IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

I see City are apparently interested in Ake from Bournemouth. That could have a knock on effect on Webster. It could mean Bournemouth entering the ring looking for Webster or it could mean Bournemouth keeping Mings and making Villa want Webster a little more and the more u want the more you pay. As I have said many times, if I was BC I would cash in on Webster and buy a striker or loan a striker to get 25+ goals which should see u to promotion.

2 minutes ago, Begley said:

I see City are apparently interested in Ake from Bournemouth. That could have a knock on effect on Webster. It could mean Bournemouth entering the ring looking for Webster or it could mean Bournemouth keeping Mings and making Villa want Webster a little more and the more u want the more you pay. As I have said many times, if I was BC I would cash in on Webster and buy a striker or loan a striker to get 25+ goals which should see u to promotion.

I don't think we are !

remember where you're posting .

3 minutes ago, Begley said:

With greatest respect Ake is their first choice defender. Zero chance of him coming here. If you get Webster I’d definitely take Mings if we could get him on similar terms to King Kalas

43 minutes ago, Begley said:

It doesn't bother me in the slightest to admit Villa was in trouble and badly managed. It is a football club, I support them but I do not in any way feel responsibility with how AVFC is managed and nor do I have any issue recognising the truth as to how AVFC was and is managed. Yes we had cash flow issues which we could have avoided with more prudent fiscal management but we didn't. We approached Bristol City with a proposal to pay the money back early with more preferential financial terms. We needed help and found a solution to it which suited both Villa and Bristol City. Why the parochial attitude toward football. Its a game, its fun, we enjoy winning, we enjoy competing, we enjoy the transfer windows. 

And you enjoyed the winning this season. By bending the EFL financial rules?

Please don't answer as I won't bother looking at this thread again dimply because it's not very interesting to read your constant "holier than thou" comments.

10 minutes ago, Begley said:

I think Ake is a bit out of our reach.

I m losing the will to live with it again, not sure when they all fly off to the USA but we will have a clue if Webster on the plane !

Appreciate these transfers take time with lots of spinning plates all to line up and fall in place before the 'button' is pushed.  

I tend to agree with Begley posting earlier, selling him would enable us to get that striker that will make a huge difference. 

What will be will be.  At least we still hold the cards in this current saga.  so many ifs and buts !

2 minutes ago, Dunc said:

With greatest respect Ake is their first choice defender. Zero chance of him coming here. If you get Webster I’d definitely take Mings if we could get him on similar terms to King Kalas

Wonder what Bournemouth are asking for Mings?  Paid £8m for him, Ipswich will have a sell-on (could be raking it in if Webster goes) too.  Wonder what Man Utd would want for Tuanzebe, ditto Jack Stephens at Southampton.

The Loan Model to get them up has left them a bit threadbare squad-wise.

8 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

And you enjoyed the winning this season. By bending the EFL financial rules?

Please don't answer as I won't bother looking at this thread again dimply because it's not very interesting to read your constant "holier than thou" comments.

I love the fact that Villa were promoted. I follow the club and it is only natural to be happy to see your team get promoted. Top Tip: If you don't want to read my comments don't bother but you still read them and take the time to reply to me. ?? There will always be football fans that don't have the maturity to be able to debate and chat with rival fans. 

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Wonder what Bournemouth are asking for Mings?

I have read that Bournemouth are looking for anything between 15m and 30m for Mings.

Tuanzebe is an interesting one. He is apparently on 5k a week at Utd but has only 12 months left on his contract. Rumoured valued is about 8m, a bargain imo. The hard but is that to increase his value Utd need to give him a new contract. Villa is apparently offering him 40k+ and 5 years so if Utd have no intention of actually playing him in the 1st team then he could a bargain buy for someone, 

14 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

selling him would enable us to get that striker that will make a huge difference.

Would you take Dwight Gayle. Totally proven in the Championship and u would expect 25 goals. If you could sign him for a year then he would be perfect but at 29 and with only a year on his contract he will want 3 to 4 years. Would it be worth the risk? If u got promoted you could afford to swallow the wages costs for the latter years of his contract. If he was any younger the price range would be too much but at 29 he is affordable. I suspect whatever team he signs for he will be one of the top scorers in the Championship next season. 

42 minutes ago, Begley said:

But your not Bristol City are you?  He is our best player and we do not want to cash in, we want to see him progress and flourish with us, and maybe eventually step up to the Prem with a quality team in a season or two, if he hasn't already arrived there with us?  Why would he want to go to a side who will be playing back in the championship for season 2020=21.  Joe Bryan made that move, and now he's back with Fulham in our league.  We do not need to sell Webster to purchase a top striker thanks, we have sufficient funds already.  May I suggest you look at your own side rather than try to advise us what to do. Aston fans really do seem to have a superiority complex?

15 minutes ago, Begley said:

Would you take Dwight Gayle. Totally proven in the Championship and u would expect 25 goals. If you could sign him for a year then he would be perfect but at 29 and with only a year on his contract he will want 3 to 4 years. Would it be worth the risk? If u got promoted you could afford to swallow the wages costs for the latter years of his contract. If he was any younger the price range would be too much but at 29 he is affordable. I suspect whatever team he signs for he will be one of the top scorers in the Championship next season. 

Yep  Dwight Gayle turned down City few years back, and that still rankles with a few,  he does not fit the type of player we sign anymore, perhaps having no value , or limited value, in a few years, but I fully concur, barring injury you could guarantee 20 plus goals from him. But at what cost ?  I will add he was superb for the baggies against us at the gate last season,

3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

But your not Bristol City are you?  He is our best player and we do not want to cash in, we want to see him progress and flourish with us, and maybe eventually step up to the Prem with a quality team in a season or two. Why would he want to go to a side who will be playing back in the championship for season 2020=21.  Joe Bryan made that move, and now he's back with Fulham in our league.  We do not need to sell Webster to purchase a top striker thanks, we have sufficient funds already.  May I suggest you look at your own side rather than try to advise us what to do. Aston fans really do seem to have a superiority complex?

Spot on mate.

Villa’s future was 37 years ago. 

3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

But your not Bristol City are you?  He is our best player and we do not want to cash in, we want to see him progress and flourish with us, and maybe eventually step up to the Prem with a quality team in a season or two. Why would he want to go to a side who will be playing back in the championship for season 2020=21.  Joe Bryan made that move, and now he's back with Fulham in our league.  We do not need to sell Webster to purchase a top striker thanks, we have sufficient funds already.  May I suggest you look at your own side rather than try to advise us what to do. Aston fans really do seem to have a superiority complex?

Can't see how it is a superiority complex. I am a football fan like u and discussing football. I think Bristol City have a good team but are way too light up front and this is why you failed to get top 6 and promotion. You need about 75+ goals to go up and u got 59 last season. When you played us you should have been 2 up when we took the lead. That is not because we are in any way a better club it is because we were able to score goals. I don't believe that the Championship needs PL quality defenders to get promoted, it just needs a good defence. You have a PL quality defender and weak striker. If it was me I would cash in on the defender and buy some decent strikers.

We may differ in what we want from our club's but I don't want to develop players for a few years to see them move on to other quality clubs and make it big. I want my club to succeed and if that means cashing in on players to address the weak areas I would be supportive of that

24 minutes ago, Begley said:

Most definitely

10 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

but I fully concur, barring injury you could guarantee 20 plus goals from him. But at what cost ?

The cost is the problem, you kind of need a guarantee of promotion if u are to take the risk and that may be a risk too much. But I think u guys are very close to promotion, just a striker away from it imo and he could be the answer

3 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Most definitely

I expect Gayle to end up at Fulham and I expect he will get them top 2. Today's media is saying 12m. Say 25m for Webster, your scouting team could easily replace him for 5m / 6m. Kalas at 8m shows that. That would leave 19m for Gayle and to easily cover wages and have a bit left in the kitty. To me that would see Bristol City at least get top 6. Also, if u signed Gayle then you will be stopping another Championship team from doing so and that will help the cause too. I do see that at 29 it is a big risk. Look at Ross MacCormack but I think Gayle is a completely different personality and would not turn out like that disaster

3 minutes ago, Begley said:

I expect Gayle to end up at Fulham and I expect he will get them top 2. Today's media is saying 12m. Say 25m for Webster, your scouting team could easily replace him for 5m / 6m. Kalas at 8m shows that. That would leave 19m for Gayle and to easily cover wages and have a bit left in the kitty. To me that would see Bristol City at least get top 6. Also, if u signed Gayle then you will be stopping another Championship team from doing so and that will help the cause too. I do see that at 29 it is a big risk. Look at Ross MacCormack but I think Gayle is a completely different personality and would not turn out like that disaster

Are you Dwight Gayle's agent?

The person to speak to is Mark Ashton, not us.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Are you Dwight Gayle's agent?

No I am not. But I have watched him rip quite a few teams apart last season, including Villa and Bristol City and can see how good a striker he is for the Championship. Gayle's red card against Villa in the play off semi is a huge factor as to why Villa is now in the Premier League. 

Do you not think he is one of the best strikers in the Championship?

18 minutes ago, Begley said:

Can't see how it is a superiority complex. I am a football fan like u and discussing football. I think Bristol City have a good team but are way too light up front and this is why you failed to get top 6 and promotion. You need about 75+ goals to go up and u got 59 last season. When you played us you should have been 2 up when we took the lead. That is not because we are in any way a better club it is because we were able to score goals. I don't believe that the Championship needs PL quality defenders to get promoted, it just needs a good defence. You have a PL quality defender and weak striker. If it was me I would cash in on the defender and buy some decent strikers.

We may differ in what we want from our club's but I don't want to develop players for a few years to see them move on to other quality clubs and make it big. I want my club to succeed and if that means cashing in on players to address the weak areas I would be supportive of that

Thats all very well ......but you just contradicted yourself?    " I don't want to develop players for a few years, to see them move on"  and then say 'If that means cashing in on players i would support that"  Make up your mind?   We are well aware that we failed to achieve promotion due to lack of a striker. Why do you keep suggesting that we cash in on our defender in order to buy a striker?  We have sufficient funds to buy a quality striker, without selling Webster.......or loan one, like you did with Tammy [Who we had 2 seasons ago, yet another ex City player to go with Kodja and Adomah}  It would seem where City lead Aston follow?

15 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I don't want to develop players for a few years, to see them move on"  and then say 'If that means cashing in on players i would support that"  Make up your mind? 

How is that contradictory? My goal is not to see player do better at other clubs, it is to see my club do as best it can. To me that means every player has a price and I want the club to sell and buy to be able to put the best team out.

The claim to Tammy is funny, shows the motivation behind your post. Tammy is a Chelsea player and was at BC on loan, just like he was at Villa on loan. Are Baker and Weimann Villa players? Is Webster an Ipswich player? Kalas a Chelsea player? DaSilva a Chelsea player? Most players have played for other clubs in their careers. 

If there are sufficient funds for a 25+ goal striker then why do you not have a 25+ goal striker in the team?

Might just be me but I think a whole season playing upfront Weimann has the potential to be that 20 goal a season striker, or if not come damn close to it. What I feel we've lacked is goals from other areas, the difference between Flint and Webster was well highlighted and we scored less from set plays (I think) so had to try and make up those goals elsewhere, our wingers also probably don't score as many as most clubs. What's better to have one 20 goal a season striker and your next being 10/11 ish or two 15 goal a season strikers? As that's basically the situation we're in. You can't guarantee a 20 goal a season striker in this league, as soon as they hit that level they're too expensive for 90% of teams in this league to afford, we have however already recreated one of the best defences in this league from last season with the likes of Webster and Dasilva just going to get better. 

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

Weimann has the potential to be that 20 goal a season striker,

I felt that for quite a few years at Villa. Great footballer, really liked the guy but never seems to be able to show his potential, maybe you guys can get out of him what we couldn't. 

I agree strikers become crazy prices but I think that is just what u have to pay these days. Adams was a snip at 16m. I would absolutely break the bank for Maupay, would love him at Villa, I would prefer to give Bees 30m for Maupay than you guys 30m for Webster. Gayle is semi affordable, Apparently Villa paid Tammy's 75k a week wages (no wonder we sold Villa Park) but 75k a week is 'only' about 4m a year. Personally I think it is worth the risk spending this amount on a loan player but I can see why a club's board of a club may disagree. 

16 minutes ago, Begley said:

How is that contradictory? My goal is not to see player do better at other clubs, it is to see my club do as best it can. To me that means every player has a price and I want the club to sell and buy to be able to put the best team out.

The claim to Tammy is funny, shows the motivation behind your post. Tammy is a Chelsea player and was at BC on loan, just like he was at Villa on loan. Are Baker and Weimann Villa players? Is Webster an Ipswich player? Kalas a Chelsea player? DaSilva a Chelsea player? Most players have played for other clubs in their careers. 

If there are sufficient funds for a 25+ goal striker then why do you not have a 25+ goal striker in the team?

Sorry but you are off topic now.

You do realise that’s it’s past midnight and you are boring on, post after post on the Bristol City forum like a dog in the park that ruins a family ball game and then licks it’s ball and tramples your picnic. 

I understand that the other guys in the warehouse / maths gcse class / dungeons and dragons club do t talk to you so much but try starting a few threads on the Villa forum eh?

We are generally welcoming of other fans but not patronising twerps who don’t understand the dynamics and financial nuances of the EFL. 

So please - advise somebody else for a bit

2 minutes ago, Begley said:

I felt that for quite a few years at Villa. Great footballer, really liked the guy but never seems to be able to show his potential, maybe you guys can get out of him what we couldn't. 

I agree strikers become crazy prices but I think that is just what u have to pay these days. 

He had something like 5 legit goals given offside last season, that would have taken him over the 15 mark, at 2 mil it shows there is value out there to be found without breaking the bank. We've just added a good 50% on top of our record transfer to land Kalas, to sign an established 20 goal a season striker you're talking about basically doubling our now transfer record and I just don't see it happening, even if we sold Webster. We may look around the Kalas level for another but can't see us reaching the 8 digits.

4 minutes ago, fairweather said:

You do realise that’s it’s past midnight and you are boring on, post after post on the Bristol City forum like a dog in the park that ruins a family ball game and then licks it’s ball and tramples your picnic. 

I understand that the other guys in the warehouse / maths gcse class / dungeons and dragons club do t talk to you so much but try starting a few threads on the Villa forum eh?

We are generally welcoming of other fans but not patronising twerps who don’t understand the dynamics and financial nuances of the EFL

I find the personal insults from idiots that don't have the ability to debate amusing. A real sign of personal insecurity ?

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

it shows there is value out there to be found without breaking the bank

Wasn't Pukki a free transfer to Norwich, so yes you are 100% correct there is value, it is just so difficult and I think a club needs a little luck. I just think (although other obviously don't like me commenting on Bristol City) that you guys are so so close to a promotion side and are just lacking the striker. Maybe I am wrong but just my opinion from watching you last season. Top 6 should never have been Derby's and they had a little luck but also scored goals when it counted

5 minutes ago, Begley said:

Wasn't Pukki a free transfer to Norwich, so yes you are 100% correct there is value, it is just so difficult and I think a club needs a little luck. I just think (although other obviously don't like me commenting on Bristol City) that you guys are so so close to a promotion side and are just lacking the striker. Maybe I am wrong but just my opinion from watching you last season. Top 6 should never have been Derby's and they had a little luck but also scored goals when it counted

It’s not just about how much you spend. It’s got to be the right fit. 

Wilbs (20 goals +) = Free

Kodjia (19 goals) = 3 million

Tammy (20 +) = Loan 

Bobby (20+) = Converted from CM

5 minutes ago, James54De said:

Wilbs (20 goals +) = Free

Kodjia (19 goals) = 3 million

Tammy (20 +) = Loan 

Bobby (20+) = Converted from CM

You mean Kodjia 13m and 40k a week & Tammy 1m loan fee and 75k a week, oh **** that was us showing we can't identify value early on ?

27 minutes ago, Begley said:

You mean Kodjia 13m and 40k a week & Tammy 1m loan fee and 75k a week, oh **** that was us showing we can't identify value early on ?

Our Tammy loan made your Tammy loan more expensive....another reason for Chelsea to keep doing business with us ?

If Webster goes, we'll get that striker that you think we need. Not sure whether it will be a loan or permanent.

We've been financially cautious these last few seasons (probably worth looking that word up for the benefit of Villa's current owners) but Lee Johnson's description of 'bold' player changes at the back end of last season coupled with a club record signing (of a centre back) make me think he's earned the owner's confidence for a major push next season. And the only positions that haven't received full attention this summer has been our forward line. And we know that was our downfall in 18/19.

I doubt the striker will be Dwight Gayle although I agree that he is exactly what we need. An identical player for one or two seasons would be perfect - just not one that we have dicked around with in the past.

Anyway thanks for your views. I personally welcome other fans' opinions of Bristol City. Don't get too cocky if people have a pop at you!

Archived