IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

5 minutes ago, Elruliri said:

The best ones we've done are Carl shutt for super Bob and Steve McClaren for Garry Shelton, brilliant bit of business that.

Although we did pay about £200k for bob with shutt going the other way. Still a good deal.

3 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Well the Kodja experience told us not to believe a damn word the club says. As for people posting what they hear, I doubt anything will come from the club itself, only a small group know about the detail of bids, and sometimes LJ will not even be sure of the amounts involved in buying , at least during negotiations. As for incoming  offers, that is different and the net has many holes, often from the club wanting to buy and/or agent. Wanting to leak info to media etc. to destabilise things . A lot of info comes via agents, and that is where I have over the years had lots of background (business involvement). It is not correct to post on here the info you get as it compromises everyone and risks, worst of all, a City deal , which you never want, but also these things should remain restricted . Also the number of enquiries is vast, but that does not mean a deal has been proposed, MA for example will be talking all the time to other clubs , exploring opportunities. But after the transfer event, it is quite fun to read about wages and fees that are often invented on forums, some so far off the mark it is hilarious , but a few, without doubt are spot on. But the hit rate is very low, as few would know the variables involved in a deal, be it a fee structure or contract structure. They are all very complex today. Prem wages though lead to a lot of overstated Championship wage claims even if the tendency is upward. 

As for Webster, I do not believe the player and agent would easily accept that city turned down a "£20m deal" that would allow him a Prem move. Even offering an improved contract does not compensate a player for not being able to play at the top teams/grounds and a chance to grow also at the highest level. The footballer career is short, and can end rapidly. No one will turn down that chance, no matter how romantic a notion it is that a player would like to battle it out for a top ten/playoff chance with City. It is unrealistic. 

If City are offered £15M plus a striker of quality (for our needs) then it would be a very hard deal to reject and explain to Webster IMHO

I am sure they have explained to Webster that they will sell him at the end of the season if they don't go up, unless a club matches their valuation now. He has a long contract here

7 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Well the Kodja experience told us not to believe a damn word the club says. As for people posting what they hear, I doubt anything will come from the club itself, only a small group know about the detail of bids, and sometimes LJ will not even be sure of the amounts involved in buying , at least during negotiations. As for incoming  offers, that is different and the net has many holes, often from the club wanting to buy and/or agent. Wanting to leak info to media etc. to destabilise things . A lot of info comes via agents, and that is where I have over the years had lots of background (business involvement). It is not correct to post on here the info you get as it compromises everyone and risks, worst of all, a City deal , which you never want, but also these things should remain restricted . Also the number of enquiries is vast, but that does not mean a deal has been proposed, MA for example will be talking all the time to other clubs , exploring opportunities. But after the transfer event, it is quite fun to read about wages and fees that are often invented on forums, some so far off the mark it is hilarious , but a few, without doubt are spot on. But the hit rate is very low, as few would know the variables involved in a deal, be it a fee structure or contract structure. They are all very complex today. Prem wages though lead to a lot of overstated Championship wage claims even if the tendency is upward. 

As for Webster, I do not believe the player and agent would easily accept that city turned down a "£20m deal" that would allow him a Prem move. Even offering an improved contract does not compensate a player for not being able to play at the top teams/grounds and a chance to grow also at the highest level. The footballer career is short, and can end rapidly. No one will turn down that chance, no matter how romantic a notion it is that a player would like to battle it out for a top ten/playoff chance with City. It is unrealistic. 

If City are offered £15M plus a striker of quality (for our needs) then it would be a very hard deal to reject and explain to Webster IMHO

You don’t know Webster’s opinion so that is pure conjecture 

Can’t see any truth in this latest rumour imo, someone showed me the text from the bloke who’s to be fair been spot on in the past, but £15m really? Not a chance unless there’s more to add etc, also I don’t think it’ll be that difficult to remove a magnetic name plate?

28 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

It is pure conjecture that I do not know what he thinks.

It is the dream of any pro player to play at the highest level. Webster would not turn down a move to the Prem. Ask him. 

You saying you know Adam Webster and have asked him? If you are saying that, I don’t believe you. 

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

It is pure conjecture that I do not know what he thinks.

It is the dream of any pro player to play at the highest level. Webster would not turn down a move to the Prem. Ask him. 

He more than likely would like a move to the Prem, but may not fancy a move to Villa? Wouldn’t blame him either.

18 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I am sure they have explained to Webster that they will sell him at the end of the season if they don't go up, unless a club matches their valuation now. He has a long contract here

Or even January. Assuming we don't get promoted and Webster stays fit and plays well (fairly big if's!) then he'll be off within 12 months no matter what. Just be nice to see him as much as possible in a City shirt before the inevitable happens...

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Or even January. Assuming we don't get promoted and Webster stays fit and plays well (fairly big if's!) then he'll be off within 12 months no matter what. Just be nice to see him as much as possible in a City shirt before the inevitable happens...

One of a very small number of players that we'll look back on in a few years and wonder how we got him at all. 

6 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

I am almost certainly in a minority, but I'd have cashed in if Villa really did make a £17m up front with £5m in add-ons bid, and bought Semi Ayaji who has now gone to WBA for a bargain £1.5m. Time will tell whether Ashton/LJ did the right thing by holding out for more or not...

Webster is a serious asset and the £30m price tag was put on him to ‘hopefully’ put prospective buyers off. LJ has said that he wants to build a team around Webster and, like most of us can see what a terrific player he is so why would the club accept anything less than the full £30m?

53 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Why?

Just because he’s our best player that doesn’t make him a leader 

No but LJ has commented publicly about Webster being a big influence in the dressing room. I presume he meant leadership... 

1 minute ago, mozo said:

No but LJ has commented publicly about Webster being a big influence in the dressing room. I presume he meant leadership... 

Fair enough haven’t seen that.

LJ believes that bailey Wright is our only natural leader currently so can’t see him losing the captaincy yet

4 hours ago, old_eastender said:

I am almost certainly in a minority, but I'd have cashed in if Villa really did make a £17m up front with £5m in add-ons bid, and bought Semi Ayaji who has now gone to WBA for a bargain £1.5m. Time will tell whether Ashton/LJ did the right thing by holding out for more or not...

But by keeping him and building around him, we could and I repeat, could hit a jackpot at the end of the season, much bigger than £5million or so?

To sell now would be like AD and Dolman selling Ritchie amd Merrick to Arsenal before we went up in 1976.

26 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

LJ believes that bailey Wright is our only natural leader currently so can’t see him losing the captaincy yet

He loves Pack too. To be fair Pack came over as a keen bean on a couple of those USA videos

7 hours ago, JBFC II said:

6 hours ago, mozo said:

He loves Pack too. To be fair Pack came over as a keen bean on a couple of those USA videos

Assuming Marlon is still a very key player for LJ, then he should be captain.  You’re right, he was certainly looking the part in Florida.

Wright is also in an unknown position, i.e. we exercised his option, so potential lack of commitment on either / both sides to nail down a longer contract.  He’s not a regular starter either, so for me Marlon should be captain.  Webster perhaps vice.

Archived