IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

23 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

They're signing another defender from Belgium. Definitely won't be going for Webster now . They're doing a Fulham this season! 

Not according to this guy. Reads like a fan whitewashing them. Note there is no reference to selling their ground.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2019/jul/11/aston-villa-mistakes-fulham-summer-transfer-window-signings

Just because they're spending close to 100m doesn't mean they're going to do a Fulham and go down ? There's much more to it than that.

Glad that it's looking like we're keeping Webster though, if we can get a quality striker and another CM then we could be right up there this season!

15 hours ago, 29AR said:

The sell on is a percentage of what the club you sold to receives in totality. If Ipswich sold their sell on, then Pompey would get a % of that and the chain to Pompey and Ipswich would be broken  

This @Davefevs. The player also needs to be continually sold at a profit for the chain to continue. If the player is sold for a loss the chain would stop and no future sell-on would be received. 

1 hour ago, CityLew said:

Just because they're spending close to 100m doesn't mean they're going to do a Fulham and go down ? There's much more to it than that.

Glad that it's looking like we're keeping Webster though, if we can get a quality striker and another CM then we could be right up there this season!

Me personally I hope they get relegated I will laugh my knackers off 

Let's hope it's Fulham Mk. 2 eh! I think a key problem for Fulham was too many players too soon, a lot of the individuals actually had a reasonable background, technical ability etc- but yes the churn a big problem and none more so when promoted- so let's hope this big push heralds a big collapse and problems in 2020/21- points deduction for their ground sale not falling within PL regs next Spring, wouldn't go amiss either!

More importantly, if they sign this CB too then Webster is surely off the table, as far as Aston Villa concerned at least. This Belgiam CB will take it to 5, which they may well want due to Chester injuries- so far it's Chester-Mings-Hause-Konsa.

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I hate Villa as much as the next guy but they had quite a thin squad especially defensively. Fulham bought good players to replace who got them there. 

I know we moan a bit about our squad being the same as last season because we’ve replaced outgoing loans with incoming permies, but I do think Villa are treading a dangerous game.  They are supplementing their squad with some top end Champ / foreign players on the cheap....they are building a squad, and spending £80-100m doing it, because they had several loans last year, and also players with contracts expiring too.

Mings for Mings

Hause for Hause

Do we even know whether those two are good enough to keep Villa out of relegation trouble.

Wesley for Abraham

Is Wesley good enough to replace Tammy who you might argue is suspect pedigree at Prem level.

I don’t look at Villa’s loan model and compare it to Wolves loan model.  They haven’t got a Nevez, they won’t be able to recruit a Raul or a Moutinho.  I think Villa are storing up problems.

Targett is a sensible signing, I’ll give them that.

If they get relegated they will come back down with a heap of problems because they’ve gone up under financial difficulty. 

I’m not saying we are perfect, but we could get promo’d with our current squad - where all players are ours - and not spend much trying to stay up, and come down with £100m + 2 years parachute payments, but no FFP issues....ready to “go again”.  We have taken 2 seasons positioning ourselves to be financially ready.  Our squad isn’t quite ready unless we get the wind behind us, clutch in, but who knows.

It would be sweet to pass Villa on our way up.

27 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Dean S has signed a lot of players he knows well, that is very different to Fulham.

Agreed.

They had to sign a number as they released a big group, big earners too. I don't doubt they will struggle, but at least they have signed players with some desire to prove themselves, not journeymen Prem players who won't care when it gets tough.

Yes, I guess the point is despite these incomings are they any stronger than they were last season and if yes, is that sufficiently stronger to compete.  

They certainly cannot afford a quick return to the Champ though,

Which is a strong chance

and they are not going to do a Wolves. 

I certainly doubt it!!

Our season will depend on the next 2 signings (at least in terms of improving on last year) but we should be a good top 10 side again, flirting for most of the season with a play off place. That is still good solid stuff for us as a selling club. We not got our annual injection of Chelsea second string yet either. 

Yes, one maybe two players could provide significant uplift.  If this is a loan or two, so be it.  As much as I fancy the idea of Neketia (parallels with Cole), I would like us to follow the Dasilva model of agreeing a fee too...as it protects us just being a development team.

I was watching the video of the players yesterday and for a split second or so I thought there was a new guy in the pool...that looked like Shane Long.  On rewind and freeze frame it was Pato.  But it made me think that if you could get someone (or two) of that quality (not necessarily Long himself) for the right wage contribution and fee agreed, that could give us a serious chance.

On an aside wonder what the buy back clause is for Man City’s Luiz?

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

True, but then they've never sold a player for £45m either.

Someone like Lascelles or Ben Mee would make more sense then, given they were in a relegation fight last season. Buying their 2nd EFL CB would be very very risky, when having the Dunk money to spend. 

15 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

I honestly can't see Brighton spending the 25 million quid that we'd want, to sign him. 

Their previous record buy is 17 million right?

Potter should go for Van der Horn.....pleeeaaaaassssssseee

55 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Someone like Lascelles or Ben Mee would make more sense then, given they were in a relegation fight last season. Buying their 2nd EFL CB would be very very risky, when having the Dunk money to spend. 

Wasnt the lad they signed their Dunk replacement anyway?

14 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

football has gone made 80m for harry and 45 m for Dunk. only average at best these two. 

You pay a premium for English players though due to quota restrictions, agree that if they were any other nationality their true value would be 50% of these figures at most

2 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

You pay a premium for English players though due to quota restrictions, agree that if they were any other nationality their true value would be 50% of these figures at most

And I suspect clubs are looking at what may happen in the event of a no deal Brexit and targeting home players.

11 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Can see Brighton offering >£20m if they get the rumoured £45m for Dunk....

Hopefully, we can still say “no” but at some stage, AW may decide that he wants to give the Prem a go and “push” for a move?!

Isnt the price £30m?

I would think he would be gone if we got an offer at that level.

2 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Isnt the price £30m?

I would think he would be gone if we got an offer at that level.

The £30m price tag imposed by SL was to put perspective buyers off but if a club comes up with that amount then it’ll be goodbye Webdini........

Brighton signed a CB recently didn’t they so can’t see why they want another even if Dunk goes 

I have a feeling that Everton & Southampton are the ones likely to make a move and stump up £25 - £30m for Webster to test our resolve

21 hours ago, INCRED said:

Brighton signed a CB recently didn’t they so can’t see why they want another even if Dunk goes 

I have a feeling that Everton & Southampton are the ones likely to make a move and stump up £25 - £30m for Webster to test our resolve

And perhaps spending their Dunk money in other positions?

Archived