IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Could look at Europe too- there's value to be had there for sure. Our record there is mixed and brings me back to a point I've made before which is that for all the progress on the business and transfer side, we can still improve. Which is a good thing IMO, my point I guess is a clear European background scout added to the scouting dept- this would give a greater chance of a) Success and b) Value being found in the European market.

Probably some real great ones abroad. Bit riskier though. The proven ones in this country have the least risk. Would be amazed if someone like Tomori was anything but a success. 

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Probably some real great ones abroad. Bit riskier though. The proven ones in this country have the least risk. Would be amazed if someone like Tomori was anything but a success. 

Agreed,

Could look to sign 2 for Webster, contingent on shifting Baker. Something like Tomori loan/ buy Ajayi and for depth Hector. There was a rumour the latter was available on a free but he may not cost the earth in any case.

12 hours ago, Begley said:

How is that contradictory? My goal is not to see player do better at other clubs, it is to see my club do as best it can. To me that means every player has a price and I want the club to sell and buy to be able to put the best team out.

The claim to Tammy is funny, shows the motivation behind your post. Tammy is a Chelsea player and was at BC on loan, just like he was at Villa on loan. Are Baker and Weimann Villa players? Is Webster an Ipswich player? Kalas a Chelsea player? DaSilva a Chelsea player? Most players have played for other clubs in their careers. 

If there are sufficient funds for a 25+ goal striker then why do you not have a 25+ goal striker in the team?

Sorry but this reply indicates that your ego is incapable of reading and digesting information.  You have completely missed my point and continue to waffle definsively.  You are just not worth the effort ??

13 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Presumably you’re called to the bar?

ah very sharp!

I was quite pissed and tripped on my gown that night.

im also embarrassed at trolling the Villa lad and rising to the bait but he was turning the forum into the “an audience with Begley” show. 

For what it’s worth I think we can replace Webster at that fee with the time remaining if necessary. Further it shows how bold a signing it was to take a guy with appearance issues from a team like Ipswich and put him in a first team that was targeting for playoffs. Real faith in our system. For him to be valued at the levels talked about is amazing. Not necessarily unwarranted but such an incredible increase in value in a short space of time that I’m tempted to stop worrying and “just lie back and think of Bristol”.

But you have probably said that before.....

23 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

please be true 

37B351F0-E027-474E-A450-C21B704E6C39.png

Fantastic news if true, and credit to Ashton et al for standing firm in the face of outrageous temptation. We know Webster is prem quality, now let's make some equivalent signings in midfield and attack.

43 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Who are Acura Sports news?

I thought Acura was a part of Honda.

500 odd followers, and latest posts include Adebayor to Sheff Utd or Newcastle, and Welbeck to Leeds. Pomagne back on ice

For what it's worth, I don't think @Begley has been particularly unreasonable by the standards of other 'incomers' on here. Just because you disagree with him, doesn't mean he's being a dick. Still hate Villa though.

If Webster says he wants to go and we can get £25 million for him, it seems to me we'd be stupid to turn it down. Assuming Villa have actually made a bid (and there seems to be enough smoke), it's entirely possible that he's said to LJ and MA "I don't want to go". I'm not going to argue that Villa are not a bigger club than us or that they can't offer Premier League football, but if Webster has really bought into what LJ is trying to do, he's probably going to look at the fact that with the best will in the world, he probably feels there's a strong possibility that Villa struggle all season and get passed by us next May. That's not a slight on Villa; it's a tough league. But I'm not convinced that Villa have the tools or are likely to acquire the tools, to stay up. AW may just be waiting to see how the market develops and Villa may come back into play, but I can totally see there's likely to be minimal interest from him at this stage

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

For what it's worth, I don't think @Begley has been particularly unreasonable by the standards of other 'incomers' on here. Just because you disagree with him, doesn't mean he's being a dick. Still hate Villa though.

If Webster says he wants to go and we can get £25 million for him, it seems to me we'd be stupid to turn it down. Assuming Villa have actually made a bid (and there seems to be enough smoke), it's entirely possible that he's said to LJ and MA "I don't want to go". I'm not going to argue that Villa are not a bigger club than us or that they can't offer Premier League football, but if Webster has really bought into what LJ is trying to do, he's probably going to look at the fact that with the best will in the world, he probably feels there's a strong possibility that Villa struggle all season and get passed by us next May. That's not a slight on Villa; it's a tough league. But I'm not convinced that Villa have the tools or are likely to acquire the tools, to stay up. AW may just be waiting to see how the market develops and Villa may come back into play, but I can totally see there's likely to be minimal interest from him at this stage

I agree with you.  I think the people whinging about the Villa fan cast us in a bad light, he's been reasonable.  If we were to get a bid that was going to look ridiculous to refuse and the player was keen we would have to do it, but £20m when you might only see half of that as a profit is not going to cut it these days so I'm pleased we have held firm so far.  I don't think Villa will go any further unless they fail to land other targets and it gets towards August, and I think the price will put Southampton off most likely as they can probably shop in europe to better value.

I'm encouraged that there has been no hint of Adam Webster or his agent agitating for a move, which can and does happen when there's this sort of speculation.  Maybe he's just a reasonable guy who thinks it isn't right to be looking for a move one year into a four year deal, maybe he likes it here and wants to try and win promotion, maybe he's confident enough to know that another similar season will see him attract interest from a side in the top half of the Prem.  Maybe a little of each, who knows?  Not every footballer is motivated solely by immediate money.

5 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

And how do you think we would last in the Prem. Sorry, but he will be gone in an instant, he will want to prove himself in the top league and if Villa go down and he has shown his ability he will remain in the Prem. If Villa cannot acquire the tools to stay up then we certainly have not  got them. He has 6 or 7 top seasons to go, if he can get in the Prem with a huge club like Villa he is off. I appreciate the romantic notion he would want to  stay at City, but it is far removed from reality. If he is stalling on Villa it is only because there is other interest, and maybe from a club closer to his home town. 

I don't mean that he wouldn't go to Villa, I just don't think he'd be pushing for that move yet. It's still early in the window and it's not unfeasible that an established, mid table team comes in for him. I agree that if it gets to the end of the window he could be much more keen

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

I don't mean that he wouldn't go to Villa, I just don't think he'd be pushing for that move yet. It's still early in the window and it's not unfeasible that an established, mid table team comes in for him. I agree that if it gets to the end of the window he could be much more keen

If he was pushing you can be sure his agent would have it all over the media.

3 hours ago, Sturny said:

Reckon this could spark a new contract for Webster this season? Add in a £25m minimum release fee while we're at it 

If we end up keeping Webster it’s a dead cert he will sign an improved deal (and fully deserved as well), I can see a similar situ to when Flint was going to leave, I’m pretty sure they gave him an improved deal with a promise that if we don’t get promoted we will let him go the next summer which is what happened, I would be happy with that again

I think that there are a couple of other things to contemplate.

Adam Webster is still improving and Aston Villa are hoping to get him now 'on the cheap', whereas another great season with us could see his value increase and much bigger fish come looking next season.

The other, more depressing scenario would see the player pushing for a move now ... and then we have to negotiate the best deal for Bristol City today. It surely, still has to be 20+ million minimum (including player achievement targets) in that instance?

3 minutes ago, LocoPal said:

Adam Webster is still improving and Aston Villa are hoping to get him now 'on the cheap', whereas another great season with us could see his value increase and much bigger fish come looking next season.

The other, more depressing senario would see the player pushing for a move now ... and then we have to negotiate the best deal for Bristol City today. It surely, still has to be 20+ million minimum (including player achievement targets) in that instance?

Seems to have gone very quiet.  Have all the other supposedly interested club gone off the idea because Villa are no longer interested? 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Seems to have gone very quiet.  Have all the other supposedly interested club gone off the idea because Villa are no longer interested? 

I hope that this is the case, as he will be integral to the squad if we are to have a successful season.

AV have enough of our old players already. No deal!

On 05/07/2019 at 20:23, LocoPal said:

The other, more depressing scenario would see the player pushing for a move now ... and then we have to negotiate the best deal for Bristol City today. It surely, still has to be 20+ million minimum (including player achievement targets) in that instance?

I dont really see any much bigger clubs coming in,, aside from the top 6, theres not a massive amount between the rest, and i dont see the top 6 launching a bid for any championship defender, whether its webster or not

Archived