IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

7 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

At that sort of price, I doubt if his wishes even came into it. As soon as this sort of money got talked about he was going if he liked it or not. 

What this transfer also shows is that through us there is a pathway to the Premier League and we won't stand in a players way.

Yes, good point. I'm sure Johnson wanted to keep Webster the footballer (and flog Baker and Taylor for £22m) but SL and MA and the "plan" dictate that that sort of money, that profit in 12 months, allowing us to strengthen more than one area of the team, can produce a stronger team than 2018/19's, which could only manage 8th (not good enough for promotion).

2 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Yes, good point. I'm sure Johnson wanted to keep Webster the footballer (and flog Baker and Taylor for £22m) but SL and MA and the "plan" dictate that that sort of money, that profit in 12 months, allowing us to strengthen more than one area of the team, can produce a stronger team than 2018/19's, which could only manage 8th (not good enough for promotion).

I would have loved to have kept him aswell.

But, if we had kept him, thats effectively like us signing a CB for 22 million + and we just wouldn't do that, can't even spend that on a proven striker.

For all of you sad that he looks to be going and our squad will be weaker, for those who can't believe the transfer fee and for those debating if we have a ready made replacement already in the squad, spare a thought.

A thought for Ipswich. For the owners and the fans. People who thought they had a half tidy defender who was rarely fit and who probably thought they had one over us when we lumped out strong money on him.

Turns out, he was fit, and he can indeed play.

That is one hell of a 12 month return.

KERCHING!

4 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Maybe we preferred the money more than any possible players? I can’t think of anyone realistically from either Bournemouth or Brighton that I would of had & you also have to factor in if any possible players want to give up the Premier League life?

Fully undeestand Tipps69 , however clarke has just gone on loan to derby ? 

If we are not signing a cb on a perm as a replacement surely him coming the otherway would of made sense?

3 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Fair point. Guess we'll see... 

You got a bit cheerful/optimistic here, 3 hours ago, or at least, not being concrete, certain, about the disaster inevitably ahead and awaiting us. What were you doing at that point (about midday)? Is it legal/broadcast able? Can you do it more often? I think you enjoyed a boost of dopamine from somewhere and came over all open-minded.

Not that it has lasted, but anyway...

29 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Fully undeestand Tipps69 , however clarke has just gone on loan to derby ? 

If we are not signing a cb on a perm as a replacement surely him coming the otherway would of made sense?

The indication from someone clearly in the know, is that we are looking at someone better than Clarke as Webster has always been seen as better than Clarke.

And while we already have 4 other options at CB, bringing in another on loan that isn’t proven at this level seems pretty pointless to me, especially if they would of affected the monetary value of the Webster deal?

12 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

The indication from someone clearly in the know, is that we are looking at someone better than Clarke as Webster has always been seen as better than Clarke.

And while we already have 4 other options at CB, bringing in another on loan that isn’t proven at this level seems pretty pointless to me, especially if would of affected the monetary value of the Webster deal?

When Flint left we had no idea that a replacement of Websters potential and stature was coming to replace him............great scouting!!  So i have every faith that the reason we have not gone for Clarke is because we have a better option?   I had never heard of Webster until he signed, so hopefully City will turn another gem up?  Heres hoping!.

29 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

You got a bit cheerful/optimistic here, 3 hours ago, or at least, not being concrete, certain, about the disaster inevitably ahead and awaiting us. What were you doing at that point (about midday)? Is it legal/broadcast able? Can you do it more often? I think you enjoyed a boost of dopamine from somewhere and came over all open-minded.

Not that it has lasted, but anyway...

I realised there isn't much point arguing about something until we see how it pans out. I'll give it a few weeks :laugh:

6 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Leicester in for Webster at £30m?

I truly don’t get it. They have a solid pairing between the 3 of Morgan, Benkovic and Evans. Why spend 45m on Dunk or Tarkowski if you could buy Webster at 20-25m? I get experience in the league but all of those were good championship performers at one point too. 

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I bet you were saying this/as cheerfully optimistic in 1980, 1981, even 1982!...... and May 1990, May 1999, May 2008, May 2013. When Joe Jordan left, Coppell buggered off, SO'D was at his sodding most SO'Dawful. . How do you do it?

Now is 2019 and thats it. What have been in the past have been. COYR!!!

19 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Hasn't he gone YET?

What have they got , a Franciscan monk copying out the contract on vellum ?

Adam is currently checking that his signing - on fee is correct, he demanded it in cash so Brighton have emptied every ATM in the city and surrounding area.

37 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I truly don’t get it. They have a solid pairing between the 3 of Morgan, Benkovic and Evans. Why spend 45m on Dunk or Tarkowski if you could buy Webster at 20-25m? I get experience in the league but all of those were good championship performers at one point too. 

I don't get why United are spending 80 million on Maguire when they could just get Webby for 22 million? ?

1 minute ago, Up The City! said:

I don't get why United are spending 80 million on Maguire when they could just get Webby for 22 million? ?

You joke , but not farviff the truth

Of course they want someone who they know can perform in Premier League but Webster has the potential to be a better player than HM 

(IMHO)

3 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I think it is a valid point but less so for United. With how they are recruiting I am surprised the didn’t go in for Kelly tbh. 

43 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Morgan getting a bit past his use by date?

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Of course they want someone who they know can perform in Premier League but Webster has the potential to be a better player than HM 

(IMHO)

I think to some extent clubs like United also have to do the whole 'marquee signing' thing

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

(IMHO)

If he performs well in the premier in the next season or two I could see Man City being interested. He is the type of CB that Pep loves.

Archived