IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Wow, when I left my last job I worked really hard to the best of my ability until I walked out of the door. I'm not going to let my work colleagues down, plus I might need a reference for my next job. 

Same here Max. When I left my last role, a good few years ago, I worked professionally until I left. Who's to say a new move works out badly and you would like to reverse your choice further down the line. Leaving on good terms is always a positive IMHO.

Just now, Major Isewater said:

How very dare you ? 

Nowhere is better than Weston beach . Where else can you enjoy the squelch between your toes as you walk gingerly into the brown soupy stuff they call sea ? 

I thought it was technically an estuary ?

Perhaps he has just had enough of Sparky the donkey (Is sparky still there?)

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Same here Max. When I left my last role, a good few years ago, I worked professionally until I left. Who's to say a new move works out badly and you would like to reverse your choice further down the line. Leaving on good terms is always a positive IMHO.

It’s also a sign of self respect to always give your best . 

I had to work out three months notice at my last employers in the UK even though they were a bunch of synts I kept my dignity and showed them what they would be missing ! 

26 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I know Villa were going to offer Webster £60k pw so £70k ish is likely.

You think that's underpaid, you'd be amazed what he was on at Ipswich! Basically a League One wage...

Not trying to be a dick, but how could you possibly know this? It makes sense for Villa to keep what they are prepared to offer strictly confidential don't you think. Imagine if Webster knew this, he would ask for more... 

Also I didn't think there were any talks of salary until the fee was agreed which it wasn't? 

Shed some light please 

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It’s also a sign of self respect to always give your best . 

I had to work out three months notice at my last employers in the UK even though they were a bunch of synts I kept my dignity and showed them what they would be missing ! 

That's always been my philosophy…however much I may detest my employers, I won't ever let that effect my work ethic.

18 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Ok, so how happy would you (and everyone else) of been if we had given our £3.5m signing £30k p/w, in the slim hope that he might become a player valued at £30m? It’s simply not viable.

I didn’t say I would be. Was just pointing out that contract lengths etc don’t mean a thing once an offer comes in from a bigger club. 

I haven't seen it mentioned...but most players now have a figure attached to their contract,that once bid allows players to speak to other Clubs or they are notified. Or even Prem team only bid etc.

For example Webster's may have been £20 million. We then tell Clubs we want £30 million. To cover sell one etc etc.

Once triggered the whole thing starts rolling.

Guess we'll also be looking for a good sell on clause...MA beavering like his life depends on it.

If we get £25 million including add ons, a player in on a season loan from Brighton to cover his position and 20% sell on clause, then it would be very good business imo.

30 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

As George V reputedly said 'Bu$$er Bognor'.

.. and there's a fair few locals that have followed those instructions to the letter in the meantime.

11 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

That's tough work, believe me. :cool2:

Need to keep your nose to the grindstone Rudolph.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

What job does your ‘someone’ at AG do?  I’m not saying it’s not true, but amazed at who supposedly knows what.

I saw something else Re Ipswich, can’t remember the player, but it was 10% for that player.  Could be true of Webster.

FWIW, I certainly agree that Webster is a fine ball-playing CB (arguably the best in the Champ), and a very tidy defender, add them together and you get a very good Champ CB.  But imho, Kalas is a better defender, just not so good on the ball.  As a pair they are an excellent partnership.

Can we sell Webster for £25m and replace him for a fraction of the money?  Yes.  

We might not get quite the ball-playing skills of Webster but we may get a better defender.  Hector is arguably a better defender, imho he is, and he’s pretty comfortable on the ball, not Webster class.  He’s got aggression too.  We could be better defensively!

I know that sounds far fetched, but let’s wait and see.

As for whether Webster is Prem class depends on your definition.  Top 6 side regular CB.  Unlikely.  Bottom 8 regular, yes sir.  When you’ve seen players like Macauley and Dawson play hundreds of Prem games, even Duff (now £40m rated), there is no reason to not think Webster isn’t capable.

the £25m also gives us options to strengthen elsewhere.  Would love him to stay but there is a bigger picture.  Who we replace ‘ bring in with the money will be telling.

Let’s just say he’s a sportsman.

42 minutes ago, spudski said:

I haven't seen it mentioned...but most players now have a figure attached to their contract,that once bid allows players to speak to other Clubs or they are notified. Or even Prem team only bid etc.

For example Webster's may have been £20 million. We then tell Clubs we want £30 million. To cover sell one etc etc.

Once triggered the whole thing starts rolling.

Guess we'll also be looking for a good sell on clause...MA beavering like his life depends on it.

If we get £25 million including add ons, a player in on a season loan from Brighton to cover his position and 20% sell on clause, then it would be very good business imo.

You mean a Release Clause. Often talked about regarding Messi et al. Think of 9 digit telephone number, multiply it by a gazillion and you're still not close.

Good call. Webster's is probably around the £20m mark, with our comfort at £25m plus. Shame we have to give £4m to £5m of that to the Punchdrunk Ponies.

2 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

You mean a Release Clause. Often talked about regarding Messi et al. Think of 9 digit telephone number, multiply it by a gazillion and you're still not close.

Good call. Webster's is probably around the £20m mark, with our comfort at £25m plus. Shame we have to give £4m to £5m of that to the Punchdrunk Ponies.

It seems to me that those release clauses only apply in spain as part of their contracts

We could always put one of our youngsters at CB. Lloyd Kelly has indicated he wanted to play there but his opportunities were limited due to the pairing of Webster and Kalas. He could step rightbin it would be great to show other players our pathway*

*Yes I know he was lured away by yet another Premier team, but my point remains the same. He and more likely now Taylor Moore were being groomed to be the next CB’s, that’s all great until the plan falls flat. But yes the money is good. I guess we can sit here and count that rather than enjoying watching talent in our team.

Yes we still have talented players but some are a class above and we don’t see the likes of them very often. Some players must be feeling a little miffed as their jobs aren’t going to be so easy. Also some players must be looking at themselves and wondering if they will ever get the big move now they have seen yet another teammate leave( when it happens) for better things. Very unsettling for the squad and fans. I would be so frustrated if it was in LJ’s shoes too.

13 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Exactly... couldn't for the life of me think of the term when writing the post :laugh:

Archived