IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

McGregor face talking about 20-25m and a deal that quadruples Websters wages. Basically, he’s gone- any talk of lingering doubt just to soften up/reconcile fan base. Pretty clear promise to replace and bring in top class striker. Hope to god the scouts have been busy.

16 hours ago, chinapig said:

The moronic majority of Villa fans might want to bear this from Gregor in mind and show a bit of respect:

The respective boards of City and Villa get on extremely well, a relationship fostered by the sale of Jonthan Kodjia's move in 2016, Callum Robinson's loan and the arrival of Nathan Baker to the West Country.

With Villa undergoing financial difficulties in the summer of 2017, City agreed to alter the financial commitments of the Baker transfer, paying more money immediately to the club as opposed to staggering over a series of installments.

On this.

I am going to tentatively suggest, though I am unsure when it was written this could be in the past tense a bit?

ie before Aston Villa's new owners and Purslow- there's something a hell of a lot more arrogant, cocksure about them now than under Xia and whoever their CEO was then- a fair chunk of their fans also appear more grating- more entitled, though this could be a social media driven effect, exaggeration- amplifier etc.

Posed this question on the Kalas thread so in the interest of fairness:

if at the end of last season, you were asked whether you'd prefer to bring Kalas in and sell Webster or not be able to get Kalas back and keep Webster which would you go for? I think I'd have preferred to get Kalas and lose Webster. He just seems to be more crucial in keeping our defence tight for me. Thoughts?

If someone said to me we would keep 2 of the 3 cracking defenders from last season and potentially be around 28m (with the sale of kelly) up i would taken that. If course I don't want to lose webby but we're in a very good position to bring in a decent replacement 

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On this.

I am going to tentatively suggest, though I am unsure when it was written this could be in the past tense a bit?

ie before Aston Villa's new owners and Purslow- there's something a hell of a lot more arrogant, cocksure about them now than under Xia and whoever their CEO was then- a fair chunk of their fans also appear more grating- more entitled, though this could be a social media driven effect, exaggeration- amplifier etc.

The number of fans posting on forums or social media is a tiny fraction of their fan base, as is the case with us and OTIB.

Imagine fans of other clubs reading some of the posts on OTIB and using that to judge City's fanbase as a whole?

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

The number of fans posting on forums or social media is a tiny fraction of their fan base, as is the case with us and OTIB.

Imagine fans of other clubs reading some of the posts on OTIB and using that to judge City's fanbase as a whole?

All fair. I use social media less and less- here notwithstanding of course- myself.  Social media as an amplifier definitely isn't such a fair extrapolation.

If he has to go..................Anyone but Aston Villa, we are becoming a feeder club for those pheckers?   It has to be a fee of 25 mill plus.   i hope, if he goes, its to a quality side like Everton or Newcastle.  If he ends up at Villa Park........it will be a Joe Bryan situation again, big wages, but back playing in the Championship for season 2020-21 ?

3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

If he has to go..................Anyone but Aston Villa, we are becoming a feeder club for those pheckers?   It has to be a fee of 25 mill plus.   i hope, if he goes, its to a quality side like Everton or Newcastle.  If he ends up at Villa Park........it will be a Joe Bryan situation again, big wages, but back playing in the Championship for season 2020-21 ?

Think he could be a good fit at Wolves personally. Quite a few sides he could slot into however!

5 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Yep......only 16 mill?   He is worth more than that in the current absurd transfer market, where a young full back goes to Man Ure for 50 mill?

The transfer market really is a funny thing.

Looking overseas. A very good young defender from Stuttgart who signed in January- Bundesliga btw. 19 year old, Turkish- signed from Galatasaray- quite highly rated, performed well in CL before January i.e. the group stage and seems a ball playing CB for sure- dunno if its safe of expansive- but a CB nonetheless. Now while the  2 Milan clubs and Roma are at varied stages of rebuilding, their interest a good sign. Bayern also wanted him but Schalke appear to have won that one.

Relegation release clause? 15 million euros!

20 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Completely agree.

If I was Webster, i would wait to see what other clubs come in with an offer. If he so desires to be in the PL it would be taking a risk signing for Villa. Its still very early in the window, and Villa could easily do a Cardiff or a Fulham and be straight back down. Thus he would be no further forward career wise.

Everton would be a good fit for him, as would a Watford or Newcastle. Established PL clubs.

15 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Completely agree.

If I was Webster, i would wait to see what other clubs come in with an offer. If he so desires to be in the PL it would be taking a risk signing for Villa. Its still very early in the window, and Villa could easily do a Cardiff or a Fulham and be straight back down. Thus he would be no further forward career wise.

Everton would be a good fit for him, as would a Watford or Newcastle. Established PL clubs.

The departure of Benitez means they may not be established much longer!

Not sure if this has been echoed elsewhere but if he goes it will be a big loss, but some people thought Flint was irreplaceable and I don’t think anyone would have taken Flint back over Webster. So I’m prepared to trust LJ knows who he wants to replace him. 

Hes made some questionable signings but I don’t think so far he’s signed up a bad defender (*awaits correction on this*).

27 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Not sure if this has been echoed elsewhere but if he goes it will be a big loss, but some people thought Flint was irreplaceable and I don’t think anyone would have taken Flint back over Webster. So I’m prepared to trust LJ knows who he wants to replace him. 

Hes made some questionable signings but I don’t think so far he’s signed up a bad defender (*awaits correction on this*).

Also, people seem to forget the importance of Kalas in allowing Webster to make them runs out of defence, if you had a Bailey Wright or Flint alongside him he wouldn’t of been allowed as much freedom as he had. Kalas will improve most defenders he plays alongside. 

9 minutes ago, Selred said:

No because that money has been spent and accounted for. You don’t just spend the profit.

In terms of amortisation etc.

£3.5m/4. Knock a quarter off.

Current profit, book value wise at least would be for some purposes at least £16m-£2.625m=£13.375m.

What % went to Ipswich- was this of profit or of total fee or of transaction minus book value? Quite a few ways to measure!

Lastly, how many of the add-ons have been fulfilled to date? This *might* come into play too.

19 hours ago, chinapig said:

Stan Kroenke is the answer why: ask any Arsenal fan.

Reportedly Emery has been given a budget of £40m plus whatever he raises from sales. It has been suggested in the last few days that Emery has been pleading with Kroenke to give him the money for Zaha.

The problem for Emery is that he cannot offload Ozil because of his wages and obviously doesn't want to sell the likes of Aubameyang.

All of this has been widely reported so I have not said anything controversial.

It's just the way Stan plays the game, he's not one for overspending, but if they want Zaha then he will go to Arsenal.  Personally I would be trying to offload a few players anyway and also nick Michy Batshuayi as well if I could.  Look at last season you got £50m spends nearly £75m in August.  Arsenal have the money, Kronke just wants to know its spent well as he's been spoiled over the year with Asene turning a profit and hitting top 4 year after year.

14 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

It's just the way Stan plays the game, he's not one for overspending, but if they want Zaha then he will go to Arsenal.  Personally I would be trying to offload a few players anyway and also nick Michy Batshuayi as well if I could.  Look at last season you got £50m spends nearly £75m in August.  Arsenal have the money, Kronke just wants to know its spent well as he's been spoiled over the year with Asene turning a profit and hitting top 4 year after year.

Maybe but then again, you might want to delve into those "profits" a bit vs wage bill and how much of a contributing factor CL revenue, profit on transfer- and indeed I guess from finishing top 4 higher TV and Prize money is/was.

Can be a grey area there, tbh. Without CL revenue this picture can change- for Arsenal anyway. All clubs differ in circs. Not sure they're in danger of failing FFP but they're restricted for a reason.

,No idea if this is viable?......I may be naive.  Why not say to AW, that if we are not in the top 4-5 in January, we will be ok to let you go?   I appreciate that if he does his achilles in November, then it becomes majorly problematic.   Just clutching at straws possibly, as i am desperate for Adam to stay!   Please NOT to Villa, if you have to go, better clubs will come in for you...........anyone but phecking Aston Villa!!

25 minutes ago, Selred said:

No because that money has been spent and accounted for. You don’t just spend the profit.

The club's valuation will be partly dictated by what we paid for him. If you are assessing how much profit we make on a player then I don't understand why you wouldn't discount what we paid for them. Nothing to do with financial years or whether that money has already been spent/accounted for. 

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The club's valuation will be partly dictated by what we paid for him. If you are assessing how much profit we make on a player then I don't understand why you wouldn't discount what we paid for them. Nothing to do with financial years or whether that money has already been spent/accounted for. 

By that logic wouldn't we also offset against the Flint revenue and you could keep going back ad infinitum?

Still though c10m profit is pretty decent on a CB and the challenge now is to find a suitable replacement with equal potential for performance and ultimately profit. 

I'm guessing they'll think that Kalas has the potential to quadruple his value when he hits prime.

37 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Kroenke seems to be acting in the same way with Arse as he does with his American team(s).Turning successful clubs into mediocrities. I can’t remember who he has in the US but the fans aren’t happy with his attitude.

1 hour ago, ncnsbcfc said:

All understood Neil & of course it makes perfect sense - especially IF we go up and they come down next season. BUT he may take a more pragmatic view that any move that puts him on say £50k a week on a 3 or 4 year contract (call it 10 million quid in round figures over 4 yrs)  is worth it to set him & his family up quite nicely. 

9 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Kroenke seems to be acting in the same way with Arse as he does with his American team(s).Turning successful clubs into mediocrities. I can’t remember who he has in the US but the fans aren’t happy with his attitude.

The LA Rams made the Superbowl last season. Admittedly they've been rubbish prior to 2017, but I don't think they could now be considered 'mediocre'.

I know nothing about basketball, but I also believe the Denver Nuggets made the play-off semi finals last season.

Archived