IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

2 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

No, it was always a stupid idea and only beneficial to those at the top of the chain. It just creates a mad panic in England but no where else. What's the point? Just let the window play out

I'm all for staggering it so that League 1 & 2 clubs have another 1, possibly 2 months on the prem clubs - especially if loans can be agreed.

Championship not so sure, but I definitely don't like it closing before the Prem season

10 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Every football club is a selling club bar a few . I really think people are sometimes clueless when it comes to Bristol City’s transfers and finances . 

I assure you...and you will have to take my word for it,  I am not clueless. I am well aware of City's Transfers and Finances.  I am am also aware of patronising gits who think they know best,  I understand football is a business, but I am getting fed up with supporting a feeder club for the Premiership.  I want to watch some quality footballers, not wave them off out of the car park in their new Baby Bentley's.

Just now, maxjak said:

I assure you...and you will have to take my word for it,  I am not clueless. I am well aware of City's Transfers and Finances.  I am am also aware of patronising gits who think they know best,  I understand football is a business, but I am getting fed up with supporting a feeder club for the Premiership.  I want to watch some quality footballers, not wave them off out of the car park in their new Baby Bentley.

Better go and watch someone else then. 

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

I assure you...and you will have to take my word for it,  I am not clueless. I am well aware of City's Transfers and Finances.  I am am also aware of patronising gits who think they know best,  I understand football is a business, but I am getting fed up with supporting a feeder club for the Premiership.  I want to watch some quality footballers, not wave them off out of the car park in their new Baby Bentley's.

There is always a bigger fish.

3 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Playing Wright on the LHS alongside Kalas would concern me a lot. Wright was played on the left when he first joined us and looked extremely fragile because he really hasn’t a good left foot. We’ve been spoiled by Webster’s two-footedness. To replace him we’ll either need a left-footer imo or another two-footer (if another exists within our price range). 

Sure it is a concern but it is worst case scenario. We have seen him and Flint and him and Baker be part of a 60 point team a couple years ago. Think most would consider Kalas(who could probably play on the left well enough) better than Flint and Baker. So you’d assume Kalas and Wright could make that happen as well. Though thinking about it Wright played RB most that season but was a major part of us staying up the year before with Flint. 

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

£20m + £5m add ons, Matt Clarke loaned to us as part, Kasey Palmer joining permanent for £3m, Moore in for £3m and want another 'pacey' striker in on loan

This would be a dream scenario. I think we need Kasey Palmer more than a goal scorer tbh. I know I am in the minority but Palmer was usually involved in a couple goals once he got on the pitch. Him and pacy striker plus Moore would put us in the auto promotion. Though I would maybe try and go foreign again instead of Moore and see what 6-7m could buy me. 

3 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Wright and Baker are both really decent center halves and lets not forger Baker is a 4 million sicknote ?  Being pushed by TM and ZV ?  Cannot stand in way of prem sides just get rid as soon as 

Are they ?

Top 6 Centre halves ?

(That’s assuming Baker doesn’t break a toe nail after 10 mins)

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Sure it is a concern but it is worst case scenario. We have seen him and Flint and him and Baker be part of a 60 point team a couple years ago. Think most would consider Kalas(who could probably play on the left well enough) better than Flint and Baker. So you’d assume Kalas and Wright could make that happen as well. Though thinking about it Wright played RB most that season but was a major part of us staying up the year before with Flint. 

This would be a dream scenario. I think we need Kasey Palmer more than a goal scorer tbh. I know I am in the minority but Palmer was usually involved in a couple goals once he got on the pitch. Him and pacy striker plus Moore would put us in the auto promotion. Though I would maybe try and go foreign again instead of Moore and see what 6-7m could buy me. 

Thing is if Palmer joins don't we then have him, Brownhill, Szmodics, Paterson, even add Weimann and Eliasson all competing for those attacking midfield spots behind Fammy? I appreciate they don't naturally play in exactly the same way but it seems like a lot of players to have up there, all at similar stages of their career (bar Weimann).

Can't see us getting another RB in as I think we're settled on Hunt being covered by Wright and Vyner - probably not perfect but "it'll do".

If (when) Webster goes then that money surely has to be pegged for a striker and a replacement CB.

As fantastic a player Webster is I can't help but think this is for the best.

20mil + on top of the 15mil for Kelly is incredible.

With what Johnson said today about a lot of bids from different clubs I fail to believe they haven't thought for the last month that he would be off.

There must be plans in place to Strengthen the first 11. 

If the loss of Webster doesn't result in us being stronger all round I would be surprised and disappointed.

There was no way were turning that money down what with Webster surely wanting a move to the Premier league.

These next 8 or 9 days you would think will show our ambition for the coming season.

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Jesus wept. That’s silly money. We’ve made them pay over the odds by miles. 

I’m not sure a replacement can be as good, but if we wanted a sustainable club then deals like this need to be the cornerstone of it. 

Good luck Webby. Thanks for the year!

Have we Fordy ?

In the modern crazy world of football

Problem with the game now and all the money being around the ********* Premier Circus 

Non description and temporary Premier Clubs Like Cardiff, Brighton etc can come along and turn players heads with wages and chuck a bit of loose change around and take our best players at will

Replacing said players even with money in the bank not as easy as some think 

And of course every player we go after we will be quoted inflated prices because we have pocketed money for our players

What also happens then is the Premier League swallows up any player who looks half decent , puts them on Premier wages which then means , if and when they are considered not good enough and made available , most clubs in the football pyramid can’t afford them anymore because of their wage demands 

No blame at the Club , but getting a bit ******** off with football

14 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Thing is if Palmer joins don't we then have him, Brownhill, Szmodics, Paterson, even add Weimann and Eliasson all competing for those attacking midfield spots behind Fammy? I appreciate they don't naturally play in exactly the same way but it seems like a lot of players to have up there, all at similar stages of their career (bar Weimann).

Can't see us getting another RB in as I think we're settled on Hunt being covered by Wright and Vyner - probably not perfect but "it'll do".

If (when) Webster goes then that money surely has to be pegged for a striker and a replacement CB.

Probably but none of the ones mentioned can break down a defence like Palmer. Palmer imo is an upgrade on Szmodics and Paterson. If we signed Palmer my preferred 3 behind Fam would be COD Palmer Weimann

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Have we Fordy ?

Problem with the game now and all the money being around the ********* Premier Circus 

Non description and temporary Premier Clubs Like Cardiff, Brighton etc can come along and turn players heads with wages and chuck a bit of loose change around and take our best players at will

And of course every player we go after we will be quoted inflated prices because we have pocketed money for our players

What also happens then is the Premier League swallows up any player who looks half decent , puts them on Premier wages which then means , if and when they are considered not good enough and made available , most clubs in the football pyramid can’t afford them anymore because of their wage demands 

And it causes fee and especially wage inflation in the Championship, which means the already precarious financial position gets even worse.

We are trying to manage more responsibly and will not get into the mess some clubs have, and will, but our wages to turnover ratio is still bad.

Love the game, hate the business.

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

Probably but none of the ones mentioned can break down a defence like Palmer. Palmer imo is an upgrade on Szmodics and Paterson. If we signed Palmer my preferred 3 behind Fam would be COD Palmer Weimann

Eliasson has to be first choice winger imo

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Have we Fordy ?

The football would is crazy, and the money players are going for is going to the kill the game off.

Webster is not worth £20 million, in the same Kelly wasn’t worth £13 million, and Maguire isn’t worth £80 million.

The game is going to eat itself up, and at the same time Bury’s first game of the season is being cancelled and maybe their second. 

20m+ is very good and if we can get Clarke on loan as part of the deal and he's as good as people say then definitely sell. Good move for him as well as 1 good season in the prem and he could join a bigger club and more money for us with a sell on. 

With the money we're getting it's looking like we are using some for Palmer who although some say we don't need can give us that added spark as he clearly has something about him. Plus some more money for a number 9 either permanent or a loan, I think we'll go foreign as there isn't much in England on offer, then a midfielder to replace/compete with Pack . Possibly a right back could be on the cards being as we took Thompson on trial it's something Johnson must think we're lacking 

6 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Eliasson has to be first choice winger imo

Feel like he is too left footed. Any half decent fullback figures him out quick. Van Aanholt made him look like a child a few days ago. I am a fan but he needs to go right sometimes to be complete

What the **** is up with players who have ‘had their heads turned’ suddenly performing like they’ve never ever kicked a ball before 

I can imagine during my working life , telling the boss my ‘head isn’t right’ to work properly

Anyone fancy trying that tomorrow morning ?

Bottom line is the Club have or will have sold players worth £ 70-80 million in the last 12 months

Weve spent to date , what , 18-20 ? over the same period .....to date

Lets see where we go from here ..........

1 minute ago, Grey Fox said:

Brighton fans believe the deal is now done, price £24.5 Million. These Brighton fans include an ex captain, so ITK

So we should now be seeing a lot of transfer action over the next few days..

:fingerscrossed:

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Have we Fordy ?

I'm much the same. Don't have Sky or BT and very rarely watch match of the day ( sometimes watch if weve had a great result)

The gaps between the top six and the rest, the ever increasing gap between the divisions is shite.

I hate the more and more lack of Saturday games at 3oclock . Not really looking forward to the Leeds game as am up at 4 on the Monday, so even a win ***** up a good night!!!

If we ever go up it's the doing it that appeals to me not so much joining the Circus.

Archived