Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Red Army 75

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

2 minutes ago, Vil1 said:

EIl tell you how lansdown is literally a billonaire. Spend it on a 22 mill forward then fair enough but not the crap french shite we been buying

Yep, only English game strikers can prosper in the English game- look about a bit.

Diedhiou has a reasonable return and Kodjia was a great success.

Players have contracts just like me and you. About time they start honouring it instead of jumping ship for money. You tell them their staying and thats it. Someone name me a replacement 

• Rovers 2

Just now, downendcity said:

Thanks Bob - Ive just realised my mistake and was about to post a further apology.

Don't want all the Swedes tarred with Tommy's brush!

;)

Think I’m right in understanding Garland is the longest ‘serving’ (suffering) of our Swedish Battalion 

1 minute ago, Vil1 said:

Players have contracts just like me and you. About time they start honouring it instead of jumping ship for money. You tell them their staying and thats it. Someone name me a replacement 

This is 2019 not the 60s before Jimmy Hill got the maximum wage scrapped or pre Bosman!

1 minute ago, Vil1 said:

You are a ‘replacement’

:thumbsup:

(you will have to edit your profile yourself though)

4 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

You mean the Ivorian striker who scored over 20 goals for us in one season then was sold to Villa for £15 million? Or the Senegalese striker who was our top scorer last season?

Ye the Ivorian striker that we sold again. As for fammy he cant control a pet hamster let alone a football. Most of his goals were flukes bounced of his foot when trying to control it

• Confused 1
  • Aubergine 6

5 minutes ago, Vil1 said:

So an employer should have the right to prevent an employee from taking another job?

The retain and transfer system went out with Jimmy Hill and Bosman.

Edited by chinapig

7 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

You mean the Ivorian striker who scored over 20 goals for us in one season then was sold to Villa for £15 million? Or the Senegalese striker who was our top scorer last season?

Ye the Ivorian striker that we sold again. As for fammy he cant control a pet hamster let alone a football. Most of his goals were flukes bounced of his foot when trying to control it

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

So an employer should have the right to prevent an employee from taking another job?

The retain and transfer system went out with Jimmy Hill.

Yes that's what a contract is

• Hedgehog 1

Just now, Vil1 said:

Obviously that last part isn't true, and obviously we sold him for £15 million. Because you'd be an idiot not to. And we finished higher the next season. What do people not get about the fact that the way we do business now is smart? We could be in so much financial trouble if we help onto our players until they're past their prime and we throw huge sums of money on English players with inflated prices.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You are a ‘replacement’

:thumbsup:

(you will have to edit your profile yourself though)

Ok bob of to crossfit il be ready in 2 weeks. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Vil1 said:

Some lucky goals yes but some very good finishes in here. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tears in rain said:

Some lucky goals yes but some very good finishes in here. 

The ‘Cant control a pet hamster’ was quite funny Tbf

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

The ‘Cant control a pet hamster’ was quite funny Tbf

True! Yeah in fairness he does have moments where that is true but it’s still a little harsh when you look at some of the goals he has scored 

7 minutes ago, Vil1 said:

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

The retain and transfer system went out with Jimmy Hill.

While the player is under contract the club can reject any offers for him.

However, back in the real world, just how do you think a young  player would react when he heard that his club had "prevented" him from the chance of  lifetime i.e. playing in the premier league, and of setting himself up for life financially with a salary of £2m+ pa?

In cloud cuckoo land we would all like to think they would react positively with the club pleading for them to give us one more season and then go, especially when the player has a history of injury and could be one injury away from being out for a long period. In reality, it would almost certainly affect the player's mindset, no matter how professionally he tried to react. Are the club going to take that risk when £20m is on the table?

Also, we've just spent £17m give or take, on Kalas, Dasilva, Palmer, Szmodics and Bentley. You want SL to spend really big on a striker, so just where is that money meant to come from? ( In asking that question Im taking a calculated guess that ffp rules are an alien concept to you)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Owel agree to disagree im disappointed we let him go. Same with kodja reid etc if we had kept them then were would we be now. We dont need the money

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

However, back in the real world, just how do you think a young  player would react when he heard that his club had "prevented" him from the chance of  lifetime i.e. playing in the premier league, and of setting himself up for life financially with a salary of £2m+ pa?

In cloud cuckoo land we would all like to think they would react positively with the club pleading for them to give us one more season and then go, especially when the player has a history of injury and could be one injury away from being out for a long period. In reality, it would almost certainly affect the player's mindset, no matter how professionally he tried to react. Are the club going to take that risk when £20m is on the table?

Also, we've just spent £17m give or take, on Kalas, Dasilva, Palmer, Szmodics and Bentley. You want SL to spend really big on a striker, so just where is that money meant to come from? ( In asking that question Im taking a calculated guess that ffp rules are an alien concept to you)

On the 13 mill plus add ons for kelly

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tears in rain said:

This guy looks like the goalscorer we need.

Who does he play for and I hope City are looking at him. How much do you think wended to pay to get him here?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

For all of you sad that he looks to be going and our squad will be weaker, for those who can't believe the transfer fee and for those debating if we have a ready made replacement already in the squad, spare a thought.

A thought for Ipswich. For the owners and the fans. People who thought they had a half tidy defender who was rarely fit and who probably thought they had one over us when we lumped out strong money on him.

Turns out, he was fit, and he can indeed play.

That is one hell of a 12 month return.

KERCHING!

Ipswich due £1.85m if 10%, £3.7m if 20%

39 minutes ago, Vil1 said:

Yet again sell our best players fekin waste of time. You want to get to premier then keep your best players. We dont need the money!!!!!!!!!! And lansdown dont want to get there anyway. Same old bull. Its not about money its about getting to the promised land. Best centre back we had in years and your all idiots if you think this is good buisness 

School holidays Vil1?  Aren’t you a teacher?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vil1 said:

Owel agree to disagree im disappointed we let him go. Same with kodja reid etc if we had kept them then were would we be now. We dont need the money

As @Mr Popodopolous covered in his post , yes , I’d agree , at some point we do need to keep our best players for a period and have a full on go

One things for sure , however excited people are at getting in 20/22 million the easiest way to get that coming in , and about 200 odd million on top is to get promoted to the Premier Cash Circus 

When is the dilemma 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Who does he play for and I hope City are looking at him. How much do you think wended to pay to get him here?

I donno about £5.3M?

On the 13 mill plus add ons for kelly

You mean the £13m that helped fund the £17m or so purchases of Kalas, Dasilva, Palmer and Bentley?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Oh so you dig out the best goal he scored what about all the misses. You cant be serious anyone who watches him can see. No movement. No touch. No brain

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

An English teacher?

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Vil1 said:

EIl tell you how lansdown is literally a billonaire. Spend it on a 22 mill forward then fair enough but not the crap french shite we been buying

What planet have you been on? It’s nothing to do with SL and his money...its all to do with Club turnover and ffp rules.He is not allowed to just throw more millions in (on top of those he has already invested)...maybe if the club increased ticket prices to Prem league levels say £50 a match or £100 then we could afford it ...oh no we couldn’t, because we would not fill the seats ..

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Bet he could develop and improve in a couple of seasons here ......

oh......

( Being naughty and playing devils advocate here)

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Contracts are theoretically binding but there is no need for players to formally ask for transfers these days - there was a good piece about this on the FourFourTwo site recently. They just let it be known via their agent and the media that they want to go.

Contracts afford a degree of protection to both parties but they don't in practice make any difference if a player wants to move. Or indeed a club wants to sack a manager.

There is little point in forcing a player to see out his contract, so the club needs to ensure it gets the best price.

24 minutes ago, downendcity said:

An English teacher?

Clearly not a teacher of Maths or a subject that is financially based. :)

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Correct English ;)
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, davidoldfart said:

What planet have you been on? It’s nothing to do with SL and his money...its all to do with Club turnover and ffp rules.He is not allowed to just throw more millions in (on top of those he has already invested)...maybe if the club increased ticket prices to Prem league levels say £50 a match or £100 then we could afford it ...oh no we couldn’t, because we would not fill the seats ..

Do you know the ffp rules obviously not 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Clearly not a Maths or subject that is financial based teacher. :)

I know that if you sell your best players then you get nowhere. Owel back to me cider

Just now, Vil1 said:

Do you? And is your proposed plan for Lansdown to pump in his ‘billions’ compliant? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vil1 said:

Read the Championship FFP thread. You might find it enlightening.

• Like 1

Just now, Vil1 said:

I know that if you sell your best players then you get nowhere. Owel back to me cider

We’re the only football club in the top four divisions in England to increase their league position 5 years in a row. We’ve sold our best players for the past 3/4 years and have got stronger and stronger. I’d leave it to Ashton, Lansdown and Johnson if I were you. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Vil1 said:

I can point out varied clubs here and in Europe as well as us of course, who have sold to progress but they always had that all important go for it year- arguably 2017/18 was one and actually within FFP we could go truly nuts in summer 2020 if we kept our powder pretty dry- however the relative necessary conservatism of others due to said same FFP regs means that this and especially with both Webster and Kelly gone, should IMO be the season!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Yes, that's why Norwich failed so miserably after they sold Maddison. And Sheff U when they sold Brooks.

Just now, Vil1 said:

Oh so you dig out the best goal he scored what about all the misses. You cant be serious anyone who watches him can see. No movement. No touch. No brain

He's scored a few more than 1, as the video showed. 

Don't get me wrong, I would love us to bring in a  goalscorer with a bit of pace. However, the £20m striker to which you refer is someone like Maupey or McBurnie, both of whom are heading to the premier league for £20m fees, and wages likely to be £35m +. Why would either of them chose us over a premier league club and wages well below what they can earn in the premier league?

This isn't about SL not being prepared to put his hand in his pocket and not wanting to get to the premier league ( if you total up the amount he has invested in the club, take a look around the new Ashton Gate and the planned new training ground it might make you think again on that front). It is about the harsh reality of football i  the championship and the financial restrictions placed on owners by the EFL's financial rules.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Only joking Tommy! :)

Completely agree about the progress the club has, and is making. It's not easy replacing a player like Webster but I think the club is getting much better at recruitment, and suspect they have had irons in the fire for some time in anticipation of Webster's departure.

All part of the club's planing and the way we are doing things these days.

No fence, but Im Mikael not Tommy. Always believe, COYR!!!

Just now, Garland-sweden said:

No fence, but Im Mikael not Tommy. Always believe, COYR!!!

I realised afterwards ( thanks to BobBSB!) so apologies to you as well Mikael.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not with grammar like that..on the other hand you are probably correct. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Bet he could develop and improve in a couple of seasons here ......

oh......

( Being naughty and playing devils advocate here)

As was I Bob - but I suspect you guessed that!

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Yes, that's why Norwich failed so miserably after they sold Maddison. And Sheff U when they sold Brooks.

Come on China, you're not playing fair by quoting facts to support your argument.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Read the Championship FFP thread. You might find it enlightening.

To busy for that got cider to drink 

• Haha 1