Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Red Army 75

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, bcdc said:

Why on earth are so many assuming it is £18 + 4 mill fee, on the basis of a single tweet  from a Sun (!) journalist?

Thank you thank you thank you!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would also like to see Taylor Moore given his chance.  You never know whether you are going to get outstanding or dismal from Baker and Wright doesn't look suited to the left side.

Taylor Moore has always been a ball playing centre back so he's the most obvious replacement for Webster. The only concern from Lee Johnson was that centre backs need to be prepared to get their nose broken!   It was his way of saying that Taylor wasn't quite physical enough or prepared to do the basics.  Judging by the way he has bulked up and the positive feedback from his time at Southend, it looks like he has addressed that. 

LJ quite rightly likes to  'big up' his players and before Taylor Moore was loaned out he said he was more like Bobbly Moore'.  That's pushing it a bit but we could have another high quality ball playing centre half who now has the necessary physicality. Just a pity he hasn't had a few more pre-season run-outs with Kalas to see how well they combine.  

A quality defensive midfielder in front to help the defence plus a 20 a season forward would be on my wish list rather than another centre half.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I disagree personally - an average defence wouldn't stand a chance against most top-half championship teams, impacting on the confidence of the whole team.

And anyway, I don't think we'll get any 'outstanding' attackers. 

If we spend Kalas-type money on a  new centre half but only half that on a new no.9, I'll be disappointed.

Imo, better to spend 2 million on a centre-half (West Brom bought Ajayi - a tall, ball playing centre half like Webster - for that amount the other day) and 4 times that on a fox in the box.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So they’ve cleared out a defender...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

If we spend Kalas-type money on a  new centre half but only half that on a new no.9, I'll be disappointed.

Imo, better to spend 2 million on a centre-half (West Brom bought Ajayi - a tall, ball playing centre half like Webster - for that amount the other day) and 4 times that on a fox in the box.

If we hurry up and sell Taylor, COD and Watkins, we could probably afford both

9 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

You're really Ivor Guy aren't you AG.

Who? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

I would also like to see Taylor Moore given his chance.  You never know whether you are going to get outstanding or dismal from Baker and Wright doesn't look suited to the left side.

Taylor Moore has always been a ball playing centre back so he's the most obvious replacement for Webster. The only concern from Lee Johnson was that centre backs need to be prepared to get their nose broken!   It was his way of saying that Taylor wasn't quite physical enough or prepared to do the basics.  Judging by the way he has bulked up and the positive feedback from his time at Southend, it looks like he has addressed that. 

LJ quite rightly likes to  'big up' his players and before Taylor Moore was loaned out he said he was more like Bobbly Moore'.  That's pushing it a bit but we could have another high quality ball playing centre half who now has the necessary physicality. Just a pity he hasn't had a few more pre-season run-outs with Kalas to see how well they combine.  

A quality defensive midfielder in front to help the defence plus a 20 a season forward would be on my wish list rather than another centre half.

Totally agree. As an 18 year old at Lens he was subject of a £6 million bid from Lille which they turned down as they wanted 10. Clearly he was an exceptional youngster. Get him in v Leeds. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

We've signed an awful lot of guff over the last few years considering it's a 'plan' 

Are you this miserable about everything in life, or just football?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

you are wrong, twice we had an average championship defence but had outstanding attacking players we almost got relegated

To clarify, I'm talking about a defence that's Championship standard, just not outstanding.

Not one with Gus Caesar and Lewin Nytangle at centre-half.

Personally, I'd be happy if we'd bought Ajayi from Rotherham for £2m and then spent  a shed-load on a goalscorer.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Moore would be targeted mercilessly by Leeds and they'd win, it's not the time to throw him in.

Kalas and Baker for me.  At least both are hard as nails and won't take any of the Leeds shite.

Not sure I'd class "hard as nails" as my prime requirement for a centre half.

Moore is a ball-playing central defender, much in the same mould as Webster. I'd quite like Leeds to target him as I really don't think they'd get much change from him.

I'm aware that I'm sticking my neck on the line somewhat in my support of Moore, but I honestly think that given the chance he'll have an outstanding season for us this year.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jellyred said:

Was he the one everyone hoped we would get as part of the deal?

It was a name I had seen mentioned numerous times yes. They have space for an incoming, only a matter of time now I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

We've signed an awful lot of guff over the last few years considering it's a 'plan' 

And we’ve also improved our league position for five years in a row. So maybe, just maybe, they actually know more about running a football club than we do?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Not sure I'd class "hard as nails" as my prime requirement for a centre half.

Moore is a ball-playing central defender, much in the same mould as Webster. I'd quite like Leeds to target him as I really don't think they'd get much change from him.

I'm aware that I'm sticking my neck on the line somewhat in my support of Moore, but I honestly think that given the chance he'll have an outstanding season for us this year.

I said the same thing earlier in the thread, would like to see what Moore can do

Its a shame the window closes just after the season starts, as I would like to have seen what Taylor Moore could do as Webs replacement, I think they are very similar players, and think he will be good given time to get use to the championship. The problem is it would be such a gamble to go into the season without having tried him first over a number of games, although I suppose we still have sicknote (I stubbed my toe so I can have Christmas off) and Wright for cover. This could work but not sure fans would find very acceptable and will quickly turn if the gamble went wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Not sure I'd class "hard as nails" as my prime requirement for a centre half.

Moore is a ball-playing central defender, much in the same mould as Webster. I'd quite like Leeds to target him as I really don't think they'd get much change from him.

I'm aware that I'm sticking my neck on the line somewhat in my support of Moore, but I honestly think that given the chance he'll have an outstanding season for us this year.

Perhaps people have seen him more than me as I've never seen these attributes displayed.  In fact last time I saw him was at RB and looking a bit scatty and nervous.

Edited by Rocky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I'm talking about a defence that's Championship standard, just not outstanding.

Not one with Gus Caesar and Lewin Nytangle at centre-half.

Personally, I'd be happy if we'd bought Ajayi from Rotherham for £2m and then spent  a shed-load on a goalscorer.

The same Ajayi that signed for West Brom a couple of weeks ago?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Not sure I'd class "hard as nails" as my prime requirement for a centre half.

Moore is a ball-playing central defender, much in the same mould as Webster. I'd quite like Leeds to target him as I really don't think they'd get much change from him.

I'm aware that I'm sticking my neck on the line somewhat in my support of Moore, but I honestly think that given the chance he'll have an outstanding season for us this year.

I think so too. We have stuck with him for a couple of years now and he has taken some ‘unglamorous’ loan moves too, which shows he wants to learn. He always looked young and happy, always had a smile on his face, not really the look of a tough defender, but don’t be fooled.

I was surprised how he had changed physically, really developed height and stature. I thought he made a real impact in both boxes against Palace. 

I’m with you, I think we have quite a player in Taylor Moore.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The price is going down, Sky's earlier headline was £22 million not its £20, by the time the days out we will be paying them to take him off our hands at this rate of deflation

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RedM said:

I think so too. We have stuck with him for a couple of years now and he has taken some ‘unglamorous’ loan moves too, which shows he wants to learn. He always looked young and happy, always had a smile on his face, not really the look of a tough defender, but don’t be fooled.

I was surprised how he had changed physically, really developed height and stature. I thought he made a real impact in both boxes against Palace. 

I’m with you, I think we have quite a player in Taylor Moore.

I'd love this to be true!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Realistically had I been posed the question:

”would you swap AW for JDs, TK and KP and have about 8m change” then I’d have thought you were mental. 

Good luck Webby!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rocky said:

I'd love this to be true!

 

 

It is, I’m always right don’t you know!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, vicky10 said:

Kelly/Webster /Mo/...think that alone is valued at around £41m if all contract expectations are met ...(sold £15m?)

I'd forgotten about Mo.....

And my point was that we haven't actually sold Webster yet, so could hardly include that when saying that we've only spent a fraction of what we've sold for.  Like I said, you can't spend money you don't have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Sturny said:

You think we'll find an improvement from Webster?

Or someone who could be as good as or better in other ways? Why not. Webster has been fantastic but he wasnt invincible and I doubt many thought he'd be an improvement over what Flint had to offer at the time.

Let's wait and see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

And we’ve also improved our league position for five years in a row. So maybe, just maybe, they actually know more about running a football club than we do?  

Fair point. Guess we'll see... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Palmer in the team dont think we will be so easy to read this season. Semenyo, Eliasson , Smodicz, Palmer, Odowda, we have many creative players. Dont forget Weimann, think he will be better this season. He runs and want the ball, we have the players now that can feed him. Famara score his goals and Im optimistic. The new gk Im a bit worried about, FF and Mäenpää fiels more safe. Hope my vibes are wrong and the new gk is very good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RedM said:

I think so too. We have stuck with him for a couple of years now and he has taken some ‘unglamorous’ loan moves too, which shows he wants to learn. He always looked young and happy, always had a smile on his face, not really the look of a tough defender, but don’t be fooled.

I was surprised how he had changed physically, really developed height and stature. I thought he made a real impact in both boxes against Palace. 

I’m with you, I think we have quite a player in Taylor Moore.

This.....  He's an absolute unit!  Was almost unrecognisable from the last time we saw him in a City shirt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Or someone who could be as good as or better in other ways? Why not. Webster has been fantastic but he wasnt invincible and I doubt many thought he'd be an improvement over what Flint had to offer at the time.

Let's wait and see.

Wait and see for sure. But it's still a hell of an ask! I'm sure LJ and MA went into this window thinking about back ups for Webster tho 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

The price is going down, Sky's earlier headline was £22 million not its £20, by the time the days out we will be paying them to take him off our hands at this rate of deflation

There's only one conclusion to draw from this: Brighton are currently watching a video of the Palace friendly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

The price is going down, Sky's earlier headline was £22 million not its £20, by the time the days out we will be paying them to take him off our hands at this rate of deflation

Yesterday the press were saying the issue was the £5m extra and it's structure, maybe we got £2m extra now, up to £22m up front and £3m in the structure that Brighton were looking for. Bit of a win for both parties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

We've signed an awful lot of guff over the last few years considering it's a 'plan' 

And that's football right? This isn't football manager it's real life. If every player we signed was perfect and a worldy, I doubt our scouts/decision makers would be at this club.  Be realistic, yes we've signed some that haven't worked out, others that haven't worked out yet, but also some that have been fantastic, have helped to raise this clubs profile and made us a bucket load of profit recently.

So, yeah, I trust the plan

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

We've signed an awful lot of guff over the last few years considering it's a 'plan' 

In terms of centre halves we've signed the likes of Moore, Flint, Baker, Kalas and Webster. Along with bringing through Kelly and Vyner.     Pretty awful guff that. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

There's only one conclusion to draw from this: Brighton are currently watching a video of the Palace friendly!

Going by comments on that game, perhaps they'll pay us to keep him then!?

Seriously though, it's only a matter of time, and to be fair it's one we've been expecting since the first rumour surfaced (if not before). It is a shame but if it then enables us to move forward with a forward, holding midfielder, and maybe a right back or centre back on loan, then it's a good deal.

This is how you build year upon year without throwing stupid money about and becoming self sufficient. If this goes through, and the positions we hope are filled, then by the end of the window we wouldn't have spent loads despite having spent loads, as most of the outgoings are covered by the incomings!

If however the positions aren't filled, then we will have a problem....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roger Red Hat said:

He's the other poster on here that is equally as relentlessly negative as you.

Hahaha I'm not always negative - I'm positive when it's called for

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Cooper.

A good defender clearly, plus the style of Millwall has to be taken into account but a like for like he would appear not to be?

@Davefevs - How does he come out in your WyScout stuff?

I hate those stats that second tier podcast put out as they provide no context, perhaps Millwall's strategy was to play long balls from defensive 3rd to attacking 3rd, that way passing accuracy gets hit big time. They had one about Webster which provided no context as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

This would have been a great loan move, and allowed us to spend money on a striker..

But, I assume we would have got less money for Webster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hodge said:

I hate those stats that second tier podcast put out as they provide no context, perhaps Millwall's strategy was to play long balls from defensive 3rd to attacking 3rd, that way passing accuracy gets hit big time. They had one about Webster which provided no context as well

Agreed, second tier pod is pretty gash. Just two annoying mates rambling about stuff with no real insight or knowledge 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Cooper.

A good defender clearly, plus the style of Millwall has to be taken into account but a like for like he would appear not to be?

@Davefevs - How does he come out in your WyScout stuff?

He’s not a like for like M P

People get carried away with any name they’ve ever heard of on here 

As for stats , be aware of them but many obsessed with them

 

Want a good player , eyes are the secret , not stats

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hodge said:

I hate those stats that second tier podcast put out as they provide no context, perhaps Millwall's strategy was to play long balls from defensive 3rd to attacking 3rd, that way passing accuracy gets hit big time. They had one about Webster which provided no context as well

Says on a Reading fans page he wasn't an ideal fit for Stam's possession based play.

Agree though, stats in isolation can be problematic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scott Mckenna of Aberdeen...Florist had £3M rejected would cost £5-£6m but one of the best defenders in the SPL and plays for Scotland. Well rated and great potential.

Edited by vicky10
error
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

And we’ve also improved our league position for five years in a row. So maybe, just maybe, they actually know more about running a football club than we do?  

Source?   :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...