IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

25 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Aye it's good money - no one can argue with that. But then, we probably had a better chance of getting to the Prem with him in the team.

Which of these gives us the "better chance of getting to the Prem":

- A team with outstanding defensive players but average attacking ones (i.e. last year's team)?

- Or a team with an average Championship defence but outstanding attackers?

I think the latter gives us a better chance and the sale of Webster for silly money might just enable us to afford an outstanding striker or two.  

5 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Much more than just losing a CB, we've lost a player who is vital to the way we play. 

It's a bit like when we lost Reid, he was vital to the way we played, we missed him a lot last season. 

We have to replace Webster with someone equally as comfortable on the ball, Van Der Hoorn would be ideal. 

I have a feeling we'll be very direct to Famara on Sunday, and Leeds will love that.  

I agree what you say about Webster and this is one of the reasons why Baker is not an ideal replacement for him.

18 minutes ago, Barney red said:

Sincerely hope we have a plan in place for this. Weve sold about 30 million this year and spent a fraction of that amount.

Problem is weve lost our best centre half and not addressed our main weakness of scoring goals.

I hope we have deals in place for these positions or were going to either pay a lot or make do with what we have which isn't good enough for top 6.

As things stand right now, we've actually sold for £15m and bought £16m....so while you're right that we've spent a fraction of the amount we've sold at, that fraction is around 53/50....  Not sure how much else you want?!? 

We can hardly spend money we haven't received!

Stupid decision and literally one day before Leeds game. I honestly feel this could be our shot at an outside promotion team out of the window. 

Now we need a fantastic center back signing aswell as a statement striker. 

I'm putting us top half of mid table, no play off spot unless we have some big signings lined up. 

33 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Aye it's good money - no one can argue with that. But then, we probably had a better chance of getting to the Prem with him in the team. By the sound of it, we've even missed out on getting Clarke from Brighton. 

It may have lessened our chance of promotion.

Yet it may have improved us by end of transfer window so that we are a more rounded squad in all parts and thus given us an even better opportunity.

And it may also be that LJ and his team consider that with Wright, Kalas, Baker, Vyner and Moore, we have enough depth and strength in that position. We may not agree with that but if that is their decision, we have to trust their judgement.

9 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Still dont understand why we are not taking a player or two plus cash from brighton ? 

Same as kelly to bournemouth they must have fringe players that we could take as a part ex , 

Maybe we preferred the money more than any possible players? I can’t think of anyone realistically from either Bournemouth or Brighton that I would of had & you also have to factor in if any possible players want to give up the Premier League life?

3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

- A team with outstanding defensive players but average attacking ones (i.e. last year's team)?

I think the latter gives us a better chance and the sale of Webster for silly money might just enable us to afford an outstanding striker or two.  

I disagree personally - an average defence wouldn't stand a chance against most top-half championship teams, impacting on the confidence of the whole team.

And anyway, I don't think we'll get any 'outstanding' attackers. 

2 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

As things stand right now, we've actually sold for £15m and bought £16m....so while you're right that we've spent a fraction of the amount we've sold at, that fraction is around 53/50....  Not sure how much else you want?!? 

We can hardly spend money we haven't received!

I said I hope we have a plan in place ie signings lined up prices agreed or they will be hiked due to our income

15 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Nobody leaves the club without a sell on clause, Mark Ashton said so in a interview a while back .

You’re right there will always be a sell on %, I just hope we have included a high %. Which I imagine isn’t easy with the fee already being paid. If we had a 10% that would be the norm for most transfer deals, If we manage to get 20% then we could be looking at around an extra 8m+ or so in the future.

Likely that those finer details (sell on % and add on installments) were the hold up since Tuesday when the bid was first announced.

5 minutes ago, Br1stolCityBoy said:

I'm not going to argue, but I'm pretty sure it was after our 1st season up there where Richie and Merrick had a brilliant season. We lost Cheesley to that knee injury and Richie was brilliant. Merrick also marked Malcolm McDonald out of both games. The away game was the season opener. As I said it doesn't matter, its history.

They were having a brilliant season in div.2, hence Arsenal's interest.

That team had grown up together and were determined to achieve promotion together - the Bristolian Captain was not about to jump ship.

We were already well placed when the offer from Arsenal came in, and of course the players' confidence in reaching div.1 with City proved well founded.

Ritchie had recently scored a televised hat trick against York when the bids came in iirc.; Merrick's class and potential had already been on display for some time.

That Arsenal away win may well be history but those of us at Highbury that day will never forget it.

1 minute ago, Steve Watts said:

I know, but you seemed to be complaining about our spending....which as things stand is huge!!!!

No complaints. Hes an outstanding centre half and deserves his chance it's an amazing bit of business to turn that profit in a year. However if we are aiming to get into the premier league which I assume is the plan we need to plan for these eventualities, something we dont always do.  We play Leeds sunday without a 22m centre half.

20 minutes ago, Unan said:

My main worry is who starts Sunday 

I would go with Moore. It's his time to step up. From what I've seen pre season he looks stronger and really confident. Don't forget when we picked him up he was highly thought of and plenty of others were after his signature. Remember he was good enough to play for England through all the youth levels up to under 20's and captained the under 19's. He's 22 now and has plenty of games behind him. He's been part of the West Ham set up and was outstanding for Lens. His time has arrived. Give him his chance.

5 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I know you're only asking but I hope we don't try and rush someone over the line simply to play them on Sunday 

Agree. But would be good if we could get one or two in. If we can't then not the end of the world.

4 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Probably the £30kpw

Liam Moore it is then

25 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

you are wrong, twice we had an average championship defence but had outstanding attacking players we almost got relegated

Fulham were  the same, they almost got relegated,

fantastic defense will get you promoted 

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

you are wrong, twice we had an average championship defence but had outstanding attacking players we almost got relegated

It's hard to argue against. Look at what Cardiff did 

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

First priority with Webster cash is a top striker. We have enough quality in the club now to cover the CH position....IMHO.

Archived