IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Until any transfers in or out are officially announced via the OS everything else is conjecture, speculation and rumour.

If Webster moves on then it’ll be a shame but not the end of the world as we know it.

I don't think you've made that point nearly enough. Next time there's a rumour you should definitely reiterate it.

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Just resting this here.

This suggests to me it’s a matter of time. 

As above mentioned, Maguire deal starts the ball rolling IMO- I wonder IF we need to re invest in that position- or if LJ sees 3 at the back being ok choosing from 

Kalas Moore Wright Baker Vyner. I wouldn’t be adverse to Moore and Baker either side of Kalas. 

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Until any transfers in or out are officially announced via the OS everything else is conjecture, speculation and rumour.

If Webster moves on then it’ll be a shame but not the end of the world as we know it.

Hence the point of this section of the forum ?‍♂️

This time last year...

“Flint and Bryan gone”

“Kelly not ready to fill Bryan’s boots”

“Flint Replaced by ‘sicknote’ Webster”

and yet our League position improved. 

I wish Webster was staying, but if not, good luck to the lad, he is a very good footballer who deserves his shot. I trust management to replace him with better like we did last year. One day we will be the best option for these types of players to play in the EPL. Not long now. 

1 minute ago, Southport Red said:

This time last year...

“Flint and Bryan gone”

“Kelly not ready to fill Bryan’s boots”

“Flint Replaced by ‘sicknote’ Webster”

and yet our League position improved. 

I wish Webster was staying, but if not, good luck to the lad, he is a very good footballer who deserves his shot. I trust management to replace him with better like we did last year. One day we will be the best option for these types of players to play in the EPL. Not long now. 

Real chance we start to be seen as the Peterborough of the championship in that sense. 

If the big webster deal goes through, i wonder if the club would regret selling kelly?

some of the more “experienced” people on here will recall rovers in the 90s having a succesion of strikers who were bought and then sold on at big profit, which was great until the talent ran out. The pressure to keep replacing our best players when they are sold is huge. Especially when that talent needs to be young enough to hopefully achieve some profit in the transfer market. 

The incoming transfer proceeds from the last 2 summers is huge, but we will start running out of crown jewels to sell?!

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Grumpy, Sulky and Unenthusiastic - I make that three persons? 

Just leaves Sneezy, Dopey, Bashful and Doc to make up the 7!

3 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

If the big webster deal goes through, i wonder if the club would regret selling kelly?

some of the more “experienced” people on here will recall rovers in the 90s having a succesion of strikers who were bought and then sold on at big profit, which was great until the talent ran out. The pressure to keep replacing our best players when they are sold is huge. Especially when that talent needs to be young enough to hopefully achieve some profit in the transfer market. 

The incoming transfer proceeds from the last 2 summers is huge, but we will start running out of crown jewels to sell?!

To possibly sell 2 centre backs for over possibly 40 million pound is extraordinary. With an outlay of 3.5 million and a sell on fee . We just can’t turn that amount of money down. Be tough to replace but we’ve done it before. Interesting end to the transfer window 

14 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Agree. I’m old enough to remember that and often use that as an example too. That would make two seasons running we’ve sold half our defence. Got away with it last year, partly because, in truth, Bryan and Flint were half of a back 4 that shipped goals. But we won’t keep doing it.

And, longer term, the Crown Jewels has to be the Prem TV cash, and we’re going to have to keep our star players to get there. 

• Admin

If I was in charge of recruitment, I’d add the Webster money to our remaining budget, try & pull Chelsea's pants down again whilst signing Michael Hector, try to convince Everton that £1.5m is enough for Joe Williams & hope the rest is enough to convince Swansea to part with Oli McBurnie.

That would be a lovely bit of business 

5 minutes ago, Ian M said:

If I was in charge of recruitment, I’d add the Webster money to our remaining budget, try & pull Chelsea's pants down again whilst signing Michael Hector, try to convince Everton that £1.5m is enough for Joe Williams & hope the rest is enough to convince Swansea to part with Oli McBurnie.

7 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Sheffield Utd have supposedly bid £20m for McBurnie, I can’t see us going there.

Sounds like his valuation is close to being, if not has been, met.

It's a lot of cash, realistically too much to turn down and I know a lot of people have already gone into football manager mode to spend the incoming cash but....

I for one would be gutted to lose him, regardless of the cash. He was the ONE player I wanted us to hold onto this summer. The extra 'quality' that this squad is now begging for.

And at this stage, to replace him, we'll be potentially scrabbling around, being quoted inflated prices.

Having said that, I think there are more potential CB's out there than forwards, so I hope the club's done its preparation for this and a loan replacement from the prem is lined up and rest of the cash is spent on the forwards we need, to soften the blow.

24 minutes ago, DSTAF said:

I'll be amazed if he starts Sunday and if we ever see him in a City shirt again. 

Well considering the transfer window shuts in 12 days and we haven’t accepted a bid yet I expect him to be starting

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Maguire to Man United £75m

Dunk to Leicester £35m

Webster to Brighton £25m

????? to Bristol City 

If Maguire doesn’t move then the whole chain won’t happen in my opinion 

If we used the the £25m plus another £10m we have accrued from sales to buy top quality CB, DM and ST then it will have been a superb window.

We really need to move others on though. Baker, Watkins and Taylor minimum.

We are obviously worried about losing Webster because of the domino effect above us, but Webster going possibly triggers one beneath us too, Van der Horn, Liam Moore, etc.  Or puts us in for place to go for players that other clubs wanted, e.g. (guesswork) Wednesday and Hector.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

From what I have seen of Hector he is the most like Webster. Same height, dominant, dribbles out of defence. Decent pace.

Shame he is not a bit younger than 27. Wonder what kind of fee would get him.

Perfect age for a CB.  £4-6m is my guess.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Just resting this here.

Hope you take sentiments of my emoji in the spirit intended.  ???

If we are genuinely talking £25m plus, £4.3m to Ipswich, £3.5m original fee, that £17.2m pure profit, in one season.  If we go and get a Hector-type and it funds a better rated no9 / striker / forward, then I am well onboard.

Archived