IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

10 minutes ago, swanker said:

What, you’d knuckle down and concentrate on playing for your club! Fair play to you because if somebody was willing to double or triple my wages I’d snatch their hands off, like everyone else would  

Fair play to Webster, he’s got the opportunity to live the dream and we’re doing alright out of it as well. 

A lot of people, and I don't just mean AshtonGreat so this is by no means a dig, find it very difficult to separate how us as fans feel and how players feel. Ultimately, if you were offered 3x your wages (in Bobby Reid's case, 4x for example), plus a massive signing on lump sum bonus, and effectively a promotion (working at a more respected company with better opportunities), 99% of people wouldn't think twice. They may see if their current employer could match, or at least compete with, it; but not much more than that.

Unfortunately, fans seem to think that there should be some kind of inherent loyalty in sport because it is people's passion. Even if it isn't for the club they support, there's this inbuilt belief that players should respect supporters of a club. You don't see Tesco employees refusing to move because their customers don't shop at Sainsbury's, or graphic designers not moving to a different company because people they design for don't products buy at their new place.

It's a career - he gets a massive step forward in his life, and the club benefit from it massively. Win win. Fair play to the bloke; go on and get yourself in that England squad Webster.

7 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Knuckle down and get ready for the new season at the club I've signed a contract to. **** me, he's only given us one season. If he's as good as everyone says he is, the interest from the Premier League won't go away, so he should've given us one more season at least. 

As for City, 'It's good business', blah de blah. Well not really, as what's the point having the money if you're never able to build a team (because players keep buggering off the moment a Premier League club comes sniffing). 

Aren't we wonderful as supporters. We expect players to honour their contracts but at the same time reserve the right to urge the club the tell a player to **** off if we don't like him. I don't blame players for wanting to move to better themselves or their family, and by the same token don't blame them if they want to dig in their heels and stay when a club wants rid. In such cases isn't the club not honouring it's contract? 

28 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Not as much as the selling club.

Something doesn’t add up here. If he was 100% off with the clubs best wishes then he wouldn’t be training at all.

Does appear strange. Maybe its not as close to being done as Brighton have suggested or maybe MA is holding out for the £30m.

One thing that few people have suggested is whether Taylor Moore could take over at CB.

He's not been offered a fair opportunity yet, and while he'll definitely be no replacement for Webster, I wonder whether giving Kalas the reins to lead the defensive line and to work with Moore would be a good idea?

This would give us £20m+ to play with - more than enough to buy that goalscoring forward that many feel is the missing link. Maybe even bring that lad from Arsenal in on a loan-to-buy option, depending on how we both do this season.

3 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

One thing that few people have suggested is whether Taylor Moore could take over at CB.

He's not been offered a fair opportunity yet, and while he'll definitely be no replacement for Webster, I wonder whether giving Kalas the reins to lead the defensive line and to work with Moore would be a good idea?

This would give us £20m+ to play with - more than enough to buy that goalscoring forward that many feel is the missing link. Maybe even bring that lad from Arsenal in on a loan-to-buy option, depending on how we both do this season.

As well as Taylor Moore we have Baker, Bailey Wright and Zak Vyner who can play in that position so not as if we've not got any cover

As for those saying Webster should be more loyal it's the cub's strategy to sell a player if an enormous offer comes in as it's the only way we can generate any profits to fund other purchases so I'm sure it's the club's decision to allow the transfer as much as the player's

2 minutes ago, Ben4BCFC said:

A lot of people, and I don't just mean AshtonGreat so this is by no means a dig, find it very difficult to separate how us as fans feel and how players feel. Ultimately, if you were offered 3x your wages (in Bobby Reid's case, 4x for example), plus a massive signing on lump sum bonus, and effectively a promotion (working at a more respected company with better opportunities), 99% of people wouldn't think twice. They may see if their current employer could match, or at least compete with, it; but not much more than that.

Unfortunately, fans seem to think that there should be some kind of inherent loyalty in sport because it is people's passion. Even if it isn't for the club they support, there's this inbuilt belief that players should respect supporters of a club. You don't see Tesco employees refusing to move because their customers don't shop at Sainsbury's, or graphic designers not moving to a different company because people they design for don't products buy at their new place.

It's a career - he gets a massive step forward in his life, and the club benefit from it massively. Win win. Fair play to the bloke; go on and get yourself in that England squad Webster.

I think the other thing people forget sometimes is the lack of loyalty in football is a two-way street. If Webster stayed out of loyalty but then - and I mean this hypothetically, not because I am predicting it would happen - Taylor Moore suddenly started playing amazingly well and suddenly looked like a better option at centre-back, I wouldn't want the club to stick with Webster out of loyalty. I'd want them to play the player who is on form. And, if we got an option to sign a better defender than Webster, then I'd not care about loyalty.  I'd want us to sign the better defender and flog Webster if needed.

I didn't expect the club to show loyalty to Eisa or Engvall. I don't even want us to be loyal to Lee Johnson if we lose the first ten games of the season. Ultimately football players know they are only valued by a club as long as the club can't get someone better in. So why should they be loyal?

I totally agree with your last paragraph. I hope he is a massive hit at Brighton and, in a couple of years, is in the England squad and getting linked with top six sides. 

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Umtiti at half the price if papers to be believed- £46m to £90m Maguire.

Could this weaken the chain? Also read online somewhere that Dunk could stay despite Webster move- back 3 one possibility.

I'm not convinced the Webster move is reliant solely on the chain. I think Potter saw him as the best in the Championship and suited to the way he wants to play.Plus Brighton say they have had no enquiries about Dunk anyway.

21 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Does appear strange. Maybe its not as close to being done as Brighton have suggested or maybe MA is holding out for the £30m.

“Adam, here’s yesterday’s training kit. Scotty hasn’t got around to washing it yet. Stick it on and pose for a couple of pics with the lads when they’ve finished training, meanwhile go and rest your legs for a couple of hours on Steve’s  Chaise Longue. The club’s makeup artist will drop by to put some rouge on your cheeks and wet-look gel in your hair. Help yourself to Steve’s caviar.”

16 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

As well as Taylor Moore we have Baker, Bailey Wright and Zak Vyner who can play in that position so not as if we've not got any cover

Anyone who plays on the LHS of defence has to be able to tackle instinctively with their left foot. To my knowledge none of these guys can. 

3 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Anyone who plays on the LHS of defence has to be able to tackle instinctively with their left foot. To my knowledge none of these guys can. 

We all saw that when Bailey Wright was out there, he was always getting stuck on the touchline with the ball at his feet having to go back to the keeper because he couldn't get the ball down the touchline with his left foot.

5 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I'm not sure that Taylor Moore isn't two footed. I'm sure he played as the left side centre back in an early league Cup game a couple of seasons back, the thrashing of Plymouth Argyle I think. 

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I'm not sure that Taylor Moore isn't two footed. I'm sure he played as the left side centre back in an early league Cup game a couple of seasons back, the thrashing of Plymouth Argyle I think. 

Thought he looked ok when he came on against Palace, made a couple of Wesbster type darts forward with the ball, looked comfortable.

7 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

If so then I’ll stand corrected. I’ll finally be able to throw away my orthotics. 

23 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I mentioned about Vyner, Moore and Wright yesterday all being uncomfortable on the left hand side. Baker would obviously be comfortable there but I was led to believe he was on the way out..

10 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

I mentioned about Vyner, Moore and Wright yesterday all being uncomfortable on the left hand side. Baker would obviously be comfortable there but I was led to believe he was on the way out..

Blimey , realised he was injury prone but ......blimey ......

12 minutes ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

Brian_owen he covers Brighton on twitter 

I've been told #bhafc not in "active negotiations" for anyone right now but obviously there are reports in Spain they have bid for striker En Nesiry. The word from Madrid is that Leganes want to sell and a deal will be done. We'll see.

So I guess if Maguire isn't happening then Dunk isn't happening which means Webster isn't happening?

Archived