IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

16 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

All understood Neil & of course it makes perfect sense - especially IF we go up and they come down next season. BUT he may take a more pragmatic view that any move that puts him on say £50k a week on a 3 or 4 year contract (call it 10 million quid in round figures over 4 yrs)  is worth it to set him & his family up quite nicely. 

Because god know's how he'd cope with only £5 million....food banks on the horizon I reckon!

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In terms of amortisation etc.

£3.5m/4. Knock a quarter off.

Current profit, book value wise at least would be for some purposes at least £16m-£2.625m=£13.375m.

What % went to Ipswich- was this of profit or of total fee or of transaction minus book value? Quite a few ways to measure!

Lastly, how many of the add-ons have been fulfilled to date? This *might* come into play too.

It’ll be whatever was agreed with Ipswich ?, but in most cases it will be percentage of [selling fee minus buying fee].  Of course this can be complicated by any add-ons.  For example if City had agreed that we’d pay them £1m for every 30 games, then City might want to add in that it is added to the buying fee to reduce amount of percentage sell on later on.

Imagine Webster hit all the milestones to take the transfer to the rumoured £8m....and we sold him for £8m (crazy scenario heh?)

Then If we’d not included the add-ons as part of the sell-on %, then we’d be out of pocket, e.g. we’ve given Ipswich £8m, let still need to pay them 20% of £4.5m profit....another £900k.

Of course we don’t know what add-ons he’s hit.

55 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The club's valuation will be partly dictated by what we paid for him. If you are assessing how much profit we make on a player then I don't understand why you wouldn't discount what we paid for them. Nothing to do with financial years or whether that money has already been spent/accounted for. 

I'm not assessing how much profit we make. I'm assessing how much is in the kitty for replacements. 

7 minutes ago, Selred said:

I'm not assessing how much profit we make. I'm assessing how much is in the kitty for replacements. 

I imagine the City accountants have a big spreadsheet (proper accounting stuff) that 1) tracks the actual numbers and forecasts and 2) allows them to do what-If projections over a series of years.

This will drive budgets (which is not just Fees, but wages, bonuses, signing on fees, agent commission etc) and impact of FFP.

A bad example but Kelly’s £13m could be offsetting contract increases for existing players as well as any fees / wages etc for incoming.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I imagine the City accountants have a big spreadsheet (proper accounting stuff) that 1) tracks the actual numbers and forecasts and 2) allows them to do what-If projections over a series of years.

This will drive budgets (which is not just Fees, but wages, bonuses, signing on fees, agent commission etc) and impact of FFP.

A bad example but Kelly’s £13m could be offsetting contract increases for existing players as well as any fees / wages etc for incoming.

Just to make your head really spin Dave, I've heard the Kelly fee wasn't £13m as has being widely reported ?

47 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

All understood Neil & of course it makes perfect sense - especially IF we go up and they come down next season. BUT he may take a more pragmatic view that any move that puts him on say £50k a week on a 3 or 4 year contract (call it 10 million quid in round figures over 4 yrs)  is worth it to set him & his family up quite nicely. 

It's not as if he's on peanuts here though is it?

I'm sure his current deal has him set up quite nicely.

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Just to make your head really spin Dave, I've heard the Kelly fee wasn't £13m as has being widely reported ?

Kylie had me spinning around yesterday....great performance.  Miley was pretty decent too....the Cure were very disappointing from my point of view....I know some that loved them.

Back to Kelly, higher or lower?  With or without add-ons/

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Kelly was £15m rising to £21m with add-ons. 

I think in terms of city transfer deals over the last 5 years. This one stands out as by far the best.

We've sold a player who, though he had plenty of potential wasn't first choice for a stupid lot of money.

2nd half of the season as well; he always reminded me a bit of Magnússon. In that you knew there would be an obligatory mistake at some point. Generally due to lack of concentration or being lazy.

With that money we've been able to recruit the transfers we have so far( fingers and toes crossed on Kalas).

Mind boggling, isn't it?

18 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Of course, but who could begrudge a bloke the opportunity to earn significantly more?

Dont begrudge him Reg.

I'm sure he will go at some stage pre-season. However will he wait to see what choice of club he can go it; or jump at the first offer?

I'm sure he'll be guided by his agent. For us though, it would be better if this was sorted early doors. Rather than a week before the start of the season.

49 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Mark Ashton, take a 'kin bow.

It is a great deal for us but the context is Aaron Wan-Bisaka's move which is where Kelly could be after just one decent season. Prices have leapt again this year.  Having a sell on is huge for that reason.

2 minutes ago, Nibor said:

It is a great deal for us but the context is Aaron Wan-Bisaka's move which is where Kelly could be after just one decent season. Prices have leapt again this year.  Having a sell on is huge for that reason.

Agreed and KitR says that we have one so happy days.

2 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids

Don't get too big for your boots at the mighty Walsall now either then or you will be at Alfreton next, greatest of respect to them of course.

5 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

He’ll always be a City player, Dave. 

Looking forward to Jonathan Pearce's commentary on England games in a few years time.

"Daniel Bentley of Bristol City makes the save, he rolls the ball out to Lloyd Kelly who spent his youth career at Bristol City.

Kelly makes a searching pass down the left, looking for the run of Jay DaSilva of Bristol City who has pushed forwards from left back.

DaSilva puts the cross in and finds Bristol City's Antoine Semenyo.... Who scores!"

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Looking forward to Jonathan Pearce's commentary on England games in a few years time.

"Daniel Bentley of Bristol City makes the save, he rolls the ball out to Lloyd Kelly who spent his youth career at Bristol City.

Kelly makes a searching pass down the left, looking for the run of Jay DaSilva of Bristol City who has pushed forwards from left back.

DaSilva puts the cross in and finds Bristol City's Antoine Semenyo.... Who scores!"

"Look at Bentley. He's run to the half way dug out to hug Rene Gilmartin who left Bristol City in the close season to be the England goalkeeper coach. 

You have to feel for Aston Villa's Callum O'Dowda. It was his missed tackle on Jay Da Silva that led to England's first goal against Ireland. It does beg the question that if he had stayed with Bristol City he'd still be playing Premier League football instead of languishing in League 1."

Archived