IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

35 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

STCC you might be thinking of? That's been scrapped I think but you are right, effectively Championship wages are so much lower than PL that they can effectively raise it as they like, or could while that rule was in force in that way- maybe different with Aston Villa though, 2017/18 accounts showed a wage budget of around £70m! :o Plenty of departees may have helped bring it back into balance. Agree that not done with spending, Villa Park sale and leaseback *cough* -"cheats"- *cough*- also helps with that- if they come down though firesale surely?

Yes stcc. Thought I heard it had been scrapped. Still 105m they can lose over 3 seasons. This is their first so I can see them spending big to try and stay in the league. 

35 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Sky were quoting this morning that afternoon signing Mings in a deal for up to £25m, their remaining budget is earmarked for a keeper but they aren’t willing to meet Stoke’s valuation of £25m or so on Butland so that would suggest they have moved on from AW.

I am speculating but apparently Smith is a big fan of Webster. He could be their first choice to pair with Mings. Better to spend say 22-25m on your first choice or 15-20 on your third or fourth? We don’t know and personally won’t feel he is guaranteed to stay until the window closes. Mental they won’t spend on Butland though. Clearly a prem keeper and still young! 

30 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Villa reported to be paying £26.5 million for Mings , :blink:  expected to go through today 

Bournemouth doing great business , to get that for Mings and then buy Stacey from Luton for £4 million

Super , athletic right back (Wish we could have afforded him)

I have followed him for a bit. Think they picked him up from Reading after he left their academy(had loans I think but not getting into champ squad at the time). Was a winger but seems they converted him much like Wan Bissaka’s route to fullback. I wonder if we have any hardworking and athletic wingers in our setup that may not be champ standard wingers but could possibly retrain as fullbacks? Possibly Jonny Smith who has had good loans but now getting to an age where he needs to make his mark? 

26 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

I actually think we wrongly right off players as past it when they hit 30 in this country. Especially defenders. 

A big part of defending is reading the game and think that comes with experience and age. Chielllini is 34 and I would have him down as one of the best defenders in the world currently.

An element to that but think a lot of defending in Italy is reading the game. Whereas older defenders here have been battered by target men for 8-10 years. Idk seems like Cahill and Jagielka have lost some steps over the years whereas Chiellini still seems as fit and athletic.  as ever. Must be a difference in there

14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We'd have accepted that for Webster IMO.

In your opinion, did we reject a bit of c£20m? 

I'm astounded that we have reached a point that Bristol City can afford to dp that! How far we've come...

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yes stcc. Thought I heard it had been scrapped. Still 105m they can lose over 3 seasons. This is their first so I can see them spending big to try and stay in the league. 

I am speculating but apparently Smith is a big fan of Webster. He could be their first choice to pair with Mings. Better to spend say 22-25m on your first choice or 15-20 on your third or fourth? We don’t know and personally won’t feel he is guaranteed to stay until the window closes. Mental they won’t spend on Butland though. Clearly a prem keeper and still young! 

I have followed him for a bit. Think they picked him up from Reading after he left their academy(had loans I think but not getting into champ squad at the time). Was a winger but seems they converted him much like Wan Bissaka’s route to fullback. I wonder if we have any hardworking and athletic wingers in our setup that may not be champ standard wingers but could possibly retrain as fullbacks? Possibly Jonny Smith who has had good loans but now getting to an age where he needs to make his mark? 

An element to that but think a lot of defending in Italy is reading the game. Whereas older defenders here have been battered by target men for 8-10 years. Idk seems like Cahill and Jagielka have lost some steps over the years whereas Chiellini still seems as fit and athletic.  as ever. Must be a difference in there

Hmm, not entirely so simple- in theory anyway.

The two are joined up with differing loss limits but the 3 year principle- we'll have to see how much they lost after the ground sale shenanigans last season but they also have to take into account their losses from the last 2 seasons when looking at this season- plus the possibility that they drop straight back down.Even if the ground sale took them to break even, they could lose a max of £61m this year- bearing in mind how much wages can rise on promotion...moreover if they did make a loss this time out, then they could be in major trouble in summer 2020 if as I'm sure we all hope, they spend big yet crash and burn.

Personally I hope they spend big, very big (but not on Webster) and come back down having failed FFP once more but without the ground sale idea a possibility.

Of course if they spend and stay up it's a whole different ball game but if they spend big and come back down...

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

We definitely did. The majority of it was payment upfront as well. 

Mad, isn't it. Imagine Lansdown's face if Webster does his cruciate ligaments in America now! 

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hmm, not entirely so simple- in theory anyway.

The two are joined up with differing loss limits but the 3 year principle- we'll have to see how much they lost after the ground sale shenanigans last season but they also have to take into account their losses from the last 2 seasons when looking at this season- plus the possibility that they drop straight back down.Even if the ground sale took them to break even, they could lose a max of £61m this year- bearing in mind how much wages can rise on promotion...moreover if they did make a loss this time out, then they could be in major trouble in summer 2020 if as I'm sure we all hope, they spend big yet crash and burn.

Personally I hope they spend big, very big (but not on Webster) and come back down having failed FFP once more but without the ground sale idea a possibility.

Of course if they spend and stay up it's a whole different ball game but if they spend big and come back down...

Cheers didn’t know all that. Will be interesting for sure.

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

Sky were quoting this morning that afternoon signing Mings in a deal for up to £25m, their remaining budget is earmarked for a keeper but they aren’t willing to meet Stoke’s valuation of £25m or so on Butland so that would suggest they have moved on from AW.

£24.5m for Maenpaa 

On 08/07/2019 at 13:35, Red Army 75 said:

Bristol City turning down 20 million. What progress the club has made. And they didn’t buckle when it could of been tempting. Fair play to lansdown 

Indeed it is good news and we r all delighted. That said I hope he is content in Championship having had a chance to play in premier denied. The club have always maintained the obvious, it has to right for all parties.  Sellers, buyers, and the player. Obvious not right for us.  I hope good management keeps  the player  happy as well, must have been a carrot dangled here somewhere ?

2 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Indeed it is good news and we r all delighted. That said I hope he is content in Championship having had a chance to play in premier denied. The club have always maintained the obvious, it has to right for all parties.  Sellers, buyers, and the player. Obvious not right for us.  I hope good management keeps  the player  happy as well, must have been a carrot dangled here somewhere ?

He sounded more than happy to stay when asked at Hallen. That said, wouldn't expect him to say anything different. He will be playing in Premier league anyway in just over a years time.

On 08/07/2019 at 13:35, Red Army 75 said:

Bristol City turning down 20 million. What progress the club has made. And they didn’t buckle when it could of been tempting. Fair play to lansdown 

Indeed. 

However £20m offer for Webster, would only be worth £15-16m to us after paying Ipswich's sell on clause. It would have been interesting if Villa had gone to £25m to see if we would have taken that.

Ultimately every player has their price, and I reckon if we would have cleared £20m on Webster then we may well have taken up the option.

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

Not sure he's the Dunk replacement directly, big ask to go from league 1 to prem regular

Brighton do sound like our biggest problem now Villa have made the big signings they have.

A quick google tells me Brighton's current record signing is Jahanbakhsh for 17 million. Will they be willing to pay around 1.5x that for a defender with an injury record? Let's bloody hope not.

26 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Brighton do sound like our biggest problem now Villa have made the big signings they have.

A quick google tells me Brighton's current record signing is Jahanbakhsh for 17 million. Will they be willing to pay around 1.5x that for a defender with an injury record? Let's bloody hope not.

The thing is at premier league level 1 very good season and his value would probably rise to £50m if one of the big clubs came calling so there is that resale value as well. 

37 minutes ago, hodge said:

The thing is at premier league level 1 very good season and his value would probably rise to £50m if one of the big clubs came calling so there is that resale value as well. 

That's true, and I can genuinely see him being that good. Hopefully that's my red tinted specs talking and they don't take the chance. If we can start the season with Bentley in goal and Kalas, JDS AND Webo in the squad we could be a defensive force. Best City defensive set-up in my lifetime that.

39 minutes ago, hodge said:

I guess the trouble is that it’s so much harder to be outstanding in a bad side that’ll be fighting to survive. If they get relegated they going to struggle to add value to a £25m player. 

3 hours ago, ncnsbcfc said:

£20m offer for Webster, would only be worth £15-16m to us after paying Ipswich's sell on clause.

It would be interesting to know how often clubs who hold sell on rights are asked to waive a proportion of those fees to get a deal done. You can imagine a situation where a club in Ipswich's position would prefer to get a guarranteed £3-4m this year than wait till next year or whenever to get £5m. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if there was already a market in sell-on rights.

48 minutes ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

It would be interesting to know how often clubs who hold sell on rights are asked to waive a proportion of those fees to get a deal done. You can imagine a situation where a club in Ipswich's position would prefer to get a guarranteed £3-4m this year than wait till next year or whenever to get £5m. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if there was already a market in sell-on rights.

49 minutes ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

Well, he's marketed everything esle, so why not!

473164672_harryredknapp.jpg.1094d3eed54dadb22a7f58df692ae172.jpg

It would seem that Aston have finally got the message........and phecked off.  So AW will not be going there, and with regard to Dunk, he has been offered a new deal and the captaincy, so could well stay, unless a massive bid materialises.  Theyr'e is always the chance of a large bid from out of the blue coming in for AW from another Prem team?.......but it seems increasingly likely that he will stay with us.  If he excels, as is likely, then lets hope we are in the top six come January, as if we are not, then AW could become a major target again.  He WILL end up in the Prem..........just hope that it is with us.  But the best news of all is that he will almost certainly not be going to Villa Park, which pleases me immensely

Archived