IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

7 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

I don't think the Mings deal means their interest in Webster has ended.

I expect them to come in again towards the end of the window. Hope we hold firm.

Maybe not but it perhaps stops them regarding buying AW as urgent and they`ll have a bit more of a look round for cheaper options first.

Hope so anyway!

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

They are after Cahill too.

Cahill-Mings-Chester-Hause.

4 CB's- spending £20-30m on Webster doesn't sound- hopefully- so likely or feasible IMO.

Late to this thread but read online Brighton maybe keen- Maguire to Man Utd, Dunk to Leicester, Webster to Brighton- one potential move falls, another possible set of dominos arises?

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think that’s a “not enough options” issue.  The movement around him is almost as if he’s Pele in Escape to Victory and gonna do it all himself.

I was just about to watch Escape to Victory thanks for spoiling it for me, :laugh:. 

40 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

I expect them to come in again towards the end of the window. Hope we hold firm.

I agree @TammyAB.

You can see them thinking we've just got Mings for around 20m. Why wouldnwe want to pay more for Webster, who will be unproven at that level.

I don't think that will be the end if the interest in Webster though. He will be on the radar of a number of PL clubs, and once the Maguire saga is done; the merry go round of Cbs in the PL may catch up with us.

2 hours ago, TammyAB said:

What the Mings deal does is show the price for bang average CBs that Villa will pay.

I don’t see any other prem club having wanted Mings so Bournemouth had Villa over a barrel. Any other club, no chance in hell of £20m.

So, if they’ll pay £20m for a CB who is unproven at that level and nobody else wanted, to me, the Webster price (still unproven, but wanted by multiple clubs), just went up

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

They are after Cahill too.

He would be a decent signing - John Terry’s presence could prove instrumental in this move happening. I also think Jagielka to the Blades is an interesting one. Yep he’s getting on a bit but his very extensive premier league experience could prove very helpful to Sheff Utd’s bid to finish 17th next season ...

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

What the Mings deal does is show the price for bang average CBs that Villa will pay.

I don’t see any other prem club having wanted Mings so Bournemouth had Villa over a barrel. Any other club, no chance in hell of £20m.

So, if they’ll pay £20m for a CB who is unproven at that level and nobody else wanted, to me, the Webster price (still unproven, but wanted by multiple clubs), just went up

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He would be a decent signing - John Terry’s presence could prove instrumental in this move happening. I also think Jagielka to the Blades is an interesting one. Yep he’s getting on a bit but his very extensive premier league experience could prove very helpful to Sheff Utd’s bid to finish 17th next season ...

I’d disagree with both of these. 

Think Mings was bought as a LB and had some injuries at the start of his AFCB career. Then they bought Ake who is better. Mings just starting his career at CB and that could be great value. We will see though! 

Then Cahill who I didn’t rate at Chelsea. Always felt like he had mistakes in him. A premier league Keogh would be how I feel about him. Villa will presumably take more of a battering than Chelsea so imo not the greatest fit. Though can’t argue the experience factor. 

Funny how football can divide opinions though. 

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I honestly don't understand why a team like that would buy a 33 year old Cahill or a 36 year-old Jags on huge wages when they could invest in Webster and actually stand to make a profit in the long term. It's this short term thinking that leads to mid term failure.

When Jagielka's aging body gets injured half way through the season they'll wonder why they bothered

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

I honestly don't understand why a team like that would buy a 33 year old Cahill or a 36 year-old Jags on huge wages when they could invest in Webster and actually stand to make a profit in the long term. It's this short term thinking that leads to mid term failure.

When Jagielka's aging body gets injured half way through the season they'll wonder why they bothered

I get Jagielka - it’s where he started his career and to be fair I think his experience will be a massive asset assuming he’s not on stupid wages. You can see him taking a big pay drop to finish his career at his old club. 

9 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Exactly what I thought, although I've just seen Sky reporting it as £25m! Not sure on Mings age, but certainly makes the Webster price tag more achievable. COYR 

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

be intersting to see if he is on the plane to America. 

He will be on the plane and in Florida. 99% sure of that. Only way he isn’t is if a club puts a 20m starting bid on the table before they fly out. Think we can relax a little. If/when Maguire is sold we will see how rated Webster is among premier league scouts imo. 

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Read somewhere that Aston Villa still haven't moved on from him yet- despite the Mings and possible Cahill deal.

Dean Smith I think knows a player when he sees one. He could easily be looking at Konsa for 15m or so but seems to still be trying for AW. That in itself is reason to keep the price high. 

Money wise promoted clubs can almost spend what they want. Some kind of loophole in the rules because they weren’t in the PL last season so they aren’t constrained in the same way other teams are where they can only raise their playing staff budget by a certain %. Heard that may be different this year though. 

Anyway, my point, I don’t think Villa are done spending. Whereas most club will come up and be a bit frugal because they will be favourites for relegation, Villa will do their best to stay up at any cost. Can see them spending another 60m plus they will bring in 2 high class loans I am sure. I guess we will find out but think this Webster thing will be there until he leaves or the window closes. 

34 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Dean Smith I think knows a player when he sees one. He could easily be looking at Konsa for 15m or so but seems to still be trying for AW. That in itself is reason to keep the price high. 

Money wise promoted clubs can almost spend what they want. Some kind of loophole in the rules because they weren’t in the PL last season so they aren’t constrained in the same way other teams are where they can only raise their playing staff budget by a certain %. Heard that may be different this year though

Anyway, my point, I don’t think Villa are done spending. Whereas most club will come up and be a bit frugal because they will be favourites for relegation, Villa will do their best to stay up at any cost. Can see them spending another 60m plus they will bring in 2 high class loans I am sure. I guess we will find out but think this Webster thing will be there until he leaves or the window closes. 

STCC you might be thinking of? That's been scrapped I think but you are right, effectively Championship wages are so much lower than PL that they can effectively raise it as they like, or could while that rule was in force in that way- maybe different with Aston Villa though, 2017/18 accounts showed a wage budget of around £70m! :o Plenty of departees may have helped bring it back into balance. Agree that not done with spending, Villa Park sale and leaseback *cough* -"cheats"- *cough*- also helps with that- if they come down though firesale surely?

35 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Money wise promoted clubs can almost spend what they want. Some kind of loophole in the rules because they weren’t in the PL last season so they aren’t constrained in the same way other teams are where they can only raise their playing staff budget by a certain %. Heard that may be different this year though. 

Sky were quoting this morning that afternoon signing Mings in a deal for up to £25m, their remaining budget is earmarked for a keeper but they aren’t willing to meet Stoke’s valuation of £25m or so on Butland so that would suggest they have moved on from AW.

A few days ago several of my sources were convinced that Webster is going nowhere. They are excellent sources, and yes could be wrong yet but unless things dramatically change Webster has no desire to leave. 

5 hours ago, mozo said:

I actually think we wrongly right off players as past it when they hit 30 in this country. Especially defenders. 

A big part of defending is reading the game and think that comes with experience and age. Chielllini is 34 and I would have him down as one of the best defenders in the world currently.

4 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

I actually think we wrongly right off players as past it when they hit 30 in this country. Especially defenders. 

A big part of defending is reading the game and think that comes with experience and age. Chielllini is 34 and I would have him down as one of the best defenders in the world currently.

Goalies especially but also CBs, holding mids and certain other types of CM can certainly prosper past 30, agreed.

Archived