IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

11 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Oh come on

We'll get whupped by Leeds with that defence

With that mind (of yours) you'll always feel "whupped." Bristol City cannot help you with that

12 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Oh come on

With that mind (of yours) you'll always feel "whupped." Bristol City cannot help you with that

Sincerely hope we have a plan in place for this. Weve sold about 30 million this year and spent a fraction of that amount.

Problem is weve lost our best centre half and not addressed our main weakness of scoring goals.

I hope we have deals in place for these positions or were going to either pay a lot or make do with what we have which isn't good enough for top 6.

11 minutes ago, Onthefence said:

Do we really need a replacement? Nathan Baker is more than capable as a CB with Bailey Wright as backup

Yes - if he could only stay fit, and focused.

The problem is we can't be confident of either, meaning we can't rely on him.

Which is a shame because he's a good player when he's "at it".    

15 minutes ago, Br1stolCityBoy said:

That's not quite true. We were already in the top division when Arsenal wanted Richie and Merrick. But who cares that is history..

Not as I remember it.

Reported at the time the 2 players weren't that keen on the move anyway -  it was a very close knit team and Sir Geoffrey was more interested in getting to the top league by Captaining his home town club to promotion.

29 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Makes me laugh.......all through these protracted negotiations not a word on the BBC football "gossip" section, and yet you get minor snippets about the likes of Sunderland, Leeds and Reading !

In fairness to the Beeb, on their website they had an article running for a few days about Brighton being close to tiring up a deal for Webster at £20m

3 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Good business but I hope people are prepared to adjust their expectations for this season.

Maybe, but if the club receives 35 million in transfer proceeds, and doesnt manage to get a good quality striker in, especially after last seasons transfers too, then the excuses will be hard to take.

12 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

The fee is incredible as it is. However, I also hope we have managed to slip a 20% sell on clause in as well.

If he replicates what he has done for us, I can see him moving again in 12 months time for a huge fee to a top 6 team. The likes of Arsenal, Tottenham (older Centre backs), Chelsea all could be looking.

could bring the overall deal to be worth over 30m. Incredible business.

Nobody leaves the club without a sell on clause, Mark Ashton said so in a interview a while back .

32 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Good business but I hope people are prepared to adjust their expectations for this season.

It's the expectations as to how much we will be spending on a striker that could be a more immediate issue.

29 minutes ago, Br1stolCityBoy said:

Sky Sports says this morning he's going to Derby. Time will tell.

There's a chance he hasn't updated his satnav from last season and will instead be directed to Frank Lampard's Derby County and will instead end up at Stamford Bridge. Our friends at Chelsea will then be straight on the phone to us, voila!

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They also said “....and to discuss personal terms”.  That always gets me, surely him and his agent have already discussed those? It just a matter of checking the paperwork and signing.

@Kid in the Riot is this £22m + £5m or something else?

I don't know for certain Dave, but I'm almost certain that must be £22m up front. Then add ons will take it up to £25m or maybe even £27m.

You're correct on personal terms, that'll just be a case of dotting the i's and crossing the t's. 

This is done - best of luck Adam! Would love to see him in that England squad within 18 months/two years.

7 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

The point is, is AshtonGreat looking to the past for the way forward for us in 2019? And is the way forward for us in 2019 to be found in how football was done successfully in the past?

A strong defence is the foundation of any successful team. In Kalas and Webster we had arguably the best defensive pairing we'd had in years. The main thing that stopped us getting over the finishing line last season was a lack of goals. So it made sense to try and hold on to Webster for another season, while strengthening our attack. 

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not as I remember it.

Reported at the time the 2 players weren't that keen on the move anyway -  it was a very close knit team and Sir Geoffrey was more interested in getting to the top league by Captaining his home town club to promotion.

I'm not going to argue, but I'm pretty sure it was after our 1st season up there where Richie and Merrick had a brilliant season. We lost Cheesley to that knee injury and Richie was brilliant. Merrick also marked Malcolm McDonald out of both games. The away game was the season opener. As I said it doesn't matter, its history.

27 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Oh come on

No I mean I'd have any of those 3 as better options than Baker to play alongside Kalas.

Baker was very good in the beginning when he came here. After a while he was often injuried. As someone else said: we van not rely on him. Baker, Wright or Moore at the moment. My bet is Moore play with Kalas. The deal with Webster is fantastic in economic way. We have made very good deals with players but in another way I  offcause wanted Webster to stay.

Much more than just losing a CB, we've lost a player who is vital to the way we play. 

It's a bit like when we lost Reid, he was vital to the way we played, we missed him a lot last season. 

We have to replace Webster with someone equally as comfortable on the ball, Van Der Hoorn would be ideal. 

I have a feeling we'll be very direct to Famara on Sunday, and Leeds will love that.  

38 minutes ago, Br1stolCityBoy said:

That's not quite true. We were already in the top division when Arsenal wanted Richie and Merrick. But who cares that is history..

No, that's wrong. City were vying for promotion from Division 2 when the offer was made. To confirm it, one only has to listen to the start of Brian Moore's commentary of City's FIRST match after regaining top flight status against Arsenal at Highbury and he says that last season Arsenal wanted Merrick and Ritchie, while Merrick and Ritchie are shown in the pre match warm up.

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

Probably end up with someone like Kieffer Moore

When Kalas and Dasilva went back from their loans at the end of last season, did we expect to replace them with players of their quality?

I know it was different, in particular because we had the pre-agreement for Dasilva with Chelsea but even so did anyone expect us to pay a club record for a centre half?

The only difference with a new striker is that every club is looking for just the same as us i.e. a proven 15-20 gaol a season player. They don't grow on trees and even if they are available and even though we have money available, there are other clubs who have greater spending power than us and that type of player will be being looked at by lower premier league clubs as well.

Archived