IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

you are wrong, twice we had an average championship defence but had outstanding attacking players we almost got relegated

Fulham were  the same, they almost got relegated,

fantastic defense will get you promoted 

Agreed. Arsenal famously went unbeaten a whole season, won the Premier league and practically won every game 1-0 in doing it. Yes, they had Henry up front but their defence was central to the whole season............really cant see us finding a star CB between now and the window closing so we’d better hope Taylor Moore really shows his calibre ! 

1 minute ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Unless Brighton are paying more up front now rather than installments over 3 - 4 years?

Maybe, good point.

With all the intricacies of add ons at either end of this deal, I doubt we’ll ever really know the true extent. 

Let’s say we ended up paying Ipswich the full £8m fee and Brighton paid us £18m.

We then own Ipswich 25% of profit, so £2.5m.

That leaves us with a worst case scenario profit of £7.5m. Having Webster for a year has paid for Kalas, at the very least.

More likely is we’ve paid around £5m for Webster and Ipswich have a 10% sell on, giving us a profit of £11.7m after we’ve given Ipswich a £1.3m sell on.

Not bad really, either way.

33 minutes ago, Spike said:

Stupid decision and literally one day before Leeds game. I honestly feel this could be our shot at an outside promotion team out of the window. 

Now we need a fantastic center back signing aswell as a statement striker. 

I'm putting us top half of mid table, no play off spot unless we have some big signings lined up. 

Is this a copy and paste comment from last season when we sold Flint? Look how that turned out. 

Trust the plan.

29 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

As things stand right now, we've actually sold for £15m and bought £16m....so while you're right that we've spent a fraction of the amount we've sold at, that fraction is around 53/50....  Not sure how much else you want?!? 

We can hardly spend money we haven't received!

Kelly/Webster /Mo/...think that alone is valued at around £41m if all contract expectations are met ...(sold £15m?)

33 minutes ago, Spike said:

Stupid decision and literally one day before Leeds game. I honestly feel this could be our shot at an outside promotion team out of the window. 

Now we need a fantastic center back signing aswell as a statement striker. 

I'm putting us top half of mid table, no play off spot unless we have some big signings lined up. 

Well, it's actually literally two days before the Leeds game. 

I might be in the minority here, but if Webster goes (still absolutely nothing official) I would be more than happy if we didn't sign another CB and spent the money on a striker/midfielder instead. We have Baker, Wright, Vyner and Moore who aren't exactly shoddy replacements. Moore in particular I'd like to see given a run in the side. 

This is ultimately very disappointing to lose a great player in Webster, but his head had clearly been turned by the lure of the Premier league, and it's crazy wages, hence why he was dreadful against palarse in preseason. I've stated on here that he shouldn't go for anything less than £25,000,000, and when ashton and the board stated a figure of £30,000,000, one could only assume to be knocked back and get around £25m. To get 18m +4 is a shade disappointing. This is a massive week for the club, and we look worse off at this moment in time. Two new strikers, as in a target man and a pacy out and out striker is a must, followed by a new RB and Centre half. Make or break time now. 

I would just like to wish Adam Webster all the best for the future in the top flight with Brighton, and really hope it works out for him, and does well. 

3 minutes ago, Sturny said:

You think we'll find an improvement from Webster?

People seem to be taking for granted that we will. It's unlikely and as I said before, we will be slightly weaker in the short term and that may show in our upcoming fixtures, before our replacement can bed in. Seems like common sense really, yet a few idiots saw the need to post a rubbish reaction.

17 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

If we turned down £20m from Villa, I’d be surprised if we took £18m from Brighton, unless Webster made it clear he wanted to leave.

Or unless we really wanted to pi55 Villa off - yet again! :) 

1 minute ago, bcdc said:

Why on earth are so many assuming it is £18 + 4 mill fee, on the basis of a single tweet  from a Sun (!) journalist?

The Sun that said Palmer was coming on loan?

59 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

With Webster gone we are down our best defender and haven’t addressed the lack of goals, however I’m sure LJ is fully aware of this (how could he not be?) so hopefully they have a Tammy/Kodjia type ready to go!!

All about opinions, but imho, Kalas is the better defender, Webster a lesser defender (still bloody good) but the better on the ball (with Kalas no mug either, so overshadowed by Webster).  They are a very good combination, granted.

If we can get someone who can defend as well, if not better, but can play a bit (Hector and Moore fit that qualification), then actually we could be stronger!  Why?

Because for all of Webster’s forays forward, we lose Pack from midfield as he always sits in, and Webster can end up running into dead-ends.  We actually lose a bit of shape when he does this, and we don’t create overloads either.  I think it looks better than it actually is effective.

Don't get me wrong, I’ll be a bit gutted that he’s leaving, but I also see the opportunity it offers too.

55 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

2 days until the season starts and we need a CB, RB, DM, ST.... oh. 

Lucky the season is 46 games long.  Kalas said that.

We need to show a bit of trust in LJ / MA.  They e been pretty good over the last year!

I would also like to see Taylor Moore given his chance.  You never know whether you are going to get outstanding or dismal from Baker and Wright doesn't look suited to the left side.

Taylor Moore has always been a ball playing centre back so he's the most obvious replacement for Webster. The only concern from Lee Johnson was that centre backs need to be prepared to get their nose broken!   It was his way of saying that Taylor wasn't quite physical enough or prepared to do the basics.  Judging by the way he has bulked up and the positive feedback from his time at Southend, it looks like he has addressed that. 

LJ quite rightly likes to  'big up' his players and before Taylor Moore was loaned out he said he was more like Bobbly Moore'.  That's pushing it a bit but we could have another high quality ball playing centre half who now has the necessary physicality. Just a pity he hasn't had a few more pre-season run-outs with Kalas to see how well they combine.  

A quality defensive midfielder in front to help the defence plus a 20 a season forward would be on my wish list rather than another centre half.

37 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I disagree personally - an average defence wouldn't stand a chance against most top-half championship teams, impacting on the confidence of the whole team.

And anyway, I don't think we'll get any 'outstanding' attackers. 

If we spend Kalas-type money on a  new centre half but only half that on a new no.9, I'll be disappointed.

Imo, better to spend 2 million on a centre-half (West Brom bought Ajayi - a tall, ball playing centre half like Webster - for that amount the other day) and 4 times that on a fox in the box.

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

If we spend Kalas-type money on a  new centre half but only half that on a new no.9, I'll be disappointed.

Imo, better to spend 2 million on a centre-half (West Brom bought Ajayi - a tall, ball playing centre half like Webster - for that amount the other day) and 4 times that on a fox in the box.

If we hurry up and sell Taylor, COD and Watkins, we could probably afford both

9 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

You're really Ivor Guy aren't you AG.

Who? 

7 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

I would also like to see Taylor Moore given his chance.  You never know whether you are going to get outstanding or dismal from Baker and Wright doesn't look suited to the left side.

Taylor Moore has always been a ball playing centre back so he's the most obvious replacement for Webster. The only concern from Lee Johnson was that centre backs need to be prepared to get their nose broken!   It was his way of saying that Taylor wasn't quite physical enough or prepared to do the basics.  Judging by the way he has bulked up and the positive feedback from his time at Southend, it looks like he has addressed that. 

LJ quite rightly likes to  'big up' his players and before Taylor Moore was loaned out he said he was more like Bobbly Moore'.  That's pushing it a bit but we could have another high quality ball playing centre half who now has the necessary physicality. Just a pity he hasn't had a few more pre-season run-outs with Kalas to see how well they combine.  

A quality defensive midfielder in front to help the defence plus a 20 a season forward would be on my wish list rather than another centre half.

Totally agree. As an 18 year old at Lens he was subject of a £6 million bid from Lille which they turned down as they wanted 10. Clearly he was an exceptional youngster. Get him in v Leeds. 

42 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

you are wrong, twice we had an average championship defence but had outstanding attacking players we almost got relegated

To clarify, I'm talking about a defence that's Championship standard, just not outstanding.

Not one with Gus Caesar and Lewin Nytangle at centre-half.

Personally, I'd be happy if we'd bought Ajayi from Rotherham for £2m and then spent  a shed-load on a goalscorer.

Archived