IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

14 hours ago, hodge said:

And yet its commented on why aren't we getting more English players in the top league...

I'm not sure of the exact rules but X amount of players in the squad have to be of homegrown status. Hence why the price of homegrown players has gone through the roof. 

Not quite sure this rule is working as they intended it to work.

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

If he's going to go, I wish he'd hurry up and leave so we can move on

Not sure what difference it makes, I don’t think we’re relying on him leaving before bringing others in & he’s seemingly not causing any problems within the squad.

10 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Not sure what difference it makes, I don’t think we’re relying on him leaving before bringing others in & he’s seemingly not causing any problems within the squad.

He played on Saturday, so LJ obviously didn't/doesn't know if he's staying or going. And the defence looked uncertain as a consequence

6 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

He played on Saturday, so LJ obviously didn't/doesn't know if he's staying or going. And the defence looked uncertain as a consequence

But at no stage has anyone said that we’ve accepted a bid for him. He was at the open training on Tuesday & pictured at training yesterday.

LJ will know if he’s in a position to play come Sunday, as he did with Flint & I’m sure they have trained for whatever outcome. Only 1 more week & then we’ll know for definite.

30 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

But at no stage has anyone said that we’ve accepted a bid for him. He was at the open training on Tuesday & pictured at training yesterday.

LJ will know if he’s in a position to play come Sunday, as he did with Flint & I’m sure they have trained for whatever outcome. Only 1 more week & then we’ll know for definite.

It does appear that the Brighton Media Dept have "gone early" on this one. Rare for a club to say directly that they expect to make a deal rather than dropping hints to a 3rd party to get it into the press as a rumour.

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

Is this your considered opinion or do you have any source confirming this

Webster was at Brighton's training ground in Lancing today, Brighton fans that are frriends of mine who drink with some guys who work there have told me that is their understanding. They are not wind up merchants

Getting the impression from LJ’s comments “it could be expensive” for the striker we are after, that we are now Relying on some of the money from the Webster deal should it go through, in order to sign a more ambitious target? 

Both LJ and Ashton have come out this week and stated that signing a proven 9 is a must but they are expensive. 

After signing Palmer (following on from all our other signings), we have now spent more than the Kelly deal. We can’t be in a situation within FFP to spend big on a striker plus the other two signings that LJ said he wants. If the Dijksteel fee (2m) is correct then that would take our spending to 5.5m after the Kelly deal. Add in the striker and Other player (albeit if it is Clarke included from Brighton we wouldn’t be required to spend much).

The pattern over the last couple of weeks has been the increase in number of players LJ has wanted to bring in. It started with “a couple” and last week was 3 before this week changing to 4 new signings. 

Have we left ourselves in a position financially where we won’t be able to afford a proven striker at a high level if the Webster deal falls through? We are in the domino chain with the maguire to United deal and if that doesn’t happen and we end up managing to keep Webby, would we then have to settle for an average striker to fall within budget restrictions?

I think we have done some great business this summer. However our priority positions have not been fillled. At the start of the window I would have said we required a striker, centre mid, and secure Kalas and Dasilva.

I’m delighted with how the squad is taking shape. My only concern is the order we have prioritized signing certain players. If we were to finish the window without signing a striker, there would be uproar. 

If the Webster deal doesn’t go through then I can see us signing Kieffer Moore, our plan B if you like. 

However, if Webster is sold then I believe we will move on to more ambitious targets. We are starting to get linked to players that previously would have been out of reach. I believe Mark Ashton is currently testing the water to see if a higher ability striker is available and interested, which we can use some of the Webster money on.

Can see the striker signing on deadline day! A lot can happen up to then that makes certain players who were ‘out of reach’, available and needing a move.

Anyone else share a similar opinion?

Archived