Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, YorksRed said:

Rumour today that Man U are after John McGinn for £50m.

If true then Villa will have a lot of money in their hands. Bad for more likely losing Webster but good for extracting the best possible price.

Yeah someone's been out in the sun too long: https://www.skysports.com/football/transfer-paper-talk

'Manchester United are set to launch a sensational £50m bid for Aston Villa's John McGinn that would smash the transfer record for a Scot.'

What's that? A £2.5 million signing, their player of the season, who's never even played in the Prem supposedly has a price tag of £50 million? Surely not.

I'm pretty sure that if Villa fans bite they'll be stating categorically that they should fleece Utd for as close to that amount as they can whilst at the same time failing to see the irony of their reaction to our valuation of Webster. 

I can't wait (well, I can) for Utd fans to swarm Twitter saying Villa should be on their knees and thankful that the mighty Man U are even interested in one of their players and how dare they put that sort of price tag on him. Don't Villa know who they are?

Caveat: I don't believe that there is any truth in the amount as it's from the 'Scottish Sun' 🙄 and is just crazy talk to fill column inches. Is Gregor MacGregor moonlighting up there?

Talking of GMacG I see the Post is saying that Villa are still in talks to sign AW for 20m to 25m. Looks like he's gone. If, big if, there was any truth in the McGinn figure I'd hope we're aware of it and push for closer to the 30m.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, YorksRed said:

Rumour today that Man U are after John McGinn for £50m.

If true then Villa will have a lot of money in their hands. Bad for more likely losing Webster but good for extracting the best possible price.

And villa fans will say he’s worth every penny. But villa fans think we should sell them Webster cheaply. I detest them 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Alan Nixon over on Twitter saying that Villa definitely will go back in for Webster

The higher the bid the more chance him going I guess

I suspect it is now probable that we will sell. In which case best to get it done so we get the replacement I'm sure is lined up ahead of the trip to the States.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

The higher the bid the more chance him going I guess

Yep.....every player has his price.

SL has put a £30m price tag on Webdini so if Villa or any other club are willing to cough up that kind of dough then so long Webdini.

Having watched Webdini all of last season I reckon he’s the most talented CB I’ve ever seen in a City shirt. He’s a real class act and LJ has said that he’d like to build the team around him and that City are no pressure to sell........so you never know he could well still be at AG next season,

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

And villa fans will say he’s worth every penny. But villa fans think we should sell them Webster cheaply. I detest them 

The moronic majority of Villa fans might want to bear this from Gregor in mind and show a bit of respect:

The respective boards of City and Villa get on extremely well, a relationship fostered by the sale of Jonthan Kodjia's move in 2016, Callum Robinson's loan and the arrival of Nathan Baker to the West Country.

With Villa undergoing financial difficulties in the summer of 2017, City agreed to alter the financial commitments of the Baker transfer, paying more money immediately to the club as opposed to staggering over a series of installments.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Yep.....every player has his price.

SL has put a £30m price tag on Webdini so if Villa or any other club are willing to cough up that kind of dough then so long Webdini.

Having watched Webdini all of last season I reckon he’s the most talented CB I’ve ever seen in a City shirt. He’s a real class act and LJ has said that he’d like to build the team around him and that City are no pressure to sell........so you never know he could well still be at AG next season,

LJ knows the realities of the situation. He will be disappointed to lose Webster of course but will deal with it: provided he gets the replacement he wants.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, chinapig said:

LJ knows the realities of the situation. He will be disappointed to lose Webster of course but will deal with it: provided he gets the replacement he wants.

LJs record of recruiting  first team players is excellent based on last seasons evidence. Very few of us had heard of Dasilva, Kalas or Webdini for that matter. 

To think that a year ago some posters were panicking at the loss of Bryan, Flint and Reid..............:cool2:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJs record of recruiting  first team players is excellent based on last seasons evidence. Very few of us had heard of Dasilva, Kalas or Webdini for that matter. 

To think that a year ago some posters were panicking at the loss of Bryan, Flint and Reid..............:cool2:

Surely most fans had at least heard of Kalas and Webster. Both regular championship players before joining us

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

How anyone anymore can doubt the progress we are making - the strides we are taking - on and off the pitch, beggars belief. Whereas once we bought and sold over-the-hill sh1te and mediocrity for no obvious gain, then we progressed to selling players to clubs looking to gain promotion to the Prem (Heaton to Burnley; Baldock to Brighton; Flint to Middlesbrough etc) now we find ourselves selling our finest to clubs probably going to struggle and/or be relegated from the Prem (Reid to Cardiff; Bryan to Fulham; Webster to Villa).

We have even, now, moved into a new dawn for us and begun to flog talent to proper, established Prem clubs not going to be struggling at the bottom of the Prem like plucky Villa (Kelly to Bournemouth).

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Surely most fans had at least heard of Kalas and Webster. Both regular championship players before joining us

Well I know only one City fan that was aware of both Kalas and Webdini before they joined City. He is a bit of a nerd btw.......

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Tomori would be a great replacement. One I could certainly see happen at the quoted 10m Chelsea want for him if Webster goes for silly money. 

We have such a great relationship with Chelsea that this wouldn't surprise me, we might need the money for strikers though.

Ampadu on loan could be a good shout too. Villa were after him but if they get Webster we may be next in line. Let's be honest it would be surprising if a Chelsea player DIDN'T join on loan given recent seasons. 

Chelsea love us and I don't think that'll change with Lampard there given he knows LJ and JMc. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Well I know only one City fan that was aware of both Kalas and Webdini before they joined City. He is a bit of a nerd btw.......

I imagine a lot of other fans had seen Webster and Kalas play before they joined us. Anyone that watches a bit of championship football, or actually sees who plays for the opposition at our games would have known who they are. I'd only seen Dasilva for England under 21s.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m becoming resigned to losing AW now , money talks and silly money shouts ‘ take me ‘ from the rooftops.

 We can surely replace the lad , no matter how good he is , with similar for less.

The clubs quoted as being after him are going down the lazy expensive way of recruiting.

I would be happy if he was replaced by some relatively unknown ball playing centreback from Germany or Holland , for example. ( Would have to run any signing by Villa before we committed of course. They will need to know what they’ll be buying next season) 

Bye bye Adam and thank you .

:sad26:

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Well I know only one City fan that was aware of both Kalas and Webdini before they joined City. He is a bit of a nerd btw.......

Don't judge others by your own standards. We are not all as insular when it comes to football.

Only yesterday you asserted that Szmodics was similar to Bannan when a little research would have told you they are very different players. Now you seriously claim most of us had never heard of Kalas and Webster?

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJs record of recruiting  first team players is excellent based on last seasons evidence. Very few of us had heard of Dasilva, Kalas or Webdini for that matter. 

To think that a year ago some posters were panicking at the loss of Bryan, Flint and Reid..............:cool2:

I hadn't heard of Webdini until about two minutes ago.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Don't judge others by your own standards. We are not all as insular when it comes to football.

Only yesterday you asserted that Szmodics was similar to Bannan when a little research would have told you they are very different players. Now you seriously claim most of us had never heard of Kalas and Webster?

I’ve heard of both of them. 

:yes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

 

I would be happy if he was replaced by some relatively unknown ball playing centreback from Germany or Holland , for example. 

Is Jens Hegeler available?

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

:sad26:

Share your view and disappointment though. Players like Webster come to us so raraely and are just a joy to watch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We have such a great relationship with Chelsea that this wouldn't surprise me, we might need the money for strikers though.

Ampadu on loan could be a good shout too. Villa were after him but if they get Webster we may be next in line. Let's be honest it would be surprising if a Chelsea player DIDN'T join on loan given recent seasons. 

Chelsea love us and I don't think that'll change with Lampard there given he knows LJ and JMc. 

We might need the money for strikers indeed. The question for me is what was our budget before we sold Kelly and where will it stand when we sell Webster?

I'm sure SL will want to come out of this with a profit but that could still give us plenty of scope, especially if at least one signing is a loan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Well I know only one City fan that was aware of both Kalas and Webdini before they joined City. He is a bit of a nerd btw.......

The City fans you know must know very little about football then.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

It would have to be a very talented Prem youngster on loan to fill the void left by AW if he does go.

I would be looking at £20m plus a player or two dependent on the club and players available as part of any deal 

If it’s Villa then I would take Hourihane as part of a deal

Everton I would take Robinson & Williams 

Southampton - Gallagher and Afolabi

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

We might need the money for strikers indeed. The question for me is what was our budget before we sold Kelly and where will it stand when we sell Webster?

I'm sure SL will want to come out of this with a profit but that could still give us plenty of scope, especially if at least one signing is a loan.

I can't imagine us spending loads up top. I think we'll probably get Moore for 3m. If so and if Fam stays then one of Fam or Moore will probably start each game, as otherwise I don't see the point in having 2 of the same type if neither start.

We then have Szmodics who I imagine will be the Reid type forward. I can't see us spending loads on another when we also have Taylor, Weimann and Semenyo.

Key thing is whether Fam rumour is true. If it is then that is even more money, and plus we have to then replace our main striker. Only then could I see us potentially spending quite big on a forward. But then LJ might find a clever bargain. How much would Nketiah loan cost. Probably not loads.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I can't imagine us spending loads up top. I think we'll probably get Moore for 3m. If so and if Fam stays then one of Fam or Moore will probably start each game, as otherwise I don't see the point in having 2 of the same type if neither start.

We then have Szmodics who I imagine will be the Reid type forward. I can't see us spending loads on another when we also have Taylor, Weimann and Semenyo.

Key thing is whether Fam rumour is true. If it is then that is even more money, and plus we have to then replace our main striker. Only then could I see us potentially spending quite big on a forward. But then LJ might find a clever bargain. How much would Nketiah loan cost. Probably not loads.

I'm convinced Nketiah is the one we want most, though any loan is likely to happen later in the window I would assume. We may yet sign another striker as well though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...