IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I don’t blame the Club Len

If Webster , as it appears has gone all wobbly at the enticement of a Gold Plated Range Rover , we have little option , especially with the money on offer

I would think LJ is majorly pissed off

What makes people think Webster has gone all wobbly?

If it was the performance against Palace, then it would be fair to say that 75% of the team have had their heads turned!

They were shocking. 

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Simple.

3 at the back, 7 across the middle, play without a striker.

We'll win or lose every game 11-10.

3? Nope not having that. Let's go full on 19th century. Return of the Pyramid. 2-3-5. Sadly no room for Dasilva in this formation but Bielsa won't know what's hit him.

Capture.PNG

6 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

At the risk of stating the obvious, they got promoted and established themselves as a Premier League club! 

People talk down about the likes of Palace, Brighton, Bournemouth etc as if we’re ‘bigger’ than them - we’re not.

In terms of being a draw to a potential signing or current player, even the tiniest Premier League club would be way ahead of us. 

Not talking them down but as we kept them out of a play off final, do you not think it strange that they are now a prem club and we are.....well where we are....so it seems we aren't progressing too much at all really, well not as much as Palace and others are.?

5 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

The whole thing is pathetic. Clubs leaving there best players out of Cup games because they have a league game a week later, WTF!! Playing into the top sides hands as they have better players leading to the top clubs winning the FA  Cup every season.

Never understood the need of fans for their team to remain in the top division while finishing in the bottom 6 for 10 years in a row, winning about 5 home games every season. Where's the Joy?

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Well said

For me the ultimate ‘pointless existence’

Totally agree with this but it`s treated as some sort of heresy to say it. I`ve said many times that I`d rather be in a league where we can genuinely compete and go toe to toe with the Leeds`s and Boro`s of this world than just spend all season trying to grind out 1-0s against the other dead men and hoping to finish fourth from bottom

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

Exactly. Apologies if I was a bit blunt in my posts but I feel so frustrated having got the perfect pairing that suits us I really thought we could make strides this year especially with the additional signings of Dasilva and Bentley. Yes we still might do something but it feels the rug once again has been pulled from under our feet. Yes we could be looking at a pile of money but I just wanted to enjoy what we had until Jan at least if not longer. 

This feels so much worse than last year when we lost Flinty, infact it feels like losing Reid all over again such as one player can make a difference to a team.

While it is gutting, I'm coming round to the idea it's not the worst thing that could happen. 

Let's talk price first. It's ******* ludicrous. He's a quality player but that for any player in this league that hasn't played in the top flight is silly money. Add the fact he struggled with injuries before he arrived, he/We may have got lucky last season. 

I look at the squad NOW ( with him in it) and I don't see us  challenging. If we were to bring in Matt Clarke and then spent big on a forward and a holding midfielder i would be a little more confident?!

A shame but if we were to re invest it maybe for the best.  

15 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And for all those whooping with joy at the money 

Even if we make signings in the next 10 days 

LJ has the task of drilling them , and moulding them into a side in the same period

@marmite made a comment earlier about pre-season and was shouted down , but he has a point

We have a coach who is quite complicated in his set ups and particular way of playing

So to get a side gelled with a view to hit the top six this season is some ask.......

It's the same for pretty much every club though, mate.

If anything teams should be gelling quicker this season given the window closes a few weeks earlier than usual.

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

Exactly. Apologies if I was a bit blunt in my posts but I feel so frustrated having got the perfect pairing that suits us I really thought we could make strides this year especially with the additional signings of Dasilva and Bentley. Yes we still might do something but it feels the rug once again has been pulled from under our feet. Yes we could be looking at a pile of money but I just wanted to enjoy what we had until Jan at least if not longer. 

This feels so much worse than last year when we lost Flinty, infact it feels like losing Reid all over again such as one player can make a difference to a team.

Good of you to apologise, but I can’t see for the life of me what there is for you to say sorry about. At the risk of repeating myself, for all that I understand the position of both club and player, I share your deep disappointment, for all the reasons you give. We’ll move on, but I believe LJ would have wanted to build the side around that central defensive partnership and, whilst we may still go on to have a good season, I suspect we’ll achieve less than we would have done if Webster could have been retained. We may also have to play in a somewhat different way, depending on who is brought in over what remains of this transfer window. Haven’t  been this dismayed by the departure of a player for a long time.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

If anything teams should be gelling quicker this season given the window closes a few weeks earlier than usual.

I'm sure more is made of the fabled 'gelling' than really exists. Otherwise all clubs would complete their transfer business the moment the window opens, not wishing to bring someone in late who hasn't had the time to well-gel.

10 minutes ago, RedM said:

For us to truly progress we should keep our best players and add to them; he aint been here 5mins what happened to building a team, or our we building other clubs teams first.

If you want to build something don't keep knocking it down, but hey we always do

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

True mate

But we have a coach who constantly reminds us that it takes players some time to get used to Championship Or bed in

Has a wish to play in a very particular way 

Not every Club is so

Not a dig at him , that’s just what it is

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm sure more is made of the fabled 'gelling' than really exists. Otherwise all clubs would complete their transfer business the moment the window opens, not wishing to bring someone in late who hasn't had the time to well-gel.

They would , if they could

If you’ve coached , or managed , gelling a side is paramount

Certain partnerships on the pitch (And IMHO the triangle of centre halves and keeper the most important) are vital to blend as soon as possible

1 minute ago, ScottishRed said:

He is clearly going to go, there is a traction now on this. It’s now about how we spend the money. I hope the club have expected this development and have planned according.

This is a real opportunity to strengthen the team - could be a very interesting 8 days.

Yes but for how long, until the next transfer window?

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I don’t blame the Club Len

If Webster , as it appears has gone all wobbly at the enticement of a Gold Plated Range Rover , we have little option , especially with the money on offer

I would think LJ is majorly pissed off

Sorry B - wasn’t implying you did mate. 

Yeah it’s a tricky one - from his POV he doesn't have any affinity with us other than having spent a year with here and he now has the opportunity to set himself up for life. Couple that with his previous injury record, and the chance to play at the higher level and even push towards England honours if it goes well,  then you can’t blame him. Shouldn’t mean that he downs tools though if he has (I haven’t seen any preseason so can’t really comment there but doesn’t sound great).  

12 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

3? Nope not having that. Let's go full on 19th century. Return of the Pyramid. 2-3-5. Sadly no room for Dasilva in this formation but Bielsa won't know what's hit him.

Capture.PNG

Drop Fam (according to many, he isn't very good), move Josh up top, move Szmodics to the right and BINGO!

A place for Jay.

Piss easy this football thing, innit.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Totally agree with this but it`s treated as some sort of heresy to say it. I`ve said many times that I`d rather be in a league where we can genuinely compete and go toe to toe with the Leeds`s and Boro`s of this world than just spend all season trying to grind out 1-0s against the other dead men and hoping to finish fourth from bottom

Life in the Premier League might be a bit dull but I bet Bournemouth can't believe their luck. It's about the joy of getting there isn't it? It's about shaking off that feeling that getting there is just something that happens to other teams. Maybe we'd be good enough for an FA Cup final appearance, like those titans Cardiff, Wigan and Watford. 

I hope we pull something magic out of the hat as we find ourselves a few days from the start of the season with a bloody great hole up front and now an even bigger one in defence.

17 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Capture.PNG

That team looks ridiculous...Baker on right and Kalas on the left!?

2 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Life in the Premier League might be a bit dull but I bet Bournemouth can't believe their luck. It's about the joy of getting there isn't it? It's about shaking off that feeling that getting there is just something that happens to other teams. Maybe we'd be good enough for an FA Cup final appearance, like those titans Cardiff, Wigan and Watford. 

I hope we pull something magic out of the hat as we find ourselves a few days from the start of the season with a bloody great hole up front and now an even bigger one in defence.

If, and it’s a big if, we got promoted to the top league again in my lifetime, I am pretty sure I will look back and think the journey there was by far the most memorable bit of it, rather than the destination itself.

14 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Not talking them down but as we kept them out of a play off final, do you not think it strange that they are now a prem club and we are.....well where we are....so it seems we aren't progressing too much at all really, well not as much as Palace and others are.?

Well that’s ultimately what one season in the premier league does. It allows you a platform on which to build, and completely changes your stature as a club overnight such are the sums of money involved. 

I wouldn’t say it’s us ‘not progressing’ per se, I feel as a club we are in a completely different (better) shape than we were at the time period you talk about, but we had to take a step back to go one forwards. 

It’s all cyclical. In ten years time, Palace, Brighton and Bournemouth could all be in League One and you could see Bristol City, Brentford and Preston in the PL. 

However I think if the money in the game keeps accelerating at the rate it has in the last five years, the chances of getting out of the Championship for a club that hasn’t recently been in the PL will get smaller and smaller. The gulf in pulling power / spending ability (wages) is already enormous between, for example, Fulham this season and the likes of us.

The reward for failure in the PL gets bigger and bigger every year. 

4 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Totally take your point but, this is SL’s model , buy cheap, develop, then sell. then repeat?

Not happy about it but it’s the way it is.

16 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Capture.PNG

Un-inverting the pyramid eh? What would Jonathan Wilson say?!

Anyway, I don't like your half backs. You need Gordon Parr, Terry Bush and Gordon Low in there. ?

Yes the window shutting after the first game and the PL not starting for another week complicates matters as it is clear most sides in our division will be conducting business after game one....but not for very long...All of a sudden the dominoes fall, hopefully we can grab the ones we want quickly...to mix metaphors kinda!

We were interested in Clark so if that is the sweetener for Webster then ok. This to me means we need two definitely and according to LJ three

1 A Forward (please stop using the word striker)

2 A Combative Midfielder break up play and god forbid find a pass quickly.

3 What ever the **** LJ thinks he needs 

Archived