IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think it is a valid point but less so for United. With how they are recruiting I am surprised the didn’t go in for Kelly tbh. 

Bournemouth did a smashing job coming in early with a high bid, no messing about and got their man. 

If they didn't do that then yea your right bigger clubs could have came in for him.

2 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

If he performs well in the premier in the next season or two I could see Man City being interested. He is the type of CB that Pep loves.

I have a feeling that within s couple of years Webster or Kelly will be moving for 60/ 70 million 

My money on Webster atm

6 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I don't get why United are spending 80 million on Maguire when they could just get Webby for 22 million? ?

I said before United should have gone for Webster. I look at United side and it looks like they need a number of 80-90 million pound signings. 

But there are only so many of them even United can afford. They would be better off buying the next Maguire and then having more money to spend in other positions.

10 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Morgan getting a bit past his use by date?

Can’t argue it but still think useful and a leader. Just saying strong enough they could take a chance on Webster. Especially as everyone linked or gone(Dunk, Tarkowski and Maguire) was a championship player a few years ago

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Think alcohol has something to do with it!

Alcohol or not. We have done big buiseness. We are a club in progress 18 17 11 and 8 place last season. With or without alcohol thats fact. Im  still confident we can make it. Webster is good but  he is not bigger than the Club. COYR!!!

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I said before United should have gone for Webster. I look at United side and it looks like they need a number of 80-90 million pound signings. 

But there are only so many of them even United can afford. They would be better off buying the next Maguire and then having more money to spend in other positions.

The transfer market is nuts tbh. Still bargains to be had of course, as WBA and Cardiff showed- as well as our Chelsea deals but it isn't easy/

Maguire £85m v Umtiti £46m or so rumour for the latter was.

In Europe, 19 year old CB with CL experience with Galatasaray, played for Stuttgart in Bundesliga and CL with Galatasaray and good ratings- 15m euros relegation release clause.

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Especially as they gave Smalling and Jones (bafflingly) new contracts.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

the problem being a managers job depends on results, so do you gamble and bring in a player that is maybe ok and save millions or do you go for a known quantity, especially when you can afford it. Bit like most fans on here, how many will accept Webster being replaced by a L1 defender? we have the issue with Moore who we know a lot about, but if LJ goes into the season with him and it does not work out, the place will be full of why did we not go and get ???? with all that money.

2 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Alcohol or not. We have done big buiseness. We are a club in progress 18 17 11 and 8 place last season. With or without alcohol thats fact. Im  still confident we can make it. Webster is good but  he is not bigger than the Club. COYR!!!

Only joking Tommy! :)

Completely agree about the progress the club has, and is making. It's not easy replacing a player like Webster but I think the club is getting much better at recruitment, and suspect they have had irons in the fire for some time in anticipation of Webster's departure.

All part of the club's planing and the way we are doing things these days.

Yet again sell our best players fekin waste of time. You want to get to premier then keep your best players. We dont need the money!!!!!!!!!! And lansdown dont want to get there anyway. Same old bull. Its not about money its about getting to the promised land. Best centre back we had in years and your all idiots if you think this is good buisness 

3 minutes ago, Vil1 said:

Yet again sell our best players fekin waste of time. You want to get to premier then keep your best players. We dont need the money!!!!!!!!!! And lansdown dont want to get there anyway. Same old bull. Its not about money its about getting to the promised land. Best centre back we had in years and your all idiots if you think this is good buisness 

I agree it's not desirable and sedling him and Kelly in the same summer is a bog blow- I assumed this would be THE big push summer, the go for it.

However, if we could get in those 3-4 to help us move forwards, and tbh I think whether in loans or wages or fees- or a mix of all 3, most of this has to be given to LJ incidentally then maybe...

FFP remains a factor however.

2 minutes ago, Vil1 said:

Dont sell your best players if you want to get to the premier. Simples!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't seen a better centre bk in years. Greedy lansdown

Have seen other clubs sell to progress and reinvest well- but there has to be a "go for it" year where you both strengthen and hold onto what you have.

I was hoping this would be it- with Webster certainly.

1 minute ago, Vil1 said:

Dont sell your best players if you want to get to the premier. Simples!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't seen a better centre bk in years. Greedy lansdown

How do we finance the players coming in . How do Bristol City turn down 22 million. Serious question 

15 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Only joking Tommy! :)

Completely agree about the progress the club has, and is making. It's not easy replacing a player like Webster but I think the club is getting much better at recruitment, and suspect they have had irons in the fire for some time in anticipation of Webster's departure.

All part of the club's planing and the way we are doing things these days.

Garland is not Tommy

@bristolcitysweden is Tommy

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Have seen other clubs sell to progress and reinvest well- but there has to be a "go for it" year where you both strengthen and hold onto what you have.

I was hoping this would be it- with Webster certainly.

Take your point Mr P and I am sure if it was £12 - 15m he would not be going. But we can’t turn down the money offered and don’t forget the player in all of this, it’s almost certain he would want to go.

I don’t think we can judge if we are ‘going for it’ until we see what transpires by Thursday evening.

1 minute ago, ScottishRed said:

Take your point Mr P and I am sure if it was £12 - 15m he would not be going. But we can’t turn down the money offered and don’t forget the player in all of this, it’s almost certain he would want to go.

I don’t think we can judge if we are ‘going for it’ until we see what transpires by Thursday evening.

This is true and I'll hold fire for a bit- it's true, it puts us in a very tricky position this bid this close to the window- I am hoping we have the correct additions lined up minimum. Webster replacement, technically good DCM minimum and fairly prolific striker with technique and movement.

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

How do we finance the players coming in . How do Bristol City turn down 22 million. Serious question 

This is the point.

The club's strategy, if successful, will see us buy young players with potential and see them realise that potential while with us. That is bound to result in interest from bigger and better clubs than us. We would all want their realising their potential to result in promotion, but in this case  Webster's development has been far quicker and greater than anyone could have foreseen and, as you say, how can we turn down such a bid?

At the same time, that same strategy has been us able to buy last season 3 loanees and it could be argued that Kalas, Dasilva and Palmer could be more important in the coming season than the departure of Webster is detrimental.

Just now, Vil1 said:

EIl tell you how lansdown is literally a billonaire. Spend it on a 22 mill forward then fair enough but not the crap french shite we been buying

You mean the Ivorian striker who scored over 20 goals for us in one season then was sold to Villa for £15 million? Or the Senegalese striker who was our top scorer last season?

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Garland is not Tommy

@bristolcitysweden is Tommy

Thanks Bob - Ive just realised my mistake and was about to post a further apology.

Don't want all the Swedes tarred with Tommy's brush!

2 minutes ago, Vil1 said:

EIl tell you how lansdown is literally a billonaire. Spend it on a 22 mill forward then fair enough but not the crap french shite we been buying

Yep, only English game strikers can prosper in the English game- look about a bit.

Diedhiou has a reasonable return and Kodjia was a great success.

1 minute ago, Vil1 said:

Players have contracts just like me and you. About time they start honouring it instead of jumping ship for money. You tell them their staying and thats it. Someone name me a replacement 

This is 2019 not the 60s before Jimmy Hill got the maximum wage scrapped or pre Bosman!

1 minute ago, Vil1 said:

Players have contracts just like me and you. About time they start honouring it instead of jumping ship for money. You tell them their staying and thats it. Someone name me a replacement 

You are a ‘replacement’

:thumbsup:

(you will have to edit your profile yourself though)

4 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

You mean the Ivorian striker who scored over 20 goals for us in one season then was sold to Villa for £15 million? Or the Senegalese striker who was our top scorer last season?

Ye the Ivorian striker that we sold again. As for fammy he cant control a pet hamster let alone a football. Most of his goals were flukes bounced of his foot when trying to control it

5 minutes ago, Vil1 said:

So an employer should have the right to prevent an employee from taking another job?

The retain and transfer system went out with Jimmy Hill and Bosman.

7 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Ye the Ivorian striker that we sold again. As for fammy he cant control a pet hamster let alone a football. Most of his goals were flukes bounced of his foot when trying to control it

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

So an employer should have the right to prevent an employee from taking another job?

The retain and transfer system went out with Jimmy Hill.

Yes that's what a contract is

Just now, Vil1 said:

Obviously that last part isn't true, and obviously we sold him for £15 million. Because you'd be an idiot not to. And we finished higher the next season. What do people not get about the fact that the way we do business now is smart? We could be in so much financial trouble if we help onto our players until they're past their prime and we throw huge sums of money on English players with inflated prices.

Archived