IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

10 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Yes, we were worried about replacing Flint but managed to replace him with Webster - now we're selling him too. In fact, I seem to remember hearing that Johnson was only prepared to sell Flint if he could get Webster. We can't keep selling decent centre backs or we'll never get anywhere.

And yes, Weimann replaced Bobby Reid - now we score a lot less goals.

Arsenal wanted to buy Ritchie and Merrick, Dicks said no, we went up, stayed up, and that is the model imprinted on your mind - how football works - and you cannot get away from it. That was 1975/76.

Today, it is 2019. Football has changed.

Even though, under this new-fangled "sell our best and invest" post relegation in 2013 model, we have climbed from L1 dross to two top half Championship finishes you can only see "we'll never get anywhere."

The "where" you refer to there, where is that? Where is the where in your "anywhere"? Be specific. You haven't a clue, have you?

1 minute ago, Wanderingred said:

Good business but I hope people are prepared to adjust their expectations for this season.

Same noises when we sold Kodjia, Flint, Bryan, Reid etc.... reality is we have improved our league position 5 years in a row. One individual does not a team make....

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

Buying a player for £3.5m and then 12 month later get north of £20m is great business, and good luck to him. Money in the bank at this stage of the season get us no points however.

Feels a little like selling my house after 20 years. 'Blimey, look how much we made...wait...you cannot be serious about how much you want for yours!'.  

Spooky 

Was just mulling over the exact Sam ethoughts and the comparison with the housing prices boom of 90s etc

A lot of people drooling at the thought of £22 million and it does seem absurd that we are selling a player for £22 million but how much is £22 million in today’s ridiculous market, how much to replace him , or buy a average  to good striker 

You need to spend the money and reinvest because whatever £22m , is actually worth Now ,

it’s ‘worth’ more than it will be in 12 months time

3 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Good business but I hope people are prepared to adjust their expectations for this season.

In what way ?

The price of his replacement (whoever that might be) has just gone up now they know we are cash-rich. Unless of course, we had a deal in principal lined up already, which would be another MA masterstroke.

Shame the Matt Clarke thing doesn't look like it's happening, as that would have been ideal, and bought us some time to find another gem, whilst allowing immediate funds to go toward a #9.

4 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Arsenal wanted to buy Ritchie and Merrick, Dicks said no, we went up, stayed up, and that is the model imprinted on your mind - how football works - and you cannot get away from it. That was 1975/76.

Today, it is 2019. Football has changed.

Even though, under this new-fangled "sell our best and invest" post relegation in 2013 model, we have climbed from L1 dross to two top half Championship finishes you can only see "we'll never get anywhere."

The "where" you refer to there, where is that? Where is the where in your "anywhere"? Be specific. You haven't a clue, have you?

That's not quite true. We were already in the top division when Arsenal wanted Richie and Merrick. But who cares that is history..

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

In what way ?

You can't lose a player that good, and expect it not to have a negative impact on our season. Don't get me wrong, we've done the right thing. But this may be a case of taking a step back before taking two steps forward.

17 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Sky now reporting done at £22m and Webster heading for medical 

They also said “....and to discuss personal terms”.  That always gets me, surely him and his agent have already discussed those? It just a matter of checking the paperwork and signing.

@Kid in the Riot is this £22m + £5m or something else?

19 minutes ago, Coppello said:

But do you not concede that the reported £25m is a phenomenal amount of money for a player with a poor injury record? It's the kind of sum that is difficult to turn down as it could do so much for the rest of the squad. If invested well, it will narrow the gap between us and the parachute payment clubs. We'd be very silly to turn it down. 

Aye it's good money - no one can argue with that. But then, we probably had a better chance of getting to the Prem with him in the team. By the sound of it, we've even missed out on getting Clarke from Brighton. 

2 minutes ago, Onthefence said:

Do we really need a replacement? Nathan Baker is more than capable as a CB with Bailey Wright as backup

Would have Baker behind Wright, Moore and Vyner. We need another imo unless Moore is ready.

Just now, Wanderingred said:

You can't lose a player that good, and expect it not to have a negative impact on our season. Don't get me wrong, we've done the right thing. But this may be a case of taking a step back before taking two steps forward.

Hang on , Surely the whole idea , and the ones celebrating this will say that we should and will be reinvesting that money and with the war chest we should have should make us much stronger

Lets not get feeble excuses in too early this season 

4 minutes ago, Onthefence said:

Do we really need a replacement? Nathan Baker is more than capable as a CB with Bailey Wright as backup

Oh come on

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Would have Baker behind Wright, Moore and Vyner. We need another imo unless Moore is ready.

We'll get whupped by Leeds with that defence

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Hang on , Surely the whole idea , and the ones celebrating this will say that we should and will be reinvesting that money and with the war chest we should have should make us much stronger

Lets not get feeble excuses in too early this season 

Hopefully. Depends on who we bring in and how they settle in. That's something we don't know yet. I just think that there are too many people brushing off the loss of Webster as if it won't weaken us at all. It will. Just being realistic that's all.

The fee is incredible as it is. However, I also hope we have managed to slip a 20% sell on clause in as well.

If he replicates what he has done for us, I can see him moving again in 12 months time for a huge fee to a top 6 team. The likes of Arsenal, Tottenham (older Centre backs), Chelsea all could be looking.

could bring the overall deal to be worth over 30m. Incredible business.

3 minutes ago, Br1stolCityBoy said:

That's not quite true. We were already in the top division when Arsenal wanted Richie and Merrick. But who cares that is history..

The point is, is AshtonGreat looking to the past for the way forward for us in 2019? And is the way forward for us in 2019 to be found in how football was done successfully in the past?

Archived