IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

2 hours ago, Loco Rojo said:

Is this a copy and paste comment from last season when we sold Flint? Look how that turned out. 

Trust the plan.

Actually I was ok with Flint leaving, we had someone lined up who had a lot of promise and as I said, unless we have someone lined up it's going to have an impact.

Flint was never strong at the back, he was ok but he offered something on set pieces, what we lost there we improved on ten fold in making the defence stronger. This year is different, we've gone from having the best center back pairing in the league to having half of it. Baker is not as good as Webster by a long shot and Wright is at best a back up player.

We genuinely need a good CB to come in and replace Webster and we still remain short a top notch striker. 

2 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Well, it's actually literally two days before the Leeds game. 

I might be in the minority here, but if Webster goes (still absolutely nothing official) I would be more than happy if we didn't sign another CB and spent the money on a striker/midfielder instead. We have Baker, Wright, Vyner and Moore who aren't exactly shoddy replacements. Moore in particular I'd like to see given a run in the side. 

Baker won't play a full season and is not as good as Webster, Wright is a backup player at best, Vyner and Moore both are still nowhere near ready to be part of a promotion winning Championship side although both show enough promise for the future.

1 minute ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I bet you were saying this/as cheerfully optimistic in 1980, 1981, even 1982!...... and May 1990, May 1999, May 2008, May 2013. When Joe Jordan left, Coppell buggered off, SO'D was at his sodding most SO'Dawful. . How do you do it?

Yeah, we dont exactly have a history which proves we never bugger it up!

2 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

If we would have wanted this guy, we would have got him as part of the deal.

The fact we haven't got him suggests we have someone better lined up.

My thinking too tbh. If BHA desperately want Webster then you’d think we’d have got him as part of the deal if we wanted him. 

51 minutes ago, hodge said:

Would try seeing if they fancied selling him

Sign any more from then and we will be signing "Blue is the colour" at AG and renaming The Lansdown "The Shed"! :shocking: 

11 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I bet you were saying this/as cheerfully optimistic in 1980, 1981, even 1982!...... and May 1990, May 1999, May 2008, May 2013. When Joe Jordan left, Coppell buggered off, SO'D was at his sodding most SO'Dawful. . How do you do it?

Think alcohol has something to do with it!

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Sign any more from then and we will be signing "Blue is the colour" at AG and renaming The Lansdown "The Shed"! :shocking: 

I don't think they sing that much anymore, 'Pride of Laaandan' is their pre match song according to my glory hunting Chelsea supporting son. :angry:

4 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

A strong defence is the foundation of any successful team. In Kalas and Webster we had arguably the best defensive pairing we'd had in years. The main thing that stopped us getting over the finishing line last season was a lack of goals. So it made sense to try and hold on to Webster for another season, while strengthening our attack. 

Norwich conceded 57 goals, 4 more than us, last season (and West Brom, 62, and Aston Villa, 61, let in more too). You've got to score some, as well. 

I wouldn't doubt (maybe you would) that we tried to hold on to him but once it became clear that he wanted to move up to the Prem, we then took the best course of action available to us.

Players have the power now, unlike in AD's era. We have to operate in the football world as it is, now, in 2019, not as we wish it would be, or as it once was.

2 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Norwich conceded 57 goals, 4 more than us, last season (and West Brom, 62, and Aston Villa, 61, let in more too). You've got to score some, as well. 

I wouldn't doubt (maybe you would) that we tried to hold on to him but once it became clear that he wanted to move up to the Prem, we then took the best course of action available to us.

Players have the power now, unlike in AD's era. We have to operate in the football world as it is, now, in 2019, not as we wish it would be, or as it once was.

At that sort of price, I doubt if his wishes even came into it. As soon as this sort of money got talked about he was going if he liked it or not. 

What this transfer also shows is that through us there is a pathway to the Premier League and we won't stand in a players way.

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Scott McKenna a shout really. Been speculation around him all summer with champ clubs offering 3m which they have refused. We have the funds to bid more than that and surely wage would not be outrageous. I like the idea of McKenna for 4.5-5m and 10-15k a week. He looks very good and still young(almost 2 years younger than Webster). 

But lots on here dismiss the Scottish Premiership as a ‘pub league’ so surely all players from up there are useless?!

Archived