IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

No I wouldnt accept Hogan on a free given his lack of goals lately, injury record and high salary

Tricky one. Hogan was quality for Brentford a few years back, and seems to have lost his way (like many before him) when moving to a massive club with high expectations. I personally think he'd be a good fit here, and would obviously have to agree to a deal with wages that fit within our wage structure and to believe in our project.

Unless he's happy to spend the entire Prem season on the bench, the only real choice he has; is to move back to the Championship and to a team where he'd regularly play. 

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Fair enough, it just seemed odd that the company is not part of the Villa group.

It had to be done to avoid FFP / P&S penalties. Villa was a basket case before our new owners. We were forced to do something to avoid P&S failure

5 minutes ago, Begley said:

Sky is reporting that Utd has a 25% sell on clause (on profit) on Zaha. Arsenal currently looking at him and the price is circa 80m. That would hurt Palace

Yes, Utd refused to remove the clause as part of the Wan-Bissaka deal. No way Arsenal can afford Zaha unless they sell though.

2 minutes ago, Begley said:

If I were u I would prefer Hourihane. 8 goals and 11 assists. A really good pro, no record of injuries and only 28. He is constantly at the top of the assists table in the Championship. Okay, you guys may fell a little peeved off with the pen award but I am sure you could live to forget that if he was scoring goals for you. He has a great left foot and I genuinely believe he would be in the 1st 11 of any Championship.

As for Hogan, I love the type of player he is and he should do better. A good manage and a team that played to Hogan's strengths ie keeping the ball on the ground and playing through the channels and he could be great. Hogan is not going to score in a team that plays long balls. If you were to do a deal I would take Hourihane as a permanent and Hogan as a freebie loan with Villa paying half his wages so there wouldn't be too much risk.

Would villa be prepared to let hourihane go? Hes clearly one of the better midfielders in the championship, and could do very well in the premier league?

2 minutes ago, atyeoboy17 said:

If Webster does happen to leave, how about Harlee Dean as a replacement, wouldn’t cost the earth, only 27

I've voiced this one also recently. Good player, and him and Kalas would be a very tough pair to break. 

Will have a good footballing philosophy in him from his Brentford days also. 

28 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

You can choose who you support...half of Bristol chose Liverpool

and half chose City, so which half chose Rovers? :blink: :) 

I appreciate some people are desperate to keep Webster and think the club lack ambition if we sell him (not sure Otib will be a pretty place when he does go), but it's not the case and I get why people feel like this. We really want to keep our best players but it's just not possible these days in football, especially as we're now in that zone where we're raising eyebrows and getting noticed.  There is no loyalty in football and agents and players hold the ultimate power. Yes the club can waive the contract the players attached to but that means little if that player or agent get pissed off with the club.  The best outcome for this is its resolved quickly and the club get the most money we can and get a quality replacement quickly. 

This is just the consequence of how City are doing at the moment and our best players will get noticed by bigger clubs and will inevitably get poached.

Also, I'm sure Villa will already have spoken to his agent to get an indication of whether he'd join them. Given they're rumoured to be coming back with another offer it would suggest they've had a positive response from his agent. 

7 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

I've voiced this one also recently. Good player, and him and Kalas would be a very tough pair to break. 

Will have a good footballing philosophy in him from his Brentford days also. 

Yep, harlee dean is a good player, might be a little agricultural at times with kalas, but that would be pretty solid!

6 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

I appreciate some people are desperate to keep Webster and think the club lack ambition if we sell him (not sure Otib will be a pretty place when he does go), but it's not the case and I get why people feel like this. We really want to keep our best players but it's just not possible these days in football, especially as we're now in that zone where we're raising eyebrows and getting noticed.  There is no loyalty in football and agents and players hold the ultimate power. Yes the club can waive the contract the players attached to but that means little if that player or agent get pissed off with the club.  The best outcome for this is its resolved quickly and the club get the most money we can and get a quality replacement quickly. 

This is just the consequence of how City are doing at the moment and our best players will get noticed by bigger clubs and will inevitably get poached.

Agree. If we can get daft money for him then so be it. There is always another Adam Webster out there somewhere. No one is indispensable.

1 minute ago, marcofisher said:

I don't think he will go, I'm sure the club would have sat him down, explained about Kalas signing and persuaded him to give it a year telling him he can go next summer for a fair price if we are not promoted, like what happened with Flint.

With all due respect, if a premier league club come calling, being told ‘Kalas is signing’ is hardly going to avoid your head being turned. 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

With all due respect, if a premier league club come calling, being told ‘Kalas is signing’ is hardly going to avoid your head being turned. 

especially with the wages on offer.

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Seems a level headed lad though, already has god status here and will probably want a more secure mid table prep club than Villa. If there is something in the Everton or Southampton rumours I think he could go to one of these clubs but not sure if I see him wanting to risk it with Villa. 

He will know that we are on the up, one more good season and better clubs will be looking at him than Villa?

3 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I don't think he will go, I'm sure the club would have sat him down, explained about Kalas signing and persuaded him to give it a year telling him he can go next summer for a fair price if we are not promoted, like what happened with Flint.

This is my realistic hope too.

I haven't given up hope entirely of keeping him this summer.

I'm resigned to Webster leaving.

I'm pretty relaxed about it as well, the money being suggested is massive for a player who has a questionable fitness record and was part of a defense that got relegated from the Championship.

That isn't to say that he wasn't outstanding for us, but to make this sort of return in 12 months is great business and would probably allow us to have another 'bold' transfer window.

Players come and go, and you can't deny the lad the opportunity to earn life changing money.

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Yeah agreed, bristol city was never websters dream, but a premier league contract probably was. Given his previous injury issues theres no way he would want to miss out on a premier league contract for 4 years.

3 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Yeah agreed, bristol city was never websters dream, but a premier league contract probably was. Given his previous injury issues theres no way he would want to miss out on a premier league contract for 4 years.

No way we would want to miss out on the money as well.

15 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

WouId be devastated to see webster leave but if hogan and houriane was part of the deal that just might soften the blow leaving us a pile of cash for a quality replacement

I really hope we don't get Hogan.

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

Seems a level headed lad though, already has god status here and will probably want a more secure mid table prep club than Villa. If there is something in the Everton or Southampton rumours I think he could go to one of these clubs but not sure if I see him wanting to risk it with Villa. 

He will know that we are on the up, one more good season and better clubs will be looking at him than Villa?

He can probably at least treble his wages if he moves. Conversely he could suffer a career ending injury if he stays with us on the gamble that we are "on the up".. No brainer for me, I'd be off it is was me.

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

He can probably at least treble his wages if he moves. Conversely he could suffer a career ending injury if he stays with us on the gamble that we are "on the up".. No brainer for me, I'd be off it is was me.

I also think he should be off from a bcfc perspective. 25mil plus add ons. No brainer to sell.

1 hour ago, Begley said:

It had to be done to avoid FFP / P&S penalties. Villa was a basket case before our new owners. We were forced to do something to avoid P&S failure

‘Were’?? Your owners have been in position for less than a year, I’d suggest there’s still plenty of time for them to muck things up yet.

There aren’t many foreign owners that fully understand how football works & what is realistically expected from them, I’d suggest waiting around to see what you think of them in a little over a years time before you go fully making your mind up because I’m sure if you get relegated the FL might have a few things they’d like to discuss with your club.

5 minutes ago, Lez said:

I cant see Hogan can come here. We wont pay the wages. Not even half what he is on at villa

You may well be right but I think that is starting to change.

I don’t believe Kalas and JDS are on anything other than the going rate.

Not that I particularly want Hogan.

Archived