IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

I think I am in a minority of one, but I am pretty relaxed about selling him, and the need to get a replacement lined up asap.

Baker is a great (if injury prone) Championship centre back.

Wright can play centre back.

Moore looks to be developing in to fine young centre back.

Have to wonder as well, just what the influence of Kalas alongside ANY centre back is worth. Could it be that his ability allows other players to perform without fear. And with an upgraded keeper behind them, maybe it's time for one of those 3 to shine.

Obviously, I wouldn't turn down a centre back better than those 3, but it's a position we do have depth of cover in.

Chill peeps, it'll be fine.

Its pretty sickening considering we have lost one of our main cbs one day before the start of the season . Its a little easier seeing him go than say flint as he was only here a season and we've made a great profit! 

He is however even harder then Flint to replace  , if we can get a cb anything near him and a proven goal scorer then it'll all be worth it . 

I do have less expectations for top 6 now (based on current signings) , just thats just being realistic. 

3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Bobby Reid - one good season in a City shirt 10M.

Adam Webster - one good season in a City shirt - 20M.

Who's next?

Man City lose the charity shield and sack Guardiola. Approach made to City for Little Lee and £100 million compensation package negotiated

???

Again excellent money for a talented player. I hope this sends a message to the footballing community that Bristol City is a great platform to take your career forward.

I don't want to be a complete downer on the whole thing but that must be 70 old million in the last year in transfers. I'd like to see us now more aggressive in the transfer market and get those peices we desperately need.

5 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Again excellent money for a talented player. I hope this sends a message to the footballing community that Bristol City is a great platform to take your career forward.

I don't want to be a complete downer on the whole thing but that must be 70 old million in the last year in transfers. I'd like to see us now more aggressive in the transfer market and get those peices we desperately need.

Like Cundy from Bath? ?

Just want to understand if we got a good deal here or not.

Sounded like City put a value of £30mil on the player to stop the chancers from making stupid bids (yes, Villa, I mean you), but probably with the understanding that £20mil+ would see the deal over the line.

Meanwhile, Rovers valued Taylor at £10mil and got 300k for him.

We won, didn't we?

39 minutes ago, chowie said:

We could not have kept him, it seems obvious he wanted to go to Brighton.

He comes from near Brighton so moving back ‘home’ would have been a huge incentive. That’s not say a huge salary increase along with a very decent signing on fee plus joining a PL team were enough on an incentive.

We're a selling club and until such time as we conceivably might compete to reach the top flight (not anytime soon IMHO) that's what we'll remain.

Webster and Kelly deals too good to turn down for a club shipping £20m and upwards a year.

My gripe is yet again under WeeLee this happens the day the season starts. Where's the longer term succession planning? Another close season where fans know we need a minimum two strikers, plus holding and creative midfielder yet the management focus on keepers and development opportunities that rarely materialize. Spent big money on decent players for our level, but only to retain what we had last year where we didn't exactly set the league alight.

I really hope we start like a house on fire such we might attract some decent loanees as should the wheels come off first two games i dread to think how this season might go? I know little of Sammy S but who else is going to 'step-up'?

1 minute ago, BTRFTG said:

We're a selling club and until such time as we conceivably might compete to reach the top flight (not anytime soon IMHO) that's what we'll remain.

Webster and Kelly deals too good to turn down for a club shipping £20m and upwards a year.

My gripe is yet again under WeeLee this happens the day the season starts. Where's the longer term succession planning? Another close season where fans know we need a minimum two strikers, plus holding and creative midfielder yet the management focus on keepers and development opportunities that rarely materialize. Spent big money on decent players for our level, but only to retain what we had last year where we didn't exactly set the league alight.

I really hope we start like a house on fire such we might attract some decent loanees as should the wheels come off first two games i dread to think how this season might go? I know little of Sammy S but who else is going to 'step-up'?

Imagine smashing your transfer fee record and still feeling disheartened by the summer activity. We are weaker than back in May. Trying to be positive but struggling.

2 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Can't spend money you don't have on players you might not need if a transaction isn't completed.

So whilst the timing isn't great, you can hardly ask the other clubs to get their bids in early, just so we have a chance of signing a replacement.

45 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Really is a fantastic deal. No one thought this when we signed injury prone Adam Webster. Bristol City dealing in 20 million plus transfers . Never thought I would see that. How we are growing as a football club is very encouraging 

All going the other way though, be happier when it's us signing players in the £20 million category.

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Can't spend money you don't have on players you might not need if a transaction isn't completed.

So whilst the timing isn't great, you can hardly ask the other clubs to get their bids in early, just so we have a chance of signing a replacement.

Deals are months in the planning and most successful management teams have variant ducks in a row, hence often transfers happen immediately once the key deal goes through. This rarely seems to happen at AG.

15 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Good luck to him, but good chance will be back in Championship next season.  One of my three  teams for the drop from the premier.  Time will tell

yes it didn't work out too well for Bobby and Joe did it (apart from the money).

Archived