Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

I may be in the vast minority here, but is it really such a massive loss if we lose Webster with the other CBs we have at the club ?

Just tweak the play a little and get 20m + into the club to get a couple of others in.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love him to stay, but it isn't anywhere near a one man team.

This 15m stuff is nonsense though.

9 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I may be in the vast minority here, but is it really such a massive loss if we lose Webster with the other CBs we have at the club ?

Just tweak the play a little and get 20m + into the club to get a couple of others in.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love him to stay, but it isn't anywhere near a one man team.

This 15m stuff is nonsense though.

He’d be a bigger loss than Reid imo 

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

He’d be a bigger loss than Reid imo 

Fair enough, all about opinions.

But I don't think we missed Reid as much as stated, we tweaked the way we play and got closer than when he was in the team.

I think it would be the same with Webster (or Flint, Magnússon, Bryan etc).

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Fair enough, all about opinions.

But I don't think we missed Reid as much as stated, we tweaked the way we play and got closer than when he was in the team.

I think it would be the same with Webster (or Flint, Magnússon, Bryan etc).

That's a good point. There is an argument we missed Reid. But then he wouldn't have fitted into our system that won us so many away games and kept so many clean sheets - 4141. So there is an argument we were better without him.

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Would £15.5M plus Vydra be acceptable? 

If it's Burnley etc, proven goal scorer etc? 

Not ITK in the slightest BTW, just wondering. 

Whats Vydra's market value? £5 - 6m? Unless they are covering the wage descrepancy I can't see how they get near the Webster value with that if it is Burnley?

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Close, but wrong.

£17m upfront with add ons already rejected, therefore chances we've accepted a bid of £15.5m seems rather unlikely.

Someone messaged me earlier about this Webster rumour and even said where it had came from, I think it's probably bollox.

😍👍

33 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Whats Vydra's market value? £5 - 6m? Unless they are covering the wage descrepancy I can't see how they get near the Webster value with that if it is Burnley?

£8-10m mentioned a few weeks back - albeit I don’t think we’d pay that unless we generated some serious £s by selling a player.

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

How often does that happen,

when was the las player plus cash deal?

Reckon it will be more likely with fees as high as they are. Not saying in this instance but Neymar as an example, Barca can’t afford in just cash so have offered players plus cash

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

Reckon it will be more likely with fees as high as they are. Not saying in this instance but Neymar as an example, Barca can’t afford in just cash so have offered players plus cash

PSG won’t sell him,

that neymar TGI g is about one thing only.....agent fees

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

PSG won’t sell him,

that neymar TGI g is about one thing only.....agent fees

Don’t think PSG want him anymore. Tired of him and I don’t blame them. If rumours are true they are offering 90m plus Dembele and Coutinho I would snap their hands off. 

18 minutes ago, Big C said:

And wasn’t there Paul Anderson and JET as well?

I believe you are right, and as I understand it Ipswich still paid some of JET's wages....which is probably why we didn't renew him when it expired at the end of 14/15 season.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Extremely rare these days as contracts/initial fees/add ons are complicated enough when single players are involved.

The best ones we've done are Carl shutt for super Bob and Steve McClaren for Garry Shelton, brilliant bit of business that.

• Like 2
On 19/07/2019 at 20:21, Davefevs said:

One things for sure.  This window has taught me (think I already knew) that there is so much BS going on, and people post in good faith, but are unable to honestly back up their stories, because it’s second, third, fourth hand.  It’s pretty easy for someone to say to you “my mate knows city Staff Member X and he’s just said ABC”.  You have no way of checking that 1) that person does know X nor 2) that even if 1 is true that X said ABC.

Webster might be off....I know Kid said earlier on this summer he thought he’d go eventually.

I hope he doesn’t.  If he does, as far as I'm concerned we just go out and get Hector (or someone if his ilk) with the millions we’ve just received.  Shit happens.  There will be a plan in place / succession planning.

LJ was pretty confident the other day, but £millions change things pretty quickly.

A year ago, I’d probably be quite worried, but we got it right last summer, and we’ve got it right so far this summer.

Whilst mentioning Hector, if we’re gonna have Dasilva, Kalas and Hector, don’t we just need a Chelsea RB too....Dujon Sterling anyone?

Well the Kodja experience told us not to believe a damn word the club says. As for people posting what they hear, I doubt anything will come from the club itself, only a small group know about the detail of bids, and sometimes LJ will not even be sure of the amounts involved in buying , at least during negotiations. As for incoming  offers, that is different and the net has many holes, often from the club wanting to buy and/or agent. Wanting to leak info to media etc. to destabilise things . A lot of info comes via agents, and that is where I have over the years had lots of background (business involvement). It is not correct to post on here the info you get as it compromises everyone and risks, worst of all, a City deal , which you never want, but also these things should remain restricted . Also the number of enquiries is vast, but that does not mean a deal has been proposed, MA for example will be talking all the time to other clubs , exploring opportunities. But after the transfer event, it is quite fun to read about wages and fees that are often invented on forums, some so far off the mark it is hilarious , but a few, without doubt are spot on. But the hit rate is very low, as few would know the variables involved in a deal, be it a fee structure or contract structure. They are all very complex today. Prem wages though lead to a lot of overstated Championship wage claims even if the tendency is upward. 

As for Webster, I do not believe the player and agent would easily accept that city turned down a "£20m deal" that would allow him a Prem move. Even offering an improved contract does not compensate a player for not being able to play at the top teams/grounds and a chance to grow also at the highest level. The footballer career is short, and can end rapidly. No one will turn down that chance, no matter how romantic a notion it is that a player would like to battle it out for a top ten/playoff chance with City. It is unrealistic. 

If City are offered £15M plus a striker of quality (for our needs) then it would be a very hard deal to reject and explain to Webster IMHO

Edited by billywedlock
  • Flames 1
3 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Well the Kodja experience told us not to believe a damn word the club says. As for people posting what they hear, I doubt anything will come from the club itself, only a small group know about the detail of bids, and sometimes LJ will not even be sure of the amounts involved in buying , at least during negotiations. As for incoming  offers, that is different and the net has many holes, often from the club wanting to buy and/or agent. Wanting to leak info to media etc. to destabilise things . A lot of info comes via agents, and that is where I have over the years had lots of background (business involvement). It is not correct to post on here the info you get as it compromises everyone and risks, worst of all, a City deal , which you never want, but also these things should remain restricted . Also the number of enquiries is vast, but that does not mean a deal has been proposed, MA for example will be talking all the time to other clubs , exploring opportunities. But after the transfer event, it is quite fun to read about wages and fees that are often invented on forums, some so far off the mark it is hilarious , but a few, without doubt are spot on. But the hit rate is very low, as few would know the variables involved in a deal, be it a fee structure or contract structure. They are all very complex today. Prem wages though lead to a lot of overstated Championship wage claims even if the tendency is upward. 

As for Webster, I do not believe the player and agent would easily accept that city turned down a "£20m deal" that would allow him a Prem move. Even offering an improved contract does not compensate a player for not being able to play at the top teams/grounds and a chance to grow also at the highest level. The footballer career is short, and can end rapidly. No one will turn down that chance, no matter how romantic a notion it is that a player would like to battle it out for a top ten/playoff chance with City. It is unrealistic. 

If City are offered £15M plus a striker of quality (for our needs) then it would be a very hard deal to reject and explain to Webster IMHO

I am sure they have explained to Webster that they will sell him at the end of the season if they don't go up, unless a club matches their valuation now. He has a long contract here

• Like 1
7 hours ago, billywedlock said:

You don’t know Webster’s opinion so that is pure conjecture 

Can’t see any truth in this latest rumour imo, someone showed me the text from the bloke who’s to be fair been spot on in the past, but £15m really? Not a chance unless there’s more to add etc, also I don’t think it’ll be that difficult to remove a magnetic name plate?

5 hours ago, RedDave said:

You don’t know Webster’s opinion so that is pure conjecture 

It is pure conjecture that I do not know what he thinks.

It is the dream of any pro player to play at the highest level. Webster would not turn down a move to the Prem. Ask him. 

• Like 1