Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

4 minutes ago, STeveOELlis said:

Selling Webster will show a severe lack of ambition.

We don’t need to sell, we’ve said we won’t, the player is happy as evidenced by the first day back video. 

If we bring in competition up front and at right back, we’ll have one of the strongest teams in the division (including Kalas) and we’ll hopefully set for a payday much larger than £20 or even £30 million  come May 2020 and 20% or more of that won’t have to go to Ipswich.

If we sell, even if we’re offered £30 million it will be a bizarre decision from the club who have said he’s not for sale. That should be that.

Webster might be Happy here but Villa would be in a position to treble his wages and money talks i'm afraid so when Villa meet our valuation he will be off :( Its not a lack of ambition by the club we are trying everything to keep him

1 minute ago, westonred said:

Webster might be Happy here but Villa would be in a position to treble his wages and money talks i'm afraid so when Villa meet our valuation he will be off :( Its not a lack of ambition by the club we are trying everything to keep him

It’s not hard to add a promotion clause to a contract, which I’m pretty sure is already in his contract 

46 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Once Villa opened their bidding at £12m I thought the writing was on the wall as with Ashton's hard ball negotiating it was/is inevitable that it will end up at  the "silly end" of the transfer fee spectrum. At that level it would almost be crazy for the club and player to turn down the offer, no matter how badly we would want Webster to stay as an important part of the team.

As @Moments of Pleasure says this transfer window is really showing how far we've come, when during this window we could sell 2 defenders to premier league clubs for combined fees in excess of £30m - one from our own academy and one regarded as a risky purchase for £.5m only 1 year ago. 

While  our transfer activity is still probably being made with one eye on our ffp situation, the big difference these days is that when selling our better layers we can look to replace with far batter quality than would have been the case only 2/3 seasons ago.  Until we have developed much bigger income streams player sales will be an essential part of the clubs development and evolution, even though many fans don't like it but when we can bring in the England U21 full back for a fraction of the fee Man U paid for his England full back partner then we are certainly heading in the right direction. 

Webster's fee a year ago was £3.5m - need a new proof reader!

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

People seem to be making the assumption that the replacement we sign will be equally as good as Webster. I'd say that it's going to be very difficult to find anybody as good, for a reasonable price who will want to come to Bristol City. Possible of course, but unlikely. The lad is absolute class, and those are enormous shoes to fill.

I'm not saying we shouldn't sell if silly money is offered, but we need to be realistic about the fact that breaking up the defensive partnership that was the main reason for our playoff push last season, is likely to weaken us quite a bit, and maybe we should readjust our expectations for the season.

Well I assume he will only be sold if Ashton promises LJ a certain quality replacement - Tomori or Ajayi for example. 

A bit like when LJ said to Ashton to only sell Flint if he promises he will get Webster.

Lets use Tomori as an example, as many are familiar with him. If he comes in then I don't see why we can't be just as strong. 

It's not that Tomori is even as good as Webster. But he looks so good at our level, and is younger than Webster by a couple of years. I can't see how we can't improve overall as a team with Tomori and Kalas as a pairing, and have extra money to strengthen elsewhere.

Van der Hoorn only has 12 months left on his contract at Swansea, and I think him and Kalas would be very good together. I think the Swans would take 5/6 million for him now given that he could go for nothing next year.

Then invest 8-10 million on a striker who will bang for us, and put the remaining 4-5 million into the kitty for another RB and Central midfielder. 

• Like 4
33 minutes ago, Westcountry Robins said:

Don’t think we should spend big money on centre back if we have Kalas coming, Baker and Wright already here and proven champ quality, as is Vyner with headroom to improve, Moore might shine in pre season. Better off spending up top and also upgrading at right back. 

We also desperately need a quality defensive midfielder

• Like 1

If, as seems increasingly likely, AW is sold for something in excess of £20m that would represent a remarkable achievement for both the Club and the player.

There’s no doubt we would not stand in his way if the right sum was offered by a Premiership team. Resulting in AW moving from Ipswich via us to the Premier League in a blink of an eye and BCFC making an excellent return on their investment (even after 20% is paid to Ipswich) 

As much as we would not wish to lose AW every player has their price. 

I’m delighted by the signings we’ve made so far and although it’s always hard to see quality players leave the fee we received for LK and the potential fee that might be received for AW make it understandable and sensible for them and the club to part company.

Well done to MA and all concerned with pursuing and executing a sustainable and sensible transfer strategy.  Us fans are perhaps too often swayed by our emotions when it comes to players coming and going!

4 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Van der Hoorn only has 12 months left on his contract at Swansea, and I think him and Kalas would be very good together. I think the Swans would take 5/6 million for him now given that he could go for nothing next year.

Then invest 8-10 million on a striker who will bang for us, and put the remaining 4-5 million into the kitty for another RB and Central midfielder. 

Absolutely would be my first target

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Well I assume he will only be sold if Ashton promises LJ a certain quality replacement - Tomori or Ajayi for example. 

A bit like when LJ said to Ashton to only sell Flint if he promises he will get Webster.

Lets use Tomori as an example, as many are familiar with him. If he comes in then I don't see why we can't be just as strong. 

It's not that Tomori is even as good as Webster. But he looks so good at our level, and is younger than Webster by a couple of years. I can't see how we can't improve overall as a team with Tomori and Kalas as a pairing, and have extra money to strengthen elsewhere.

Only reservation with your thoughts is that if Lampard takes over at Chelsea, he may be ready to use him in his first team squad. Especially ad they are in a transfer embargo.

6 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Only reservation with your thoughts is that if Lampard takes over at Chelsea, he may be ready to use him in his first team squad. Especially ad they are in a transfer embargo.

Maybe. But I thought I read earlier that he is available for 10m? Maybe not.

I guess Chelsea only really have 3 senior centre backs if Cahill leaves. Azpilicueta can also play there, and not sure if Ampadu is going to be still ahead of Tomori.

9 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

People seem to be making the assumption that the replacement we sign will be equally as good as Webster. I'd say that it's going to be very difficult to find anybody as good, for a reasonable price who will want to come to Bristol City. Possible of course, but unlikely. The lad is absolute class, and those are enormous shoes to fill.

I'm not saying we shouldn't sell if silly money is offered, but we need to be realistic about the fact that breaking up the defensive partnership that was the main reason for our playoff push last season, is likely to weaken us quite a bit, and maybe we should readjust our expectations for the season.

I think some are looking back a year and seeing that the seemingly irreplaceable Flint was replaced by Wesbter and Bryan by Dasilva. 

Of course at the same time we sold Reid, but his "replacement", Weiman, was not such a success, although I think he's a better player than many give credit.

However, the key to a degree of optimism about Webster's replacement is that the last 12 months seem to show that the club has got it's act together when it comes to player recruitment, even though some will continually point to failures like Engval. Our financial position is getting stronger every season, no doubt helped by our transfer successes, and this means we can look at a different level of player than would have been the case only a couple of seasons ago. 

Add in that we seem have an ace negotiator in Ashton, and I think I would feel more confident about securing a good replacement for Webster, and at a good fee for us,  than would have been the case in the past. 

• Like 2

If I was Kalas & saw us about to sell Webster I’d be having second thoughts. We don’t have to sell & it shows a lack of ambition from a club supposedly now looking to get promoted to the Prem. It’s similar to the Greslish situation - Villa didn’t sell, kept him & now he is worth even more.

If I was Webster & had genuine Prem League ambition then Villa would not be one of the clubs top of my list. They will struggle, likely get relegated & his reputation could be wrecked through no fault of his own.

However £25m+ is an incredible amount of money for a one season centre back with a dodgey injury history. If nothing else it pays for a significant part of the recent redevelopment. Plus I’m sure there is probably an agent behind the scenes pushing for a deal so he can take his greedy cut.

On that basis I think Webster is now a goner which would be a massive loss for us on the pitch. Clearly whether it becomes the right decision to sell him or not will come down to how, when & on who we reinvest the funds.

Edited by Cardy
  • Like 1
43 minutes ago, STeveOELlis said:

Selling Webster will show a severe lack of ambition.

We don’t need to sell, we’ve said we won’t, the player is happy as evidenced by the first day back video. 

If we bring in competition up front and at right back, we’ll have one of the strongest teams in the division (including Kalas) and we’ll hopefully set for a payday much larger than £20 or even £30 million  come May 2020 and 20% or more of that won’t have to go to Ipswich.

If we sell, even if we’re offered £30 million it will be a bizarre decision from the club who have said he’s not for sale. That should be that.

I dont think it would show a lack of ambition (it would if he came out and said he doesnt want to leave but we decided to cash in on him anyway). Face it, if he does leave it'll be because he wants guaranteed PL football and more money (which you cant begrudge him). Plus his agent will be influencing things too. If the club refuse to let him leave we quite possibly end up with an unhappy player and agent stiring up the squad and that could do a lot more damage. 

Nothing to do with lack of ambition if he does go IMO (which I think he will now). The club will have other targets to bring i if he does plus if the reported fee range is true we could end up with c15-20m to reinvest.

• Like 1

I personally don’t think Webster will leave for Villa, he might want a more established Premier League club. Or might just think I will give it another season here, as he can see what is going on behind the scenes!!

i think that Webster was fantastic last year,  but could also a reason of how good he looked was the great partner he had alongside him? 

I mean Kalas was fantastic and it was quite rare he let many things past him! I am not saying it was all Kalas but I am sure he helped vastly Webster play as he did!

I hope we dont sell Webster, but if we do it will be for the right reason, and I trust Johnson to bring in an adequate replacement.

• Like 1

As gutted as I’ll be when Webster leaves, this really is a great example of our business model and what it is trying to achieve. Bring in talent, develop that talent and then sell for a profit. 

Lets face it - £25m or however much it will be is ridiculous money for a championship centre back. That money can then be used to sign, at least, a replacement and hopefully a top drawer striker. Maybe throw in a midfielder as well. When you look at it like that, it would almost be silly to keep him (despite him being brilliant!). 

Pretty sure in the recent past, the club have warned against getting too close (in terms of hero worship) to players nowadays because of the business model - here’s a perfect example!

• Like 12

Visiting Villa fan back again 😀

It is interesting to see the view on here re Webster. Personally, I don't see selling him lacking any ambition. It would mainly be a business decision and there can also be footballing positives from it too. To realise such huge profit on a single player in the space of 12 months would be really good for BC. Also, and this is my personal opinion having watched the Championship very closely for the last 3 years, is that promotion is gained through having goal scorers as opposed to having Premier League quality defenders. BC failed to make the top 6 last season because you were too light up front. 59 goals scored all season. Top 5 were (93, 78, 73, 87, 82) and Derby in 6th at 69 goals scored. Stoke, who finished 16th conceded 52 goals, fewer goals conceded than Norwich, Baggies, Villa and Derby and only 2 more than Leeds but Sheff Utd had a great defence and only conceded 41 goals. 

If BC has the budget to buy or loan two top class Championship strikers then by all means keep Webster. However, if the budget isn't there to do this I believe it would show ambition to cash in on Webster and invest in some strikers that will move you up from the 59 goals scored into the 75+ goals scored. If you do this you WILL finish top 6.

The reported interest by Man U in McGinn could end our interest in Webster. If it is true then we could use this as leverage to get Tuanzebe from Utd in part exchange and I do expect that we will sign Migs so that would be our 2 1st choice CBs sorted and we have Hause and Chester as backup. The 50m fee sounds ridiculous though, we only paid less than 3m 12 months ago so I can't see that happening. Media click bait does like to quote figures that are way above the reality of what may actually happen. 

• Like 14

Agree with the Villa fan, we were overblessed in budget terms at CB last season. Baker and Wright are more than adequate at this level and if we'd have used the Kalas loan money to instead get a striker in I think we would have finished higher.

Now that we are getting Kalas, if we sell Webster I still see a top striker as more of a need than a top CB.

Edited by cidercity1987
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Begley said:

It is interesting to see the view on here re Webster. Personally, I don't see selling him lacking any ambition. It would mainly be a business decision and there can also be footballing positives from it too. To realise such huge profit on a single player in the space of 12 months would be really good for BC. Also, and this is my personal opinion having watched the Championship very closely for the last 3 years, is that promotion is gained through having goal scorers as opposed to having Premier League quality defenders. BC failed to make the top 6 last season because you were too light up front. 59 goals scored all season. Top 5 were (93, 78, 73, 87, 82) and Derby in 6th at 69 goals scored. Stoke, who finished 16th conceded 52 goals, fewer goals conceded than Norwich, Baggies, Villa and Derby and only 2 more than Leeds but Sheff Utd had a great defence and only conceded 41 goals. 

If BC has the budget to buy or loan two top class Championship strikers then by all means keep Webster. However, if the budget isn't there to do this I believe it would show ambition to cash in on Webster and invest in some strikers that will move you up from the 59 goals scored into the 75+ goals scored. If you do this you WILL finish top 6.

The reported interest by Man U in McGinn could end our interest in Webster. If it is true then we could use this as leverage to get Tuanzebe from Utd in part exchange and I do expect that we will sign Migs so that would be our 2 1st choice CBs sorted and we have Hause and Chester as backup. The 50m fee sounds ridiculous though, we only paid less than 3m 12 months ago so I can't see that happening. Media click bait does like to quote figures that are way above the reality of what may actually happen. 

You sure you’re a villa fan. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Begley said:

Welcome back. I notice that Tuanzebe has been pressing to know what his future is at Utd. Given that they gave new contracts to Smalling and Jones I would think you have a good chance of getting him, if he is interested.

Clearly Dean Smith badly wants Webster for his footballing skills but if you get Mings as well surely somebody has to go?

I wouldn't entirely discount the McGinn figure either, given Utd's recent record of paying over the odds. I look forward to the response of your more moronic fans if it happens!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

You sure you’re a villa fan. 

Unfortunately you can't really choose who you support, if I could choose I think I would have taken Arsenal for their football over the last 20 years, imo it was by far the best in English football. Liverpool ain't looking too sloppy these days either. But yes, for my sins I am a Villa supporter. i have to admit I am a happy one at the moment. Yes we will struggle next year, it does appear we are going to spend big this summer so there will be lots of Fulham comparisons. Next May if we finish 17th on Goal Diff I will view that as a really successful season and something to build on. I genuinely believe BC could be in the PL next season but ONLY if you buy some goals. Building a team over time and developing players does not tend to get promotion, you just get a profitable, well managed club that flirts with play-offs every year. To get up you need to take a risk on a striker or get lucky like Norwich, I don't think they even expected Pukki to get the return he got

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Begley said:

If you were to sign him, what price would you be comfortable with? Not necessarily what you think he's worth.

Given our strong selling position, i think he'll go for more than his market value.

Nice post btw.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Begley said:

Unfortunately you can't really choose who you support, if I could choose I think I would have taken Arsenal for their football over the last 20 years, imo it was by far the best in English football. Liverpool ain't looking too sloppy these days either. But yes, for my sins I am a Villa supporter. i have to admit I am a happy one at the moment. Yes we will struggle next year, it does appear we are going to spend big this summer so there will be lots of Fulham comparisons. Next May if we finish 17th on Goal Diff I will view that as a really successful season and something to build on. I genuinely believe BC could be in the PL next season but ONLY if you buy some goals. Building a team over time and developing players does not tend to get promotion, you just get a profitable, well managed club that flirts with play-offs every year. To get up you need to take a risk on a striker or get lucky like Norwich, I don't think they even expected Pukki to get the return he got

You can choose who you support...half of Bristol chose Liverpool

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I wouldn't entirely discount the McGinn figure either, given Utd's recent record of paying over the odds. I look forward to the response of your more moronic fans if it happens!

If Villa could get 10m / 15m plus Tuanzebe for McGinn I would bite their arm off. We need a CB more than we need McGinn and Tuanzebe has proven he can do it plus he knows Villa and the players etc. I think every player can be replaced and it is just about making sure you have the right positions filled with good players. Villa's objective next season will be to avoid relegation, so we need a strong defence, a good DM and a good GK. Our survival will come down to our ability to scrape a draw or defend a 1-0 lead against the teams in the lower half of the table. 

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

Be a real shame not to see him in a City shirt again.

You have not (yet) absorbed, learned or perfected the new, Bristol Sports principle of "non-attachment" that SL told us to practice, henceforth. Attachment to individual players leads to suffering, because all players will be sold one day, or leave, or lose form, some will even wind up, find themselves (and ask "how did I get here?") in Horfield poor wretches. 

Attachment = suffering. Remember this.

There is enough attachment in football (and therefore suffering) - attachment to clubs, attachment to outcomes/results, attachment to opinions and being right, attachment to "how the game works," attachment to what time second half subs should be introduced, attachment to which train stations we ought to be using before and after home games  - as it is, attachment we can do little about, without adding additional attachment (and so suffering) to players.

So, quit all this sentimentality about young, over-paid, over-sexed, males with no attachment to us - and if I can get over Flinty (sob) going, anyone can - because Webster goes and then in comes another young, over paid and over-sexed male driving a climate denying flash motor that will stop goals going in and bring the ball out from the back like Paolo Maldini even better than the last one (whatever his name was, Webber was it?)

This is the Bristol Sports way. This is the 21st century Bristol City way. You can let go now of your attachment to the old, familiar, pre-SL 20th century Bristol City where a fine player was sold for not quite as much as we could've got and his replacement - and his replacement (and the replacement's replacement's replacement etc etc) - was a bag of sh1te. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, Begley said:

It was a tongue in cheek comment . Just very refreshing to read some well constructed posts. IMO you will stay up next season . The bottom half of the premiership isn’t that strong. As for us I won’t get carried away . But we are certainly heading in the right direction. Hopefully with Webster still part of it . 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Robbored said:

LJs record of recruiting  first team players is excellent based on last seasons evidence. Very few of us had heard of Dasilva, Kalas or Webdini for that matter. 

To think that a year ago some posters were panicking at the loss of Bryan, Flint and Reid..............:cool2:

Kalas had been one of the premier centre backs this level the previous 4 seasons- would have thought most heard of him!

Webster though, what a revelation! Ipswich fan at work told me he was decent but what a breakout year!! Injury doubtless hindered him at Ipswich, perhaps too the more.pragmatic tactics of Mick McCarthy to an extent.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous