IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

19 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Disappointing if he doesn't go for £20-25m. Frankly that's obscene money and as brilliant as Webster is he's not worth that.

On the plus side, Webster is brilliant and we get to keep him! I kinda view this as a win win.

Was listening to Talksport the other day, discussing  Zaha's transfer and whether he is worth the £80m or so that Palace is asking.

One of the presenters made the point that selling Zaha could well lead to relegation. If so the cost of relegation would be in the region of £100m, so Palace will be looking to cover as much of that cost as possible and his value reflects more his value to Palace, if he leaves, rather than his value to the buying club.

I think there is a similar factor at play with Webster. His partnership with Kalas could well be the difference between promotion and just falling short ( I know that many will argue a striker is the difference) and as we don't have to or want to see him leave, if he were to go then we would want to maximise his value in case it has to compensate for not gaining promotion.

58 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

If he was anywhere near a move out then no way he would have been allowed to play yesterday. 

And he probably wouldn't have been so committed in his challenges either.

I agree, the fact he played yesterday is an indication that he may not be on the move.

5 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Disappointing if he doesn't go for £20-25m. Frankly that's obscene money and as brilliant as Webster is he's not worth that.

On the plus side, Webster is brilliant and we get to keep him! I kinda view this as a win win.

He is worth that. Look at other transfer fees. Those make him worth it. 

Do fans have an inferiority complex when it comes to our club and players?

7 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

Villa won't spend another 20-25 mil on a centre back. 

They have wanted Webster for a while and were always going to sign Mings so wouldn’t be so sure 

Ipswich are going to be getting some serious cash if both these deals go through for £20m apiece (assuming they have 20% sell-ons). Around £2.4m on Mings (they sold him for £8m to Bournemouth) and around £3 - £3.5m+ on AW. There might even be some much-needed cash heading Chippenham`s way too if they have anything due for Mings.

29 minutes ago, RedDave said:

He is worth that. Look at other transfer fees. Those make him worth it. 

Do fans have an inferiority complex when it comes to our club and players?

They have wanted Webster for a while and were always going to sign Mings so wouldn’t be so sure 

Partly that and partly because they think there is some objective measure of a player's value.

A player is not 'worth' what any particular fan thinks he is, the market and the strength of a club's negotiating position will determine the price.

We are in a strong position. Add in Mark Ashton's record and Villa's tendency to splash the cash and it looks even stronger.

3 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Credit to ashton?? ???

Who do you think does the negotiating? Who got more for the likes of Bryan and Reid than many, if not most, fans were predicting?

Or do you think he should have caved in at £12m, as Villa fans did?

2 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Agree. They cannot afford to spend another 20 mill on Webster. Think he'll stay now as I can only see Brighton meeting our valuation if Dunk goes and I can't see Webster going there.

Recent history suggests Villa are not bothered about affordability.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did a Fulham and spent £100m in one window.

I will get laughed off for this but hear me out. Why do premier league clubs have a queue like system? Maguire from champ to prem with Hull the Hull to Leicester then to Man U/City maybe. Why not Hull to Man U? Worked out for Liverpool and Robertson. Why wouldn’t Man U be interested in Webster for 20m? Surely better value than 90m for Maguire? Better than Dunk and Tarkowski for 40m? Ok maybe the Maguire one you understand as now well established in England squad but the others?

Sure a massive step up but I am sure none of us would be surprised if Webster settled quickly into the prem to be a good ball playing defender.  I’d even argue it be less of a gamble for a better side like Leicester or Everton as they can dominate most teams in the league for spells. Just a discussion piece anyway on why transfers tend to move this way. 

I might be alone here but I actually don't think he's quite ready for the Premier league. 

I love his confidence on the ball but he runs in to trouble sometimes too. The margin for error is so small up there.

45 minutes ago, mozo said:

I might be alone here but I actually don't think he's quite ready for the Premier league. 

I love his confidence on the ball but he runs in to trouble sometimes too. The margin for error is so small up there.

I think that’s a “not enough options” issue.  The movement around him is almost as if he’s Pele in Escape to Victory and gonna do it all himself.

Archived