IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

4 hours ago, Lucan said:

Are people actually trying to say we are stronger than last year?? 

The mind boggles...

Where has anyone said that?

Man-for-man, our likely starting 11 has gained Szmodics and Bentley but lost Webster. You might say that’s a net zero gain (or worse). But, we have money to play with and the transfer window is still open.

The other thing I would add is that signing the 3 Chelsea players permanently gives us a big advantage in the longer term compared with last season; they’re ours now. If they leave it’ll be on our terms, when we decide, and probably for money. We don’t have the worry of how we replace the loans at the end of the season. This might not be our season, but we are building the foundations of a squad that can compete at the top end of the division beyond the next 12 months, and we are reducing our reliance on loans. It’s a subtle but important step.

At the beginning of the summer we were looking likely to lose Webster and Kelly, and with Kalas and Dasilva returning to Chelsea  we were on the verge of losing 3/4 of our back 4.

Webster is an exceptional talent ( Ive said before, the best Ive seen since Gary Collier) but long term keeping Kalas and Dasilva could be more important. especially allied to the signings of Szmodics and Palmer, all of which could only have happened with Kelly's sale.

If, as we all hope the club does pay out big money to bring in a good striker ( that so many have been crying out for and say that we desperately need) then that purchase will only happen because of the fee received for Webster.

If such a striker does deliver the goods, then I would argue that affording him is more important than keeping Webster would have been.

8 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Can't spend money you don't have on players you might not need if a transaction isn't completed.

So whilst the timing isn't great, you can hardly ask the other clubs to get their bids in early, just so we have a chance of signing a replacement.

Exactly, and there are a whole host of clubs who’d give their right arm to sell one of their players for a tidy sum to launch their recruitment drive.  It’s why it’s been fairly static fees-wise.

If the club HADN'T sold Webster for the fee we've secured I'd have been pissed off. Great player but with those we've secured already we are stronger overall;  another year together and the lads who almost got us into the Top 6 may well do so this time around. If we've another 1 or 2 lined up before the end of the transfer window things might just end up better than this.

Have a bit of optimism lads. All targets will have been lined up, the cards will now hopefully fall into place. I also happen to feel that the acquisitions of Palmer, Szmodics & Rowe are being undervalued by some.

This has always felt like a chain of centre back sales: Maguire to Man United, Dunk to Leicester, Webster to Brighton. The question is do we really need another centre back? Probably not given we have 5 players who feel that is their best position already with club. What we need is a striker, plus midfielder and a right back, but that probably hasn't changed since day 1 of the transfer window. The difference now is that the club can't claim that it doesn't have the money to spend.

Shame he’s gone but until we’re elevated ourselves to the level the likes of Brighton and Bournemouth have, and have the financial firepower to resist fees like we just received, then we will struggle to retain our grade a talent.

It should be noted as a positive that we are now constantly developing both our own players and those we bring in to a level where clubs currently higher up the ‘food chain’ snap them up for big money; both helps the club materially but also in terms of presenting us in a good light to potential recruits.

I will admit to being a little confused over the make up of the squad this year, as have a glut of what are described as ‘attaching midfielders’ while being what could be seen as light up top.

But we were missing Fam for the start of last season, with Taylor having fitness issues, if I recall correctly, so perhaps we’re hoping that the that pair plus Weimann supported by a bunch of creative players will be enough firepower.

Leeds will be a tough early test but almost glad we have that to open with Sky watching on, as if we are going to progress these are the type of match ups we should have the squad relishing.

Hopeful we can continue to progress this season, but that would suggest a genuine shot at playoff football, so preparing for some ups and downs...

On 21/06/2019 at 19:58, RED4LIFE said:

As much as it pains me to say it, I've heard a deal has been agreed with an un-named Prem team for £20m. 

I have heard this from someone who has given me very good info in the past and I know the people at the club he has links with. 

I really hope it isn't true but knowing who this guy knows, I'm kind of thinking it has some legs. 

Time will tell I suppose but thinking rationally there is no way we can turn down that sort of money.

Ahem, if Kid In The Riot can bring up historical posts to prove he was correct, then surely I can too?

Besides, I got kinda nailed for this at the time so feels like a little bit of justification.

Interesting to note that Webster didn't get off the bench Saturday- HOWEVER his move was late in the window like a few of their signings, plus Dan Burn played very well by all accounts and surely has been good in pre season so kept his place- back 3 was Duffy-Dunk-Burn. I'm sure he and a number of other Brighton signings will be eased in- hard to get in a team who got a result like they got Saturday though. Burn in fact MOTM apparently, or at least according to varied social media based Brighton fans.

On 04/08/2019 at 22:23, RED4LIFE said:

Ahem, if Kid In The Riot can bring up historical posts to prove he was correct, then surely I can too?

Besides, I got kinda nailed for this at the time so feels like a little bit of justification.

We can all do that (May 21)! Shame he’s gone though.

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Sadly for him, the first time he`ll get a game will be at the swamp in the League Cup so he can look forward to his first outing being greeted by ninety minutes of `shitheeeeead` being screamed at him.

And whilst doing so they can gaze at him ..........and consider the fact that he’s worth more than their entire Club 

Bricks , mortar, players..........the whole job lot

?

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And whilst doing so they can gaze at him ..........and consider the fact that he’s worth more than their entire Club 

Bricks , mortar, players..........the whole job lot

?

Does that include the mysterious London office and Wally's nice watch?

Archived