Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Red Army 75

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

6 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

He played on Saturday, so LJ obviously didn't/doesn't know if he's staying or going. And the defence looked uncertain as a consequence

But at no stage has anyone said that we’ve accepted a bid for him. He was at the open training on Tuesday & pictured at training yesterday.

LJ will know if he’s in a position to play come Sunday, as he did with Flint & I’m sure they have trained for whatever outcome. Only 1 more week & then we’ll know for definite.

30 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

But at no stage has anyone said that we’ve accepted a bid for him. He was at the open training on Tuesday & pictured at training yesterday.

LJ will know if he’s in a position to play come Sunday, as he did with Flint & I’m sure they have trained for whatever outcome. Only 1 more week & then we’ll know for definite.

It does appear that the Brighton Media Dept have "gone early" on this one. Rare for a club to say directly that they expect to make a deal rather than dropping hints to a 3rd party to get it into the press as a rumour.

1 hour ago, Judda said:

This has gone quiet again... .any news? 

The news is, there is no news.

1 hour ago, Judda said:

Edited by Desso

12 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

the news is, there is no news, and that's the news

No news is good news when it comes to Webster 

15 minutes ago, Desso said:

The news is, there is no news.

11 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

the news is, there is no news, and that's the news

no news is good news, any fake news? 

Football365 are reporting that Man Utd have offered £80m for Maguire and told Leicester to take it or leave it by Monday. Also that Barca say they have had no bid for Umtiti.

Wheels within wheels 

If the McQuire deal goes through Webster to Brighton happens, with Clarke coming here on loan, everyone is just waiting on that Leicester / Man Utd deal happening.

5 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

If the McQuire deal goes through Webster to Brighton happens, with Clarke coming here on loan, everyone is just waiting on that Leicester / Man Utd deal happening.

Is this your considered opinion or do you have any source confirming this

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

Is this your considered opinion or do you have any source confirming this

Webster was at Brighton's training ground in Lancing today, Brighton fans that are frriends of mine who drink with some guys who work there have told me that is their understanding. They are not wind up merchants

2 minutes ago, joshbristol said:

Webster 

Who? 

Sorry I just heard 30m and nothing else 🤑

Edited by Sturny

2 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Sorry, can’t believe anyone with shiter in their name.....

Is that his real name? Nick Mashiter?

Sounds like a Scotsman reporting the robbery of his commode to the police...

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

Getting the impression from LJ’s comments “it could be expensive” for the striker we are after, that we are now Relying on some of the money from the Webster deal should it go through, in order to sign a more ambitious target? 

Both LJ and Ashton have come out this week and stated that signing a proven 9 is a must but they are expensive. 

After signing Palmer (following on from all our other signings), we have now spent more than the Kelly deal. We can’t be in a situation within FFP to spend big on a striker plus the other two signings that LJ said he wants. If the Dijksteel fee (2m) is correct then that would take our spending to 5.5m after the Kelly deal. Add in the striker and Other player (albeit if it is Clarke included from Brighton we wouldn’t be required to spend much).

The pattern over the last couple of weeks has been the increase in number of players LJ has wanted to bring in. It started with “a couple” and last week was 3 before this week changing to 4 new signings. 

Have we left ourselves in a position financially where we won’t be able to afford a proven striker at a high level if the Webster deal falls through? We are in the domino chain with the maguire to United deal and if that doesn’t happen and we end up managing to keep Webby, would we then have to settle for an average striker to fall within budget restrictions?

I think we have done some great business this summer. However our priority positions have not been fillled. At the start of the window I would have said we required a striker, centre mid, and secure Kalas and Dasilva.

I’m delighted with how the squad is taking shape. My only concern is the order we have prioritized signing certain players. If we were to finish the window without signing a striker, there would be uproar. 

If the Webster deal doesn’t go through then I can see us signing Kieffer Moore, our plan B if you like. 

However, if Webster is sold then I believe we will move on to more ambitious targets. We are starting to get linked to players that previously would have been out of reach. I believe Mark Ashton is currently testing the water to see if a higher ability striker is available and interested, which we can use some of the Webster money on.

Can see the striker signing on deadline day! A lot can happen up to then that makes certain players who were ‘out of reach’, available and needing a move.

Anyone else share a similar opinion?

• Like 1

Just now, JonDolman said:

So do we start Webster against Leeds? Tough decision that.

Not unless Webster himself has decided to stay at AG - at least until the winter window.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Not a chance, even if he is still here. He would not be in the right frame of mind and the club are not going to risk him getting injured.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Not a chance, even if he is still here. He would not be in the right frame of mind and the club are not going to risk him getting injured.

Think I agree after going to Palace

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Webster was at Brighton's training ground in Lancing today, Brighton fans that are frriends of mine who drink with some guys who work there have told me that is their understanding. They are not wind up merchants

No he wasn’t you clown, my mate had a picture with him today in Bedminster and took a picture to prove it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

53 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

My hairdressers gardener overheard a conversation on the bus about someone who said he wasn't..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

55 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Obviously 'wined' up merchants.

2 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

Brighton's training ground is at Lancing, just west of the City of Brighton, I will give you that but only that..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

No way, wrap him up safely in cotton wool and bubble wrap, and gently place him in the jewellery drawer.  

What a disaster if he got broken now, £25million precious thing, to play him against Leeds would would be akin to balancing a Ming dynasty vase on a window sill in windy conditions... Crazy to risk it.. innit? 

• Haha 2

Would love Leicester to stand form over Maguire.  For too long the big-boys gave fun rough-shod over the lower clubs.  Leicester don’t need to sell....and stand a good chance of finishing above Utd.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Would love Leicester to stand form over Maguire.  For too long the big-boys gave fun rough-shod over the lower clubs.  Leicester don’t need to sell....and stand a good chance of finishing above Utd.

Exactly this.

Thought this when I heard Utd were interested, I do think Leicester will finish above them aswell. Yes I get Man Utd are a huge club will pay him a whole lot more etc, but as a squad they are a complete shambles at the moment, so not exactly a progressive move for his career, and unless he’s one of those strange people who supports 2 English clubs then it isn’t because he’s a Man Utd fan, he’s Sheff Utd through and through. So money talks again? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

Clarke is going to Derby apparently https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17810635.albion-defender-matt-clarke-closes-loan-move/

12 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Exactly this.

Thought this when I heard Utd were interested, I do think Leicester will finish above them aswell. Yes I get Man Utd are a huge club will pay him a whole lot more etc, but as a squad they are a complete shambles at the moment, so not exactly a progressive move for his career, and unless he’s one of those strange people who supports 2 English clubs then it isn’t because he’s a Man Utd fan, he’s Sheff Utd through and through. So money talks again? 

It's true. But you get to shake Sir Bobby's hand, sit in the home dressing room at Old Trafford and potentially become a hero to millions across the globe. Plus your salary will double. It's hard to say no to that.

3 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

I think you’ll find they are wind up merchants ...

3 hours ago, Coombsy said:

Leicester bid 30 million 

For Webster or for Ashton Gate Stadium?

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Deal very close now.

Tactically it's in our interests to hold this one up a bit to announce a signing or two when, or shortly after he goes. 

Palmer signing wasn't dependent on Webster cash so we will have money to burn if this deal happens...within reason. 

He *could* be gone by Sunday. Sorry 

Any details on the add ons? Journalist on twitter was suggesting that was the hold up

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Deal very close now.

Tactically it's in our interests to hold this one up a bit to announce a signing or two when, or shortly after he goes. 

Palmer signing wasn't dependent on Webster cash so we will have money to burn if this deal happens...within reason. 

Cheers Kid.

In all honesty, I have my heart set on him going because I can't overlook the fee and the risk of him getting injured in the near future which wipes out his valuation. At the start of summer I remember saying, 'I'd only let him go if someone came in with an absolutely ridiculous figure like £20m which they won't'. Turns out I was wrong and the market for a young English CB was more inflated than I anticipated.

I assume we are nearing our valuation as these discussions have been going on for a short while?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Deal very close now.

Are we getting any closer to incomings/replacement?

2 minutes ago, Evy11_BCFC said:

Are we getting any closer to incomings/replacement?

Will be more twists and turns tomorrow no doubt. If Webster is still with us on Sunday, i really can't see him playing. 

Edited by Arkateee

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Deal very close now.

Shame that.

I remember you saying a while back that we had a class replacement in mind when Villa came knocking. Is that replacement still in mind and available?

• Like 2

Still can’t quite get over the fact we might actually sell a player for £25m. I mean, holy ****.

On Football Manager, earlier this year, I sold Webster (in Jan of the first season) to Watford for £10m thinking that was an excellent, excellent deal. Yet, here we are about to make more than double that. We’ve out Football Manager-ed Football Manager. 

You just love to see it. 

Edited by Wade Wilson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wade Wilson said:

Still can’t quite get over the fact we might actually sell a player for £25m. I mean, holy ****.

On Football Manager, earlier this year, I sold Webster (in Jan of the first season) to Watford for £10m thinking that was an excellent, excellent deal. Yet, here we are about to make more then double that. We’ve out Football Manager-ed Football Manager. 

You just love love to see it. 

In which case hold off on sending Steve L your CV for now!

• Haha 1