Bobby Reid, though Szmodics has also played as a lone striker and on the flank. None of which really compares with Bannan.

Completely different type of player to Bannan, I don’t see any comparison at all so agree with you Chinapig

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

So you don't take an interest but claim to know what kind of player Szmodics is? That seems to be a contradiction.

There's quite a good piece on the BP site about Szmodics if you want to know more.

For a simplistic comparison you would be familar with, think Bobby Reid, though Szmodics has also played as a lone striker and on the flank. None of which really compares with Bannan.

I don’t pay much attention to other Championship players unless they have an outstanding game against us and my take on Szmodics is based on what I’ve read - haven’t I already said that?

1 minute ago, Westcountry Robins said:

Don’t think we should spend big money on centre back if we have Kalas coming, Baker and Wright already here and proven champ quality, as is Vyner with headroom to improve, Moore might shine in pre season. Better off spending up top and also upgrading at right back. 

Baker is a decent left sided CB but not got the ability of Webster to bring the ball forward. Runs down blind alleys the times I’ve seen him play and loses the ball

Kalas will be the right sided CB so Baker is only left footed CB we have if Webster goes

Can see us getting a loan from the Prem but trust the club to have all eventualities covered off

14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think this is spot on too. While I really don’t want to lost Webster, logic dictates that he has a price and it’s likely to happen. Webster will likely quadruple his wages and play where all players want to be, and we’ll be able to reinvest the money in a number of new players. Unfortunately it’s just basic common sense and economics. 

For what it’s worth, I honestly believe that Webster can get himself into an England squad or two if he adjusts to the premier league in the way he did playing for us. The way he plays is perfect for the modern game and if you think of the likes of Tarkowski, Keane etc who’ve been involved I think Webster has the potential to be better than them. I’m not saying he’ll be a regular by any means, but he certainly has the potential to get an opportunity. 

I just wish it wasn’t Villa he was looking like going to. Like most on here I can’t stand them! 

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don’t pay much attention to other Championship players unless they have an outstanding game against us and my take on Szmodics is based on what I’ve read - haven’t I already said that?

Your take on Szmodics is wrong, he is an attacking midfielder who gets beyond the striker whereas Bannan is a deep-lying playmaker.

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Read more I suggest. In effect you are saying that Reid and Bannan are similar players, which is palpably not the case.

Still, you'll see when the season starts. 

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Don't judge others by your own standards. We are not all as insular when it comes to football.

Only yesterday you asserted that Szmodics was similar to Bannan when a little research would have told you they are very different players. Now you seriously claim most of us had never heard of Kalas and Webster?

He's talking about some mythical footballer named Webdini, whereas we have a defensive kingpin named Adam Webster.

Selling Webster will show a severe lack of ambition.

We don’t need to sell, we’ve said we won’t, the player is happy as evidenced by the first day back video. 

If we bring in competition up front and at right back, we’ll have one of the strongest teams in the division (including Kalas) and we’ll hopefully set for a payday much larger than £20 or even £30 million  come May 2020 and 20% or more of that won’t have to go to Ipswich.

If we sell, even if we’re offered £30 million it will be a bizarre decision from the club who have said he’s not for sale. That should be that.

People seem to be making the assumption that the replacement we sign will be equally as good as Webster. I'd say that it's going to be very difficult to find anybody as good, for a reasonable price who will want to come to Bristol City. Possible of course, but unlikely. The lad is absolute class, and those are enormous shoes to fill.

I'm not saying we shouldn't sell if silly money is offered, but we need to be realistic about the fact that breaking up the defensive partnership that was the main reason for our playoff push last season, is likely to weaken us quite a bit, and maybe we should readjust our expectations for the season.

40 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Should still have quite a chunk left over for a striker if Tomori only costs 10m though

Who on earth would think this sort of thing would ever be said in relation to a potential City purchase. We’ve come a long way, baby! 

2 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

People seem to be making the assumption that the replacement we sign will be equally as good as Webster. I'd say that it's going to be very difficult to find anybody as good, for a reasonable price who will want to come to Bristol City. Possible of course, but unlikely. The lad is absolute class, and those are enormous shoes to fill.

I'm not saying we shouldn't sell if silly money is offered, but we need to be realistic about the fact that breaking up the defensive partnership that was the main reason for our playoff push last season, is likely to weaken us quite a bit, and maybe we should readjust our expectations for the season.

Sadly I think you’re spot on. The only way I can see around it is if we bring in just an adequate replacement then splash the real money on a striker. Defence isn’t as important if we’ve got a Maupay (just an example) hitting the net every week.

4 minutes ago, STeveOELlis said:

We don’t need to sell, we’ve said we won’t, the player is happy as evidenced by the first day back video. 

If we bring in competition up front and at right back, we’ll have one of the strongest teams in the division (including Kalas) and we’ll hopefully set for a payday much larger than £20 or even £30 million  come May 2020 and 20% or more of that won’t have to go to Ipswich.

If we sell, even if we’re offered £30 million it will be a bizarre decision from the club who have said he’s not for sale. That should be that.

Webster might be Happy here but Villa would be in a position to treble his wages and money talks i'm afraid so when Villa meet our valuation he will be off :( Its not a lack of ambition by the club we are trying everything to keep him

1 minute ago, westonred said:

Webster might be Happy here but Villa would be in a position to treble his wages and money talks i'm afraid so when Villa meet our valuation he will be off :( Its not a lack of ambition by the club we are trying everything to keep him

It’s not hard to add a promotion clause to a contract, which I’m pretty sure is already in his contract 

46 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Once Villa opened their bidding at £12m I thought the writing was on the wall as with Ashton's hard ball negotiating it was/is inevitable that it will end up at  the "silly end" of the transfer fee spectrum. At that level it would almost be crazy for the club and player to turn down the offer, no matter how badly we would want Webster to stay as an important part of the team.

As @Moments of Pleasure says this transfer window is really showing how far we've come, when during this window we could sell 2 defenders to premier league clubs for combined fees in excess of £30m - one from our own academy and one regarded as a risky purchase for £.5m only 1 year ago. 

While  our transfer activity is still probably being made with one eye on our ffp situation, the big difference these days is that when selling our better layers we can look to replace with far batter quality than would have been the case only 2/3 seasons ago.  Until we have developed much bigger income streams player sales will be an essential part of the clubs development and evolution, even though many fans don't like it but when we can bring in the England U21 full back for a fraction of the fee Man U paid for his England full back partner then we are certainly heading in the right direction. 

Webster's fee a year ago was £3.5m - need a new proof reader!

2 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Well I assume he will only be sold if Ashton promises LJ a certain quality replacement - Tomori or Ajayi for example. 

A bit like when LJ said to Ashton to only sell Flint if he promises he will get Webster.

Lets use Tomori as an example, as many are familiar with him. If he comes in then I don't see why we can't be just as strong. 

It's not that Tomori is even as good as Webster. But he looks so good at our level, and is younger than Webster by a couple of years. I can't see how we can't improve overall as a team with Tomori and Kalas as a pairing, and have extra money to strengthen elsewhere.

Van der Hoorn only has 12 months left on his contract at Swansea, and I think him and Kalas would be very good together. I think the Swans would take 5/6 million for him now given that he could go for nothing next year.

Then invest 8-10 million on a striker who will bang for us, and put the remaining 4-5 million into the kitty for another RB and Central midfielder. 

33 minutes ago, Westcountry Robins said:

We also desperately need a quality defensive midfielder

If, as seems increasingly likely, AW is sold for something in excess of £20m that would represent a remarkable achievement for both the Club and the player.

There’s no doubt we would not stand in his way if the right sum was offered by a Premiership team. Resulting in AW moving from Ipswich via us to the Premier League in a blink of an eye and BCFC making an excellent return on their investment (even after 20% is paid to Ipswich) 

As much as we would not wish to lose AW every player has their price. 

I’m delighted by the signings we’ve made so far and although it’s always hard to see quality players leave the fee we received for LK and the potential fee that might be received for AW make it understandable and sensible for them and the club to part company.

Well done to MA and all concerned with pursuing and executing a sustainable and sensible transfer strategy.  Us fans are perhaps too often swayed by our emotions when it comes to players coming and going!

4 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Van der Hoorn only has 12 months left on his contract at Swansea, and I think him and Kalas would be very good together. I think the Swans would take 5/6 million for him now given that he could go for nothing next year.

Then invest 8-10 million on a striker who will bang for us, and put the remaining 4-5 million into the kitty for another RB and Central midfielder. 

Absolutely would be my first target

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Well I assume he will only be sold if Ashton promises LJ a certain quality replacement - Tomori or Ajayi for example. 

A bit like when LJ said to Ashton to only sell Flint if he promises he will get Webster.

Lets use Tomori as an example, as many are familiar with him. If he comes in then I don't see why we can't be just as strong. 

It's not that Tomori is even as good as Webster. But he looks so good at our level, and is younger than Webster by a couple of years. I can't see how we can't improve overall as a team with Tomori and Kalas as a pairing, and have extra money to strengthen elsewhere.

Only reservation with your thoughts is that if Lampard takes over at Chelsea, he may be ready to use him in his first team squad. Especially ad they are in a transfer embargo.

6 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Only reservation with your thoughts is that if Lampard takes over at Chelsea, he may be ready to use him in his first team squad. Especially ad they are in a transfer embargo.

Maybe. But I thought I read earlier that he is available for 10m? Maybe not.

I guess Chelsea only really have 3 senior centre backs if Cahill leaves. Azpilicueta can also play there, and not sure if Ampadu is going to be still ahead of Tomori.

9 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I think some are looking back a year and seeing that the seemingly irreplaceable Flint was replaced by Wesbter and Bryan by Dasilva. 

Of course at the same time we sold Reid, but his "replacement", Weiman, was not such a success, although I think he's a better player than many give credit.

However, the key to a degree of optimism about Webster's replacement is that the last 12 months seem to show that the club has got it's act together when it comes to player recruitment, even though some will continually point to failures like Engval. Our financial position is getting stronger every season, no doubt helped by our transfer successes, and this means we can look at a different level of player than would have been the case only a couple of seasons ago. 

Add in that we seem have an ace negotiator in Ashton, and I think I would feel more confident about securing a good replacement for Webster, and at a good fee for us,  than would have been the case in the past. 

If I was Kalas & saw us about to sell Webster I’d be having second thoughts. We don’t have to sell & it shows a lack of ambition from a club supposedly now looking to get promoted to the Prem. It’s similar to the Greslish situation - Villa didn’t sell, kept him & now he is worth even more.

If I was Webster & had genuine Prem League ambition then Villa would not be one of the clubs top of my list. They will struggle, likely get relegated & his reputation could be wrecked through no fault of his own.

However £25m+ is an incredible amount of money for a one season centre back with a dodgey injury history. If nothing else it pays for a significant part of the recent redevelopment. Plus I’m sure there is probably an agent behind the scenes pushing for a deal so he can take his greedy cut.

On that basis I think Webster is now a goner which would be a massive loss for us on the pitch. Clearly whether it becomes the right decision to sell him or not will come down to how, when & on who we reinvest the funds.

43 minutes ago, STeveOELlis said:

I dont think it would show a lack of ambition (it would if he came out and said he doesnt want to leave but we decided to cash in on him anyway). Face it, if he does leave it'll be because he wants guaranteed PL football and more money (which you cant begrudge him). Plus his agent will be influencing things too. If the club refuse to let him leave we quite possibly end up with an unhappy player and agent stiring up the squad and that could do a lot more damage. 

Nothing to do with lack of ambition if he does go IMO (which I think he will now). The club will have other targets to bring i if he does plus if the reported fee range is true we could end up with c15-20m to reinvest.

I personally don’t think Webster will leave for Villa, he might want a more established Premier League club. Or might just think I will give it another season here, as he can see what is going on behind the scenes!!

i think that Webster was fantastic last year,  but could also a reason of how good he looked was the great partner he had alongside him? 

I mean Kalas was fantastic and it was quite rare he let many things past him! I am not saying it was all Kalas but I am sure he helped vastly Webster play as he did!

I hope we dont sell Webster, but if we do it will be for the right reason, and I trust Johnson to bring in an adequate replacement.

Archived