IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

15 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Moore would be targeted mercilessly by Leeds and they'd win, it's not the time to throw him in.

Kalas and Baker for me.  At least both are hard as nails and won't take any of the Leeds shite.

Not sure I'd class "hard as nails" as my prime requirement for a centre half.

Moore is a ball-playing central defender, much in the same mould as Webster. I'd quite like Leeds to target him as I really don't think they'd get much change from him.

I'm aware that I'm sticking my neck on the line somewhat in my support of Moore, but I honestly think that given the chance he'll have an outstanding season for us this year.

1 minute ago, jellyred said:

Was he the one everyone hoped we would get as part of the deal?

It was a name I had seen mentioned numerous times yes. They have space for an incoming, only a matter of time now I think. 

20 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

We've signed an awful lot of guff over the last few years considering it's a 'plan' 

And we’ve also improved our league position for five years in a row. So maybe, just maybe, they actually know more about running a football club than we do?  

3 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Moore is a ball-playing central defender, much in the same mould as Webster. I'd quite like Leeds to target him as I really don't think they'd get much change from him.

I'm aware that I'm sticking my neck on the line somewhat in my support of Moore, but I honestly think that given the chance he'll have an outstanding season for us this year.

I said the same thing earlier in the thread, would like to see what Moore can do

Its a shame the window closes just after the season starts, as I would like to have seen what Taylor Moore could do as Webs replacement, I think they are very similar players, and think he will be good given time to get use to the championship. The problem is it would be such a gamble to go into the season without having tried him first over a number of games, although I suppose we still have sicknote (I stubbed my toe so I can have Christmas off) and Wright for cover. This could work but not sure fans would find very acceptable and will quickly turn if the gamble went wrong.

4 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Perhaps people have seen him more than me as I've never seen these attributes displayed.  In fact last time I saw him was at RB and looking a bit scatty and nervous.

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I'm talking about a defence that's Championship standard, just not outstanding.

Not one with Gus Caesar and Lewin Nytangle at centre-half.

Personally, I'd be happy if we'd bought Ajayi from Rotherham for £2m and then spent  a shed-load on a goalscorer.

The same Ajayi that signed for West Brom a couple of weeks ago?

2 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

I think so too. We have stuck with him for a couple of years now and he has taken some ‘unglamorous’ loan moves too, which shows he wants to learn. He always looked young and happy, always had a smile on his face, not really the look of a tough defender, but don’t be fooled.

I was surprised how he had changed physically, really developed height and stature. I thought he made a real impact in both boxes against Palace. 

I’m with you, I think we have quite a player in Taylor Moore.

1 minute ago, RedM said:

I think so too. We have stuck with him for a couple of years now and he has taken some ‘unglamorous’ loan moves too, which shows he wants to learn. He always looked young and happy, always had a smile on his face, not really the look of a tough defender, but don’t be fooled.

I was surprised how he had changed physically, really developed height and stature. I thought he made a real impact in both boxes against Palace. 

I'd love this to be true!

40 minutes ago, vicky10 said:

Kelly/Webster /Mo/...think that alone is valued at around £41m if all contract expectations are met ...(sold £15m?)

I'd forgotten about Mo.....

And my point was that we haven't actually sold Webster yet, so could hardly include that when saying that we've only spent a fraction of what we've sold for.  Like I said, you can't spend money you don't have.

40 minutes ago, Sturny said:

You think we'll find an improvement from Webster?

Or someone who could be as good as or better in other ways? Why not. Webster has been fantastic but he wasnt invincible and I doubt many thought he'd be an improvement over what Flint had to offer at the time.

Let's wait and see.

With Palmer in the team dont think we will be so easy to read this season. Semenyo, Eliasson , Smodicz, Palmer, Odowda, we have many creative players. Dont forget Weimann, think he will be better this season. He runs and want the ball, we have the players now that can feed him. Famara score his goals and Im optimistic. The new gk Im a bit worried about, FF and Mäenpää fiels more safe. Hope my vibes are wrong and the new gk is very good.

13 minutes ago, RedM said:

This.....  He's an absolute unit!  Was almost unrecognisable from the last time we saw him in a City shirt

4 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Or someone who could be as good as or better in other ways? Why not. Webster has been fantastic but he wasnt invincible and I doubt many thought he'd be an improvement over what Flint had to offer at the time.

Let's wait and see.

Wait and see for sure. But it's still a hell of an ask! I'm sure LJ and MA went into this window thinking about back ups for Webster tho 

19 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

The price is going down, Sky's earlier headline was £22 million not its £20, by the time the days out we will be paying them to take him off our hands at this rate of deflation

There's only one conclusion to draw from this: Brighton are currently watching a video of the Palace friendly!

13 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

The price is going down, Sky's earlier headline was £22 million not its £20, by the time the days out we will be paying them to take him off our hands at this rate of deflation

Yesterday the press were saying the issue was the £5m extra and it's structure, maybe we got £2m extra now, up to £22m up front and £3m in the structure that Brighton were looking for. Bit of a win for both parties.

37 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

We've signed an awful lot of guff over the last few years considering it's a 'plan' 

And that's football right? This isn't football manager it's real life. If every player we signed was perfect and a worldy, I doubt our scouts/decision makers would be at this club.  Be realistic, yes we've signed some that haven't worked out, others that haven't worked out yet, but also some that have been fantastic, have helped to raise this clubs profile and made us a bucket load of profit recently.

So, yeah, I trust the plan

38 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

In terms of centre halves we've signed the likes of Moore, Flint, Baker, Kalas and Webster. Along with bringing through Kelly and Vyner.     Pretty awful guff that. 

2 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

There's only one conclusion to draw from this: Brighton are currently watching a video of the Palace friendly!

Going by comments on that game, perhaps they'll pay us to keep him then!?

Seriously though, it's only a matter of time, and to be fair it's one we've been expecting since the first rumour surfaced (if not before). It is a shame but if it then enables us to move forward with a forward, holding midfielder, and maybe a right back or centre back on loan, then it's a good deal.

This is how you build year upon year without throwing stupid money about and becoming self sufficient. If this goes through, and the positions we hope are filled, then by the end of the window we wouldn't have spent loads despite having spent loads, as most of the outgoings are covered by the incomings!

If however the positions aren't filled, then we will have a problem....

Archived