IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

We should bite hands off at that price or even perhaps less. Only inside the club will they know Webby’s state of mind but if he doesn’t want to be here then he’ll be a liability on and and off the pitch. Sounds like LJ may well have lost his rag with him too judging by these comments so a boss and star player at loggerheads has to be sorted decisively . 

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Blimey, the ITKs are out in force!

It’s now £25m to both Brighton and Villa apparently - they’ve all ‘heard’ this .... from whom? Please tell us because you can’t all be correct ...

So we could sell him to both and make £50m! Villa have signed so many players they probably wouldn't notice he wasn't actually there.

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

You can't. We can't resist this money and we can't put a price on a players head and then refuse to sell them when it is met. Webster may or may not be disgruntled right now, but if we turned that kind of money down to stand in his way, then he would rightly be pissed off. 

I understand. I also quite vocal on the damage agents do in all this too, so my comment was hypocritical in hindsight. I just think this could damage our season considerably if this is true and we sell so close to the start.

2 minutes ago, thatchersgold said:

I would like to think if it is true. The club would say absolutely nothing until a replacement has been signed.  Otherwise the prices will hike right up 

Would be amazed if we spent anything on a direct replacement. We have Wright, Moore and Baker there already and although all have their faults, i’d expect to see the money spent elsewhere on the pitch. 

1 minute ago, Baldyman said:

We should bite hands off at that price or even perhaps less. Only inside the club will they know Webby’s state of mind but if he doesn’t want to be here then he’ll be a liability on and and off the pitch. Sounds like LJ may well have lost his rag with him too judging by these comments so a boss and star player at loggerheads has to be sorted decisively . 

In fairness to the player, i suspect it's not so much that he doesn't want to be here, but can you imagine how it must feel for a young player to be aware that he has a chance of a move to the premier league?

No matter how professional he might be, it is bound to affect him.

Anyway, after last Saturday's performance a £25m fee would enable us to bring in a decent player  to strengthen the defence. :)  

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Too right, Kalas, Baker, Wright, Moore, Vyner more than adequate.

£25m on a dominant CM and star striker inc wages and we are on our way.

Just my opinion but I don't believe Wright, vyner or Moore are anything other the cover.  We will defo need a good cb replacement 

1 minute ago, Loco Rojo said:

I understand. I also quite vocal on the damage agents do in all this too, so my comment was hypocritical in hindsight. I just think this could damage our season considerably if this is true and we sell so close to the start.

Fair enough but an awful lot of transfers happen late in the window. You just have to have contingency plans.

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

A £25m bid and deprive the player of a chance in the prem?

We'd be mad to turn it down and given there has been strong interest in Webster throughout the summer I would be surprised if the club have not got things in place to replace him.

I hope we do have a plan b if he does go. But given our difficulty in bringing in a striker/proven goal scorer we've needed for so long, I'm not filled with confidence that a defender is out there ready to sign if Webster leaves and City pick up the phone. Hope I'm wrong though.

5 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Would be amazed if we spent anything on a direct replacement. We have Wright, Moore and Baker there already and although all have their faults, i’d expect to see the money spent elsewhere on the pitch. 

And Vyner.

If all this is true, we need central midfield and a striker more than another centre back.

Just now, Loco Rojo said:

I hope we do have a plan b if he does go. But given our difficulty in bringing in a striker/proven goal scorer we've needed for so long, I'm not filled with confidence that a defender is out there ready to sign if Webster leaves and City pick up the phone. Hope I'm wrong though.

It might be that until selling  Webster we've not quite had the budget to get the type of striker we really want and we've not wanted to compromise on buying a cheaper option.

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

It might be that until selling  Webster we've not quite had the budget to get the type of striker we really want and we've not wanted to compromise on buying a cheaper option.

Yeah true. Appreciate we have to balance the books and all that, but it would mean we'd have to spend some of that on a new defender too (assuming the amount of cash up front can go back in to transfers). No disrespect to Wright or Baker but I just dont see them as regular first team players or the answers.

13 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

What comments?

1 minute ago, Loco Rojo said:

Yeah true. Appreciate we have to balance the books and all that, but it would mean we'd have to spend some of that on a new defender too (assuming the amount of cash up front can go back in to transfers). No disrespect to Wright or Baker but I just dont see them as regular first team players or the answers.

Very much agree. We will go from 5th best defence to a lot worse.  The great signings we have made will mean little if we don't replace Webster. I fancy they have found the next Webster I really hope so anyway. 

I thought on Saturday that Moore had probably been brought on as sub to get him up towards the speed of a Championship match / see if he was ready, in case Webster goes this week and he is needed to be considered to take his place.

1 minute ago, thatchersgold said:

Very much agree. We will go from 5th best defence to a lot worse.  The great signings we have made will mean little if we don't replace Webster. I fancy they have found the next Webster I really hope so anyway. 

I have mixed feelings. We can't keep blocking the pathway for young players but on the other hand if we had someone like Hector lined up ...

Though I find the mixed rumours about Webster unconvincing.

7 minutes ago, Barkhamred said:

I thought on Saturday that Moore had probably been brought on as sub to get him up towards the speed of a Championship match / see if he was ready, in case Webster goes this week and he is needed to be considered to take his place.

If all this is true, it could be why LJ played Moore as sub against Palace and Vyner got 90 minutes at Yeovil, (assuming he did as no report anywhere about this match)

Where was Baker on Saturday? Bench v Palace or at Yeovil?

6 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I've no idea if any of this is true but if it is I hope its Brighton we sell to and not Vile. The crowing that will come from the Vile supporters that they got their man would be too much to stand. 

Don’t see Villa signing another CB, given their investment in this position already this summer.....Brighton/Leicester are distinct possibilities though I would think!

Lets be honest....the rumoured £25m would be outstanding business for City as long as they replace him with someone like Hector or Tomori and then spend big on a No.9 which Mark Ashton has eluded to us needing on Radio Bristol this evening 

Archived