IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

Just now, Vil1 said:

I know that if you sell your best players then you get nowhere. Owel back to me cider

We’re the only football club in the top four divisions in England to increase their league position 5 years in a row. We’ve sold our best players for the past 3/4 years and have got stronger and stronger. I’d leave it to Ashton, Lansdown and Johnson if I were you. 

5 minutes ago, Vil1 said:

I know that if you sell your best players then you get nowhere. Owel back to me cider

I can point out varied clubs here and in Europe as well as us of course, who have sold to progress but they always had that all important go for it year- arguably 2017/18 was one and actually within FFP we could go truly nuts in summer 2020 if we kept our powder pretty dry- however the relative necessary conservatism of others due to said same FFP regs means that this and especially with both Webster and Kelly gone, should IMO be the season!

Just now, Vil1 said:

Oh so you dig out the best goal he scored what about all the misses. You cant be serious anyone who watches him can see. No movement. No touch. No brain

He's scored a few more than 1, as the video showed. 

Don't get me wrong, I would love us to bring in a  goalscorer with a bit of pace. However, the £20m striker to which you refer is someone like Maupey or McBurnie, both of whom are heading to the premier league for £20m fees, and wages likely to be £35m +. Why would either of them chose us over a premier league club and wages well below what they can earn in the premier league?

This isn't about SL not being prepared to put his hand in his pocket and not wanting to get to the premier league ( if you total up the amount he has invested in the club, take a look around the new Ashton Gate and the planned new training ground it might make you think again on that front). It is about the harsh reality of football i  the championship and the financial restrictions placed on owners by the EFL's financial rules.

55 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Only joking Tommy! :)

Completely agree about the progress the club has, and is making. It's not easy replacing a player like Webster but I think the club is getting much better at recruitment, and suspect they have had irons in the fire for some time in anticipation of Webster's departure.

All part of the club's planing and the way we are doing things these days.

No fence, but Im Mikael not Tommy. Always believe, COYR!!!

Just now, Garland-sweden said:

No fence, but Im Mikael not Tommy. Always believe, COYR!!!

I realised afterwards ( thanks to BobBSB!) so apologies to you as well Mikael.

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Bet he could develop and improve in a couple of seasons here ......

oh......

( Being naughty and playing devils advocate here)

As was I Bob - but I suspect you guessed that!

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Yes, that's why Norwich failed so miserably after they sold Maddison. And Sheff U when they sold Brooks.

Come on China, you're not playing fair by quoting facts to support your argument.

17 minutes ago, downendcity said:

While the player is under contract the club can reject any offers for him.

However, back in the real world, just how do you think a young  player would react when he heard that his club had "prevented" him from the chance of  lifetime i.e. playing in the premier league, and of setting himself up for life financially with a salary of £2m+ pa?

In cloud cuckoo land we would all like to think they would react positively with the club pleading for them to give us one more season and then go, especially when the player has a history of injury and could be one injury away from being out for a long period. In reality, it would almost certainly affect the player's mindset, no matter how professionally he tried to react. Are the club going to take that risk when £20m is on the table?

Also, we've just spent £17m give or take, on Kalas, Dasilva, Palmer, Szmodics and Bentley. You want SL to spend really big on a striker, so just where is that money meant to come from? ( In asking that question Im taking a calculated guess that ffp rules are an alien concept to you)

This paragraph pretty much sums up the 'I want everything NOW' attitude that is blighting the modern game. The man is 24 years old and already earning upwards of 10 grand a week ffs. Where's the harm in showing a bit of patience? 

5 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

This paragraph pretty much sums up the 'I want everything NOW' attitude that is blighting the modern game. The man is 24 years old and already earning upwards of 10 grand a week ffs. Where's the harm in showing a bit of patience? 

Because the chance might never come again?

6 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

He might get injured.

3 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Let's say he's got 3 years left on his contract here and on his current contract that would bring him  total of £1.5-1.8m.

Going to Brighton over the next 3 years will probably bring him something around £6-6.5m, possibly more!  That's a life changing difference if you are 44 let alone 24 and should set him up for life.

Given his injury history,  he is always one tackle away from the end of his career, so I can understand why he would want to take the chance when it presents itself and that that decision is not disrespectful towards Bristol City.

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

Why would it never come again? Thought he was meant to be the best defender in the world? 

Leaving aside your hyperbole, he could stay here, have a career ending injury and never get the opportunity again.

I wish the world was different but there you are.

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Let's say he's got 3 years left on his contract here and on his current contract that would bring him  total of £1.5-1.8m.

Going to Brighton over the next 3 years will probably bring him something around £6-6.5m, possibly more!  That's a life changing difference if you are 44 let alone 24 and should set him up for life.

Given his injury history,  he is always one tackle away from the end of his career, so I can understand why he would want to take the chance when it presents itself and that that decision is not disrespectful towards Bristol City.

Mate, you have got to be kidding. It would take me 60 years to earn £1.8million. The only way it's going to 'change his life' is by making a stinking rich man even richer. And he's 24.

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Fair enough, just don't claim to know the FFP rules if you are too busy to read up on them.

Iv got better things to do than read that. Think this cider has gone to my head. Thank you all its a forum we all have an opinion some right some wrong but heyho

Archived